1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RB5 - Rome, Emperor, Lakes, Just win

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirp, Dec 4, 2005.

1. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

Okay, I have no idea what I was thinking. It is Martin Luther King Jr. day and I no mail today, so earliest is tomorrow. Again, feel free to swap or skip me as I like. Sorry for being so unavailable to play. I never would have signed up if I had known I would be causing so much trouble.

2. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

Got the package but no Civ4. My mom could not find it at home, so I guess I must have stuffed it randomly in one of the boxes of my stuff once I knew my room would be taking water. As I won't be able to look through it all for at least a few months, this means I will have to drop out. I am really sorry, and I hope that sometime in the future I get to play with you all again, as I was very much enjoyed the turns I played in this game. As this is the first time I have played with all of you, I would like to also note that I played fortysomething Civ3 SGs, and never even asked for a skip for the most part, so please just forget what you have from me in this game as I am typically much more reliable.

3. Iester

Iester Entirely Without Humour

Hey, no prob, Bed_head. I don't think anyone in this thread has been lax. It's just that we were playing over Christmas, and had a streak of bad luck besides.

Hope to play with you again, and if you get things running before we finish (by some miracle), jump in sometime!

So, uh... who's up?

-Jester

4. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

Da Boss himself is up :D

5. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, I got it. Will probably play within the next 24 hours.

Sirp <-- UP NOW
    Skyfish <-- on deck
    Jester
    Maniac (skipped)
    bed_head (skipped)

6. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Apologies for the very brief report and lack of screenshots. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to play this one.

(0) 1300AD: I admire the fine empire Jester has left me with.

IBT the Americans ask us to declare on Japan. I figure that we can easily deal with the Japanese, and it would be

nice to make the Americans like us more, so I declare. This does have the effect which I didn't consider of

increasing unhappiness in former Japanese cities.

(1) 1310AD: We easily capture Walata. I start sending troops after the only known source of Mali iron.

(2) 1320AD: Malinese iron captured. Timbuktu looks like an attractive target. We direct all troops there.

(3) 1330AD: I start converging on Timbuktu from the south and the west. Not much Mali opposition so far.

(4) 1340AD: Some Malinese knights try to counter-attack near Timbuktu. Our troops continue to converge. We discover

Paper. I manage trades for Theology and Drama, as well as maps of almost the entire world.

(5) 1350AD: Our first bombardment against Timbuktu occurs. No sign of any Malinese catapults yet. Many troops will

surround Timbuktu by next turn. We get a Great Merchant, who I will send West toward Persia to establish a trade route.

(6) 1360AD: A Malinese infantry stack with a catapult arrives from the north, to threaten our gathered troops. I decide the best course of action is to try to push an attack on Timbuktu this turn. The city falls with minimal losses. I mop up most of the remaining Malinese forces with our new found ability around Timbuktu. However, war weariness is high, and I don't think we can take another Malinese city easily. So I make peace.

This leaves us still at war with Japan. Unless Satsuma is incredibly well defended, we should be able to overwhelm it.

(7) 1370AD: Satsuma is defended by a longbowman, three spearmen, and a catapult. All we have to do is defeat the longbowman, and the spearmen will be easy meat for our macement. Our forces begin converging.

In other news, Napoleon and Cyrus make peace.

(8) 1380AD: The bombardment of Satsuma begins. Our forces start moving into position. Next turn we should be able to capture the city.

(9) 1390AD: Satsuma falls with little fanfare. One of our macement perished in the attack. This reduces Japan to being an eskimo-state. Tokuguwa still won't make peace though, which is bad because our Japanese cities have big happiness problems.

(10) 1400AD: Our Great Merchant nets us 1600 gold as he creates a trade route to Persepolis.

I think we can probably wage one more pre-gunpowder war. Perhaps declaring again on Mali once our peace treaty expires. Alternatively, we could go after America. Either way would give us access to our biggest rival: Persia.

I think Domination (or perhaps virtual Domination via the UN) is looking like the way to go.

7. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Sirp <-- just played
    Skyfish <-- UP NOW
    Jester <-- on deck
    Maniac (please let us know if you expect to be able to play this round)
    bed_head (please let us know if you expect to be able to play this round)

8. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

OK I got it.
    Am travelling at the moment so am not sure when I will be able to play, I expect tomorrow night after the football game...

9. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

Hey I am terribly sorry but I wont be able to play this round, I have to ask for my first skip, we've had pretty bad luck on this SG but I really can not play at all I am sorry :(

10. Iester

Okay... well, that would put it back around to me!

I'm going to give 24 (from now) for someone, anyone to take it, since I played next-to-last!

If nobody has it by then, I'll take it, and may god help our poor little game to be under my thumb so often. :rolleyes:

-Jester

11. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Sounds like a good idea. I am of course excluded, since I played last. :p

Nonsense....you've been doing great. I think we as a team have been doing very well. :)

-Sirp.

12. Iester

Alrighty then.

I've got it. I'll probably play tomorrow night, so if anyone wants to step in and grab it before then, feel free!

-Jester

13. Iester

Aaaand there goes another night when I didn't manage to get this game done.

Sorry, guys. Tomorrow it will be.

Not that there's a clamour to take the game, or anything. :lol:

-Jester

14. Iester

(0)1400 AD: I look over our situation, and resolve to wipe Toku from the face of the planet. I should be done by the end of my round, and frankly, it can&#8217;t hurt to have him gone. Plus, it will occupy us while we wait for the peace treaty with Mansa Musa to expire, so we can kick him around some more. Also, I notice Musa is as insane as Toku: whereas Toku will almost NEVER trade, even when it&#8217;s obviously to his advantage, Musa will ALWAYS trade, even if he hates your guts. We&#8217;re at -8 relationship, and yet his techs are all up for sale. What a guy.

(1) 1410: Shuffling stuff around.

(2) 1420: More of the same

(3) 1430: Printing press comes in. I&#8217;m not exactly certain what we should get, but I decide that nationalism would help enormously, both for the civic and for the Taj Mahal. I set our research to philosophy, due in 3 turns. Our first maceman scouts Nagoya, which has a longbow and a spear defending. Easy target.

(4) 1440: Nagoya falls to the Americans, who autoraze it. One more Japanese city to go!

(5) 1450: Roosevelt trades us Guilds, his world map, and 370 gold for printing press. Sounds good to me.

(6) 1460: I set our research to education. We might not be the first to liberalism, but we might as well give it a shot. Universities might be helpful anyway, and nobody else is coming up on nationalism yet.

(7) 1470: Japan is finished. We lose a catapult and two macemen trying to take it (stupid longbows-on-hills) but we manage it. Time to think about war with Mansa Musa. I trade philosophy to Roosevelt for banking and 30 gold.

(8) 1480: Snore.

(9) 1490: Snore.

(10) 1500 AD: Malinese revolt in Satsuma. Well, there&#8217;s at least one good reason to declare on Mansa Musa, to push his borders back.

Well, there you have it. Not exactly inspiring turns, mostly spend moving workers around and finishing off Japan. We&#8217;re in a good position to attack Mansa Musa, and I&#8217;ve ordered up some knights and catapults to help us in that. Cyrus has gunpowder, but nobody else does, so we should be able to pull of this war at least. Our happiness situation is very, very good right now, so war weariness won&#8217;t catch up to us. It also doesn&#8217;t look like Mali is very well defended, although they may have some units in reserve. Be sure to bring lots of suicide catapults to bust up those double city garrison promoted longbows, though.

So, for the next, I think that&#8217;s probably the best move. We could attack the Americans instead, but they aren&#8217;t the ones who are constantly pushing the tech envelope, and they&#8217;re also probably harder to fight.

As for tech, I've set us on a long shot grab for liberalism or economics, whichever we want to shoot for. I say get both if we can, but that largely depends on what Mali is doing, techwise.

-Jester

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/RBC5_AD-1500.Civ4SavedGame

15. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Okay, so,

Sirp
    Skyfish
    Jester <-- just played
    Maniac <-- UP NOW
    bed_head <-- on deck

Maniac, bed_head, are you going to be able to play this round?

-Sirp.

16. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Well, I'm not sure if it has just been that this game has been too easy, and thus not exciting enough, or if players just haven't been interested, or if an unfortunate series of events have conspired to keep players from playing. However it does seem that there is not enough interest or free time to sustain this game.

So, I think I'm going to have to declare it abandoned due to lack of available player time. At least we can rest happily knowing we would have won handily if we had played it out. Thanks to everyone for playing.

-Sirp.

17. Iester

Awww...

Well, I've learned my lesson: Always keep around a couple of alternates.

Sorry for my part in killing the buzz, since I actually really liked this game.

Congrats to everyone on a game well played, and I look forward to playing with you all again when there's more time in the world!

-Jester

18. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

You didn't kill it at all....you were the only one still playing at the end. :)

I also enjoyed it, and do look forward to future games with the participants.

-Sirp.

19. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

I was enjoying it too. Sorry to see it die. But I still have no clue where my CD is, and I am certainly not paying for another copy any time soon.

20. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

My apologies for not being available recently, it s been tough in RL.

I played a lot of turns in that game though so I dont feel to bad ;)

The game was won already so it was hard to stay motivated but it was more RL issues for me, let s play again one day !