RBD SG6 - The Benevolent King

Well, I tried Monarch, and got the same results. Both swordsman and Jag available. I checked a city that culture flipped to me, same thing. It had one American worker, nobody else, so I don't think that affects it.
:confused:

Could the difference be whether you pop up the city view and select something from the build queue on the right side of the screen, or whether you stay zoomed out in map-view and right-click on the city to select "change production"? I noticed that both of Malishara's screens are of the latter, while both of Sirian's are of the former...

Charis: you're up here, been so for a while now. Don't let all that ice and those fishing village plans go to your head. :fish: ;)

Or are you just postponing having to confront another Persian respawn? :lol:

Gah! :eek:

Thanks for the reminder. I keep a list of games in a notepad file with turn order, but hadn't entered Benevolent yet. :smack:
(That's also why I'm starting to say "Good luck JimBob" in my posts to help remind the next guy ;p)

My bad, I'll try to sneak home for lunch to play it, else early eve.

Charis

PS Although it is true that a Persian respawn doesn't sound appealing, mainly due to threat of re-respawn!

I don't know, but would it matter if you built right ON the Iron? I believe Ironopolis was indeed built upon iron.

Just an idle thought...

"Who started the war with the Persians anyway??" roared the General. "Sir,
a check of the royal archives informs us that Charis Ben I started the war,
but did absolutely nothing to prosecute it!" "Well tell him or his son or
whoever to get his carcass over here and FINISH IT!"

Thus did start the humble reign of Charis Ben Evolent II...

110 BC (0) - Anarchy?? The country is in Anarchy... I wonder what will come
of this... Two cities get entertainers to avoid waking up in state of revolt.

90 BC (1) - "Crowned King?????? But, but, I haven't done anything!" cries
Charis Ben II. The Archer+Settler step out of the forest, and are
eaten alive by our hungry little vet jag! :hammer:

70 BC (2) - Kagoshima of Japan finishes the Colossus, the Indians and French
start the Great Library. Settler is sent North to Yellow dot persia spot
near spices, fish and horse.

50 BC (3) - We see New Madras founded near where our "Iron sitter" is, and
the French come RIGHT up to our Maginot line and found Toulouse. Iroq start
Gardens, Indians start Great Lib. Alas, the French city is at a choke and
cuts off free passage to the Persian lands. The jags up there will HAVE
to suffice! We'll back up and found our own choke city on other side of
mountains.

30 BC (4) - Indians want Monarchy for literature. They get a shiny Mayan
dollar instead.

10 BC (5) - After several rounds of cat and mouse, the archer fails on his
attack on our jag, and the Spearman runs away in fear.

10 AD (6) - The dawn of a New Millenium!! It is a pity the "blight" has lived
to see this... now begins our final assault! At the temple, the generation
of a Great Leader is prayed for. A spearman trying to run back INTO the
city and is slain (wounding one elite jag). On the city, they're down to
size 1 (bah), lose one spearman, and three injured jags.

30 AD (7) - A polite Hiawatha wants to trade Territory maps. He too gets
the shiny Mayan peso. El Dorado completes the Hanging Gardens, a wonderfully
appropraite wonder for the Benevolent Mayans. An elite jags goes against
the last Persian spearman in the city and... wins (no GL).

"We have destroyed the Fledgling Persians, Excellency" They deserved it!
:hammer: :hammer: :lol: :hammer: :hammer:

50 AD (8) - The Palace is expanded for the Mayans first Benevloent King. :love:

70 AD (9) - France wants to cancel the RoP (or have US pay through the nose
for it, so lapse it does). They're now annoyed... hmm... :confused:

90 AD (10) - El Dorado goes on FP placeholder, do what you like there.
The City of Chimichanga is founded up North on the coast. Nearby
Arbela is working on a Settler, intended for the purple dot FP location.
Ironopolis is about to finish a Settler to go N-NW and form a boundary
city over the mountains from the French.

There is an UNMOVED Settler left to go on this turn. He's unsure where
to go, thinking about the dark area to South of the blight known as
Hakodate. There may be higher priority spots, including up in Arbela's
area. May the next King be wise in deciding...

Note this was a reign of war and jockeying. Diplomacy was ignored, so
feel free to contact other leaders soon.

Thus ends the reign of Charis Ben Evolent II. Good luck (Schnaard then Jester?)

Schnarrd says he's unavailable til Sunday, so go ahead Jester.

One bit of advice: take the Monarchy for Literature deal, if you still can. If we can build the GL at Riggoro, great. If not, keep it going on placeholder and we'll try to nab SunTzu or whatever we can get. If by chance we DO get the GL (seems unlikely, since there was cascade from Colossus) we could ride no science for quite some time.

As for France... let them infringe on Mayan territory at their own peril! :) Too many affronts and we'll give them a piece of our mind.

Getting those silks north of Canopy online might be a good project to add to the docket.

Good luck Jester, then Cy (and see you guys tonight).

- Sirian

Well, that was boring. Wish I could have been out slaughtering demons. Instead, I get to practice piano and singing! Yay for me!

However, I've got the game. I'll play it out either tonight or tomorrow.

Jester

"The turn of the first century of the new millennium was marked by the rise of a diplomat to the throne, Mortimer the First, also called the Merchant, for his trade skills. His reign is famous for parlaying the social advances of the Mayan Empire into economic advantage, securing prosperity, and beginning development of a radical trade concept which would come to be known as Currency..."

Okay, I start playing. First things first, take Sirian's advice and trade the French for literature.

Only, they're so enthusiastic about monarchy that they not only give us literature, but also code of laws, 80 gold and 5 g/per turn. I also give it to the Japanese for 12 g per turn, 50 bucks and a world map. And the Zulus, for 8 pt, 70, and a world map. Hope nobody minds my bartering our HUGE tech advantage away for a measly 700 bucks, 3 turns of research, two maps and literature.

I hope they enjoy their monarchy!

:king:

My turns (8 of them, if I can count today, which is by no means certain) were pretty much dead uneventful. The deal, listed above, was the high point. Everything else was deadly dull. I produced a couple workers, switched riggoro to the great library, and founded Delicious Whale. The Japanese and English both asked for our map, and I told them where to stuff it. Nobody got pushy, which I'm somewhat disappointed with. Roads were paved, lands were irrigated... all in all a caretaker turn.

Hope yours if more eventful, Cy. Our tech is pumped, but if we really wanted to, we could be making 35 odd bucks per turn if we sacrificed our tech. It all depends on how much we want currency. I could have gotten philosophy, but... why? I also could have gotten construction, but the french have it, and we might be able to finagle/bully/steal it from them.

Jester

My turns (8 of them, if I can count today, which is by no means certain)

210 - 90 = 120. 120/20 = 6. You have taken 6 turns. :)

Cmon kid, don't make us look bad. :) Take your last two turns (if you can do so before Cy posts "got it"), then in the future, note what START DATE you begin at, what rate of time passage is taking place, and what end date to stop on. Or should we supply you with this info? :p

Nice going with the brokerage (I expect us to broker quite a bit. I normally try to be stingy if I can get ahead, but this is a low-economic scenerio, and if we're going to get ahead, it's through brokering or pure aggression. I believe.) The MAIN reason, however, why I suggested we broker Monarchy is that Iro's also have it, and if they brokered it, we'd get zippo. So grab any good deals we could while we could! Two techs, piles of gold, etc etc, sounds like we got a good deal. :)

- Sirian

Actually, I not only already have it, I have finished my turn.

Now, if the board will ever let me post the damn thing, you can get the game (I have no problem reading the posts, and posting notes like this, but ever since the crash it can take me hours and hours to get a post with a saved game posted).

--Cy

If you're still trying, and still awake, Cy, you can email it to me. I'm up next.

In AD 230 Cy_Tzeltal ascended the throne of the Mighty Mayan Empire. The Kingdom was quiet and prosperous, so he put his focus on growth. 5 cities were founded in his reign, ground was broken on two more, and plans were prepared for an 8th city.

In the Northern highlands known as Chiapas, 3 cities were founded. First, the Great City of Palenque was dedicated in the foothills of Chiapas. In this city will be built an awesome Forbidden Palace as a portal to the underworld, where future Maya kings might defeat the Lord Death and return in dreams and visions. Also founded were the cities of Yaxchilán and Uaxactun. Ground was broken for the cities of Bonampak and Copan, but they will not spring to life until the next turn. In the town of Spirit Dune, plans have been drawn up for yet one more city. The builders will be ready to depart in 5 turns to a site on the edges of the Chiapas on a great river. At this time the first two waves of building fortold by the house of Sirian will be complete in the north.

The settlements in southern lands did not proceed as smoothly. Our planners had picked out a nice green site SSE of Cystal Lake with cattle and horses, and a settlement party was on the way, when, in the second turn of my reign, the Arrogant Japanese landed a party from a ship and snatched the site from beneath us. May the futons in Fukushima be fouled with fetid fudge of an excremental nature furnished by flatulent fowl who have eaten a few too many fermented figs. My blood boiled with thoughts of war, but Venus had not yet appeared on the horizon. The day will come when we will cleanse our lands of these folk, but for now we will let them build in ignorance of their eventual doom. Unable to build in a preferred site, Tikal was founded in a blasted wasteland, nestling up to the few squares of green it can utilize like a cold person just inside sidling up to a fire. On our border with France, the town of Sentry is also founded. May it keep open the pass into France until such time as our hordes of fanatical warriors shall sweep through and doom the Pink Nation. The French are an odd folk. They are so proud of digging two outhouses in their border town, they named it for them. And they call this “culture”?

Our spices are highly valued by those who know us. In return for them we received in trade maps, silks, Construction, and Philosophy without having to reveal any of our scientific advances. Despite the fact the game engine hasn’t noticed yet, we have moved into a new age, and are researching Feudalism at a moderate pace that can be adjusted to suit the next ruling house. Oddly enough, no other civilization has yet completed a Great Library, and we are now 10 turns away from completion. IN the next turn we will discover if the House of Sirian needs to prepare to eat headgear. Oh, and speaking of spices, two of ours are not on-line south of El Dorado.

For future kings: A galley is being built on the west coast in Gossamer. We could ship a settler directly west of Gossamer and found another city to keep Persopolis company. By virtue of being backed up to the water, backed up to our cultural borders with un-pressured water squares to give culture area, and near our capitol, these cities should be unflippable once their culture grows together. I generally dislike colones at sea, but the strait is so narrow that it will be easy to shuttle things back in forth in single turns. And, even at war, unless there is a physical blockade, the transports will be invulnerable, as they will go city to city in one turn. They would give us a jump-off point in the first war with India, when we will land a strong force in that one-square bottleneck just outside Calcutta, then roll up the peninsula from Persopolis :cool:. It will have to be settled kinda quick, though, as India is really on a settling tear. Oh, and don’t ask me why I built the road one square too far south over there (if I was planting a city there, I would put it in the coastal square equidistant between the two forest coastal squares, not one more south where the road mysteriously goes to). Speaking of flipping, Sentry IS flippable, eventually. And I do mean “eventually” in the real long term, but still, it is something to consider. I put it there anyways. It is good to be king :cool:.

Good luck to future rulers.

--Cy

In the year 330AD, our Benevolent, the great king Cy-Tzeltal, was struck down by a strange sickness. His son, Siri-Tzeltal, whipped the entire palace in a froth, demanding to know the source of the illness. Our wisest alchemists concluded that the fetid jungle around our home city had gestated something evil. What, they were not quite sure, but pointed to records from ancient times when a bout of disease struck the entire capital.

"CUT IT DOWN!" said Siri.
"How much of it?" they asked.
"THE WHOLE JUNGLE. EVERY LAST FERN, TREE, AND WEED!"

So workers from all over the kingdom were recalled to Xenalia (with a few minor exceptions) and many new workers were trained at a school in New Susa, some from Gossamer and Chicken Itch, too. They have set in to chop down the jungles, and more workers yet are needed. Many, many more.

Siri-Tzeltal received a message one day. A rider from the distant northern colonies arrived. He bore a parchment that said only, "Forty-Two."

"What is this?" Siri demanded.
"The answer to a question."
"What question?" asked Siri.
The messenger scratched his head. "Uh... I have no idea, My Benevolent."
"Who asked this question?"
"Your Great Great Grandfather, Benevolent One."
"Hmm. Well it must have been important, right? No wonder those colonies are so useless. By the time we can do anything about their problems, it's too late. Well, off with you. And next time you come, bring the answer AND the question."

Now what in the cosmos does "forty-two" happen to mean??? ;)

Effort expended by Siri-Tzeltal on the northern colonies: zero. They were allowed to run their own affairs. Cy, I forgot your city names once I started, but you can rename them next time you're up if you like. I also decided to go ahead and even out the turn numbers, as waiting all the way through another cycle is going to drive us all mad. :)

Inherited Turn: RoP's with England, China, for all they would pay plus world maps. Inspected the workers, zoomed all the cities. A few worker assignments looked questionable (mining in the north? When it's all lost? Why not irrigate a little first, get them growing faster -- especially on rivers -- and mine later? Oh well, I'm not paying attention up there, just worked on a road to connect a former Persian town to the luxuries). Irrigating deserts instead of plains at Dzin was a minor weedy choice -- could have mined plains for more shields, or irrigated them for more food. A whole lot of workers doing lowish priority jobs at colonies, while just a couple workers in our heartland. I decided it was time for labor reforms on a national level.

New Susa swapped to aqueduct, then set up to crank workers every other turn from now until the space ship launch. Or... at least until we have 40+, or else some other locations to take over the worker training. We have a LOT of work to be doing, with jungles but also a ton of cities with little or no improvement. I managed a major effort in the Crystal Lake area, but everything else in the south was pulled home to Xenalia (after vital road nets, in some cases).

We've got core river cities with no irrigated grass? We got off despotism quite some time ago, our cities should be much larger even counting building so many settlers. I'd like to set as a goal to get Xenalia to size 12 by the time the game gets back to me. Grow it quickly, then later we can swap irrigated grass to mined hills and really crank something... maybe troops.

Our colonial phase is now all but over. Let the cities in the north build more settlers, but no more support for them from home unless they are invaded. (Except maybe a worker or two to connect the silk). We had not yet paused in stretching our neck, but our once-military is now in shambles, scattered widely and about to go obsolete in terms of siege warfare.

So with these two things in mind, I said fooey to infrastructure (except granaries and aqueducts, which are NEEDED for growth, please put some priority on them, and on courthouses in cities with more than 40% corruption happening). Units and more units, that is what I wanted to build. Dzin and Ironopolis are now cranking troops at a decent clip and could stand to do so for a long long time, because other cities are busy with wonders or worker training... or too corrupt to pitch in.

Oh, one more thing. Everybody borrowing tiles from Xenalia was told to take a hike. The capital is the top priority.

340AD: I decided to research Feudalism at our best rate (without large deficit). If we get the Great Library, this might be a bit of a waste, but then again... we'd be on toward SunTzu and more importantly, Pikemen. We could really stand stronger defenses.

370AD: all the old deals expired, and we dropped about 30gpt. To recover from this, I renewed RoP's with all our near neighbors except Iro's, and this will keep most of them poor and us richer. Feudalism research continues, due in just over a dozen turns. New Susa starts its continuous worker production.

380AD: settler sets sail across the bay.

390AD: JOAN PROVOKES WAR! :mad: Er... uh... hmm. Where is our army? Dangit. Um... FALSE ALARM. We have no army. Joan can do as she pleases, for the moment, and what pleases her is grabbing more land out of the middle. (India got barricaded again on my first two turns, so we've not heard anything more from them).

400AD: Joanie's bold moves continue. She has two cities now on the coast. Our settler has no choice but to head for the gems. That may seem like a sad consolation prize, but may ultimately be worth more to us than either of Joan's locations would be. Gems = big trade value, while two corrupt cities with lots of food = not much more than a boost in territory to slightly increase RoP profits.

430AD: Mayans complete Great Library in Riggoro. (Sirian eats hat. Ooh, cotton, flax and dye, tasty).

440AD: India completes the Lighthouse from cascade -- at same cost as GL??? WE BEAT THEM BY ONE TURN! Today must be my lucky day, beat the AI's on Emperor in RBD7 by just 3 turns. The cascade has ended! We are now 100% certain to get SunTzu in El Dorado, and could start a placeholder again in Riggoro after it finishes aqueduct to go for another one.

450AD: Much map brokerage. England/China too poor to pay for full world map, so they don't have it yet. Everyone else does.

My suggestions: THE GREAT LIBRARY IS OUR FRIEND! Let the AI's do our research for a while, and keep sapping them for RoP money until such time as we are in a position of strength sufficient to BE ABLE to fight a winnable war. Finish Feudalism at rapid rate, swap El Dorado to SunTzu, then drop science to zero (maybe run one scientist in a northern colony, for 40 turn breakthrough on Engineering, that's one the AI's sometimes skip if they head right for education). We need all kinds of spears, pikes, horsies, and especially workers, but don't build any more new barracks, as SunTzu is going to wipe them out anyway.

Japan has a ship near our capital, and Delicious Whale never got a troop. If Japan has the gall to attack an undefended city, they are to be eradicated from this world by the end of the game (their worst mistake). If all they want to do is found a city FOR US right next to our capital in the old purple dot spot, where it's immediately under unbearable cultural pressure, well, sure, go right ahead! :lol:

The settler near the gems, I think should be moved onto the hill where the Jag is standing. That gets the defensive bonus in a HOT location that may well see combat. BUILD WALLS. Even ahead of a temple. This location gets the gem in immediate range, and picks up some flood plain to supply food. With no hope of a road any time soon, I rushed the harbor in Persepolis to allow for the gems to start trading. We may need a harbor in Gossamer to go along with it, I'm not sure.

Please focus attention now inward, on supporting and improving our core cities. Yes, defend the frontiers and colonies, but let them slack off on infrastructure in favor of walls and defense units. Our high production cities are what we will need to crank lots of troops, just like happened in the ancient war with Persia, and it will take time and lots of focus to bring our heartland up to full speed.

Good luck, One in Ten.

- Sirian

PS: for the next 800 years, and to benefit Those Who Can't Count ;) each player's turn will conclude on a year ending in 50.

Almost bust a gut opening the save file to see about 19 workers all chop-chop-chopping down the rainforests ;p I also rather liked the hem-in of the Indians by the 3 jags.

I'm not sure if it was mostly Cy or you founding the northern colonies, but *I'm* glad to see them :p (willful suspension of disbelief at the corruption factor, I know, but someday we'll get our FP going in Pallenque) Looks like Arbela is making a settler
for the fish-game spot in upper right.

> Irrigating deserts instead of plains at Dzin was a minor weedy
> choice -- could have mined plains for more shields, or irrigated
> them for more food.

:lol: I'm not alone

> New Susa swapped to aqueduct, then set up to crank workers
> every other turn from now until the space ship launch. Or... at
> least until we have 40+, or else some other locations to take

> So with these two things in mind, I said fooey to infrastructure

Wait, wait, it's an imposter!!! (j/k... situationally appropriate, just a 180 reversal from some other recent situations)

> 430AD: Mayans complete Great Library in Riggoro.
> (Sirian eats hat. Ooh, cotton, flax and dye, tasty).
> 440AD: India completes the Lighthouse from cascade -- at
> same cost as GL??? WE BEAT THEM BY ONE TURN! Today must
> be my lucky day, beat the AI's on Emperor in RBD7 by just 3 turns

:hammer: woot again!

> The settler near the gems, I think should be moved onto the
> hill where the Jag is standing. That gets the defensive bonus

I urge you to think long term ;p j/k I imagine you're expecting
combat there. Maybe I just haven't seen Joan that aggressive, but the river location right where he is standing, the gems in city radius, AND possibility to steal cattle if culturally strong, I'm thinking stay put. I'm also thinking get a third city there ASAP on or near the iron. Perseopolis is our "prize" up there.

The diplo screen, wow everyone is so smiley. Advisor says Joan is our equal, military same size, *has no iron*, and her best offensive unit is the horsemen. And we disdain their puny cultural achievements. We have an RoP of 13 turns meaning no hassles before then. Also she has gems out the wazoo back home in Orleans. It's Monarch diff -- am I way too trusting or are you way too paranoid. It'll be fun to see :rolleyes:

Even turns... good thing.

Charis

Joan's not the only player in the region. If the AI is going to go ape over a target and decide to launch secret attack, it's almost always over a too-lightly defended resource city. Also, I'm not keen on spending 116 gold to rush the temple to get the gems in range. I much prefer the idea of them being just one tile from the city, and STOP spending cash on highly risky colonies that could be set up to fend for themselves. All this for a cattle? :)

I'm glad the north was settled, too. All that area under our control increases RoP profits, if nothing else. I'm not criticizing the settlements, far from it. But if cash and other valuables continue to be funnelled away from core cities and treasury reserves, to benefit colonies, I think it weakens us. Now I spent to rush a harbor, to bring a gem online, and one temple, to get a silk within our borders. That was for resources that can bring some return. Cattle, wheat and population in far flung colonies without any such precious resources are much less valuable to our civ as a whole.

Glad you liked the humor regarding the workers. :)

- Sirian

Wow, we got the GL?! :eek: If I remember correctly, that was just a placeholder for some miscellaneous wonder. :crazyeyes That's going to help immensely until education with us being stuck in monarchy.

Anyway, I'm back, in case you haven't already seen the builder thread.

Top Bottom