1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RB2a - Mali - Noble - Just Win Baby!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Speaker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

RB2a
    Speaker (Captain)
    Voodoocat
    Snaproll
    -Angelus-
    Skyfish
    Sebmono

We are RB2a of the Malinese Empire!

Here is our starting location.

2. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

As I'm learning the game, I like to take a medium view, high enough to see the land around me, but low enough to enjoy the new visual details. This picture was taken at about 4-5 clicks below globe view.

4000BC (1): In my limited Civ4 experience so far, this looks like a pretty nice start. We've got corn and a couple grasslands, which should take care of all our food needs. There are three wine resources within the city limits, and we're even on the coast. I expect this will be a powerhouse city for production, with three hills and a bunch of plains.

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, I move the warrior onto the hills south east, revealing three Ivory resources. With no really good reason to move apparent to me, I found Timbuktu. Clams are revealed in our city radius, and pigs nearby to the northwest. This looks like a great start!

I select a warrior to build, work the corn tile for growth, and start research (manually clicked F6) on Mysticism--due in 6--to hopefully found a religion after that.

3960BC (2): I decide to explore in the northeast direction. Since we have some coast to our west, east seems as good a direction as any. I love not being able to tell where you are on the minimap!

3920BC (3): Wheat is revealed 4 tiles diagonally from Timbuktu. This sure is a resource-rich start! I wonder if this is an annomaly or what we can expect, but 3 turns in and I already see 10 resources!

3880BC (3): Make that 11, as I find more pigs.

3840BC (4): I see a hut, err village, but with only 2 turns on Mysticism, I don't want to risk popping it from the hut. I'll wait until I start my next technology.

3800BC (5): Borders of Timbuktu expand, revealing two more huts, err villages. Note: With Mysticism due next turn, I don't have to turn down the research slider to maintain efficiency, like in Civ3. Excess beakers/food/shields err hammers get carried over to your next project. My warrior climbed up a hill, and saw some ice further north, so we're likely near the north pole. He will circle back southward now.

3760BC (6): Mysticism comes in and I start work on Polytheism. I'm guessing (I may be way off here) that Meditation is usually researched first by Spiritual Civs, so we probably don't have much of a chance at it.

3720BC (7): Step into the hut, err village and I do get a technology. But it isn't the one I'm working on (Polytheism). It's Fishing. Beggers can't be choosers I suppose. Timbuktu grows

3680BC (8): Buddhism is founded in another land. With Polytheism due in 8 turns, I'm not sure we have a chance at Hinduism either. Timbuktu grows to size 2, with a few food saved from the last turn. That's a nice new feature. I pick a high-commerce wine tile, sacrificing a little growth for a chance at Hinduism (shave a turn off Polytheism--due in 7).

3640BC (9): Exploring.

3600BC (10): Exploring. Find some sheep to the East.

3560BC (11): Warrior is due next turn, so I mm a bit, making sure to emphasize commerce. Poly is now due in 3.

3520BC (12): Warrior trained, heads northwest to explore. Start work on a barracks. I ultimately plan to complete a worker next, but I can get started on the barracks in the meantime. Marble discovered to the East.

3480BC (13): Discover Polytheism and found Hinduism. Warriors keep exploring. Switch citizens in Timbuktu back to an emphasis on growth (in my own mind, not using the governor), and start work on Agriculture. I was considering Meditation, to build a hindu monastary, but I'm guessing we'll need to pop out a worker before a missionary and he ought to have some sweet farm-building skills.

3440BC (14): Southern warrior sees a pack of lions and moves into the forest for a defensive bonus. Northern warrior approaches a hut, err village.

IT- Warrior successfuly defeats lion, losing 0.6 of its health in the process.

3440BC (15): Village provides maps. Oasis and incense to the south.

3400BC (16): Exploring.

3360BC (17): Warrior destroys another lion without a scratch and now has 5 exp.

3320BC (18): I take the Woodsman promotion, which I think is more useful than city raider (attack a city with a warrior?!) or a strength upgrade at this point. One more promotion and we have (basically) a strong scout.

3280BC (19): Exploring.

3240BC (20): Fortify in the forest, with another lion in range. Timbuktu grows to size 3 and I switch to a worker--due in 10. The barracks is in the queue, to be returned to at a later date.

IT- Warrior defeats lion without a scratch and upgrades again. He is now a "Woodsman II," which means he can move twice if he steps into a forest or jungle. So you'll likely want to make your first move into a forest/jungle and your second step anywhere else, trying to always keep a forest/jungle within 1 tile for the next turn.

3200BC (21): Exploring.

3160BC (22): Finish Agriculture, start Hunting, to move us toward our unique unit, the Skirmisher, an archer replacement with archery. Another priority tech is likely animal husbandry. A cow is revealed in the south. Pup a hut and get a free scout.

3120BC (23): Exploring.

3080BC (24): Scout gets 36 gold from a hut.

3040BC (25): Borders of Timbuktu expand.

3000BC (26): See green borders and meet Monty.

IT- Wolf attacks our Woodsman II warrior and we win.

2960BC (27): Discover Hunting. I really have no idea what to work on next. We'll need Animal Husbandry soon to tame those pigs, but we have nother tiles that will need attention first (since the pigs are not in our city radius). We will also need Archery soon to make our Unique Unit. But I ultimtely choose meditation, so we can think about converting Monty to the "true path." Well, hopefully we can actually reach him. He may be on another continent.

2920BC (28): Nope, he's on our continent. Also meet Cathy and say hi.

IT- Woodsman is critically injured (0.7 health left)but defeats a panther.

2880BC (29): Woodsman heals. Scout scouts.

2840BC (30): Worker is trained and begins a farm on the corn. I think the two-step workers is one of the best improvements in the game. It definitely relieves a lot of tedium. Timbuktu production is up to Voodoocat. Barracks is currently queued up, but feel free to change as you see fit.

Just Win Baby!

3. voodoocat

voodoocat Finally ok with Arizona

2640 (5): We discover meditation and I start research on animal husbandry so we can grab that bacon soon! The farm is finished and we are healthier than ever. After a tight bidding war, Maliburton gets the contract to retrieve ivory for the Great Piano small wonder. We'll place it on I-70 at mile marker 112 in Indiana for people to see when they're driving through to someplace else.

2600 (6): Greetings Asoka, leader of the Indians.

2540 (7): So Alexander... sup continent buddy.

2480 (9): We meet Tokugawa and will soon begin trading our ivory for a nintendo.

2400 (11): We discover Animal Husbandry and start research on Priesthood. Soon it will be temple-time. Work on the barracks is complete and begin work on a Settler. City size is now 4.

2320 (13): Tokugawa can't stand to cut into profits so he adopts Slavery.

2240 (15): Cat seems to think forced labor is where it's at as well.

Let's Roll

4. Snaproll

Snaproll Hamster Sidekick

Saved Game - 1680 BC

Well, it's been a long time since I've played one of these - not since 1.29f! I hope I can still manage. I'm still learning the ropes on Civ4 - hopefully I don't screw up anything TOO badly!

Pre-turn - 2240 - Surveying the area, I notice that Timbuktu has 3 wine, a corn, and a clam, but just misses the pigs and the ivory. A settler coming soon - I have that always unenviable position of deciding where the second city in a succession game goes! Is there a choice that causes more consternation among SG players?

Turn 1 - 2200 - Priesthood comes in, and I need to decide what to do next. Learning this new tech tree is going to take some time. I consider Monarchy very strongly because it lets us produce wineries, which we need. Unfortunately it would take us 30 turns, so I put it off. Pottery for granaries and cottages? Bronze working? Nah, I don't see us having to deal with war soon - our neighbors seem to be clustered together kind of far from us. Monotheism for another religion and oraganized religion? I decide on pottery. With our civ traits, cottages seem to me that they'll be very useful since we get an extra gold from each one. I send the worker off to start on a road south leading to the next civ site (I made a dotmap- will show when I plop that city)

Turn 4 - 2080 - Just waiting on the settler and research to come in, our warrior in the south encounters bears! :eek: I move him into a nearby jungle to let his woodsman 2 upgrade defend. I hope it works.

Turn 5 - 2040 - We defeat the bear but are reduced to 1.2/2. I decide to keep exploring.

Turn 6 - 2000 - Settler done. I start a warrior because there are a whole bunch of animals around our lands; I will send it to the new city. I'm moving the settler south to the yellow dot, in range of both cows and fish. This should be a great city site, I predict. THe green dot to the east is where I propose the next city - it's on the coast and within range of sheep, fish, and marble! Unfortunately, it's placement there misses the ivory. Any suggestions?

Turn 8 - 1920 - Pottery discovered, and I start on monotheism. Wait, it's making me do masonry before I do monotheism??? But masonry doesn't have an arrow leading to monotheism??? I'm CONFUSED?? :confused: Can someone explain? Djenne is founded in range of cows and fish, and the worker is headed towards the cows to put a pasture on them.

Turn 10 - 1840 - Finish pasture on the cow. I have Djenne working on an obelisk because it needs a border expansion to get the fish, and when the pasture finished it's time to complete the obelisk changed from 30 turns to 10 turns. Masonry comes in, monotheism started

Nothing much happens for the rest of my turns. Timbuktu is working on a settler, Djenne is working on an obelisk, and we are working on monotheism.

Enjoy!

5. Snaproll

RB2a
    Speaker (Captain)
    Voodoocat
    Snaproll
    -Angelus- (UP)
    Skyfish
    Sebmono

6. -Angelus-

-Angelus- Chieftain

Guys, sorry, but as I said earlier, and it kills me to do this, I'm going to have to pass until I can get the game when it comes out here in the UK. :( Im away from home until then anyway, so I'm not going to be able to play until the 7th November probably. :sad: Luckliy we have 6 in the team now, so you should manage fine without me. Also, I'm going to be out of touch this week, so I'm going to have a lot of reading to do when I get back! :crazyeye:

Looks like we've got off to a reasonable start, but you can tell we're new to this game, as none of us are quite certain on which way to go, but hey, thats the fun of it! The dot map's not like the one I came up with... but its probably a bit better, especially concidering the upkeep cost of cities in civ 4.
    Anyway, Good Luck guys :goodjob: See Ya when I get back!

Argh my fingers are itching already!

7. Traxis

Traxis Chieftain

lurker's comment: If there is an icon in the top right corner of a box in the tech tree, it means that technology is a prerequisite. Example:

8. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

I think those dotmaps are too widely spaced. Ivory is a GREAT resource and we are going to skip those tiles?

In any event, our next city should go between the pig and wheat to the northeast (one tile below them, forming a triangle between the three tiles). With two loaves of bread in just those two tiles, there will be plenty of food and with several hills and forest, it will be a production powerhouse. That could easily produce all the military our fledging Civilization will ever need.

RB2a - 1680BC

Speaker (On Deck)
    Voodoocat
    Snaproll
    -Angelus-
    Skyfish
    Sebmono (UP)

9. Sebmono

Sebmono Chieftain

So this means that Skyfish is up next. Has anyone seen him around past day or so?

10. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

Skyfish lives in Europe and won't have the game until November 4th. You're up Seb.

11. Sebmono

Sebmono Chieftain

Turn 1 (1640 BC): Not much going on, explored some with 2 units in south and set workers to build road between Djenne and Timbuktu. Cities develop better when connected like this.

Turn 2 (1600 BC): Montezuma adopts slavery, road is finished. By the by I changed the research over to archery so we could have skirkishers available at any point, they are a sweet special unit, from there I go to writing so we can start getting diplomatic and then eventually trade techs.

Turn 3 (1560 BC): Nothin.

Turn 4 (1520 BC): Settler finished, moving to place that Speaker suggested, that could be a monster city, afterwards we can build one that can use all four of those ivory. Gotta say, I never thought I'd see sooo many together. Obelisk finished in Djenne and so did archery so I started construction on a skirmisher there, we're starting to get some barb activity in the north. Also started work boat in Timbuktu so we can get those clams.

Turn 5 (1480 BC): Calling scouts back in, nothing else to discover, still one mystery civ. Building mine on hill south of Timbuktu.

Turn 6 (1440 BC): Nothin.

Turn 7 (1400 BC): Uh-oh, one spot away from settling the new city I see two barbs!! Gonna keep the settler away and try to have my wrrior solve the situation. Pop of Timbuktu getting close to the unhappy level, we should watch that growth and cut it off when appropriate.

Turn 8 (1360 BC): Nothin.

Turn 9 (1320 BC): Ok, the two warriors are heading to take care of the barbs, the skirmisher in Djenne is almost done, work boat in Timbuktu is done and now sitting on top of clams ready to be setup next turn, started a skirmisher in Timbuktu with another work boat qeued behind that to use the fish by Djenne. Settler is in the woods just north of Timbuktu, waiting for the warriors to clear out the barbs.

Turn 10 (1280 BC): Finished writing, started Bronze working, setup fishing boat on clams, lotsa food (with lighthouse we would get a whole loaf!). Good Luck!!!

P.S. How do you change the color that you draw in with strategic mode?

Attached Files:

12. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

Not a "got it" quite yet. Will play after work.

13. Skyfish

Skyfish Chieftain

Wow the turns go quick ;)

Sorry guys I wont be able to play before Nov 4th as Speaker said.
    Please skip me in the mean time :)

14. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

@Skyfish: If you'd like, I have no problem letting you and -Angelus- play 15-20 turns when you get back to catch up. Special circumstances...

15. Snaproll

A few musings about city placement:

I agree that missing out on the ivory was probably not the best choice. I didn't quite realize that they were so useful until I looked at them again. I wanted to bring up a few points for discussion, however:

At least based on my first impressions, there seems to be much less of a need to not "waste tiles" close to the capitol. In civ3, you wanted to utilize every tile close to the capitol if you could, because corruption ensured that the tiles close to the capitol were the most useful. However, in Civ4, corruption works differently. At first glance, it seems to make sense to "skip" tiles close to the capitol that aren't anygood, and concentrate more on optimal city placement. Hence, I chose the coast for the sea access and the access to two food bonuses. It seemed to be a good city sight, whereas fitting 2 or 3 in the ivory/sea/food bonus area would provide 3 medium strength cities instead.

Obviously, things are different in Always war if you need quick unit support. I also wanted to settle to the south first, because we can build "outside in" and grab a lot of land before the AI gets it. I think the rest of our settlers should go south too - I would've sent the 3rd one a little farther south too.

Anyway, we are all just learning, and I may be way off with all this. If so let me know, I can take it!

16. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

I agree here, except in this case, they are VERY useful tiles.

17. Sebmono

Sebmono Chieftain

Snaproll, you make a good point about building from the outside in, in Civ IV I've noticed that it is a crucial strategy to block off penninsulas with city territory as often as the chance presents itself because of the revised borders system. However in this case I think it'd be more omportant to get another strong city since the AI is remarkably far away from us (all that jungle and whatnot) and since we seem to be slightly lagging behind other civs at the moment, we could use a food heavy research city to boost our way along. Still, normally I totally would've gone for a southron blocking city.

By the by, do we have any diplomatic preferences with the AI, i.e. Do we want to give out Open Borders or not? Just curious

18. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

Got it. Will play tonight.

19. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

1280BC (IT): Adjust Timbuktu for growth. I'd like to pop out a settler and a worker from there this turn if possible.

1240BC (1): Hold off on our next city until the second warrior can arrive. I don't want to leave our game up to the chance of a single dice roll. There are two Barb warriors there too...

IT- Catherine offers open borders and I accept. India founds Judaism :lol:

1200BC (2): Skirmisher completes, start Hindo Monastary in Djenne. I'd like to get some Missionaries out, but Timbuktu will be building settlers and workers for a little while here. Found Kumbi Saleh between the Pigs and Wheat, one row below them. I toyed with moving it one tile to the east to be on the coast, but decided against it, seeing as we will have several coastal cities over there already, and right now only have 1 coastal tile where we sit. Normally it's bad to put a city one tile away from the coast because you get coastal tiles without being able to develop them (lighthouse, etc.), but 1 tile is no big deal.

IT- Defeat first warrior without a scratch and promotes. I take Combat I. There are at least two more milling around. But we should be fine.

1120BC (4): Barb warriors keep retreating. I'll send some Skirmishers after them. We have two now. Start another worker in Timbuktu.
    1080BC (5): Finish Bronze Working, start Monotheism, for the Organized Religion civic. 25% production bonus for buildings in cities with the state government. Now we have to spread the government to Kumbi Saleh. We have several copper resources nearby. Decide to pop out one more Skirmisher from Djenne to protect it and Timbuktu from this side. Monastary goes in the queue. What a great feature!
    1040BC (6): Sign Open Borders with Caesar and Tokugawa.
    1000BC (7): Shuffling troops around. The two warriors return to Timbuktu, with one on the way to Djenne.
    950BC (9): Whack a barb with our Skirmisher.
    925BC (10): Monotheism comes in and I switch to Organized Religion. Start research on Monarchy so we can build wineries. Aztecs form Tlatleco right in our backyard between the ivory and incense. :smoke: We'll nab that city for sure and will certainly convert it to Hinduism.
    900BC (11): Play one extra turn to even out the date.

Conclusion- Fairly boring and straight forward set of turns. Not much going on really. Djenne probably doesn't need the monastary anymore, now that we are in Organized Religion. But we may as well finish it for the culture and science boost and in case we want to switch out of Organized Religion. Keep an eye on maintenance. We are losing money fast. We need to figure out a way to get a shrine in Timbuktu so we can make some money from our religion.

Also, beware of the Barbarian state to the Northwest of Timbuktu.

RB2a - 900BC

20. Speaker

Speaker Chieftain

I believe Skyfish is going to get the game before -Angelus- so I'll switch them in the order.

Speaker
    Voodoocat (Up)
    Snaproll (On Deck)
    Skyfish
    -Angelus-
    Sebmono