RB9 - Cottage Cheese

Nothing changed on inherited.

Turn 1 (1912): LOTS of builds complete. Notably, of course,

Therefore most cities that finished builds immediately start SS components.

Surprisingly, the Suffrage vote went through! Biz and Qin voted for us. No idea why it did this time, but not the previous ones.

Gandhi completes the first AI spaceship part, a Casing.

Tokugawa's the only one with money, and we need some to keep running 100% science, so I sell him Mass Media now we've built the wonders there. We now have enough money to keep running 100% for at least my round.

Turn 2 (1914): War fails to break out. Zzzzzzzz...

Turn 3 (1916): Fiber Optics comes in. I decide the most efficient path is to go for the more expensive, undoubleable components first, that is the Engine and Stasis Chamber. Satellites and Ecology can be picked up for a song afterwards, and the parts built much more quickly while the others are still in production. I therefore set us on Fission -> Fusion, getting that before Genetics since there's the chance of the Great Engineer for hitting it first.

Lots of NDSRs being built.

Turn 4 (1918): Nada, so I laugh briefly at Pharsalos' culture instead.

By the by, Corinth's culture is up to 37% American, I don't think we have to worry about it flipping away from us.

Turn 5 (1920): We are reelected SecGen, Bizzy and Qin voting for us again.

Gandhi now has 4 casings built. We have none, with four in production, as well as the Docking Bay and Cockpit. It occurs to me to wonder whether we have spies checking on how many other components he has, but it would appear that none of us have managed to pick up Communism at all. Since neither Gandhi nor Toku will trade it to us, I will give serious thought to picking it up between Fission and Fusion. Spies can easily make those last couple of turns difference on the last part.

Turn 6 (1921): The city that Saladin daftly put right near Corinth flips to us, not that a picture of that showed up, of course. I accept, if nothing else it comes with a free MechInf. It does cost us a good 20gpt or so, though.

Turn 7 (1922): Fission -> Communism. It's only two turns, I think it's worth it. Gandhi builds his last Casing, Tokugawa his first. Bizzy starts a Golden Age, but still doesn't have Apollo, so hopefully won't be that much of a threat even so.

Turn 8 (1923): I propose Nuclear Non-proliferation to the UN, just in case. We certainly won't be able to afford to build Nukes ourselves, so why should anyone else?

Turn 9 (1924): Toku offers Flight for Computers. I deny him, since ours is required for space, and his is not.

Communism -> Fusion (in 5). I recommend going Refrigeration -> Genetics after that, then picking up the others.

Atlanta Casing -> Scotland Yard (in 11. I'm pretty sure that'll be soon enough to be useful) There's still another Casing to build, but plenty of time and cities to do it in.

NNP passes unanimously as ever.

Turn 10 (1925): Nada, zip, squat. Nothing whatsoever happens.

Gandhi and Toku are both far enough behind us on tech that our production problems shouldn't be an issue. What with our saved GA (don't get the timing on that wrong) we should be significantly ahead to win this.

I make this about two more rounds to the end. The techs listed in F6 claim 20 turns to complete them all, but that can be sped up with the GA, since we won't need the full 8 turns to complete the part, so long as the last one is Ecology, with the mere 800 (double with Copper) cost of the part there.

--Garath

And the save. Keep us rolling, Bede. If we aren't declared on, it should be fairly plain sailing from here.

Good calls all around on that turn, Garath. I also thought about going for Communism to get spies on my turnset, but we had already delayed Rocketry for too long as-is. I don't think anyone can possibly catch us in the space race, but it never hurts to be certain. The outlined tech path is more or less what I would have picked myself.

It was a rough game at the start, but we're cruising now. Stay the course, Bede. :)

Got it. Play Friday, post Friday night. I really like spies at this stage, too.

So, finish Fusion then Refrigeration, then Genetics. Save the GA. Keep us out of war.

Actually, I'd trigger the Golden Age pretty soon. We want to use it not only for building the last spaceship parts, but for researching the last techs as well. Your call on when to trigger it, but holding off too much longer would actually be counterproductive.

Lurker Question:

Doesn't the GA just add extra hammers and commerce and not a % more? If thats true, wouldn't it always make sense to use it early in your situation? In fact, it would make more sense to use it now instead of when your research is done because of the extra commerce.

EDIT: Of course if you have more cities, you would get more benefit I guess.

I could be way off on this too - thats always possible :blush:

*Shrugs and goes back to lurking*

Right, you do want to use the Golden Age before your research is done. That's what I was just saying. ;) However, you also want to use it while building as many spaceship parts as possible. That's where the timing part comes in. The exact turn isn't so important, but if we wait another 20 turns, we'll have let the Golden Age largely go to waste.

Turn 335 (1925 AD)
Looks like the best time to start the GA is when the research on Genetics starts as that is the most costly of the remaining technologies and we will have the production boost to build the Space Engine at Boston as the Elevator will be finished. We will also have accumulated enough GP for another Golden Age by then as well.

Turn 336 (1926 AD)
Toku finishes two casings but so do we

Turn 337 (1927 AD)
Philadelphia begins: Tank
Chengdu begins: Tank

Turn 338 (1928 AD)
Tech learned: Fusion and William T. G. Morton (Great Engineer) born in Washington and Washington finishes the SS Cockpit

Turn 339 (1929 AD)
Basra's borders expand

Turn 340 (1930 AD)

And Boston starts the Engine

Turn 341 (1931 AD)
Gandhi starts a Golden Age.
Cold beer heah!, as we learn Refrigeration

Turn 342 (1932 AD)
Begin Genetics kick off our Golden Age with four turns to go on Genetics @-88 with 340 in the bank and two GP available for a second GA when this one ends as Carl Friedrich Gauss, another Great Scientist, is born in Washington

Washington finishes SS Casing
New York finishes SS Docking Bay
Philadelphia finishes Tank

Turn 343 (1933 AD)
Washington begins Hydro Plant
New York begins Tank
Philadelphia begins Tank

Atlanta finishes Scotland Yard
Sparta finishes SS Casing and that makes five

Turn 344 (1934 AD)
Atlanta begins: Spy
Sparta begins: Barracks
Gandhi gets his cockpit and knows Satellites just like Toku. But won't trade, just like Toku. While the Chancellor finishes the Apollo Program

New York finishes Tank
Atlanta finishes: Spy
Corinth finishes: Granary
Basra finishes: Courthouse

Turn 345 (1935 AD)
Basra begins: Lighthouse
Corinth begins: Library
New York begins: Tank

La Femme Nikita heads off to check out the Indian capitol with a stop in Lahore

There are five turns left on this Golden Age and the GP's needed for a second at Chengdu. There is 1 turn left on Genetics and a positive cash flow and ~4 for Satellites. The Engine will finish at Boston in 3. Washington is building a Hydro Plant now due in 1.

We are second in Manufacturing output right now, not bad for a bunch of cheese heads. :banana:

Turn 345 (1935 AD)
Methos: One turn left on Genetics, than four turns for Satellites, and than three turns on Ecology to finish off our required techs. So eight turns not counting overflow to finish our research.
Methos: Correction, with only five turns left on our GA Ecology will take longer than it states.
Methos: We have two great scientist with an 80% chance of another in a few turns. A GA requires three great people of different types, so I see no way to have another GA during my turn set.
Tech learned: Genetics
Washington finishes: Hydro Plant
Sparta finishes: Barracks
Corinth grows: 5

Turn 346 (1936 AD)
Research begun: Satellites
Methos: The vote comes in, and we are still the Sec. General.
Methos: Our spy gets to Delhi to find them building the Three Gorges Dam.
Methos: Since Delhi wasn't interesting I continued on to Karachi.
Philadelphia finishes: Tank

Turn 347 (1937 AD)
Philadelphia begins: Drydock
Atlanta begins: Tank
Methos: While touring Shanghai our spy notices Qin still has 11 turns until his Apollo Program is complete.
Methos: Looks like the Indian city of Madras has 5 turns left on a Thruster.
New York finishes: Tank
Boston finishes: SS Engine
Chengdu finishes: Tank

Turn 348 (1938 AD)
New York begins: Tank
Boston begins: Laboratory
Methos: Wow! Boston doesn't have a lab yet!
Methos: India's Calcutta is also building thrusters with 9 turns left. Only producing 55 hpt.

Turn 349 (1939 AD)
Atlanta begins: Aqueduct
Atlanta begins: Walls
Methos: Couldn't remember what our civics were so decided to not do any UN resolution.
Tech learned: Satellites
New York finishes: Tank
Boston finishes: Laboratory
Philadelphia finishes: Drydock
Atlanta finishes: Walls
Dante Alighieri (Great Artist) born in Chengdu
Basra finishes: Lighthouse
Golden Age ends

Turn 350 (1940 AD)
Research begun: Ecology
Philadelphia begins: Battleship
Basra begins: Harbor

Turn 351 (1941 AD)
Methos: Japan's Osaka has one turn left on a lab.
Methos: Japan's Kagoshima has two turns left on a thruster
Chengdu finishes: Tank

Turn 352 (1942 AD)
Methos: Japan's Kyoto has two turns left on a thruster.
Methos: After India's Madras completes its thruster it begins work on a nuclear plant.
Tech learned: Ecology
Corinth grows: 6
Basra grows: 3

Turn 353 (1943 AD)
Research begun: Flight
Methos: Qin must have rushed his Apollo Program, as just got the message it was completed. When I looked it still had 11 turns left.

Turn 354 (1944 AD)
Boston finishes: SS Thrusters

Turn 355 (1945 AD)
Methos: Japan's Kagoshima is building a lab, so I head for Edo.
Methos: Edo is building a tank.
Methos: Japan's Kyoto is building a lab so head for Osaka and find it is building the docking bay. It'll finish in ten turns.
Methos: India's Calcutta will finish its thrusters in two so head to Lahore where they are building arty.
Methos: India's Madras will finish a gunship in two so head to Delhi where they are still working on the Dam. Will finish in 13.
Methos: Move on to Karachi where they will finish a battleship in two.

We have three great people in Chengdu (two scientist and one artist). I didn’t know what to do with them so left them to rest. They didn’t provide any good techs so wasn’t sure what to do with them.

I pass it off to Sullla who will finish her in five turns. Currently we have this:

Washington: SS Chamber- finished in 1 turn
New York: SS Thruster- finished in 4 turns
Boston: SS Life Support- finished in 5 turns
Atlanta: SS Thruster- finished in 5 turns

Atlanta is also losing food but will not starve before we launch.

One thing, I seemed to be having some trouble with Bede's save. It took a while for my function keys to work than the mini-map went nuts. Luckily I hadn't started playing yet, just going through the save. I restarted the game several times and finally rebooted the computer. It still jumped to the desktop a couple times but didn't crash. Not for sure if it was the save or what. My computer hasn't had any trouble with [civ4] so was confused by what was going on. Anyway...

Take us to liftoff, Sullla! It was a great game everyone!

Roster:
Sullla- Liftoff!
Conroe
Garath
Bede
Methos- Just Played

(0) 1945AD OK, we will win in 5 turns once the parts get built. I can't see anything happening that would change that. So let's have a little fun first before launching. I move our spies towards Saladin, whipping boy of the planet. I move our Great Artist who has no other purpose towards the junk colony of Basra. Might as well grab a few more tiles... Drop research to 0% (we don't need any more techs!) For some upgrades...

(1) 1946AD Build SS Stasis chamber in Washington. We train a battleship in Philadelphia for our first naval unit! :lol:

Spy reveals that Saladin is working on Apollo Program in his best city, the capital. Unfortunately, since that city is stuck at size 12, it will take him 30 more turns! Forces are assembling...

(2) 1947AD Hey Saladin, remember when you declared war on us? PAYBACK TIME! :hammer: Pay Qin Medicine to join us in the fight (and get Fascism in the trade too! umm, yay!) No one else will join, but that's OK. Luxury slider goes to 80% to cover war unhappiness, troops pour across the border!

(3) 1948AD Arabian artillery passes up the opportunity to attack our tank stacks, instead charging after a small group of infantry. More AI brilliance! :smoke: Here's the front:

(4) 1949AD OK, we will win next turn by building the spaceship. But I want ONE more turn to beat on Saladin, so I DELAY the last Thruster by swapping off it for a turn. :eek: Sulla's lost his mind! :crazyeye: Well maybe, but I want to have fun too. Sue me. ;)

By the way, Atlanta is now producing 360 culture per turn, and has stolen a dyes resource from China. Yay, we get to have it for 2 whole turns before launch!

(5) 1950AD Complete all but the last part, Atlanta swapped back onto its Thruster. Gandhi still not close to launching... First, our armies warm up by going after Najran. Our battleship bombards the defenses, then I send in the tanks:

Umm...

We lost two battles at 70% odds to win, thus NOT capturing the city. I had expected to be able to at least blitz attack the last weakened defenders, but that was not the case. Wow. I committed 5 tanks to the attack and it looks like I needed 6. OK... we'll never get our hands on Najran then. :(

How are things at Mecca?

Much better! :cool: I even detonate our Great Artist inside the city, not that that does all that much. Najran survives literally with one infantry with 2.0 health left. Bah! We could eliminate Saladin in probably 2 more turns. Anyway, time to stop screwing around and launch.

(6) 1951AD And we win! Yay! :D

We ended up third in Production at the end of the game, not too bad for a civ full of windmills and cottages! GNP was #1 - naturally. Up to #5 in soldiers too, although still far behind the big boys. Our final score is 13123, Abraham Lincoln rank.

I'll have some more post-game comments tomorrow. Thanks everyone, it was lots of fun! :goodjob:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/RB9AD-1950.Civ4SavedGame

:party: :band:

Yay!

Nice variant, Sulla. :thumbsup:
What's next in the pipeline? I've only got one SG left now, after all. :D

Thanks all for the game, it was fun.

Garath

Some thoughts on looking back at this...

I knew the opening would be rough when I selected Raging Barbs. Having seen what fully maxed out cottages can do, I wanted to have a game where we wouldn't be able to cakewalk to a win. Well, when we were playing through the first few turnsets, I was seriously worried that I had gone overboard with the challenge! :eek: Go back and look at some of the earlier pages if you can't remember what it was like. We were stuck with one city for ages, and barely managed to get to four cities before running out of room to expand. I wasn't at all sure that we would be able to pull this out in those dark days.

Garath made the winning move in this game. His decision to chase for Music and the free Great Artist was brilliant - just brilliant! :D Instead of being a tiny four-city civ, the Great Artist culture bomb got us not only a workable Atlanta (which otherwise would have been strangled by jungle and the neighboring cities) AND it won us the flip of Chengdu. Those two cities were hugely important for our civ, as ALL of those jungle tiles were cut down and replaced with cottages. Even though the culture bomb never flipped Nanjing, it did push back the city's borders and make it almost useless. All in all, a winning move for this game. Bede's poaching effort against Greece was probably the next-best move, winning us a second core of cities down in the south. They didn't add much science, but we did get a couple of resources out of it. Great job! :goodjob:

Our diplomacy in this game was very well done. Although we were tiny and weak for most of the game, we managed to ally with the big dogs and shield ourselves from aggression. When Alex and Saladin came after us, we were able to mount a credible defense and turn the other AI civs after them. At the end of the game, Alex was dead and Saladin was on his way out. Don't mess with the little guy with the big pocketbook!

While at times it might have felt like everyone was simply hitting "next turn" in this game, the sum total was a well-played effort. It might have LOOKED easy in retrospect, but a lot of things could have gone wrong with this variant. A lot of them. :mischief: Great job everyone in avoiding them. It's not easy when you have so little production to work with.

Next game for me should be Sirian's planned Always War succession game. That is, if the next patch ever comes out! ;) And Methos, I posted the save file from the last turn, you should be able to get the Replay file from downloading that and clicking "Next Turn." If that does not work, let me know.

[party]

Thanks for the fun variant ( a of things to think about and not a few scary ones) but the leadership was the key. :salute: Sulla.

:band: :clap: :woohoo: :bounce:

Good game everyone!

Sulla,

Make sure you post your next succession game early on your website, I missed this one until it was 1/4 through!

What is this patch you're all waiting on going to do? I'm curious.

Top Bottom