1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RB5 - Rome, Emperor, Lakes, Just win

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirp, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Iester

Iester Entirely Without Humour

Allright, glad I finally get to jump in here!

Jester's First Turn

(0) 125 BC: Okay! Priority for my turn is going to be getting that Iron hooked up, and extend the road out to Neapolis. We'll see how that goes, but hopefully it won't be too hard to stay alive while doing it. I notice we are low on barracks. That's bad, and there's no point in building an invasion force without barracks. So, those cities without them should be them, either on my turn or the next.

(1) 100 BC: I keep producing military, another archer and chariot. We want to be in good shape for support units once the Praetorians hit the table. I drop research to 30%, to avoid immediate bankruptcy. I'll have to juggle that throughout my turn.

(2) 75 BC: We hit half a million people. Yay! The Japanese pop a great prophet, Mahavira. Iron is hooked up! Saladin has a nasty looking force of two archers and a chariot down by our Iron. I send an extra archer down there, just in case he starts getting ideas. I decide it's better to let Rome finish its library, rather than starting straight in on a praetorian. Maybe that's the wrong choice, but we'll see.

(3) 50 BC: Our poor warrior dies in the southeast to a barbarian warrior. I send an archer up to Jute to try and absorb their excursions. Hopefully, an archer fortified in the woods will be enough. At least, it will take some heat off us.

(4) 25 BC: Antium and pisae start on praetorians. Saladin still looks threatening. We'll see what he does.

(5) 1 AD: Whew, Saladin is going around. Allah be praised. :worship:

(6) 25 AD: Confucianism FIDAL. Otherwise, just moving units around. A barbarian warrior is coming up from the south, but we've got chariots to deal with it.

(7) 50 AD: Saladin threatens us for alphabet. I don't really want to start a war with him right now, and our relations are bad enough that we might just be risking it. Better to be on the safe side, and deal with him once we've finished Toku. Cumae finishes a barracks, and starts on a praetorian. Oh, and nobody seems to be interested in trading. Maybe monarchy will let us trade with napoleon, we'll see.

(8) 75 AD: Rome and Ravenna start barracks. Our first praetorian finishes, so I order up another.

(9) 100 AD: Moving stuff around, nothing big.

(10) 125 AD: Monarchy comes in. 2 barbarian archers spotted in the south, which makes me glad I moved those chariots over there. A warrior I sent to scout spotted them, and I won't move him, so that the next person can see the archers. Our tech is tenatively set to construction, although that's rather arbitrary. My thinking was to get catapults, but there are plenty of other options. Currency is always nice. There are still no trades to make, but nobody has construction or currency yet.

So, that's my turn! We've got barracks and praetorians coming pretty much everywhere, and a very solid defensive position. In short, there must have been someone else playing my turns, because I *never* have a solid defensive situation. :crazyeye:

Oh, and just a small note: we might want to get the marble hooked up. You never know when it might come in handy.

-Jester

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/RBC5_AD-0125.Civ4SavedGame

2. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Sirp
    Skyfish
    Jester <-- Just played
    Maniac <-- UP NOW
    bed_head <-- On deck

3. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

I see I'm up. Expect me to need the whole 48.

I'm going to play as much of my 10 as I can tonite. I HAVE to do other things the next 3 nights, and will probably need a few skips after this, so... I'll play as many as I can before 1am.

4. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

Disregard the previous. I'm going to need a skip. I'm sorry. I really thought I'd have time to get my turns in today. :(

I'm going to need skipped till January 3rd unless I post otherwise. Sorry for holding everyone up :(

5. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

It's okay Marshall,

Sirp <-- on deck
    Skyfish
    Jester <-- Just played
    Maniac (skipped)
    bed_head <-- UP NOW

I will be away starting tomorrow, until the 28th. If bed_head can get his turn done today I can play, or if you don't mind bed_head, let me know and we can maybe swap for this round.

If I don't get to go, its Skyfish's call on whether he wants to skip me and play, or whether we want to put the game on hold over Christmas.

-Sirp.

6. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

Go ahead and take it Sirp.

7. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, I'm going to try and play over the next couple of hours. Stay tuned. :)

8. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Apologies for the lack of detail, and lack of screenshots. I had a short amount of time to play this.

(0) 125AD: After analyzing the state of our empire, I hold an immediate revolution to switch to hereditary rule and slavery. It would have been nice to switch to Monotheism at the same time, but we might not get that for a while, and I think we need Hereditary Rule now to allow Rome to grow larger.

(1) 150AD: Our government is reformed. With Monarchy we can build a winery, so I dispatch a worker to start on one by Antium.

IBT Saladin comes asking us to cancel deals with Mali. I refuse.

(2) 175AD: Barbarians approach from the south, but our forces are well set to handle them. Our exploring warrior runs into a barbarian axeman...

IBT the barb axeman kills our warrior.

(3) 200AD: Pisae: Praetorian -> Praetorian. Our chariot attacks and kills a barb archer who strayed onto our road network between Antium and Pisae. This advances our chariot to level 4.

(4) 225AD: Rome: barracks -> Praetorian. Christianity is founded in Nisa. Tokuguwa declares war on Roosevelt. Praetorians converge toward Jute, the barbarian city. We should be in position to capture it within a few turns.

(5) 250AD: I trade rice for deer with Napoleon, partly because Rome is now unhealthy, but more just to foster good relations with Napoleon, since him agreeing to a war against someone (e.g. Toku) in future could be nice, and we are ahead of him in tech, so we have something to give him in exchange.

(6) 275AD: Our forces converge around Jute ready to capture it.

(7) 300AD: The siege of Jute goes quickly. One Praetorian is reduced to 6.7/8, and the other emerges without a scratch. We get a sweet sack of gold, and a nice worker.

Mansa Musa has switched to Christianity. Darn it.

Cyrus has discovered Currency.

(8) 325AD: Planning begins for a possible war with Japan. Tokyo looks like a juicy target. The Antium-Jute road is being constructed to facilitate easy moving of troops. Japan has managed to discover Construction. They haven't traded with anyone else yet though, so we may still be able to get some trade value out of it.

(9) 350AD: Toku comes asking us to declare on Washington. I refuse, on the basis that we're about to declare on him. :)

Washington comes asking us to cancel deals (open borders) with Japan. We accept, given that we're about to declare on Toku anyway. :)

Tokyo, the Jewish Holy City has had its borders expand, and now attacking from the West will mean going through alot of Japanese territory. We can still reach it in only two turns from the south though. We just need to get a road going up there to prepare for an invasion.

(10) 375AD: We make a gold for sugar deal with Mansa Musa, now we have a second supply hooked up.

Toku moves some workers right by our border near Tokyo. Very tempting.

Hopefully we can make some trades when Construction comes in. Unfortunately diplomatically we don't have any good friends anymore. I'm not sure we will be able to sign anyone up against Toku.

Hopefully we can be in a position to declare war against Tokuguwa soon. We need the gold from city captures, if nothing else. With only an axeman and an archer guarding it, Tokyo is a very good target. We should be able to take it with the loss of only 1-2 Praetorians, which is a bargain. I don't think we need to wait for construction and catapults before declaring if we can get things in position before then.

Good luck!

-Sirp.

9. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

I think that rather than skipping, we should put the game on hold if people can't play before December 27. It's understandable not to have time at this time of year.

Sirp <-- (played out of order)
    Skyfish <-- on deck
    Jester
    Maniac (skipped)
    bed_head <-- UP NOW

-Sirp.

10. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

I have it now. Hopefully, should be an interesting turnset.

11. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

375 AD (0) - I would rather have a few more shields in Rome, so switch a couple of tiles around.

400 AD (1) - Moving units into place. Will probably declare on Japan in the next couple of turns.

425 AD (2) - Moving units.

450 AD (3) - Units are now in place. Will declare next turn.

IT -

Roosevelt comes asking for us to declare war against Toku. Well, if you insist.

475 AD (4) - And then Roosevelt makes peace. How nice. Oh well. The units before moving in:

500 AD (5) - Things do not go well. The chariot is sent in first, since it has a good chance of withdrawal. It withdraws, but does no damage to the defending axeman. Oh well. The Praet with City Attack II or whatever has roughly even odds, but loses while doing almost no damage. It did do enough to tip it in our favor, though, but that doesn't stop another Praet from losing to the axeman. The archer is then on top, and we have 8 strength versus 5 something, but the archer wins. With our last two Praets, we at least manage to kill the archer and axeman finally, but the city is still defended by a catapult, and it will be at least another turn before we take Tokyo and the whole campaign will be slowed by our heavier than expected losses.

In addition to all of that, trade Alphabet and Priesthood to Napoleon for Horseback Riding and 40g.

520 AD (6) - Well, they stuck a Horse Archer in Tokyo, but that didn't stop us from taking it without any additional losses.

540 AD (7) - Most of our units are just healing.

560 AD (8) - Construction is learned. Trade it and Horseback Riding to Roosevelt for Currency and Polytheism. It takes Construction plus 30g to get the equally valued Calender.

580 AD (9) - This turn, we are able to get Monotheism and 350g for Construction from Cyrus of Persia. That will fund a few turns of heavy deficit research on Feudalism.

600 AD (10) - Not much about the war was mentioned, as there was only some minor skirmishing, which unfortunately did not go in our favor. I don't think I managed to win a single battle in my turnset where we didn't have an advantage in strength and applicable modifiers of at least 25% or 30%, which is unfortunately no exageration. It was good at least that I always brought at least two Praets to do the job that one should have been able to handle for the most part, or there would have been five or six wounded but alive (just barely) Japanese sworsdmen and horse archers. Anyway, some units in Tokyo that are healing, and a few more that have finished, could go on the offensive or we could sign a cease fire with Japan if Tokyo was all that we wanted.

The border expansion at Tokyo which brough in dyes allowed a trade with Cyrus for spices.

Only other thing of note is the axeman down near our iron. I left a Praet in the area so the next player can follow whatever course he feels is appropriate.

12. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Great going bed_head, despite some bad luck.

If Tokuguwa is happy to have a cease fire, perhaps we could take it, and have the opportunity to reorganize before declaring war again if we want to?

A combination of Praetorians and Catapults should be able to capture Kyoto nicely.

Also, taking out that barb city in the south will give us some nice gold, so it's worth doing whenever we can spare a few praetorians.

Sirp <-- (played out of order)
    Skyfish <-- UP NOW
    Jester <-- on deck
    Maniac
    bed_head <-- just played

I am leaving to go and visit my wife's family in Kansas City and won't be back until the 28th. I am happy for the game to either continue or 'pause' over this time.

-Sirp.

13. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

OK I got it, can probably finish before the 27th...
    It will be interesting to play drunk on Champagne and fine wines :D

14. Iester

I'm going out of town for a few days, starting on Boxing day. I'm not sure exactly when I'll be back, probably the 28th or 29th.

However, I won't be able to play it very early at all. Shall we take a Christmas Pause (tm)?

:coffee:

If it's all the same to the rest of you, I'd rather not have to skip again if I can help it!

-Jester

15. Clovis

Clovis Charlemagne's Grandfather

Great game, guys! :hatsoff: I have to wait until June to get a computer that runs Civ4, :aargh: :wallbash: :gripe: so SGs like this are what keeps me alive. Once I do get it...:mischief: I may just join in on a few myself. :hammer:
    :bounce:

untile then! :coffee: :newyear:

16. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

Sorry guys ! Too much Champagne (...and too many connection/PC issues) here : if someone can take it (Jester?) please go ahead :)

17. Iester

Sure, I'll grab it. I'm back in town, and there's probably enough time for me to finish it.

-Jester

18. Iester

Jester&#8217;s Second Turn

I sit back and glance at our situation. We&#8217;re the most productive civ, but we&#8217;re far behind in terms of GNP, and we&#8217;re up against Mansa Musa, who has run away with more games than any other AI I&#8217;ve ever seen. Also, while praetorians have perhaps the largest &#8220;window&#8221; in the game, it does eventually close with macemen, and Japan is conveniently the civ to benefit most at that time.

In short, I decide we need more of Japan. Maybe even all of Japan.

Looking at Edo, I wonder what the heck Toku is thinking. They have:

2 elephants
    1 horse archer
    1 swordsman
    2 catapults
    1 axeman
    1 chariot
    1 spearman
    1 archer

In addition to the grab bag selection of units, that&#8217;s actually a pretty strong force. We can beat it, but we&#8217;ll have to tread carefully. That means more praetorians. So, I&#8217;m going to stay at war, but maybe hold off on advancing further until some catapults and praetorians are in place.

(1) 620 AD: Toku moves his SoD down from Edo, and moves a scattering of units into our territory. Could get messy&#8230; I attack the war elephant closest to Tokyo. I lose at 67% odds, which sucks, and I only do a couple damage to the elephant. Some days, you get the bear&#8230; Our second praetorian mops him up easily.

(2) 640: Toku murders a worker that I couldn&#8217;t move (after I noticed he was in danger, he&#8217;d already &#8220;taken&#8221; his turn) with a horse archer. He shall pay. Oh, yes, he shall pay. At 75% odds, I attack. Of course, our praetorian loses. What the heck is going on here?!? I mop him up with a second one, but this is looking worse and worse for us.

(3) 660: We beat a swordsman at Tokyo, but a horse archer mops up the second praetorian I sent to kill the wounded archer (90% plus odds, but he still damages us by more than half.). We&#8217;re really running low on praetorians, but it&#8217;s none of our doing. We&#8217;re just losing surprisingly often against the odds.

(4) 680: Our deal for luxuries with Cyrus falls through&#8230; I&#8217;ll have to patch that up, if possible. I order a couple war elephants rather than praetorians to help deal with Toku&#8217;s incessant horse archers. We have better luck this turn, with our praets going 3 for 3 against horse archers, just like they&#8217;re *supposed* to.

(5) 700: I upgrade the warrior at Cumae to a spearman, in order to free up our praetorians without having to worry about that city falling to a roving horse archer (a specific one, who is sitting two tiles to the NE&#8230;) It looks like Toku has less steam than he once had, although that little SoD is still out there somewhere. I whip the library in Jute.

(6) 720: Cyrus demands we cancel deals with the French. I ponder his request, but decide to reject it. Hopefully, that&#8217;s not the wrong call. Taoism is FIDAL. Spearman attacks horse archer, wins easily.

(7) 740: I switch Neapolis to a library. I worry about the state of our infrastructure, but I think we&#8217;ll have to just deal with that once we&#8217;ve taken a couple more Japanese cities.

(8) 760: Napoleon offers 240 gold for monotheism. Sounds like a trade to me, since we&#8217;re running out of money, we&#8217;re way behind on GNP, and it honestly doesn&#8217;t matter if Napoleon can run Org. Religion. Toku switches to Hinduism, which makes him hate us even more. Joy.

(9) 780: Rome starts on a market. We need to turn our deficit around somehow, so we might as well start here. Our forces are approaching Osaka. It&#8217;s well defended, but not impenetrable, and we have 3 catapults that can be suicided if need be. I hope that won&#8217;t be necessary, but I leave it up to whoever is playing that turn. I whip the granary in Tokyo.

(10) 800 AD: We have entered the Medieval era! Feudalism comes in. I move units around, etc&#8230; nothing especially interesting happened.

Well, that&#8217;s ten! We&#8217;re in a bit of a tricky spot. We have military power, and that&#8217;s a *huge* plus. We can definitely take Osaka and Kyoto, and we might want to stop there, and build infrastructure. As it stands, we&#8217;re only making money if we go down to 20% science, which is not cool. Courthouses are an absolute necessity here. I&#8217;ve set our research tentatively to metal casing, but, thinking it over, code of laws might be better, as I&#8217;m not sure anyone will trade us for it.

We could revolt into vassalage, serfdom, or both. I haven&#8217;t, but vassalage especially might be a good plan.

If we do go passive within the next while, we might think about spreading Judaism (or even Hinduism, if we get the shrine in Osaka) far and wide, since we can make money (which we don&#8217;t have) out of production (which we do have). State religion might also be a bonus there, once we&#8217;re not making any more units. Be sure to get us out of vassalage, if we go into it anyway, once we&#8217;re out of war. No point in paying for what we don&#8217;t need.

We almost have the territory we need to start to dominate this game. But we&#8217;re a long ways yet, so let&#8217;s keep it in high gear!

-Jester

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/RBC5_AD-0800.Civ4SavedGame

19. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, I'm back from my Christmas trip. Looks like a 'tense' situation.

Skyfish, Marshall: can either of you take it any time soon?

I appreciate that things go into a lull at this time of year, but I do want to keep the game moving at least slowly, if at all possible. :)

Also, does anyone have any feelings about upgrading to the latest patch? It would certainly mean lots of gameplay rule changes that would affect us...

-Sirp.

20. Iester

Er... my turn was played on the new patch. I completely forgot that we hadn't decided on that.

Sorry, but I may have comitted us here.

-Jester