1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RB5 - Rome, Emperor, Lakes, Just win

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirp, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I struggle to believe a game is won in 1500 AD. I've had 6+ tech leads evaporate in under 10 turns on Emperor before. I can't believe you're not playing it out.

Arathorn

2. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Prince

Yea, and I wasn't finished lurking...

3. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

I have to agree with Arathorn here...especially between 1500AD and 1700AD, games tend to show their real face sometimes, like attacks out of nowhere, tech leads going nil all of a sudden, etc.

Too bad one of the rare (the only?) emperor SGs has to die that way... :(

-Kylearan

4. Iester

Iester Entirely Without Humour

Well, I have no problem hobbling along and finishing this baby. We're just a little short on manpower, is all.

Is there any chance of a revival? Maybe take on a player or two to finish it off?

It really is a shame to leave it here, and I think the peanut gallery is right: this is a good position, but far from a definite win.

-Jester

5. Farae

Farae Lord of All Crisca

Cmon, this needs to be added to RB's Completed SGs list!

6. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

The game would be abandoned because of apparent lack of time/interest, not because we think victory is a 'sure thing'. (Though I am fairly confident that we can indeed win).

However... Skyfish, Jester, do you want to continue?

I am happy to keep playing if there is still interest. Since it seems Jester wants to continue, I guess we can continue as a two-man game, since that is done anyway sometimes. If Skyfish wants to continue too, then we have a three-man roster which is definitely good enough.

If at least Jester says he wants to continue, then I will play my turn, and we will continue. And of course, bed_head and Maniac would be welcome to rejoin too, if they want.

-Sirp.

7. Iester

Let's do this thing.

-Jester

8. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay. I will try to play my turn within the next couple of days.

Let's slightly restructure the game: it'll be a two-person SG between us unless/until one of the other players says they want to join again. Also, we will double the time allowed to play a turn -- 48 hours to 96 hours. Playing turns in 48 hours on a two-man team can be very time consuming.

However, there's nothing to stop us getting some turns going quickly if we can. :)

-Sirp.

9. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, a fairly brief turn report here:

Mansa Musa discovered Economics in 1505, beating us to the Great Merchant. I went after Liberalism for the technology.

Washington got gunpowder, but thankfully no-one else did.

We did discover Liberalism first, and it was used to get Replaceable Parts, since that technology is fairly expensive, and being able to start building lumber mills is nice.

We got a Great Merchant, who I have sent West toward Persia.

In 1525, I felt our situation was strong enough to declare war on Mali. I had two main attack forces: a slightly smaller one in the north, which captured Awlil in 1530, and was sent toward Kagoshima, and then would be positioned North of Gao, the Malinese capital.

The larger force went straight for Kumbi Saleh, aiming to cut Mali's remaining core in two.

We succeeded in capturing Kumbi Saleh in 1545, with minimal losses, and Kagoshima fell in 1550. We should be able to capture Gao within the next few turns, with forces converging on it from the north and south.

There are some troops around Djenne, preparing to start a bombardment, but it may take longer to capture that city.

We should be able to reduce Mali to insignificance in the next ten. Then I think we should consider making a quick declaration of war on Arabia, if they still don't have gunpowder. We could get Napoleon to join us, and possibly cripple Arabia fairly quickly. Importantly, conquest of Arabia would give us access to Persia, who would be our target in the Cavalry age.

Over to you, Jester.

-Sirp.

10. Sirian

Sirian Designer, Mohawk Games

This is why my Civ4 SG policy now always includes Alternates.

I realize I may be able to drum up alternates more easily than most, but... Maybe if you post in the RB Discussion thread asking for alternates, you'll get some. I know not everybody is qualified to play Emperor, but it may be worth a shot.

Of course, I often like two-man SGs. I've played more of those than just about anybody else, at least from the times I was active. (Maybe some folks played more later on with Civ3.)

- Sirian

11. Iester

Got it!

-Jester

12. Iester

Surveying the situation, everything looks more or less great. I take a look at our great merchant and great scientist, and I figure that it is better to take the golden age, of which we have had exactly none, than to use them separately. So, I go ahead and pop it.

Mali also rather stupidly left a worker in the open, so I grab it. You can never have enough workers.

(1) 1555 AD: Mali’s counterattack consisted of two catapults at Kagoshima, both wiped out by knights. I spend the turn moving units.

(2) 1560: Forbidden Palace finishes in Osaka. That saves us about 20 GPT, I think. The bombardment of Gao and Djenne proceeds apace, and both are down to 45%, and are set to hit zero next turn.

(3) 1565: Mali moves a city garrison 2 longbowman out into the open. I kill it, and wonder what stupid AI algorithm told it to make that weedy move. I suicide two catapults into Gao. One miraculously retreats, and we take the city at the cost of one catapult. What a bargain, for a city defended by 3 city garrison 2 longbows and a pikeman!

At Djenne, our suicide catapult also survives, but our first knight dies. Can’t beat the odds every time, I guess. Djenne falls, and we lose a total of one knight.

Wadan, the size 2 iceberg city to the north, also falls this turn, without casualty. Now all we need to do is march on Awdaghost and Tekedda, and we’ll be done with Mansa Musa for good.

Checking the diplo screen, Mansa Musa is *still* one of the technology kings. Unbelievable. Well, not for long! Also, Saladin has gunpowder, which makes war against him much less attractive. I suggest we build up our infrastructure, rush to cavalry, and club him to death with that.

(4) 1570: Our forces descend upon Awdaghost. It will fall within a few turns, guaranteed.

(5) 1575: Nationalism comes in. Rome starts on the Taj Mahal. We need music to get Military Tradition, so I dial up Roosevelt, and trade him liberalism (which is no longer a monopoly for us, sadly, as Saladin has it) for Music, his world map, 180 gold, and conversion to Judaism. We should also consider getting Economics, because before we make the final push, we’ll want to change our civics, for Police State if nothing else. Mercantilism might be better, though, I’m not sure.

At Awdaghost, we lose a city raider 3 maceman against the odds, and a praetorian after that. The city falls afterwards, with no further losses. We now control the Taoslamic holy city. All power to Rome!

(6) 1580: Tekedda, the last city of the Malinese empire, has two longbowmen, one not even upgraded. We should destroy them within my 10 turns. That will also help with our unhappiness problem; war weariness is now up to an unbelievable 15 in Rome.

(7) 1585: More of the same.

(8) 1590: Musa offers economics for peace. I tell him to stuff it. The defenders at Tekedda get lucky, and kill a knight and a praetorian, but in the end, they fall, and so does Mansa Musa. War is indeed peace. We also get three workers out of the mix, bringing our total for my turns up to 6, a nice gain indeed.

We also now have a northern passage to Persia, if we wanted to use it. Personally, I like picking on the little guy, so I’m voting to attack Persia with cavalry, once we get them. But we have the option now.

(9) 1595: Our productivity skyrockets now that we’re at peace, especially in Rome itself. With luck, we will have another golden age coming, via the Taj Mahal, in 6 turns. That should be just in time to crank out our army of cavalry, and win this game!

(10) 1600: Nothing eventful.

Well, that’s just about it. We’re doing fine, and we should be able to win this. Keep an eye out for a good time/place for Oxford and Wall Street, both of which are available (or will be soon).

-Jester

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/RBC5_AD-1600.Civ4SavedGame

13. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Have got it, am playing, and we are at war with Persia. :)

-Sirp.

14. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, another summary report here:

Napoleon declares war on Cyrus in 1605. Good news, I think. We discover Miltary Tradition. I revolt to Police State and Mercantilism. Is tempting to revolt to Theocracy, but that'd take turns for revolution up to two, and we're still building quite a few buildings. I think a little later, after our Golden Age is over, we might want to become a Theocracy.

We build the Taj Mahal next turn, and enter a Golden Age. I start lots of Cavalry orders. We start researching Chemistry, since Steel would be very nice for cannons.

My turn went pretty smoothly...I built lots of Cavalry, and started construction of Oxford University and West Point. Moved Cavalry up toward Persia in anticipation of Napoleon wanting to drag us into war. He didn't...though he did ask us to cancel deals with Cyrus, and I obliged. This caused us some unhappiness in Rome.

In 1640, I decided we were strong enough to declare war. I did so, and marched a load of troops toward Circa from all directions.

Didn't have enough time to take Circa, though I did raze a Persian snow-city (forget the name of it now). Hopefully I have left you in a good enough position to take Circa, Jester. Many of the units I have left unmoved so you can decide what to do with them.

After Circa, it'll be on to the Persian heartland. We could head east, toward Persepolis, or we could go south-east to get Gordium, which is a core city, but isolated from the rest of the Persian core by the large lake.

Good luck!

-Sirp.

15. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Prince

What kind of victory are you guys going for? Do you have a tech lead?

16. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

A military victory...domination or conquest.

We are behind some peaceful technologies, such as economics, but are ahead in military technologies -- we are the only civilization that has cavalry.

David

17. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Prince

Ah, thats a good feeling...

18. Iester

I haven't downloaded it yet, but take this as my "got it" post.

-Jester

19. Atlas

Atlas Titanus

Could we get an empire-wide picture? (prefrerably with the resources turned off)

Could we get an F4 Tech Pic?

Could we get a Victory Conditions pic?

Could we get a Demography pic (the one with prod., GNP etc.)?

Thanks guys. Good Game, I am glad you restarted.

Atlas

20. Iester

Okay, summary.

We built lots of cavalry, and I switched to a lot of economy buildings, to stop the bleeding and let us continue our research.

Just as we got into Persia, they developed Rifles, and later in the turn, so did Saladin. They immediately upgraded all their outdated defenders, and now it's riflemen as far as they eye can see. It was slow going, and the casualties weren't as low as I'd like, but we were still able to take three cities, and we're grinding their core. They don't have the strength to hold out against us.

I researched steel, to get cannons, and set our next goal to steam power, for rails. It's the first turn, though, so feel free to change it if you think there's a better tech to research.

Oh, and Tekedda fell to a rogue knight... they got lucky and beat the cavalry I had up there. There are two cavalry ready to take it back.

There may be some weirdly grouped units, I hope they're not too confusing.

I'd put up some screenshots, but I scarcely had enough time to play. Would you mind demonstrating our empire to the peanut gallery, Sirp?

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/RBC5_AD-1700.Civ4SavedGame