RB2c - Mali - Noble - Just Win Baby!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Speaker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

Haven't forgotten about this, just will be a day or two before I can get to it. Classes just started again.

2. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

1880 AD (IT):

I moved the knights across the river as someone already suggested and fortify them.

I look around for the GA I thought we had and don’t see him. I do notice that Niani (far SW city) is the only one that has any culture problems at all, as a mater of fact it’s only 79% Mali… I do hope the GA wasn’t used where there was zero or very little culture pressure but if so oh well.

1882 AD (1):

Military Tradition is discovered, Rifling is chosen next and then we’ll have Infantry and can really commence the spanking of Khan. *does a “Kirk voice”... Khhhaaannnnn!!!*

Djenne builds Ironworks, starts the Pentagon. Ah, for future reference, in my experience it’s not great to put something else with the Heroic Epic in a city besides West Point. Otherwise it seems to diminish the total power of each, from what I’ve seen anyway.

Hrm… I never realized when upgrading units that it deletes all experience above the last level attained. Luckily I only upgraded a 12/17 unit and not the 19/whatever one. :D

We lost our Caravel to the North but the Frigate in the South survived. I think Combustion and Destroyers will be next to protect our waters.

1884 AD (2):

IBT… Mongol Knight and Grenadier decide to rush our Machinegun position outside Hamburg. Horsemeat hamburgers with special exploding sauce is the result. (2-0 us)

Hmm, apparently Khan likes Gao since a lot of his forces are moving around there. We’ll shore that up and see if we can get some units there.

Tekedda finishes a Frigate, starts a factory. Awlil finishes an aqueduct starts an Islamic Monastery while we can (Sci Meth will soon be only choice).

I debate attacking Hamburg with our forces near there and decide to wait for a few more cannons if possible.

I do smack a musketman and catapult Khan moves up next to Gao. If anyone remembers the “peasant skeet” bit from History of the World Part 1, imagine that outside Gao when I finished. :D

1886 AD (3):

Tadmek finishes a factory, cannon queued next. Khan pillages a few of our items next to Gao, but we’re fine for now.
    Wadan finishes a courthouse, starts an Islamic Monastery.

I spend both our cannons near Hamburg to soften the city a little and capture it with the loss of just a couple of units. I move the units we had outside Gao into the city itself but lose the roll with our Cavalry (88% success, but oh well. :() trying to take out a Grenadier.

1888 AD (4):

Rifling arrives and Khan shudders in his sleep but he doesn’t know why. ;) Combustion chosen next.

Timbuk finishes Wall Street and starts a factory. Awd finishes a factory and starts a Islamic Monastery. Awlil finishes an Islamic Monastery and starts a Christian Monastery.

I look around and notice how many of our forests are gone now. Any city that has less than three forest plots is clear cut since it’s useless to have less than three forest plots around any given city.

I roam through our cities and select those that can grow to max food and sometimes shields. We’re cranking research right now, usually less than 5 turns on anything we do so not worried about that right now.

1890 AD (5):

The two Machineguns I moved into Gao defeat a few knights and assorted units, as does the Cav I upgraded last turn (knight to cav). We loose another Caravel to Khan’s navy.. Blah, he better enjoy this while he can.

Kumbi finishes a factory, starts Infantry. Tadmek finishes cannon, starts Islamic Monastery.

I dial up JC and see if he’ll stop letting the Mongols wander through his territory and he says no. (Doesn’t like us enough.) So I give him a little Wheat and hope that will cheer him up eventually.

Oh, and I obliterate Khan’s entire stack outside Gao with minimal losses. :D Using the time to promote units that are less than 10 experience up to that mark if possible. Apparently (and you can tell I don’t upgrade a lot) when upgrading a unit everything above 10 is wiped out no matter the unit, but if they are below 10 no experience is lost.

1892 AD (6):

Combustion comes in and Fascism is selected. Mt. Rushmore would help with the WW we’re facing in our cities and I want to give a few more turns before I queue up all the Monasteries we can before Sci Meth is discovered.

Gao finishes a factory, starts a Buddist Monastery. Awd finishes an Islamic Monastery, starts Islamic Missionary. Tadmek finishes it’s Monastery, starts a Islamic Missionary. Awlil finishes an Islamic Monastery, starts Islamic Missionary. Hamburg finishes its revolt and I start a factory there.

1894 AD (7):

Walata finishes a factory. Starts Christian Temple. Various units trained. (Getting tired of listing them all.) Still whacking Khan’s units when they wander by.

1896 AD (8):

Gao finishes Monastery, starts a Jail. Various units built. I think we’re about done with Missionaries before Sci Meth is researched.

1898 AD (9):

Fascism discovered, Sci Meth due in 2.

1900 AD (10):

Sci Meth due next turn. I have scrolled ahead on all our cities and queued up all the Monastery’s I can so they will get built even though Sci Meth is done. This only applies to <50% of our cities, the rest are building Infantry, Cannon’s or something like that.

Mt. Rushmore can be built somewhere if we want to, to keep the war going and wipe out Khan. Assuming we want to kep fighting. Maybe take another city or two from him then try for peace. We’re rolling along pretty much with everything right now.

Sorry the report was a bit sparse but not much going on at times.

When Sci Meth comes in we can build well’s and have fun with our oil and newer equipment. :)

Oh, we have a GS south of Timbuk, just standing there. I didn’t see anything we wanted to rush in the last turn (1900) when he was discovered so left him there for later.

Have fun. :)

Attached Files:

3. Talamane

Talamane King

Nice turn set. Well done! Khan chose unwisely.

4. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

Dwip? You out there?

Sheesh, this is sad.

5. Dwip

Dwip Warlord

Oh. I for some reason hadn't realized I was up. I see it, but I also have RB7 turns to get done, so it may be later rather than sooner.

6. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

Well it's either you or Ragnoff, and from your last mention of him I sort of had the impression he wasn't playing this anymore.

7. Dwip

Dwip Warlord

[0] 1900 AD - I have no idea what this GE is supposed to do for us, so he'll just sit in Timbuktu and hang out.

At the very least, we're going to thrash Tabriz. I don't want to take down Khan, because we can't bloody well afford it. But I am going to bleed him a bit.

Take a big strike force from Gao and move it towards Tiflis.

[1] 1902 AD - SciMeth comes in, start on Physics.

Awdaghost Cannon->Cannon, Tadmekka Cannon->Mt Rushmore.

We have Oil under Niani, at Gao, and in the desert between Kumbi, Djenne, and Tadmekka.

Somehow, our Combat III/Formation Knight loses to Khan's random Knight. Knights sure do annoy me a lot. Our backup Knight wins, however.

Still moving towards Tiflis.

IBT - Khan pillages some ex-JC farms, which I guess if he wants to do that, that's ok.

[2] 1904 AD - Kumbi Infantry->Infantry, Gao Jail->Infantry. Tekedda Factory->Monastary.

We win at Tiflis, which takes longer to type than to do.

IBT - Khan lands a whole bunch of guys up north at Awlil. There's about jack we can do about this.

[3] 1906 AD - Niani Monastary->Factory.

I scrape and dig and find a couple of guys to send to Awlil's relief.

[4] 1908 AD - Timbuktu Cannon->Infantry, Walata Drydock->Destroyer, Tekedda Monastary->Temple.

After application of new Acme Knight Be Gone, Awlil is more or less saved.

[5] 1910 AD - Kumbi Infantry->Infantry, Gao Infantry->Infantry, Awdaghost Cannon->Infantry, Wadan Monastary->Monastary.

In that epic struggle against catapults, etc.

[6] 1912 AD - Tekedda Temple->Temple, Tiflis Theatre.

We kilt us some Mongols. Awlil is safe.

[7] 1914 AD - Physics comes in, start Communism (for State Property).

Tadmekka Mt Rushmore->Infantry, Tekedda Temple->Temple.

We have Uranium at Wadan, Awdaghost, and clear off in the distance where Berlin used to be.

IBT - Khan is willing to pay us 70 gold for peace. I don't accept, because I'm going to deprive him of Tabriz.

[8] 1916 AD - Timbuktu Infantry->Jail, Gao Infantry->Colosseum, Djenne Pentagon->Monastary.

We move up to Tabriz.

IBT - I'm so unafraid of Khan now.

[9] 1918 AD - Djenne Monastary->Factory, Kumbi Infantry->Temple, Awdaghost Infantry->Infantry, Tekedda Temple->Temple.

Tabriz is ours with a few casualties.

Khan pays us 90 gold, 9 gpt, and his world map for peace. In 20 years or so, we should be involved in another war precipitated by Mongols unhappy with this particular peace treaty.

[10] 1920 AD - Communism comes in, start Biology (we need Medicine sooner rather than later). Revolt to State Property.

Kumbi Temple->Synagogue, Walata Destroyer->Worker, Tadmekka Infantry->Temple, Tekedda Temple->Colosseum, Awlil Factory->Observatory.

There are 100 turns left. We're winning. We will continue to win. We are the unstoppable colossus bestriding our world. All their base are belong to us.

Attached Files:

8. Talamane

Talamane King

Got it. Play/post tomorrow.

9. Talamane

Talamane King

[0] 1920 AD Looks good, but we need health in our largest cities. Get bananas, rice, fish, and crabs hooked back up. SAVE ROEBLING FOR THE THREE GORGES DAM. Gao is the best spot for it, and it has three engineers. Once Roebling has rushed it, TGD should complete in about 8-12 turns.

[1] 1921 AD Timbuktu starts on wealth to maintain science rate, Gao starts on West Point. Walata and Awlil start on work boats. Workers start on banana plantation. Tadmekka starts on Kremlin.

[2] 1922 AD Infantry completions in Awdaghost move to Tiflis for firmer defense. Awdaghost starts on Scotland Yard. Deploy work boats. Liz wants us to stop trading with Alex, nah.

[3] 1923 AD Walata completes worker and starts on a destroyer. Djenne starts a university.

[4] 1924 AD Tekedda starts a jail, Niani starts a cathedral.

[5] 1925 AD Biology is learned, and we beeline (sort of) to plastics via medicine, electricity, and industrialism. Fred wants mil tradition for free, i give it to him out of pity, though in all likelihood, he will sell it to GK. With rice online, no cities are unhealthy and the extra food from farms via biology ought to make our cities grow fast.

[6] 1926 AD Worker turns.

[7] 1927 AD Move Roebling to Gao.

[8] 1928 AD Awlil starts a drydock. We need some sort of navy.

[9] 1929 AD Railing mostly. Start a spice plantation. Djenne has completed its university, observatory, and jail. Starts on infantry.

[10] 1930 AD We got another GE, and i moved him to Gao. I thought about revolting to US, but it will hurt our science. On the plus side, we can rush buildings with cash (which we dont have very much of), and it adds a hammer to towns. Since Gao has no towns, i left us on Representation. The tech path is medicine (due in one), then electricity, industrialism, and plastics. Please do not deviate from this, we really want and need TGD. Hamburg needs some happy, so once its factory is complete, build a temple. Keep making destroyers. Once medicine is in, build a hospital in Timbuktu, and then put it back on wealth to keep our treasury afloat. We may want to consider deleting some of our outdated units as the infantry and tank builds complete.

Attached Files:

10. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

I see it but won't get to this till tomorrow (9/24) night. Good turns you guys. :) Hopefully we can roll through this.

Is it just me or is the write-up taking more time than the playing?

11. Talamane

Talamane King

Yes, the need for more of the "why" in Civ4 makes SG writeups more work, but more fun. Well, sort of.

Ooh, i just remembered, i have something to write tonite for work tomorrow. :crazyeye:

12. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

1930 (IT):

Not much to do for now, so off we go. :)
    -----

1931 (1):

Medicine comes in. Electricity due in 5. I briefly consider swapping to Free Market for the +1 trade routes but decide not to.

Djenne builds an infantry and since it has a nasty yellow haze over the city I swap it off to a hospital.

Gao finishes West Point and I start a hospital to make sure all those troops we’ll be rolling out of there are as healthy as possible.

Awlil finishes a drydock. I notice there is no place for those ship builders to go to borrow money so a bank is ordered built. :)

Workers are ordered to go dig up the glowy green stuff. I hear it makes great jewelry. :D

Oh, and Alexander declares war on Elizabeth.

Timbuk swapped from Wealth to a hospital.
    -----

1932 (2):

Walata finishes its jail, and not seeing much it –has- to build I swap it over to building Destroyers.

Tadmeka builds the Kremlin, and all the bean-counters rejoice. :D The local politicians rub their hands together and try to think of ways to spend the sudden surplus we may encounter. I don’t see anything the city desperately needs so I start building Infantry there to help replace our old forces.

Tedekka finishes a Destroyer and starts another.

I look around at our finances and where we want to be and decide to try the old axiom of throwing money at a problem to solve it. In this case that means bumping Science to 100%.
    -----

1933 (3):

Alex comes-a-callin’ asking for help with Liz, but I wave him off and tell him good luck. We don’t need to fight some war on foreign shores.

Djenne finishes it’s hospital. It starts training Infantry like crazy again.
    Kumbi finishes one Destroyer and starts another.

Nianni finishes it’s jail and starts a Grocer.

Tabriz finishes a Temple and starts a Theater. Wow, Culture has a squeeze on this city.
    -----

1934 (4):

Khan comes demanding we stop trading with the Germans. He is denied.

Gao finishes it’s Hospital. We convert those workers to helping make us a bit of cash.

Awd finishes Scotland Yard, and starts a hospital since the living conditions in the city are very poor.
    -----

1935 (5):

Awlil finishes it’s bank. A university is queued up next.

Gao is swapped to Broadway with the discovery of Electricity. It’s hoped the garish lights of the “Great White Way” will blind those in the foreign cities around it.

Tesla (GE) is born in Gao. Lol, that’s three of them we have now. :D Tesla spends all his time helping build Broadway. :)
    -----

1936 (6):

Gao finishes Broadway and starts training an Infantry.

Various units are built and workers moved.
    -----

1937 (7):

Destroyers and Infantry built. Hospitals completed and much wealth generated.
    -----

1938 (8):

A rather uneventful year, much like 1937.
    -----

1939 (9):

Our commanding general in charge of our forces arrives in a huff and demands to know why our military college isn’t, well, training military. :lol: Gao swapped to cannon building instead of wealth.

MMoW.
    -----

1940 (10):

Hamburg finishes it’s Monastery. It’s fine with ‘happy’ right now but it’s on the verge of being a polluted and sick city. Hospital started.

Various spies, missionaries, Infantry and the occasional cannon finished this round.

Two new games to keep you busy while the turns scroll by… “Where’s Shelia” in which you get to try to find the spys we have and “Spread the Faith” where we make sure all the new cities have all the faith’s we founded. :D

Seriously, not much going on. With West Point in Gao, units coming out of there start with 10 exp right off the bat. We could probably disband everything with 6 of less exp since Djenne trains up to 6 XP right now as well. I didn’t disband anything so feel free to do so as needed.

Industrialization due in 2. Plastics after that and then we can finally use all those GE we have accumulated.

Have fun. :)

Attached Files:

13. Dwip

Dwip Warlord

I lost my notes in a reboot crash, so this is going to be fairly short.

Many railroads and such were constructed. Our workers will soon be out of work.

Many infantry were trained, and our military generally reorganized. Everything with less than 6 XP was pretty much disbanded, save for all but the most obsolete units in Niani. All cities now have at least two Infantry/MG level defenders. Frontline cities have more. The last remaining infantry we really NEED is on a hill near Kumbi. Niani might also want one or two more, then disband all those extra units or upgrade them if they're highly experienced.

I forgot about West Point in Gao totally. I suggest, after Djenne finishes whatever infantry we want, switching Djenne to wealth/research (or any buildings it missed), and Gao to tanks. Less is probably more on tanks - we also have a huge pile of cav still, which can be upgraded to gunships when the time comes, and which should be more than sufficient to defend us from Khan.

Three Gorges is due on the first turn. It took both Engineers to do this, but I felt it to be worth the cost. Radio also comes in in ~3 or so, which means Eiffel and such. We may as well start rushing for Apollo after that.

Attached Files:

14. Talamane

Talamane King

Got it. Will play/post tomorrow. Why are my SG's always synching?

15. Talamane

Talamane King

[0] 1950 AD Looks good. Change Gao to tank.

[1] 1951 AD TGD gets built. Build bunkers in most cities. Airplanes will be a-flying soon, well maybe. In most cities, they only take one turn. Piling up workers on pasture near Djenne. Perhaps we should abandon them.

[2] 1952 AD On the year of my birth, Gustav Eiffel was born in Walata and he will rush, guess what, the Eiffel Tower. So appropriate, don't you think?

[3] 1953 AD Eiffel rushes the Eiffel Tower in Tadmekka. Djenne starts R&R. Research Media to build UN (denial). This gives us the option of a diplo win if we want it.

[4] 1954 AD zzzz.

[5] 1955 AD zzzz.

[6] 1956 AD Mass Media is discovered. A beeline to fusion may be in order, with a sidestep to genetics. UN starts in Tadmekka.

[7] 1957 AD zzzz.

[8] 1958 AD I set a research path of artillery, rocketry, satellites, fission, to fusion. Vetoable of course. Another GE rushes Hollywood in Timbuktu.

[9] 1959 AD I built us a navy. Nothing discourages the AI more than to lose his units in Davy Jones' Locker. Hollywood and R&R both complete, and the hammer overflow is turned into tanks. Sign OB with Napoleon. Our capital, pop 25, has health issues so ecology might not be bad.

[10] 1960 AD Make a trade with Napoleon--1 hit movie for whales and 10 GPT. Talamane, in his farewell speech to the nation, warns the people about the growing influence and power of the military-industrial complex. He urges his people to look to space exploration as a means to achieve national greatness.

Attached Files:

16. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

1960 (IT):

I look around briefly and things look good. Moving on…
    -----

1961 (1):

Built I think a tank and a battleship or two. Lol…
    -----

1962 (2):

Building temples and banks and various other small civic improvements while our scientists scratch their heads and ponder strange new technologies.
    -----

1963 (3):

Rocketry discovered. Computers chosen next to then go into Fiber Optics so we can build the Internet and deprive anyone else of it. Due in 4.

Djenne starts to construct a space launch hanger, launch pads and mission control center and we call it “Apollo” after one of the deities of ancient times.
    -----

1964 (4):

Another tank rolls off the assembly line.
    -----

1965 (5):

More battleships are commissioned as Champaign producers rejoice as the vast quantities of bottles being used to christen the ships. :D

Land begins to be cleared for a national hospital in Gao. The commanding general of our armies plans to have the medical staff at our hospital educate every single soldier trained in Gao in basic medical skills. (Red Cross in Gao after the next tank, duh, I should have done that like three tanks ago.)
    -----

1966 (6):

Tadmekka police begin to complain of migraine headaches as they have to deal with the “political immunity” of idiot drivers from foreign countries as they drop off their passengers, foreign dignitaries. (UN built).
    -----

1967 (7):

Computers are discovered and developed. With their increased logic handling capabilities, science laboratories spring up across the land.

The first UN election is held to try to find a person who will command the general assembly. Naturally we propose our own ambassador to the UN to lead.

The mayor of Djenne phones the President and tells him of a new vein of precious gems that have been discovered near the city.
    -----

1968 (8):

As with most “big governments” we’re bleeding red ink while massive government programs are initiated. We toe the line with the phrase “no new taxes” and know that soon enough we’ll be making a surplus again.

The results from the UN election are announced and we find that Alexander had been our opponent. He must have had back-office deals with our Southern neighbors since Napoleon and Khan both voted for his ambassador over ours.

We will not forget that insult, and Napoleon and Khan and better hope they don’t try any military maneuvers against us as there will be no quarter given (on my watch at least).
    -----

1969 (9):

Our border patrols grow tired of confiscating boot-leg copies of our movies and plays and music so we form national “troupes” or musicians, actors and other assorted “show biz” folks and send them off to tour foreign lands.

We instruct the troupe’s to perform a variety of plays and distribute movies like “The Pirates of Penzance” and later “Mutiny on the Bounty” for the English, “Spartacus” for our dear friend Caesar, “Macarena” and “I’m too sexy” for Khan and Napoleon, and “The Crying Game” for Alexander.
    -----

1970 (10):

The administration steps down as per ancient custom to go relax on a nice beach somewhere with a beer in one hand and a nubile young female intern in the other. ;)

Not much going on. As soon as the lab’s finish we probably want to finish any bunkers we have left and alternate the rest of the cities on Gold or Research as needed. I had been swapping them to Research as long as we had a positive money flow.

Apollo Program will finish soon so this game should be over as soon as we can research the bits we need and get them all built. Or we could try for a diplo win, either way.

Attached Files:

17. Dwip

Dwip Warlord

There's something about Alex talking to us in diplo that causes my computer to crash to reboot once, then work ok, but only in windowed mode. So again, I lost all my notes.

The short of it is this:

We're up Apollo, 5 turns to Space Elevator after rushing half of it with Orville Wright.

We're up all SS Casings, the SS Cockpit, and are halfway to the SS Docking Bay (~5 turns).

We're up Fiber Optics, Robotics, Refrigeration, and are close to Genetics.

If it lasts another 20 turns, I'll be vaguely surprised.

Attached Files:

18. Talamane

Talamane King

[0] 1980 AD Looks good.

[1] 1981 AD Cities are big, health is an issue, so supermarkets get started.

[2] 1982 AD zzzz. Start on flight. We may need some planes.

[3] 1983 AD Hamburg starts a jail.

[4] 1984 AD I build a couple of submarines.

[5] 1985 AD GK declares war on us. J/K, on poor Frederick.

[6] 1986 AD A GS researches fission. UN resolution for free trade routes passes. It's possible we could win this diplomatically, but Napoleon and Liz's demands for us to help them has probably made that harder.

[7] 1987 AD Build a couple of fighters for defensive positions along the Mongolian border.

[8] 1988 AD Get satellites, start on fission.

[9] 1989 AD Start on SS thrusters.

[10]1990 AD We need fusion for the SS engines, so i think this will take two more rounds. I took some pix, but the forum is very slow today.

Attached Files:

19. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

Erm, how long did it take to get flight as opposed to working on a tech we need to get this thing over with? :D

Just curious.

"Got it" but expect a pretty reserved report unless something major happens. :)

20. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

1990 (IT):

I swap the build orders on a few things to get Fission in 2 in stead of 3.

1991 (1):

IBT, all the deals we had with Fred cancelled and I was surprised since we’d had a good relationship with him. After the turn loaded I saw Khan had destroyed the Germans.

Farewell Fred, we knew you well.

1995 (5):

Fusion discovered. With the free GS I speed part of the discovery of Ecology, which is all we have left to discover for our SS part. :)

1997 (7):

A GE is born... Doh, if I had kept the GS we’d have a GA now. Oh well…

1999 (9):

The Internet is discovered. :D

2000 (10):

SDI completes. We have 2 turns until all remaining SS parts are done. I’ll finish this so no one has to play again. :)

2002 (12):

Composites discovered, Liz wants the Radio and I accept because…

Spaceship completed. Score 6895. We have the top 5 cities and we’re as good as Herbert Hoover. :)

Good game. :)

Attached Files: