RB5 - Rome, Emperor, Lakes, Just win

ToddMarshall: That's fine. It is holiday season after all. (Btw around Christmas I may be away for ~5 days). Monday night is fine. By then bed_head may be able to play.

-Sirp.

Well, I was going to play tonite, but, umm, Skyfish posted a save after his EIGHTH turn not after his 10th. :rolleyes: I'm going to go play my MoO SG. If Sky gets the right save up, I'll play tonite.

- Maniac

It's ok. It may be more like dawn tuesday now though. beh head said he couldn't get it till the 13th anyway.....

OK, we have a settler on the way to yellow dot. The barbs are starting to menace Paris, and Toku is trying to flip most of our empire. Grand. I expect this to be a rather uneventful 10 turns.

IT - Somone completes the Oracle

[1] - Rome: Archer -> Archer

IT - Our new archer beats a barb archer near Rome and survives with 0.1 Health....

[2] - One of our scouting warriors has become completely traped in a 2 space pocket. I fortify him hoping he'll get "poped out" soon. The settler/Archer have to foritfy to face a barb warrior in the woods. I sett the worker to cottage up one of the FP's

IT - The warrior refuses to attack.

[3] - Move the "settler pair" onto a hill. I discover that new ice city Napster just planted against our capital has iron :(

IT - The warrior decides to try his luck against the archer on the hill. He doesn't even scratch the archer. Mystacisim comes in, we go for Alphabet since that seems to be the

[4] - Rome: Archer -> Archer (one more)

IT - Nothing

[5] - Antium: Archer -> Obelisk
Cumae: Worker -> Obelisk
The new worker is sent to chop rush the obelisk at cumae, then he'll hook the ivory.

IT - Nothing

[6] - Neapolis founded at yellow dot

IT - Nothing

[7] - Rome: Archer -> Settler
Science is down to 50% at +1 now. All the little no commerce cities ae killing us. Still, we HAVE to have that iron.

IT - Nothing

[8] - :sleep:

IT - Nothing

[9] - Cumae: Obelisk -> Grainery

IT - Nothing

[10] - Antium: Obelisk -> Library (for the culture)

Yepp A pretty boring set of turns. We're only able to run 55% science now. It's only going to get worse when we make the iron city. We need cottages asap. The archers south of rome are there to run interference for the iron settler. One worker is camping the ivory. I intended for the other to road between the first 2 cities. I'd probably start making cottages with him now. Our situation looks kinda grim, but hopefully it isn't anything a few (dozen) Praets can't handle.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/RBC5_BC-0875.zip

Great job on settling Yellow dot and building our culture :)
Just the Iron city and Blue dot now, then build up Praets, trade techs as soon as Alpha comes in, train/promote our Praets on the Barbs on our Purple dot and then lets start financing deficit research by taking Toku's cities ;)

Nice turn, maniac. I think we will have to get that iron going, accept that our research will be at a snail's pace,

and then start financing things with gold looted from cities during our first war. :devil:

Sirp <-- on deck
Skyfish
Jester
Maniac <-- Just played
bed_head <-- UP NOW

bed_head: if you can play within 48 hours, please claim it, otherwise let us know that you need to be skipped.

-Sirp.

Sirp: He said he'd get it today and play the 15th. I'd say if there isn't a "got it" from him when you check tomorrow that you should just take the game.

I'm more worried about Napolean than I am about Toku right now. Lets keep that option open in our thought process.

Whew. Took two finals today, two more tomorrow. Will play and post on the 15th, unless you would rather swap/skip, Sirp.

bed_head7 said:
Whew. Took two finals today, two more tomorrow. Will play and post on the 15th, unless you would rather swap/skip, Sirp.

That's completely fine. You can play on the 15th. Also please don't feel rushed, the 16th would be okay too if you gave us notice or a partial report by the 15th.

-Sirp.

Finished finals this afternoon and actually got home more quickly than I expected. Since my mom and sister had a singing engagement of some sort at church, I even had time to play.

875 BC (0) - Okay, settling blue dot and iron are our goals. And not getting killed.

IT - Our Archer successfully defends against a barb warrior.

850 BC (1) - And now our archer attacks a warrior successfully.

825 BC (2) - Exploring. And such.

800 BC (3) - Uh-oh. Barb axeman outside of Neapolis. I am not sure if there is any saving it, as a quick switch to slavery would do nothing, as Neapolis has no pop to whip. Hm. Too far away for reinforcements. Hopefully they'll go elsewhere.

775 BC (4) - Settler in Rome finishes. By my count, we have two workers. Now, this isn't Civ3, but I still think only two workers at this point is pushing it.

750 BC (5) - Looks like the axeman is heading right on in.

IT - Oh my goodness, our archer survived.

725 BC (6) - Pisae founded.

700 BC (7) - Another axeman outside Neapolis. This time we'll have another archer in there.

675 BC (8) - Two archers now, hopefully the one with City Garrison will survive. Also, ivory hooked up this turn.

IT - Nope, no such luck this time. Oh well.

650 BC (9) - The axeman is doen to 3.3, and our archer has first strike. Send him in, and we win, getting up to 5 experience points.

625 BC (10) - Give the victorius archer City Garrison I and II. And there is yet another axeman on the way. Ugh. At least with +45% city defense and +15% fortification (only three turns fortified when the axeman gets there) we'll have decent odds. We really need to get the copper hooked up soon though so we can build a better defensive unit. Or iron and praetorians. But we would still have to be able to defend our iron city long enough to get it hooked up.

Nothing big changed in our empire, and no diplomacy, as no one will trade us anything and we don't have alphabet (nor does anyone else, for that matter).

Nice going bed_head. I agree that two workers (EDIT: looking at the save, we actually have three) at this stage is playing it a little thin. We now need things like roads purely for strategic reasons to make our cities better at warding off barbarians as well as enemy invasions. I will try to get at least one more worker during my watch.

Also, I'm not sure what better units you want to defend our cities with. :) I think archers are probably the best units to defend against axemen with. With their +50% at city defense, they effectively have 4.5 strength plus a first strike. (And if the city is built on hills, another +25%). Axemen only have 5.0, no first strike, and are more expensive. Being the Romans, Praetorians are actually pretty good at defending cities, though expensive. Regular swordsmen though are worse than either archers or axemen against axemen.

I've got it. My mother is arriving all the way from New Zealand to visit me today, so I might take a while to play, but will get it done within the next 48 hours.

Sirp <-- UP NOW
Skyfish <-- On deck
Jester
Maniac
bed_head <-- Just played

Lurker Comment

Surprised at the farming of the flood plains, with such a food rich start I'd have put cottages on them as food isn't an issue whilst coin certainly will be. However I'm someone who just starts drooling at the prospect of a town on a river...all those coins, oh for a financial civ, with a town on a river and with printing press, free speech and universal sufferage...:clap:

I'd seriously consider reversing that decision at some point.

I started cottaging a FP on my turn IIRC.

I know I, for sure, intended the last 2 FP's to be cottaged, as well as the open grass on the river, though an alternative would be to wait till it can be watter milled.

A couple irrigations was called for, but 3 was probably pushing it a bit too far.

Edit: I've mostly played on maps where my cities were 80% costal and cottages weren't as big of an issue. The gold mine helps, but I still think we need more cottages.

At this level and on a pangea-like map the initial strategy is to get your first 4/5 settlers out as fast as possible in order to claim the best sites around you.
Seeing how the Barbs, Bonaparte, Toku and even Mali were surrounding us, it was essential to irrigate flood plains to get fast settlers out.
This was the best decision under the circumstances. Cottages can always come later.

I also agree with Sirp that Archers are our best defence right now, and since we have copper by Neapolis we can produce a few of those for their 50% melee bonus :)

Oh, right, forgot about the +50% for defending cities. Oops. As for the third worker, I think I built that one. I only remember there being one up by the elephants and one between Rome and, and, um, that city by Rome. Oh well, doesn't matter too much.

Well, maybe I'm thinking too Civ3-like, but I would always irrigate at least three flood plains for a start like ours. Production and growth is far more important than generating commerce early on, and irrigated flood plains will help get settlers and workers out quickly, while commerce won't.

Irrigating flood plains is a great way to turn a city into a "settler/worker factory".

-Sirp.

(0) 625BC: Emperor Sirp assumes control of the Roman Empire. We're not producing any military units anywhere, and

all our cities but Rome (settler) are building culture. Not necessarily bad, though I'd feel a little more

comfortable with some more archers -- and some more workers to build infrastructure, for that matter.

(1) 600BC: Another barbarian axeman comes toward Neapolis, as our archer recovers from the last one. Neapolis

finishes its obelisk, and I start it building an archer.

(2) 575BC: The barbarian axeman continues toward Neapolis, and our archer recovers to full health just in time.

With city defense 2, plus two turns of fortifying and the city bonus, we should win easily. We have a warrior to

back us up in the case of a narrow loss.

Something I notice that I didn't see in anyone else's report, and don't see in our log is that Napoleon and

Washington are at war! Maybe the war started before we had contacted Washington (?)

This is probably good for us, since it means Napoleon is distracted. Also it increases our chances of playing them

off against each other later. Considering how friendly we are with the Japanese due to our shared religion, perhaps

rather than seeing Japan as a rival, we should see them as a potentially valuable ally? After all, if Japan is our

enemy, I don't think we have too many good friends at all.

(3) 550BC: Cumae finishes its granary. We need workers, and it can build one in 12 turns if it works shield-heavy

tiles (and give us a little commerce by working the ivory), and since it's currently a city which needs lots of

improvement, I consider that a good deal.

(4) 525BC: Mansa Musa completes the Pyramids. Rome finishes its settler. I want it to build a worker, but it has

room to grow once without happiness problems, so I decide we can work on a library, with a switch to a worker after

growth. We need a library there to build culture as well as science. A barracks is important relatively soon too,

of course.

Japan is now +5 (Pleased) with us, and is willing to agree to Open Borders. Let us foster friendship with such a

peaceful and amicable neighbour.

(5) 500BC: Mansa Musa comes, offering us an Open Borders agreement. I accept.

Antium has just grown, and I reconfigure its tiles for commerce instead of growth, cutting Alphabet time from 4

turns to 3 turns. Sweet. No-one else has it yet. It'd be nice if we could get it first, or at least second.

Our settler waits in Pisae as we construct a road south-ward toward the iron. We wouldn't want to found the city

before getting Alphabet, anyhow, and it'll be useless to us until we have a road (and we actually want to use the

iron). We just have to make sure no-one else claims the site.

(6) 475BC: Antium finishes its library. As the only city with a barracks, I decide it can produce an archer for us.

A forest grows near Antium. :)

Roosevelt and Napoleon make peace. Drats.

Try as I might, I can't quite get Alphabet to come in one turn, so we will have to wait two. No-one else has it

yet.

It seems that Tokuguwa and Napoleon are rather good buddies, while Tokuguwa is not at all friendly with Mansa Musa,

and is none-too-pleased that we have an Open Borders agreement with him. So it seems at some point we will have to

choose who to make friends with: Mansa Musa and Washington, or Tokuguwa and Napoleon. Playing Toku and Napoleon

against each other won't be easy, since they are good friends. We can be good friends with them too, probably, but

I think we want to make war with at least one of them.

(7) 450BC: ...

(8) 425BC:

I make some trades: Alphabet + Pottery to Cyrus for Mathematics + Masonry. Alphabet to Napoleon for Sailing + Meditation.

We end up with all known technologies besides Polytheism, which several civilizations have, but no-one wants to trade, and metal casting, which only Saladin has, and he's not trading it. I set research to Priesthood, since it's cheap, and no-one has it, and it leads to the valuable Monarchy.

A barbarian axeman wandering around south of Pisae is scaring me, and making it difficult to be confident about our road-building efforts.

Now, I ran into a technical snag, explained in my next post... :confused:

Okay, so I ran into game behavior which I don't understand. I'm not sure if there's a rule I'm missing :blush: or if something strange is going on... :confused:

Anyhow, the problem is that Rome is size 6, has a large food surplus, and a full food box, is not producing a worker or settler, and yet is not growing.

The save is here

Just end the turn, and Rome doesn't grow past size 6. From the map, it doesn't say when Rome will grow, but in the city display, it says its food box is at 32/32, it has a food surplus of 20-12 = 8, and it's producing a library.

Can someone please explain to me why this is happening? :confused:

When we work out what's going on, I will finish off my turn.

-Sirp.

"Japan is now +5 (Pleased) with us, and is willing to agree to Open Borders. Let us foster friendship with such a peaceful and amicable neighbour."

:eek:

Wait, I don't think that's enough.

:eek: :eek:

-Jester

P.S.: Is th e "avoid growth" button on?

Top Bottom