1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RBD - Succession Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Grey Fox, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Post what you think about these, and suggest your own ideas!

2. Schnarrd

Schnarrd Panderer of Bad Jokes

Well, might as well repost this here. :) Sorry about cluttering up the other thread.

3. Charis

Charis Realms Beyond

So much for efforts to avoid thread spam :p

> Gasp I've been hijacked!!
    Oh wait a minute, I hijacked Sirian's thread??!

:rolleyes:

The Faux Pas are just a' freel flowing! :hammer:

Charis

PS Just to hit all rbd games at once... I go out of town briefly
    tomorrow eve. So tonight I'll finish rbd6 turn (already started), and hopefully rbd7. I think that's all I'm up in. Zed or others feel free to swap or skip me Friday night and Saturday. If 5CC starts, put me in, just not first. After some feedback here, I'll likely start off (or assign starter) for another game. Or two games if Army isn't one picked :p

4. Iester

Iester Entirely Without Humour

All those sound interesting. Some of them sound like games already in existence, just a little more extreme. I could swear I've played a couple games where I never actually researched anything...

The one that REALLY appeals to me is the 5 city challenge. It has everything going for it. It's challenging. It's simple to manage, since all you need to do is micro 5 cities. It's not boring, nobody will be spending turn after turn building railroads. It focuses on building skills, but also has the potential for some very bloody home turf wars. Or even going barbarian, invading somebody, and just razing a civ to the ground. Cultural victory, diplomatic victory, space race victory... it's all good.

But I'd join anything.

Jester

5. xrang the II

xrang the II Chancellor

:cool: i'll play ne thing, if u need me call me, i'll be there:nono: :cringe: :whipped: :mwaha:

6. Warstrike

Warstrike Chieftain

I would really like to get involved in the RBD games. I have been lurking for quite a while, but haven't been able to play due to problems with the home computer's modem. :mad: I'm fixing that for good this weekend though. :hammer:

I'd love to play in Opium Lords :smoke: , Cretins :confused:, or Capitolists :king: type games. I've played up to monarch level solo, although my total number of games has been small. Hope to join soon.

7. Carbon_Copy

Carbon_Copy Elemental

This one popped into my mind a while back while I was managing our massive worker army in RBD 3. One of the reasons why the Americans in RBD 3 are so dominant is because we've got a whole LOT of workers and we developed our tiles MUCH faster than the AI (to the point where the AI's difficulty bonuses are negated because their tiles aren't as good as the player's). I've not worked out the details, but the basic idea involves making lots of workers and selling them to the AI civs, with the victory conditions enabled being Domination, Conquest, and Space (the former two for the AI's sake), the object would be a space victory despite selling most of your labor pool to your rivals.

I'm imagining the player being Greece or Rome (since I've never played as either yet in Civ3), versus all the Industrious civs and one or two Scientific civs on a standard Pangea or Continents map.

8. Carbon_Copy

Carbon_Copy Elemental

Nothing to see in this post. :sleep:

9. Carbon_Copy

Carbon_Copy Elemental

This is just a quickie vanity/novelty project, but I thought some folks in the audience who don't frequent the RBD Network54 forum might enjoy this. I toyed around with civ3edit today and created an RBD mod.

Civ Name: RBDers (name of the country: Realms Beyond). Replaces Aztecs

Civ Attributes: Religious/Commercial. Why? (Edit: Whoops! I forgot to include India when I drew up the table I used to figure this out. Hmm...I'm not sure what a good representative set of traits for RBD *would* be, so I'll just keep it like it is)

Leader title: Scum (We love the Scum Day!)
    Leader Name: King of Pain

Unique Unit: Beyond Naked Mage (see footnote). Replaces Knight. Attack of 5, but defense of 1. 2 movement. Requires no resources. Graphics of the Jaguar warrior.

City names: Diablo/Diablo II locales (the "D" in RBD stands for "Diablo", after all), names of some Diablo variant/strategy sites.

Preferred/Shunned gov'ts: Monarchy/Despotism

Leader names: RBDers, Diablo variant players, some variant characters. Very incomplete list compared to what it should be, but it's plenty long that you'd never go through all of them even if you had wall-to-wall-to-wall war.

Other changes:

I undid some 1.17 changes I didn't like. Draft/whip penalty is back at 20, Oil and Aluminum show up on plains again, no strategic resource disappears.

There are no new civilopedia entries. Any entries point to the corresponding Aztec entry.

About the Beyond Naked Mage:

The Beyond Naked Mage (BNM for short) was one of the first "variant" playstyles for Diablo. Basically, the mage character class for the original Diablo was way overpowered. So a player by the handle of Woody decided to make a mage character that not only would shun items that augment his character's stats, his mage wore nothing but cursed items...and could still beat the game. Since the stats of a character wearing nothing but cursed gear are far worse than the stats of a character without any equipment on at all (i.e. "naked"), the playstyle was called a Beyond Naked Mage.

To make the Beyond Naked Mage work, copy the /Art/units/Jaguar Warrior folder, and name the copy "Beyond Naked Mage". Then, go into the new folder and rename "Jaguar Warrior.ini" to "Beyond Naked Mage.ini". It should work after that. If you don't do this, you'll crash the game if you try to build a BNM.

10. Carbon_Copy

Carbon_Copy Elemental

didn't attach the .bic file

:sheep:

11. Sirian

Sirian Civ Map Programmer

The Indians are commercial and religious. We played them in the very first RBD SG. There are fifteen combination pairs of the six traits possible, so one pair is duplicated (but even then, the two civs don't start with the same militaristic techs).

Some more variant ideas:

:yinyang: Environmentalists: Our civ refuses to make ANY use of fossil fuels. No coal or oil shall ever be connected to our trade network. (Pillage the squares when they turn up at the applicable times. If one turns up under a city, someone would be designated to go into the editor and move it to another square nearby, which could be pillaged.) Lack of coal/oil takes the following things off the table: Railroads, Coal Plants, all modern ships starting with Ironclads (AEGIS Cruisers available, heh, if the game lasted that long), all planes, all motorized units, and any trade involving these resources. Our civ would also be forbidden to build nuclear plants or to use nuclear weapons. All victory conditions on the table except for diplomatic. Large Pangaea map. We would probably play this one as the Egyptians, or perhaps a custom civ.

:D Communicators: Our civ places the highest priority on communication technology. We are required to beeline our own research at the fastest possible rate straight to the communication technologies in each era: Philosophy (in the ancient era), Printing Press THEN Free Artistry (in middle ages), Radio (industrial age), then Sattelites (modern age). ALL victory conditions on the table, but WE must win through diplomacy.

We are allowed to trade techs with other civs, but may not make any side trips in our own research until our Priority techs in each era have been researched. We must buy Communications with other races at the earliest opportunity (as soon as we can afford it) and must also sell Communications at the earliest opportunity. We are also obligated to trade maps with each known civ at least once on each player's turn. Having to win through diplomacy, yet not being able to research Fission until Sattelites have been learned, would really put the pressure on in the modern era. We would play this one as the Russians. Continents map, standard size.

- Sirian

12. Jaffa Tamarin

Jaffa Tamarin Monkey Cult

:satan: The Evil Empire. Fomenting wars and betraying your allies. No RoP agreement can go unpunished. Heavy use of espionage to steal technology and disrupt production. Probably stay in despotism and whip-whip-whip all game.

:nono: Not In My Backyard. Resources are dirty and we, the superior people, will not live in a contaminated city. All strategic resources must be obtained from trading or colonies. No cities to be founded with a resource known to be in radius -- if one shows up later, it must remain unconnected and unused. If a resource shows up under a city, that city is contaminated beyond any hope of recovery, and must be abandoned or given away.

13. Jaffa Tamarin

Jaffa Tamarin Monkey Cult

:sleep: The Lazy People. Idea prompted by progress in RBD9. An expansionist Civ that can't be bothered to build its own cities -- no settlers to be produced, ever, all cities come from free settlers or conquest.

14. Grey Fox

And produce no workers at all, only captured workers will work... the others are to lazy to even push the slaves to work full capacity (that's why they work 50%)

15. Sirian

There seemed to be a lot of interest in the 5CC game. RBD9 was full before it even hit the forum, so there was no application process. If others are interested, I'd be willing to host (and play in) a second 5CC game, with up to six players. Apply here, and if there's enough momentum, we'll get it started as RBD10. :)

- Sirian

16. Grey Fox

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 5CC game???

I'm interested but I don't know what it is...

17. Sirian

Five City Challenge. We build five cities total, stop there, never found or capture any others, nor accept any cities that want to flip to us.

A less intense but more busy variant than the One City Challenge. :)

18. Grey Fox

Yea, those are fun... I played a 10 city challange with my freind.

We played the same map, and we could only build or capture ten cities. But we could keep those that we got by culture.

And that was my first Diplo Win...

Anyway, I'm really interested in playing a 5CC game.

19. Schnarrd

Schnarrd Panderer of Bad Jokes

Sure, I'd play a 5CC game. I've been wanting to join (or start) another succession game now that RBD 3 is winding down.

20. Zed-F

Zed-F Chieftain

Out of curiosity, are people in the other 5CC allowed? If so, I'll join. :)