RB24 - Big Brother

I've got units all over the place and no idea what any of them are doing. I don't plan to make any offense against Greece -- we've got nothing to gain.

Why are we running 20% culture? The only city that needs that is Seville, and it's missing a market (+2 happy.) Also, that city is drastically overpopulated, so I go to whip the market... and discover we're not in Slavery. :crazyeye: Well, I do drop the culture to 10% and let Seville stew for a while.

Steel came in, and we discovered that Little Bro already has Railroad. I set research to Medicine; we got it towards the end of my reign and swapped it to Monty for Railroad. :goodjob:

I reorganized our resource deals with Little Bro. Canceled exports of Horses and Coal, since he's got his own now. And he somehow turned up lacking Marble, which we're bound to supply as it's a strategic resource. I ended up trading him Marble + Silk for Wheat + 15gpt.

Arretium is anointed as the location for the Iron Works, in part because it's on a river so can do the Three Gorges Dam later. Also, it happens to have both iron and coal within the city radius -- just like the Iron Works in Civ 3. :) Accordingly for our new hammer capital, I gave it some watermills and workshops and a coal plant.

I trained a number of fresh Workers, since we're still behind schedule on lumbermilling, and we've got a massive railroading project to do now. (Have fun, next leader. Prioritize Arretium for that Iron Works.)

In 1810 AD (my turn 5), we made peace with Alex. He paid us 660g + 10/turn. That killed the war weariness, so culture tax to 0%. Louis made peace with Alex too shortly later, so the world is back at peace.

Research is now set to Combustion. Don't research Physics, because Saladin has it. He's in "not yet" mode right now but should trade it to us eventually; we've got plenty of trade bait on our side.

Madrid will pop a Great Person on the next leader's turn. We have a Great Artist saved, and Madrid's GP won't be an Artist, so have fun with your Golden Age. ;)

Monty is still Friendly. I didn't have anything creative available to give as a birthday gift, so he got a nice sizable check for $200.

I played 10, if the team does not mind much. I’m pressed for time, and there are a couple of rather large, though interesting, decisions to make that I don’t want to rush through, nor do I want to put them off another 5 turns, as they could be somewhat critical.

What did happen on my turn:
-We popped another great person (not an artist, though it wasn’t an impossibility. More on that later…)
-We discovered combustion and communism, and began researching flight. Well, barely. But anything to get him to rocketry quickly. But Monty has electricity. (The Saint of Small Fluffy Creatures Everywhere was most dismayed)
-We began the revolt to State Property. (More on that later…)
-We began the ironworks in Arretium. (I slipped in a temple, which took two turns, allowing us to hire an engineer, which shaved three turns off the ironworks, for a net saving of 1 turn. Whoot.)

-We built stuff; markets, temples, Christian missionaries…that sort of thing.
-I spread Christianity. To one city. :lol: There’s still room for some more spreading, especially in France, although Sally is in theocracy.
-We moved troops around. Nothing major: I just made sure our cities on the border had troops enough to make a semblance of a defence against a surprise attack from Sally or Alex.
-We hooked up oil and uranium. We have three sources of oil (all on our borders!!), and one of uranium. ‘Lil bro has both, but his oil is not hooked up…

Happy birthday, bro.
-We traded physics from Sally for Steam Engine and some change (Sally’s change, not ours).

What didn’t happen on my turn
-I didn’t spawn a Golden Age. Call it a barbed gift to my successor (who may want some input from the team). Do we spawn a Golden Age, or (to save a thousand words):

-I didn’t get out of anarchy; it will only happen after my successor presses enter. But the big question of the day is this. On a map with huge corruption costs, for a civ with a large empire, HOW how much of a financial advantage does of state property offer over free market?

Before:

After:
???

And before I forget, the save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/35362/Romulus_AD-1830.Civ4SavedGame

You dared to DELAY my carefully prepared Ironwor... oh. Ok. :crazyeye: :goodjob:

State Property -- how long was the anarchy? Probably a good move, especially with the several watermills that I built. We should now build watermills everywhere that won't replace a grown town or cut off irrigation to somewhere important.

Ooh, I like the Pentagon. Do make sure the Engineer will be enough to complete it in a single turn; if not, start building it and don't spend the Engineer until he'll complete it. I'd say to put it in Ravenna because that city has the National Epic so the wonder's GPP will pay off a bit more.

What's that second icon - the Kremlin? That doesn't do any good if we're not in any civics that allow rushing. :lol:

T-hawk said:
You dared to DELAY my carefully prepared Ironwor... oh. Ok. :crazyeye: :goodjob:
It was a tough decision, especially with Monty's God's so insistent, but I do so hate unhappy faces.

T-hawk said:
State Property -- how long was the anarchy?
A painful 2 turns. But I really expect it to pay off. :)

T-hawk said:
Ooh, I like the Pentagon. Do make sure the Engineer will be enough to complete it in a single turn; if not, start building it and don't spend the Engineer until he'll complete it.
He won't. The engineer will contribute around 1,100 of 1,800 shields or so (quoted from memory). However, the other civs have had the chance to build it for a while now, and it was available my entire ten turns. Worth a shot, though.

T-hawk said:
What's that second icon - the Kremlin? That doesn't do any good if we're not in any civics that allow rushing. :lol:
Pssshh....let's not get technical. We do also want to get the FBI, or KGB, or whatever, built, for spies. Not worth wasting the engineer, though.

Kylearan said:
Oh, and theGrimm, you do know that you're special, don't you? To me, the Gods never talk... :crazyeye:
-Kylearan

Hmmm, you mean you've never seen huge purple banners flying over your house, saying things like "Buy more Beer" or "Out of Cheese"??

It must just be that Atlas trusts you more than T-Hawk trusts me. :lol:

Okay I have the save.

It must just be that Atlas trusts you more than T-Hawk trusts me.

Hey, back in the Civ 3 days, anybody following me in SGs knew to expect that kind of direction. Now I can put those directions right in the savegame. :groucho:

The engineer will contribute around 1,100 of 1,800 shields

The formula is 600 + 20 per pop in the city; on Epic that adjusts to 900 + 30*pop. A size-15 city should get 1350 hammers from a GE.

I have a sneaky suspicion I didn't get communism to Monty; Atlas, you may want to look into that.

The thing is, Monty was so busy trying out various brands of hair gel, that he didn't want to meet for tea like usual. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Hi,

theGrimm said:
Hmmm, you mean you've never seen huge purple banners flying over your house, saying things like "Buy more Beer" or "Out of Cheese"??
If those banners were from T-hawk, they would be highly detailed. Not "Buy more Beer", but something like "Buy 6 bottles of 'Paulaner' Beer at the 'Penny' shop downtown tomorrow evening, and make sure to bring the right coins so no change will be wasted!". :lol:

-Kylearan

I went ahead and played 15, hope that is okay. Here is the save- http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/64087/Romulus_AD-1845.Civ4SavedGame

Okay- so the comp froze on me :sad: lost the first 5 turns of notes, but no biggie- God Bless autosave (Grimm next time you see him tell him I said keep up the good work). Then when I am trying to get my pics up- imgeshack gets a little persnickity :mad: - I only got one pic up before i ran into trouble (edit: restarted and now it is working)

Basically the first 5 turns went like this- found which city (beside Arretium) had the most hammers and started Pentagon there (in Pisae) and move the engineer to there. Anarchy finished and we jumpped up economically. Started Scotland Yard in Arpium now due in 14 turns. And the ever present worker shuffle. Now for a screenshot reconstruction-

Power Graph

After Anarchy

Seville after wall street

Bit of culture issue in Toledo (I canceled our marble to Monty and replaced it with Ivory so we could build this faster.

T6-Pop another one in Barcelona (gold).

T10-Ironworks finishes, time to fix the health and happy problems there. Flight comes in and we catapult into the Modern Era- Rocketry started immediately-due in 8.

T14- Yeilded this bad boy-Pentagon in Pisae

the Gift was flight- go get your self some new feathers Monty, those ones on your head are sooo raggity- they are like 5000 years old

Kylearan said:
Got it. Apart from Monte getting distracted in a large-scale war which *might* cause a small problem, I think this game is won...
Agreed- We need to just keep pumping him with Technology; It appears that since Monty and we are sharing almost (no electricity trade :mad: ) all our techs there really isn't anybody for Monty to trade with- Louis still didn't have Steam Power :rolleyes: for example. I think we should finish Rocketry and then head right to the Space Elevator tech- then back to the top of the tree to grab the free Engineer and give him to Monty- gifting it in exactly the city that Monty is building the Space Elevator.

Alternatively we head right to Industrialism to reveal Aluminum so that Monty can get that online too.

Any other ideas out there?

Can we see which city Monty is building the space elevator in without spies? Time to get some spies hanging about, anyway.

Heading for computers / space elevator seems a good idea to me. Industrialism is en route, isn't it, so we can prioritise it.

I won't complain about being able to build stacks of tanks, either. It's not like we have spaceship parts and related things to build. We may want labs for the research bonus.

Any danger of losing to the UN? It will be us against Monty...what if everyone but us votes for Monty? We'd abstain, of course...

We might want to build some of the modern wonders, if only to save Monty the shields of building the useless things himself. But the cash injections may help his research.

Damn it, this is the fourth evening in a row where I expected to be able to play, and again something came up. On top of that, both me and my wife got the flu, so...I won't get to play this today, again. :mad:

I'm sorry for holding this up for so long. I really expected to be able to play, and had always believed I wouldn't need a skip because I would have time to play the following evening...:wallbash:

So while I think I could play tomorrow, I've finally learned from my mistakes and now un-get the game. If Bede or T-hawk have time to play, please go ahead. If the game is not claimed by tomorrow, I will get it again. If nothing unexpected will happen for a change, that is... :sad:

-Kylearan, ashamed team captain

I won't be able to get on this tonight, but can definitely play Thursday. I should have picked up earlier but the bookshop is in pre-season frenzy so time has been tight.

Top Bottom