RBE6 - The Naked Vikings

Uh, it looks like it was a good idea to keep India alive, as we got no fewer than THREE techs from his pathetic OCC behind. How did he manage to get Scientific Method? :confused: :lol:

Nice work T-Hawk, it looks like we will be able to kick into research mode soon and go flying past those warmongering AI civs. :)

Reading about our progress brought a big ol' smile to my face. :D

The "T" in T-hawk must stand for "trader!" :goodjob:

"Thunder", actually, but close enough. :) (And it ain't the Street Fighter character; I had the name long before. :yeah: )

We won't go flying by them all just yet; ToE will put us no better than one tech ahead, and maybe not even that. I checked how long it would take to research Sci Meth ourselves; it would've been 16 turns, and even a cheap tech like Sanitation would be at least 10. We need hospitals, commercial docks, libraries, universities, and time for our cities to grow past 12 before we can start researching. It'll happen, but probably not till the modern age.

Thanks for the nice setup T-hawk! :) It's really nice to have an easy set of turns with no problems...

0 - Not much. IBT, we complete the TOE, taking Atomic Theory and Electronics as our bonuse techs. Scroll ahead to Aarhus to swap to Hoover. After rearranging the tiles, Hoover is due in 6 turns...

1 - Change entertainer in Christiania to a scientist (we are still at +6 fpt) to begin researching Radio. Atomic Theory to England for Communism, 310 gpt, and 712 gold. Atomic Theory to the Ottomans for Steel and 1325 gold. I don't bother trading it to Carthage as it would only get us 24 gpt and Ivory. I guess I should have first traded with Carthage (for Steel, Communism, 24 gpt and Ivory), as both England and the Ottomans have Combustion. I could trade Electronics with them this turn (the Ottomans are offering Combustion, 94 gpt, and 1275 gold), but I decide to hold off until someone else (hopefully Carthage) gets it. IBT the Celts and India sign a peace treaty. I accept a peace treaty with India straight up since we have a couple of ongoing deals with them (they are paying us, probably for techs), and even though our rep is stained, I don't know if declaring on them at this point would increase our rep stain. We complete Wall Street in Copenhagen.

2 - Not much. I decide to rush an aqueduct in Rusguniae (392 gold) so that it can grow... IBT, England and the Mongols sign a peace treaty.

3 - Not much. IBT, nothing.

4 - Not much. IBT, nothing.

5 - Not much. No advances techwise, so I swap several of our cities from cathedrals to libraries. IBT, we complete the Hoover Dam.

6 - With almost 7000 gold in the bank, I rush a marketplace in Rusguniae (376 gold). IBT, we complete the Intelligence Agency.

7 - I give Brennus Communism for 78 gpt.

8 - Rush a granary in Rusguniae. Carthage got Combustion, so we trade them Atomic theory for Combustion and 19 gpt.

9 - The Ottomans and England researched Mass Production and Flight and then traded them this turn. We can easily get both of them (and a fair bit of gold) for Electronics, but I think we can still get more... I'll leave that for the next leader to decide.

10 - Not much. We can get 95 gpt and 290 gold from India for Atomic theory. The next leader can decide. We can also trade Electronics to the English and Ottomans for Flight and Mass Production. The Ottomans have more money (and gpt available), but I think England is currently researching Electronics as she wants Electronics and over 5000 gold for both Flight and Mass Prod. The Ottomans will give both techs for Electronics and 400 gold. Hold off on the tech purchase until England has just about discovered the tech and then trade it to the Ottomans (who are hopefully researching Sanitation...). The Ottomans have over 300 gpt income, while the English only have around 75 gpt.

Here's the file... http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/RRE6Naked1350AD.zip

[EDIT: sorry about the filename typo (RRE instead of RBE)]

reagan <<< on deck
Sullla
T-Hawk
JMB
JaxomCA <<< UP NOW

JMB

Preturn: A diplomacy check reveals that England is buying saltpeter from us at 28 GPT so I cancel the deal for now. Temujin finally reached the Middle Ages and would pay us 2 GPT for feudalism but that is peanuts and I pass on the deal. The Zulu agrees to pay 34 GPT for Communism and I take that deal. Ottoman wants 350 golds with Electronics for both Flight and Mass Production. Our peace treaty is about to expire so I renegociate peace and guess what? They pay us 1200 golds as well as their 2 techs to get Electronics and maintain peace so I take the deal. England would pay 104 GPT for Electronics, 105 being too much for them, so I sell them back the saltpeter for 28 GPT and hope they don't have enough to buy it from the Ottoman.

An airport is rushed in Carthago Novo while Bodo and Copenhagen are switch to airports. I don't plan on building more but we need a way to adequately protect our only source of rubber.

1. 1355 AD England bought Electronics, oh well.
  2. 1360 AD ...
  3. 1365 AD We now have a spy in Ottoman's palace. Universities are completed in the core, commercial docks begins where available.
  4. 1370 AD India is still alive and only at war with the Mongol so I sell them steel for 79 GPT and 400 golds, where does he get the money from?

IT: Carthage request Mass Production, I refuse and war follows. Ottoman declare war on the English and Elizabeth asks us to help her against the Celts, which I refuse. Our shores are bombarded and the Carthaginian troops on our Island make a run for Kolhapur.
  5. 1375 AD It is a good thing I had upgraded the cannons before. Our artillery redlines all Carthage troops and many ironclads. Some destroyer are ordered to clean up our national waters. 3 of our cities were all done with buildings so they are set on military production. A few infantries are drafted in food rich cities, they are sent to cover our resources. Some cavalries and infantries are shipped to Lol in order to remove the ugly city of Malaca.

IT: 4 Carthage cavalries land near Carthago Novo, 4 guerrillas land near Christiana.
  6. 1380 AD Malaca is no more, burned to the ground by some naked infantry. We loose 2 cavalries taking out the 4 brown cavalries. We take no loss removing the 4 redlined guerrillas, no luck leader fishing. A couple of airports are added so that we can build vet bombers while we still have oil. The cities with airport already do switch to bombers.

IT: Ottoman and Celts enter a MPP. Carthage is moving a lot of boats off our shores, this is creating a huge pollution problem :)
  7. 1385 AD Ottoman now have motorized transportation. We have 3 turns left on the oil deal, having this tech before the deal expires would be sweet. Our naked spy in Ottoman's palace is invited into the first lady private quarters. He comes out with a huge grin on his face and the plans to build tanks in a certain body cavity. We bombard many ironclads and sink one. A couple of barracks are rushed on our main island so that everybody gets to build tanks on our last turn of free oil.

IT: Carthage land a single cavalry near Stockholm. Our troops fight over who gets to kill him.
  8. 1390 AD More bombing of ironclads and 3 more are sunk. We get sanitation from the Celts for Atomic Theory but all cities are busy taking advantage of the last 2 turns of free oil, so no hospitals are ordered. A spy is inserted in London to take advantage of our nakedness. Another spy is caught by Hannibal and he is returned to us with some missing body parts.
  9. 1395 AD More ironclads bombed and sent to the bottom, we will have a rich coral shore :) Hannibal is willing to talk but I will leave the peace negotiation to the next leader.

IT: One of our destroyer wandered near the coast of Carthage, he sinks 3 ironclads before being destroyed.
  10. 1400 AD A transport and a galleon are sunk, nothing else is moved so the next leader can best decide what to do from here. A spy is successfully inserted in Carthage.

Be careful about the build orders, we have no more oil and cannot build any of the units currently under construction. Osman wants 5k golds to ship some oil our way, I don't think it is worth paying for it. We will have 5 bombers, 1 fighter, 13 tanks, 7 destroyers, 2 battleships and 1 carrier once the current orders are completed, that should be enough to see us through the end of the game. Carthage has no oil but is getting some from either the Zulu or the Celt. The Zulu have signed an embargo with Carthage against us.

The settler coming out in Carthago Novo is intended to make a city on the wheat where we have an infantry and an artillery. This city is only to cover our island culturally.

Here is the save at the end of 1400 AD.

England would pay 104 GPT for Electronics, 105 being too much for them, so I sell them back the saltpeter for 28 GPT and hope they don't have enough to buy it from the Ottoman.

100+gpt for an old tech is worth taking. At this level, there's no such thing as hoping the AI can't acquire the tech from another civ. They discount the snot out of it to each other and can, as Gandhi's done, pull money out of their @$$. I'm not picking on you, but that's a lost 76gpt that could have been put towards a tech steal or other fun stuff.

Got it, by the way. I should be able to play/post tomorrow night. And I thought I might get to play at least one turn without a war . . . .

75 gpt is pennies at this point of the game. For a while we were making 1400 gpt, so waiting a turn to sell to England in case I got a better deal is not going to hurt us that much. As it turns out, England got electronics almost for free since Osman declared war on them a few turns later.

You can play a turn without war. Hannibal is willing to talk and there is not much point in staying at war since he has no oil we can capture.

Our income increased by a factor of ten over the past two rounds (see T-hawk's 133gpt screenie at the top of the page)? Sweet! Still, 75gptx20=1500gp that could have been put to use. Gold runs many, many aspects of this game and I like to have access to it as much as possible, even if it seems like a trivial amount. Also, as I'm sure you've experienced, once you get second-tier civs hooked on gpt payments, you often can keep them there. When the deal expires, they will frequently have the freed-up cash to buy another tech from you. When you let another AI civ get that streak going, it's tough to pry them loose (Osman's foolishness in this case notwithstanding). So, passing on 75gpt once has the potential to operate as if you passed on 75gpt (or more) multiple times.

There's no inflection on message boards, so I want to confirm that I'm not picking on you, just offering a different point of view. :)

Our income increased by a factor of 2, T-hawks screenshot doesn't show that we were paying about 650 gpt to various civs. The 1400 includes receiving around 600 gpt from various civs.

I understand your point of view, I am also offering a different perspective. In my games, I rarely trade Electronics away since Atomic Theory is all I need to catch up on all missing techs. If I can afford to buy the techs without trading AE, then even better. I keep both, research Radio first, and use that one to pickup all the available cash just before entering Modern Times, if I feel I need more cash to finish the game. In this game, we have all we need to launch a space ship first, unless everybody starts making war on us.

In any case, what is done is done, I was hoping England would come up with Sanitation soon and I really didn't think that 75gpt was enough to buy electronics at 3rd civ price, even for a deity AI. Some gambles succeed but this one failed, oh well better luck next time :)

Speaker Ragnar of the Viking Republic, founder of the Viking civilization and shunner of clothing, surveyed his country’s position. He set as a goal the championing of a great literacy and health improvement project in his fair country. In order to do so to the best effect, he took the following actions.

(0) 1400 – Bombed Saldae and killed a citizen and destroyed their lie-berry (our literacy program is in its infancy). Shelled a Carthaginian ironclad to redline status. Moved some workers and artillery to the western side of the continent. Begin moving our transport around from New Oslo to the Carthage side of Scandinavia. MM tiles so Bodo’s taxman can be more productive. Why do we have so many conscript troops? Many of our cities still have unhappy citizens from the draft.

(1) 1405 - Any city without a library/university gets one. All others get a hospital. After that, they’ll get wealth enhancing buildings. Strafe Saldae again, destroying their coastal fortress. Killed an ironclad and redlined two more. Made peace with Carthage. Sold MotorTrans to England for 484gp+177gpt.

(2) 1410 – SciMeth to Zulu for 28gp+7gpt.

(3) 1415 – Mongols declared war on England. That they are still alive is testament to how poorly the AI manages overseas invasions. Fauske settled, begins library. Teach Temujin Chivalry for 186gp.

(4) 1420 – zzz

(5) 1425 – England and Celts make peace. Brennus demands Combustion and I tell him to stick it. He foolishly declares war. Leader fishing has no luck. Aarhus is now at 90+ shields and can crank an infantry each turn. When the time comes, we can add some workers and it’ll be an insane production machine.

(6) 1430 – India and Englad ally against the Ottomans. England then immediately makes peace with Osman. :lol: Combustion to India for all of his newly found cash – 367gp+68gpt.

(7) 1435 – Celts and Ottomans ally against India. Draft unhappiness requires a bump to 10% lux tax. As a result, hazing complaints by the conscript soldiers increase dramatically.

(8) 1440 – Build Battlefield Medicine? Perhaps we should . . . NOT (unless/until we decide to fight overseas)!

(9) 1445 – zzz

(10) 1450 – Sunk a Celt ironclad.

We have deals with Osman and Lizzie up for renegotiation. As our cities complete their infrastructure, building more artillery would be helpful. The tech pace is slowing down, apparently. We’ve had a lot to do with that through our economic gassing of the AIs by trading away our tech lead. Unfortunately, we don’t have the juice to research much faster than at min. pace. Building libraries/universities helped a bit, but not a huge amount. Won’t taking out the Mongols and/or Indians speed things up a bit? If we decide to go after the Mongrels, then we should acquire oil from Osman and start cranking tanks. Something to think about . . . .

Good luck next turn, Sullla.

Everything looks pretty smooth from that picture, we are in great position to emerge with a victory here.

Originally posted by reagan
The tech pace is slowing down, apparently. We’ve had a lot to do with that through our economic gassing of the AIs by trading away our tech lead. Unfortunately, we don’t have the juice to research much faster than at min. pace. Building libraries/universities helped a bit, but not a huge amount. Won’t taking out the Mongols and/or Indians speed things up a bit?

No, there is certainly no need to go attacking any of the AI civs. Invading another island protected by radio towers, civil defenses, and all of the forces that they can throw at us would not be a pretty picture. We would need at least 100 units to have a good chance of establishing a beachhead; fighting would be more trouble that it's worth. Mongolia is too far away to be of any real benefit to us; better to leave them there for the other civs to waste their resources attacking.

We aren't researching that fast because our cities are still small in size - none of them are over size 13! Once they start maxing out in size, our reasearch capabilities will greatly increase. I will probably be irrigating a lot of tiles to increase our population more quickly. Should have the game back sometime late tonight.

No, there is certainly no need to go attacking any of the AI civs. Invading another island protected by radio towers, civil defenses, and all of the forces that they can throw at us would not be a pretty picture. We would need at least 100 units to have a good chance of establishing a beachhead; fighting would be more trouble that it's worth. Mongolia is too far away to be of any real benefit to us; better to leave them there for the other civs to waste their resources attacking.

We just traded Mongolia Chivalry and the Indians are squatting on the northeast corner of our homeland. We could be rid of both within thirty or forty turns if we built some more cavs, artillery, infantry, and transport ships. We would not need a ton of troops to establish a beachhead in Mongolia and their cities would fall quickly once we started attacking with cavs vs. pikes/muskets. I'm truly a builder at heart, but I can see the elimination of the two civs helping speed our research sufficiently that it would be a beneficial move.

If we're going to be the lead researchers, eliminating other civs doesn't change the research cost.

Only if we are in second place - researching a tech that someone else has but that we can't buy at monopoly price - does it make any sense to eliminate civs to lower our tech costs.

And it isn't that much anyway. The difference in tech costs between 1/7 of the civs having a tech as opposed to 1/5 is very little.

India's probably worthwhile to eliminate whenever we don't have an ongoing deal with them, just to grab that city's worth of land and eliminate the small flip chance in the other few cities. Mongolia is absolutely not worth attacking; we'll spend far more resources attacking them than any marginal decrease in tech costs would gain us.

Remember we are on Deity, where the tech costs are high. Once we get the populations up for the cities to work all the water tiles, and get the Commercial Docks build, research will speed up a bit.

(0) 1450AD I'm somewhat confused as to how our civ is configured. reagan was gearing us up for all out war, with most cities on break-even food + high shields and a number of cities building tanks rather than things like libraries. It's not bad planning, but we have nothing to gain from attacking our nearby civs, except for India of course. We already have more than enough forces to kill Gandhi, for that matter. So here comes the massive veto stamp, designed to turn us into a research powerhouse...

Wake our fortified workers and put them to, umm, work. Lots of tiles get irrigated to increase growth. Aarhus is stuck at size 13? That's not what we want! It grabs some nearby tiles and gets irrigated to grow. Even with every worker put to the task, we are nowhere close to the job needed; I get three of our cities upgraded up to snuff, the rest still need attention. Farsund switched from tank to Library. Karasjok is sitting at size 12, unable to grow? Hospital rushed (we have 25,000g!) Courthouse rushed in Lahore. Kohlapur gets a hospital. Copenhagen still needs a granary (I guess we always skipped it!) New Oslo needs a lot of stuff - hospital is rushed first so it can keep growing. Christiania gets a library. I make more switches, but don't want this to run too long. We were missing a lot of needed courthouses, for some reason. I trade Hannibal Motorized Transportation for Amphibious Warfare; on this map, we may potentially want to build marines. We're researching Radio at the minimum rate, not much I can do to change that at this point. Let's see how good we can be at researching by the time I finish this turn.

(1) 1455AD An insane amount of stuff completes due to my heavy spending, and I keep right on doing so. There's just too many things to build right now, and if we have a huge cash surplus, I'm going to put it to use. Celts sign Mongols to a trade embargo against us; oh yeah, we are at war with Brennus. That's not exactly a threat. Hmm, why is our FP city the one running the scientist? Shouldn't we be using a corrupt one for that? For you lurkers out there, here's what it means to reconfigure cities with workers: Aarhus was on max shields before, running 95 shields/turn and not growing at all. After reconfiguring it with irrigating, Aarhus now is getting 40 shields/turn and running +20 food. That's customization! :D

(2) 1460AD Tons more stuff built, we are down to "only" 18,500g. We are making 1300gpt but I'm spending closer to 3500gpt right now. Lots of fun moving workers around. At least with changing so many tiles around our world map is worth lots of cash!

(3) 1465AD I sink a few Celtic ironclads, just waiting for Brennus to talk. After 4 worker turns, I manages to irrigate our whole continent to my content. Now, in another few turns I will have to start mining it over again. Good thing no one else has hit Modern Age yet. F3 reveals a good reason why: England and Ottomans are in Communism (Carthage is a democracy though, so look for the next breakthrough to come from them).

(4) 1470AD Brennus lands some obsolete units in our territory (and yes, I let him do so). As some would say, it's clobberin' time! We sink 3 ironclads, kill a rifle, musket, and 6 other ancient age units. (Why don't the AI civs upgrade more?) A regular archer though does kill our elite MDI, in a truly bizzare strand of RNG luck. I do promote two tanks to elite status though using their blitz ability. Healfdene Bloodaxe wins a battle as well, but does not promote to elite. :( (Note: try to produce another leader with Healfdene if at all possible. He's already produced two leaders, and it would be incredible if he popped a third one as a guerrila!) Now we can sign peace with Brennus, getting 60g in the deal. Don't mess with us again! Bergen is the first city to max out in population at size 14 (small because it has to give Aarhus a lot of its tiles) and it gets mined back to high shields. Stavanger and Christiana also max out at size 12 due to the "Aarhus" effect. Liz has Radio this turn; since we will get it for free in 7 more turns, I'll pass on buying it. Another side effect of our massive growth rate is to be #1 in family size on the F11 screen (5 children!) End of war "happiness" means I have to increase luxuries up to 20%.

(5) 1475AD Ottomans land two tanks next to India's last city. Will Gandhi survive another turn? Ottomans, English, and Carthage are all in Modern age now. They all want 7000g for Radio which we will get for free in 6 turns; no deal. I'm going to shoulder T-Hawk with the responsibility for catching us up in tech on his turn, as it simply would not be worth it to end the min science research right now. Aarhus starts a prebuild right now for a wonder, just in case the AI civs beeline to Fusion.

(6) 1480AD The Ottoman tanks attack, and:

Farewell Gandhi; you were a worthy foe, but never a true match for the Naked Vikings! Stockholm maxes out at size 15, though since it has those wheats it will still keep growing even at max shields. Copenhagen maxes out at size 16. A lot of our core cities will be stuck at a fairly small size due to the way they are packed in there.

(7) 1485AD Carthage sneak attacks England! Could get interesting. Pretty slow turn otherwise, just mining the tiles of cities which have finished their growth.

(8) 1490AD Not much, just watching some nice naval battles between England and Carthage. Reykjavik maxes out at size 17 this turn.

(9) 1495AD More cool naval battles that we can see. Bodo reaches its full size at 16.

(10) 1500AD Quiet last turn. I've got a lot of notes on how to proceed though...

I've left T-Hawk just under 14,000g and us making +1257gpt. We will discover Radio next turn and enter the Modern Age; where to proceed from there will depend on which civs have which techs. Obviously we want to get the UN and then race for the spaceship as much as possible. Aarhus has a prebuild going at the moment; it probably is a premature one, but I wanted to have one in place just in case. Aarhus will hit size 18 next turn and then should have its tiles mined to break-even food; it should hit about 130 shields/turn after this is done. :D I've left about 10 workers fortified next to Aarhus to do anything I might have missed this turn. Our military is similarly stacked next to coal mountain in the heart of our homeland.

Many cities are on artillery right now for lack of anything else to build; if we are short on money, they could go to wealth (though I don't like that option much). Obviously if we can trade an outdated tech for some oil, it would benefit us greatly and let us get an airforce going again. We should be able to research at a reasonable rate now, as I poured a ton of money into developing our civ. Trading will be the key for the next round. I certainly had fun reconfiguring our civ, and I want to THANK reagan and others for not getting rid of our workers once the continent was railed. They were all needed, and then some. Good luck on the next turn!

RBE6 1500AD

With the defiant nationalist going down in flames (yet proud, defiant flames), you guys are our last hope! :eek:
Although... you've more than got it under control, you're kickin' some booty! :hammer:

Good luck and finish strong!
Charis

Here's some more pics, first of our now somewhat larger cities:

And now here are the F11 statistics from before and after my turn:

Our population has gone up tremendously, and our GNP (the total commerce we are generating) has gone up likewise. The Manufactured Goods (total shields) has actually gone down due to some of the remaining irrigation, but it will quickly return to the previous level as the last tiles are re-mined. Literacy is way up though, and productivity - the overall measure of you civ's production - climbed every single one of my turns. Not too shabby considering I had only 10 turns to work with! :lol: This last turn shows the ultimate power of manually controlling workers versus automating them; there's no way the kind of configuration I did would have been possible with automation. You've got to love the little guys - always control them yourself if you can manage it! :king:

EDIT: Charis, the fate of your games was sad indeed, but at least both the Defiant Nationalists and the "Insane" Warmongering Koreans went out in heroic blazes of glory. And while our game wasn't exactly easy :mischief:, we weren't playing under restrictions nearly as difficult as yours. Still, it looks like the Naked Vikings will "lose" the competition of most insane succession game by posting the only win of the bunch. You can't say that Gandhi didn't try to make it interesting though. :)

I vote to take a victory however we can get it. Whether we can get a diplo victory is another story entirely. I'm disinclined to even allow a vote unless we can get ourselves really well set-up for the vote ahead of time.

Top Bottom