1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RB21 - The Mongol Hordes

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sullla, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Zeviz

Zeviz Chieftain

About plans for what to do post-Cyrus, the last time I've checked neither we nor Washington were anywhere close to gunpowder, so it might be a good idea to keep building military and hit Washington with Maces as soon as we are done with Cyrus. This means it's better to build military units in all cities that are done with essential builds, especially considering that the only way for us to catch up scientifically is by conquering somebody's cities surrounded by developed cottages.

PS I guess our offense will have to rely mostly on Maces now, because Maces v. Crossbows do better than Elephants v. Pikes.

2. sooooo

sooooo Chieftain

IHT: Change tile assignments at Persepolis. The capture of Susa means we have lots of nice tiles to work now. Whip an aquaduct at Parsargadae and a forge at Osaka. Change Kyoto from Temple to Courthouse. I think 7 culture per turn vs 8 culture per turn will be fairly irrelevant when it comes to fighting over tiles. It doesn't need happy either. Beg 160 gold from HC and work the silver at Turfan (need to get to PP as quick as possible). I'm not going to mention individual city builds this turn. If it's a production city it built troops, if it's a commerce city it built a monastersy or later a grocer.

T1 (1226 AD): A persian HA pillages a farm near Susa. I try to take it out with an elephant but lose at good odds so a Keshik finishes him off. Our troops are healing at Susa. In hindsight I think it would have been better to attack Elizabeth rather than Cyrus. The next Persian city looks fairly poor, but it is on the coast so we'll keep it. It is lightly defended so I move our healthy troops forward. I put 1 turn into a barracks at Pars but realise my error next turn. Gotta remember the variant!

T2 (1232 AD): HC circumnavigates, well done him. Whip library in Satsuma.

T4 (1244 AD): Start bombarding Tarsus. It has no food. Ideally I would raze it and place a new city on the Silver to get the Whales, but I think Cyrus' last city will control the culture at that site. I don't think we can capture this last city because it would mean opening borders with Washington (no way should we do that as he is HC's worst enemy) and we have no galleys ATM. Also, it would be swamped with American culture if we took it. Oh, err, Kylearan mentioned we had health problems last turnset. That's because we are giving our only deer to an AI for 3 GPT. I change it to give one of our 3 corn for 4 GPT. I also up the cow deal by 1 GPT.

T5 (1250 AD): Finish bombarding Tarsus.

T6 (1256 AD): Send in 3 suicide cats, all die. I should only have sent 2 in. Mace wins at 95%, mace wins at 95%, elephant loses at 92%, keshik wins at 71%, keshik wins at 100% and we take the city. The silver site is covered by persian culture, so no whales for us yet. Not going to sign peace yet as WW is not a problem and we can do a bit of pillaging. Elizabeth builds Hagia Sophia.

T7 (1262 AD): Finally Printing Press comes in. I want to get some value for it but don't want Elizabeth or Washington to get it. Peter has no open-borders with her but HC does. Neither have OB with Washington. Therefore I do the following deal:

I wait a turn to see if Peter has banking (a pre-req for RP). Elizabeth builds Spiral Minaret.

T8 (1268 AD): Peter does not have banking, so I trade PP for engineering and compas (cheap harbours), which we need anyway.

This trade supports the move to buddhism. He's trading while friendly, yet a pleased civ is WFYHBTA.

Satsuma seems to have all the foreign trade routes, I guess that's because it has a harbour. We're researching banking.

T9 (1274 AD): We have reached the WFYHBTA limit with HC, but he's very close to being friendly which will override it. I trade him our only deer to him for his spare bananas to try to improve relations. Get peace with Cyrus for nothing. He was not willing to throw in optics, only mono. I didn't know if this would add to WFYABTA to I didn't ask for it.

T10 (1280 AD): Lizzy wants us to convert to Hinduism. No. Great news, Lizzy's only trading partner Washington adopts mercantilism. Thanks!

I think we can declare on Lizzy soon. I've moved a few troops towards her but we could do with a few more. She is not so much a runaway any more and is in no danger of getting redcoats soon. Our powers are silimilar which means we will win. Or we could wait for our own rilfes, whatever will be fine. Once she falls we have a guaranteed diplo victory but the variant does not allow that so we will have to turn our attention to Washington. Our economy is quite good now - stable at 50%. We will get a merchant in Kyoto in a few turns.

3. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

I believe I'm up now, yes?

Seems like we could use some courthouses in some of these towns. i.e. Turfan - building a market (25% increase on 11 gpt or 3 gpt) when it could build a courthouse (50% decrease of 10 gpt or 5 gpt). Yes a market will give 2 happies (I think) but a courthouse is cheaper.

Another thing to notice - the gems SE of Pasarg are down to 57% Incan

So what are the team's thoughts on taking it to Lizzie?

I'll probably play tomorrow night unless we get some chiming in tonight, in which case I might grab it tonight

4. sooooo

sooooo Chieftain

Oh yeah, we were able to start the forbidden palace during my turns but I couldn't work out where to build it. I started National Epic in Tokyo.

5. Zeviz

Zeviz Chieftain

It's good to see our research rate back up above 50%.

I agree that if Lizzy isn't close to getting gunpowder we should attack her right away, while we have military and technological parity.

6. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I have to confess I do not build the FP very often. I've built it a few times and hadn't notice much difference with my economy, so now I often ignore it mostly. Mistake?

-Kylearan

7. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I agree, but I would build at least a few elephants anyway to use them against mounted units. Maces are not that great against horse archers trying to pillage. Building spears is not a good idea, as they can be used only against mounted units, while elephants are more versatile and thus help with unit maintenance.

-Kylearan

8. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

Generally stuff looks good. If the only way to reach Cyrus' last city was through using ships... uh, why didn't we just build a galley or two and finish him off? I guess I'm one of the few players who uses a navy constantly in this game... ;)

I'm fine with the plan to attack Liz; she only has six cities, her power is at the same level as ours, all of which means we'll clean up. The time to strike is NOW, before she gets to Redcoats (since she still lacks Printing Press, and we've made sure that Peter/Huayna won't trade with Liz, that means we'll have plenty of time to get the job done before the rifles show up).

Two quick nits: we really should swap some of the cities that were on Buddhist monasteries (having nothing better to build) over to grocers. Or - if you want, we should wait until Banking finishes in 5 turns and then convert them over to banks. The monasteries made sense when we had nothing better to build - but we do now. And let's get some HARBORS going too in our coastal cities! :D

Nit #2: What the hell happened to Kyoto and Tokyo? Kyoto has 37 turns of whip unhappiness, Tokyo has 46 turns! :eek: Unless there was some emergency I didn't read about, there was no reason to whip those cities into the ground. :smoke: Whipping every 15 turns (Epic speed) is the most effective way of doing things. Piling on additional whips should not be done unless there's no other choice. I don't know what we were thinking here... :crazyeye:

regoarrarr, chose your battlefield and take it to the English scum! :king:

9. sooooo

sooooo Chieftain

I think I've got to disagree here. In the middle/late game I usually whip newly conquered cities HARD. These cities usually have farms/fishing nets which lets them recover quickly from the whip. Whipping is most efficient the lower the pop (the citizens grow back quicker) and the hapiness penalty is irrelevant when your hapiness cap is so high. I think it's good to whip a granary/forge/courthouse/lighthouse/library or whatever as soon as you can and not worry about waiting 15 turns for every whip. You get the production benefit (forge) and money (courthouse) much earlier.

Re: Finishing cyrus off. We don't have any high production cities on the coast so a galley or two would have taken a long time. WW was preventing Pars (cottage city) from growing so it was better to get peace IMO. Cyrus has no friends we care about so there's no diplo penalty from declaring on him again in the future. His last city will not benefit us and would probably flip to America if we captured it.

But I agree with your first Nit :)

10. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

I played my turns tonight, but alas the mrs. is calling my name for bedtime, so the report will have to come tomorrow.

I declared on Lizzie. We lost a few units, but beat more, and 2 English cities are ours. She did discover Liberalism first at the end of my turns as well.

Full report tomorrow

11. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I agree with sooooo regarding whips (at least two whips at Kyoto and Tokyo were my doing). I'm not sure why Sulla says whipping every 15 turns on Epic would be the most effective way - it's more efficient to whip as soon as you can (not on the first turn, of course). It's much more shield efficient, you get the effects of the whipped buildings earlier, and the city will grow back faster because it's still smaller and needs less food to grow. By the time the city will have grown back, most of the unhappiness will be gone already.

There are buildings that I normally do not whip, like theatres or monasteries, except when I need them fast for any cultural war the city might be in. But the rest of the essential buildings I whip ASAP, as sooooo does.

I'm excited to see rego's turnset: he captured two English cities already? Sounds great! :hammer:

-Kylearan

12. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

Preturn: Hire an engineer in Persepolis. We're going to get a GP in Kyoto in 2 turns. I hire an engineer there to give us a higher chance for an Engineer - 65% merchant / 28% artist currently. Swap Kyoto to Harbor. Tokyo to Forbidden Palace. Whip the market in Turfan. It's way below its happy cap, so it can use a good whipping.

I notice we have a silk unhooked up near Beshbalik? :smoke: Hopefully our borders just expanded to get that. Sending some workers to hook that up.

1286 (1): Huayna comes asking to swap wine for banana. Sure buddy! Besh cat->court. Arbela pike->knight.

1292 (2): Hanno (Great Merchant) born. He'll finish the rest of banking if we want. Checking the list, the next thing he'll discover is Economics. Seems like that would be a good deal (replace the merchant). So I put him on ice.

1310 (4): Banking comes in. I set us onto Education. Also considered Replaceable Parts for Rifling. Lizzie still doesn't have Gunpowder, but Peter does.

Lizzie also put 2 workers right on the borders. Uh oh! :hammer: I've been assembling the armies, now it's time to see what we've got in ourselves. First I extort 300 gold, and then send in the army! She had 620 gold, but I didn't want to get greedy. I was worried if she shot down the demand for the whole 620, that I couldn't get less. I take the 2 workers and move the stacks forward. Nottingham is quite well guarded. 4 longbows, 2 crossbows, a pike, and 100% defense. Huayna already settled to our NW (by some of the furs) and has another settler pair heading up to another spot. I have a worker roading to one of the furs (Another happy)

1322 (6): Lizzie sends a cat and a longbow to harass Tokyo. I move a mace over (with an axe already there) to make sure no funny business happens. Due to the lack of promotions, nobody has a good shot to take them out.

1328 (7): Bombarding and moving to non river crossing. Elizabeth is bombarding at Tokyo, but even if she gets it down to 0%, I don't think she can take the city.

1334 (8): Now down to 0% in both Nottingham and Hastings. I'll make the attacks next turn.

1340 (9): On the interturn, a mace attacks out of Hastings. Our elephant kills it.

The battle of Nottingham:
    Cat retreats vs. longbow
    Cat dies to longbow
    Cat dies to longbow
    Cat retreats vs. longbow
    Knight beats pike
    Mace beats longbow (@40% odds)
    Mace beats crossbow (60%)
    Elephant beats longbow (59%)
    Pike beats crossbow (@33%)
    2 longbows there but the only fighters left are 2 keshiks, who have 23% odds each. Though this battle has featured me winning at CRAZY odds, so I give them a try. They die though. Probably :smoke: on my part.

Battle of Hastings:
    Cat dies to longbow
    Cat retreats vs. longbow
    Cat retreats vs. longbow
    Elephant beats longbow
    Mace beats longbow
    Elephant beats mace
    Elephant beats longbow
    Elephant beats longbow

Plus then an elephant smacks a rogue cat. She did sail a galley and a caravel out. Hastings comes with a courthouse, lighthouse and forge.

1346 (10): Elizabeth is the first to discover Liberalism. Battle of Nottingham, part deux. At the cost of a mace and an elephant, we sack 2 longbows and a cat and...

Nottingham (again - the Christian holy city) has a harbor, forge and an academy!

13. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

Huayna is up to +10 with us, but still pleased, and still on the WFYABTA tip. Peter is +13. He doesn't have Banking, but the only thing he'll give us is Monotheism (he also has Philo, Education and Optics). Lizzie also has those, along with Music, Liberalism (which we can't see), and whatever she took from Liberalism (which we also can't see). Peter has another gpt which we can proably get for our cow deal.

Tech-wise, we have 9 turns till Education. The more I think about it, the more I think we should have taken Replaceable Parts. Sorry about that.

Military, I'm not sure we can press on much more vs. England - our troops are pretty wounded. Task force east has 2 elephants, a mace, a pike, and 3 cats (mostly wounded, but with a knight and cat on the way). In the west, we have 5 elephants, 3 cats and a mace, though there is the English longbow/cat pair near Tokyo and a pike floating around. Persepolis has 3 war unhappies and now has an unhappy. Lizzie won't talk yet but probably will soon. The war has gone incredibly well - I won a lot of battles that I had no business winning (low odds). Maybe that makes up for my horrible battle luck in a game which shall not be mentioned for a few days :mischief:

Religion - we need 4 missionaries - Nottingham (Hastings already has Buddhism), Tarsus, Susa and Satsuma.

Builds - Tokyo is on the FP - It's currently on 89 turns to go, but it's in high food mode to grow. Once it gets near its happy cap, we can use a bunch of the mines over there. Susa is building our first galley :) - we can probably take Cyrus's last city if we want to. Satsuma's market could be whipped, and Ning-Hsia's forge probably can next turn. Turfan is building a harbor - I put it on the silver, so it's due in 8. We could whip it, but when we can bulid it naturally in a small amount of time, might as well

Lands - Huayna's settler pair went into Huamanga for some reason. We're roading one of the furs in the north, where we can put a camp on it for another happy. I probably have some :smoke: with worker actions. I find this to be a weak part of my game - deciding what to do with all the workers.

GP - Our next GP will come at 400 GPP. My calculations show that with an engineer in Persepolis and none in Kyoto, we'll get an engineer in Persepolis in 39 turns (205 + 5/t). Kyoto is at 84 + 6/t. We still have Hanno the merchant. He will discover (probably most of) Economics, once Education is researched. I also just checked, and he'll discover 1884 beakers (of 4212) of Replaceable Parts. That's probably a better use of him. Once we discover Education, the GM will do Economics and then Corporation.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/4766/1156596125.civ4savedgame

14. hagger

hagger Chieftain

these RB games are always a good read! very interesting learning about different playing styles, and hearing the pros and cons of each.

now, if i could only buy a new graphics card, i could try out my own ideas on civ4 :(.

15. sooooo

sooooo Chieftain

Well done in taking those 2 cities Regoarrarr. Though as you said you did have some lucky results :). I hope we can hold nottingham - Liz won't talk to us yet. Our western flank may be able to push on to York (Hindu holy city). If not then we can do some pillaging. A few points:

You said peter will only trade Mono. But he will trade optics for banking which I think we should take.

We don't need education for rilfling (which I thought we were bee-lining for?) because we can get gunpowder from guilds. If lizzy has liberalism she will surely be chasing the GM from economics - I don't think we have a chance here even with a GM to speed economics up.

Tech path IMO should be: Stop Education, start Gunpowder (trade it for philosophy) then replacable parts (trade it for nationalism if anyone has it) then rifling. Use the merchant for replacable parts. As soon as we have nationalism I would switch to nationhood and draft a round of muskets. Once the penalty has worn off we should have rifling and can draft again.

16. regoarrarr

regoarrarr Chieftain

Well, we're about halfway to Education now - not sure if we should just stop it. Plus, since it's another optional pre-req to Gunpowder it will make Gunpowder cheaper to research.

I agree that we should have gone right for Replaceable Parts though

17. sooooo

sooooo Chieftain

Education won't make Gunpowder 9 turns cheaper to research. If we are going to beeline for something we need to commit wholeheartedly to it and not deviate for universities etc until we get there. We still don't have many really good military production cities so I think rifling is the best choice here because of the power of drafting. Muskets are good too. Normally they are weak compared to macemen because macemen can be city raiders. In our variant that's irrelevant and also muskets aren't vulnerable to crossbows.

18. Sullla

I have the save and I hope to play sometime tonight. I will see what I can do about prosecuting the war, or at the least crippling Liz through some extensive pillaging. :)

19. Sullla

(0) 1346AD OK - after some problems, I do manage to get the save file opened. Note for everyone: the filename for Civ4's savegames is case sensitive. Make sure that the file you upload reads XXX.Civ4SavedGame, because if you end up with XXX.civ4savedgame, the game won't recognize it! (The "Easy Upload" system is a proving to be a huge step backwards and enormously irritating. It renames everything to lowercase letters without prompting. I'm not quite sure what we're going to do about the new file/image limits. I understand why they would be implemented, but still... :()

We're at war with England and have just captured two cities, meaning our armies are in the painfully long process of healing (given our promotions-challenged variant). Looking through our cities, we have exactly 1 city producting military: Arbela, our Heroic Epic city. That's basically giving up on the conquest of England without a fight. I'm going to scout out the situation at London before making a decision on that; if the defenses are light there, I'm absolutely going to veto just about everything and crank out some more units to get this war rolling again.

Our cities are still far below the happiness cap, and still running unnecessary specialists. The city management is not as tight as I would expect for a succession game (no offense, but there are some pretty weedy moves going on at the moment in our tile/specialist assignments). Fire an Engineer at Karakorum and start working a cottage. Beshbalik looks good to begin cranking units after it finishes its courthouse this turn. Pasargadae also fine.

This is why we should have finished off Cyrus earlier:

The "yearn to return to the motherland!" unhappiness sticks permanently with cities you've captured from other civs until they've been eliminated (or until you've reached dominant culture in them). That's why I prefer to take out civs completely, even if it means some more struggling with war weariness in the short term... Anyway, the city manangement for Persepolis is very strange, as we are NOT working our two villages there (?) Reconfigure things quite a bit. I also don't understand the market build, but with it only 3 turns from completion, I'll let it finish. I would have thought that we would be producing, like, UNITS here while we were at war, ya know? ;)

My goodness... WHAT is going on at Arbela?!?! :smoke:

The working of the coastal tile there... :smoke: [pimp] I don't like to pick on other players in succession games, but we spent SO much time discussing how to run Arbela, it makes me cringe to see the workshop ignored while meaningless commerce from the coastal tile gets worked instead. Urg.

I note also that a bunch of our cities have been double or even triple whipped in this game. *sigh* This is one area where I simply do NOT agree with some of our other players on the team. (Been an odd SG in a lot of respects, not seeing eye to eye with some of the teammates. That's not necessarily bad, but it does make things awkward at times.) Yes, whips are more effective at smaller sizes, because it takes less food to grow each population size. However... I would argue that the benefits of whipping at a smaller size are offset by the way you tie your own hands with piling on additional whips. On Epic speed, one whip will cause 1 point of unhappiness for 15 turns. A second whip means you have 2 points of unhappiness for 30 turns, the third whip 3 points for 45 turns. I think it's MUCH more prudent to apply those whips separately, one at a time, adding just one unhappy face each time, rather than stick yourself with three unhappy faces for an ungodly long 45 turns. What if the conditions change suddenly, or you need to apply another emergency whip? Then you have FOUR unhappy faces for the duration! Tying up your cities that way for so long seems like especially bad form for a succession game, but that's just my two cents.

Anyway, I cancel the courthouse build in Osaka and order some more UNITS (a mace). Kyoto is preferring coastal tiles to its cottages, so I reconfigure there, with the long-term investment in mind. I totally do NOT understand the Forbidden Palace build in Tokyo (this national wonder is not going to do much of anything and it will take forever to finish), so I cancel that and order a cheap harbor. Ning-hsia needs worker attention, and I think it should have done a lighthouse before forge, but oh well. Susa needs a LOT of attention, but the workers outside the city are sleeping?! I put them to work bringing irrigation to the city. I don't understand the galley build either, but since the city is in whipping hell for the minute, I'll let it go on. Tarsus needs a lighthouse more than a granary, so I swap to that and will whip it next turn. We also have 0 culture here, so THIS is where a Buddhist missionary should have been sent! Also queue up granaries in our captured English cities, for whipping purposes (you get a jump on the first project if you queue it up ahead of time).

Diplomatically, I'm also quite sure that Lizzie took Economics with her free Liberalism tech. Since we can trade Banking for Optics with Peter, as soooo mentioned, I go ahead and do so. (We also get 80g in the deal, hooray!) I do not understand why we were researching Education, so I swap to Replaceable Parts. Burn the Great Merchant, he knocks out half of the cost, and swap to 100% research. That will get the tech in 5 turns; we'll run out of money before then, but we should get the tech before the end of my round. Then we can hopefully trade it around and get some more goodies as we proceed to Rifling and Nationalism.

Sorry to be a SG nazi here, but some of the actions when I inherited the turns seemed to be lacking focus and direction. We're moving smoothly along and exceeding my expectations for the game, but I'm a compulsive nitpicker. Sorry! :D

20. Sullla

(1) 1352AD Arbela finishes knight, goes to mace. Generally speaking, given the slow pace of our armies, we don't have a ton of use for 2-move units at the moment. Having a couple on hand is good, but we probably don't need more than those couple. Maces are significantly cheaper than knights, and we get a free Combat I from them, so I'll stick with them until we can trade for Gunpowder.

Our knight in the south scouts forward, and oh yeah - we can definitely take London:

That Great Merchant confirms that Lizzie went to Economics with her free tech, by the way. One thing that we CAN'T do, however, is split up our attackers into two stacks. We just don't have the forces needed to pull it off! I'm going to concentrate on taking London first, then work over the rest of the cities one at a time. (Another note for regoarrarr: grouping units together to move them is a godsend at times, but stacking ALL the units together on a heal command, when several of them are unhurt, is less than optimal! This is the second turnset I've had to separate our attackers manually.) Whip the lighthouse in Tarsus.

(2) 1358AD Elizabeth, who got a Great Engineer last turn, rushes Taj Mahal and triggers a golden age (just what we needed...) Borders expand at Osaka, pulling in a gems resource! Woohoo, even MORE happiness! :cool: (I have NEVER been this fortunate with happy resources on Emperor before.) I spot two units who were healing OUTSIDE the city of Nottingham this turn... why they were assigned a healing order there on the last turn, I don't understand. More healing as our two healthy cats (both guarded by other units) continue inching closer to London to begin the siege.

(3) 1364AD I have to dial science down to 50%, Replaceable Parts due in 4 turns.

What the...? Two workers outside Karakorum finished their queued job and chopped down a plains forest there for irrigation. With Replaceable Parts just 4 turns away, and Karakorum a heavily shields-POOR city, I do not understand this decision at ALL. I really wish I had caught that move earlier on my turn. I would have much preferred to save that forest for a lumbermill. :rolleyes:

I can also now see into Canterbury, south of London; it is weakly defended. If we can take London, we should be able to take the rest of the English cities. I'll do my best to get the capital on this turnset.

(4) 1370AD Lizzie attacks OUT of her cities aggressively, killing a knight, elephant, and a cat, but using up her own catapult reserve and several other units in the process. Pretty much a draw, in other words. Mostly still waiting on units to heal and reinforcements to arrive at the front before the attack proceeds in full.

(5) 1376AD More skirmishing with Liz. She finally suicides her longbow against Tokyo, and I clean up the retreating cat with a mace. While the cats heal in the west, the recovered elephant/maces in the area are heading to pillage Lizzie's iron. Whip market in Satsuma.

(6) 1382AD Discover Replaceable Parts, let's see what I can do diplomatically. Huayna still won't trade for us until we get to Friendly, but Peter... O what a deal I can make with him!

He wouldn't trade us Education for anything other than straight-up for Replaceable Parts (bad deal!), but I was able to get Philosophy, Music, cash + WM, and a war declaration on Elizabeth. Woohoo! :) We'll let Peter's knights beat their heads against Lizzie's cities and then clean up the spoils! Next up... Gunpowder or Nationalism? I'm leaning towards Nationalism, but I will pass on the decision by running 0% science for a couple turns. One of the advantages of SG play!

Liz killed one of our maces (in a forest!) with a crossbow at 25% odds. That was a bit of a downer... It will delay our attack on her iron by a turn.

(7) 1388AD Liz continues to charge units out of her cities to attack. I have no idea what she is doing. She killed two war elephants between turns, but she sacrificed four of her own units to do it. Umm, yes, we can continue to fight at those odds. About the only thing she IS doing is continuing to prevent me from pillaging her iron.

Washington is STILL moving that stack around, you know the one with the horse archers we've been seeing since the Ancient Age, but I'd be pretty surprised to see an actual declaration at this point. And we can handle it without too many problems even if he did declare.

(8) 1394AD O ho! Lizzie has retreated the longbow guarding her iron:

I'll be pillaging THAT next turn, and then no more crossbows or maces! Woot! :hammer:

Oh - and Huayna rolls over to Friendly and will now trade with us! Yay!

We're way over the WFYABTA limit (the only reason our buds will trade with us is due to Friendly relations), so I go ahead and get Monotheism tech too. Note: Huayna WAS willing to declare on Washington for Replaceable Parts. Washington isn't exactly running away with the tech race, so I saw no reason to do that, but we should keep that in mind for the future. I'll run one more turn of 0% cash, then swap over to Nationalism research. We're down a couple of techs to pretty much everyone, but no more than 3-4, and nothing critical. Pretty good for all this warring!

(9) 1400AD Not wanting to be left out, Huayna declares war on Lizzie too! :crazyeye:

Also, between turns Liz attacked out of her cities AGAIN. She lost four units and killed one mace. I have NO clue what she's thinking! We're whittling down her forces without even attacking the cities. (Maybe if she was doing it intelligently... but she's not.) She has been in a golden age my whole turnset, yet her power continues to decrease, heh.

Nottingham comes out of resistance and I whip its granary (heck, the people were going to starve anyway!) Lizzie also recovered her iron resource with a longbow, so I can't pillage it. Ah well.

(10) 1406AD More bombing of London. And... I'm out of time. I would wait two more turns at London before attacking, with the attack coming in 1418AD. Make sure to cover those hill tiles south of the city so Liz doesn't reinforce London from Canterbury!