1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RB5 - Rome, Emperor, Lakes, Just win

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirp, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

I got it, but will probably take several days to play, as r/l is rather busy at the moment.

-Sirp.

2. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

Hey, sorry to have droped off the face of the earth like that, but lifes been crazy lately, and i got roped into beta testing a game for a developer friend. I THOUGHT I posted that here but it doesn't seem to be here anywhere... I dono if the forums ate it or if i just hallucinated doing it. However, I'm available for a turn if you still want me. Just tell me when.

3. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Marshall,

I probably can't play for a couple more days, so it'd be great if you could step in and take it.

-Sirp.

4. Iester

Iester Entirely Without Humour

I dunno, ToddMarshall...

We're laying the smack down on the Persians with an enormous army of cavalry. That kind of thing just doesn't appeal to everyone. Are you sure you want to take it? It'll be really boring. You know, another day, another domination victory on emperor difficulty...

:lol:

Good to have you back!

-Jester

5. ToddMarshall

ROFL @ Jester.

Alritie. I got it then. I can promise the turns by early morning wed at the latest. Will try for earlier.

And, oh yeah, good to be back :)

6. ToddMarshall

OK, just got the save and getting ready to play after a nap.

Overslept a bit. Not sure I'll finish before tomorrow....

Had a call in at work today so I had to go in. Then, just as I was about to play, I got a call that I needed to go fill in at Clinton in the morning, which is 2 hours from here =/.

I WILL finish the turn asap. That might be tomorrow however. I cant tell you how bad I feel to be back and immediately ask for extra time :(

7. Griselda

Griselda Realms Beyond

8. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Uhh....Todd?

9. Iester

Sirp, if you want to take it, that's probably a good plan at this point. If ToddMarshall gets back, he can grab it next.

-Jester

10. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, I got it, am playing.

11. ToddMarshall

Sorry about that. We had some people suddenly quit in the district. I've been working 12 hour shifts out of town, and I left for work the first morning without the computer thinking i'd be coming right back home that night, so I couldn't even post my whereabouts. This is my 2nd day off this month and all i wanted to do is sleep.

I think that things are taken care of now, and I WONT be leaving home without the labtop again :(. If things turn out NOT to be taken care of, I'll have to drop again.

I think this is going to have to be my last SG for a long while no matter what. At least until May when my gf moves up here with me. I allways seem to overestimate my available time as it is, but the last month has been really bad with crises at work =/.

12. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Another brief report, due to lack of time, I'm afraid.

My turn consisted mostly of continuing to prosecute the war with Persia. I spent about 1000 gold upgrading catapults to cannons, which I marched to Tarsus, capturing it with minimal losses. Then I proceeded to Persepolis, which took about five turns. Persepolis and neighbouring Tyre were captured with moderate losses, and at the expense of making almost all our cavalry injured.

Tekkeda was also recaptured, and I thwarted an attempt by Persia to retake it.

Part way through my turn, Arabia cancelled our open borders agreement. This left our forces fighting the Persian Wars isolated from our main empire. More reason for us to make Arabia pay. The Arabs also entered a golden age.

After the capture of Tyre in 1745AD, I signed a peace treaty with Cyrus. It would take a number of turns for our cavalry to recover their strength sufficiently to capture Pasagardae, their last decent city, and our empire was suffering the effects of war weariness.

Anyhow, Persia is now crippled, and I think we should turn our attention elsewhere. Namely, toward Arabia. Arabia has more troops than America, and a lower GNP, but we are much better positioned to attack the Arabs.

I have started moving our forces back to Susa, including our four surviving cannons, some catapults, and a heap of cavalry. We only have to cross three tiles of Arab territory to reach their capital, Mecca. The Arabs don't have cannons, so we can mass in huge stacks -- I don't think catapults can do much to a large stack of cavalry (actually in my experience against Persia, they don't even dare attack).

Meanwhile, I have positioned troops West of Arabia, in Djenne, ready to march on either Medina or Damascus.

In terms of land area, Saladin has almost half as much as us -- 18%, partially owing to his cultural lead. If we want to go for a Domination victory, this will be valuable to capture.

On the other hand, we could go for the approach of taking just enough of Arabia to cripple Saladin, without expending the effort to actually kill him off. Then we could go after America for a while.

13. ToddMarshall

OK. I got it. I should have the turn up by tomorrow night.

14. ToddMarshall

I've started, but my gf had other plans for me last night. It will be finished this weekend. Half the problem is just finding all the units. lol

I think my turn looks to be mainly moving units to prepare to strike Saladin.

Looks to me that if we can take over Saladin's territory its a won game.

Playing more now.

15. ToddMarshall

Finished playing. Will try to get the report up later but my son is in the hospital with pneumonia so it could be tomorrow night before I get it written up.

16. ToddMarshall

Preturn analysis:

OK, looks like to me that the only thing really standing between us and Domination is Saladin. If we can secure all his lands, the rest should be no problem as they are small and weak. I decide to try a 3 pronged attack on Saladin.

Forces in the west will attack Tadmekka, his northermost city

Forces in the east will use our ROP with NAppy to march down and strike at Barsa in the SW corner of his empire

The 3rd Prong will head for Medina. This should keep him from properly reinforcing anywhere I hope.

The first order of buisness is finding all our troops and getting them healed and stacked.

[0] - Move Troops

IT - St Patrick born in Rome

[1] - The prophet can discover Divine Right... I see no point in that. I leave him sit for now. Move troops

IT - Steam Completes. We have Coal everywhere.

[2] - Move troops. Choose Rifles over Railroads for now. It's getting late for railroads and the rifles COULD make a diffrence at some point

IT - Cyrus wants OB. Sure why not. This greatly improves our income somehow.

[3] - Move troops ZZZZ

IT - Nothing

[4] - Move Troops ZZZZ

IT - Nothing

[5] - Move Troops

IT - Nothing

Quit for the night at this point.

[6] - Move troops. Declare War

IT - A few arabian counters. Nothing very effectual

[7] - Cleanup Arab counter at Djene. Lose nothing.

Barsa captured at the cost of 2 Catapults and 1 Cannon.... This might be easier than I though, though I think I should have been building more cannons and less cavalry. I apologize for my extreme rustyness

IT - A few arab counters. Persepolis revolts :(

[8] - Defenses of Tadmekka bombed down. A HUGE force of Arab cavalry rided up near Medina. If they ride in, we have no hope to take the city. If they attack our forces on the forest hill, we should slaughter them

IT - Few Counters. A huge force of Cavalry shows up at Barsa.

[9] - We wipe it out but lose several units. Every combat except a few cannon suicides said 79% or better, but we lost about 5 out of 6 before we started winning. That's going to hurt our march forward on that front.

We capture Tadmekka.

Our force in the Djene/Mecca area may be in some trouble....

IT - Uhhh, more than some trouble. The entire offensive force minus 3 cannons is wiped out by their "offensive" force that was moving for Djene

[10] I try to retreat the cannons into our territory, but without much hope.

State of the war

We have taken 2 cities from Saladin so far. Our troops are currently resting in those 2 cities beforfe moving on. De area around Djene/Mecca has been one huge bloodbath on both sides. It appears there is no hope of moving on Mecca any time soon. Rather, we should concentrate efforts in that area towards simply holding the status quo.

Hope I didn't do too bad. I might have left a few units on go to. I tried to catch them all, but Its been so long I might have missed one or 2.

There is a setter. My plan was to use him to plug the gap in the north.

Sorry for the brief report, but I just didn't have time to do a better one

Here is the save

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/RBC5_AD-1750.zip

17. oldbustedjorn

oldbustedjorn Prince

Emporer is too easy for you guys :goodjob:

How about emporer AW? :crazyeye:

18. ToddMarshall

Right now, the hard part is finding time to play =/. Actually, I'm impressed by the ammount of cavalry Saladin has in the west. We could be in some peril there....

I'm glad now that I went for Rifles, as we may need those in short order.

19. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Nice turn, Todd.

Jester, you're up!

-Sirp.

20. Iester

Alright. No chance to get to it before the weekend, but I'll do it then.

-Jester