RBE6 - The Naked Vikings

The forty turns at max rate is an illusion. At the early stage, adding a couple of beakers is enough to go from 40 to 20. At min rate, it will take 40 turns for sure. At max rate, it would take between 15 and 25 turns, depending on how fast we settle cities. Anyway, what is done is done. This will be a tough game folks.

Let's not forget about the red dot city from our initial map. We are going to need military units soon because it is a question of when, not if, India will come for us. They have approximately three city sites left on their side of the landbridges. Those will likely be filled in a few turns, given the rate they are churning out settlers. They'll likely turn on us soon afterwards. Red dot has two game tiles within its initial 9-tile radius, IIRC. It should be almost completely uncorrupted and able to spit out a warrior every few turns. Just a thought . . . .

On a brighter note, just think of what sort of power we'll be able to project on the rest of the world if/when we boot India from our homeland!

Well, RBP4 took longer than I expected, and I don't want to play this one in anything less than peak form. I can get to it sometime tomorrow (Wednesday).

We can still discuss the placement of the choke city. I notice that at the river bend, as Sulla suggested, does not block much of anything. Units can walk diagonally due-west past the two lake squares. In fact, any position of the choke city more than two tiles away from Karachi will take the city plus three scouts to seal off.

The river bend is still a great site; it just doesn't do the whole job. So do we try and seal off the area with that city plus three scouts, or get a second city up here, or what?

At this point, I would take the bend city and make 2 other cities close to the capitol. Then the bend city produces workers while the 3 other go all military. Gandhi is out of room already so he will force his way past the choke anyway.

Be sure to send one scout to Bangalore. There is a bit of land across the water and if somebody else shows up there, we want the contact at the same time as Gandhi.

<end lurking>
I have very little experience on deity (translation: I have never played above Monarch), but with your situation, I would suggest building up a core close to Trondheim first (which is building on what reagan suggested) and holding the choke with units until you are ready for war or Gandhi comes in, totally against his RL style, and busts Viking ass. Rather ironic, the second situation. Reminds me of the Celebrity Deathmatch episode where Gandhi and Atilla the Hun were brought back from the past to fight, but their temperaments were switched. That was hilarious...

On the inherited turn, an Indian warrior appears out of our fog to the north. We can't go after him just yet, of course...

Regarding scout at Bangalore: The city is occupying the only land square that's within 2 squares of the other island. There's no other square that our scout could sit on to look for contact, so that plan won't work.

Bergen founds in 2030 BC at the river bend, same turn as Trondheim builds the next settler. Where should he go? Original red dot is a good site, but I think the cattle area is a more immediate priority (cattle being the single best tile in the game); the city will also have two bonus grasslands. Red dot should be next, I think.

Copenhagen is founded at the cattle in 1950 BC.

The Mongols complete the Colossus in 1830 BC. India had started it a few turns ago, and had no cascade.

I think our next city should be red dot. I left the worker active on the inherited turn; it's on the square that needs to be irrigated to bring irrigation home. Copenhagen doesn't need it much, but it'll make a WORLD of difference for Trondheim. The road over there looks a little weird; the Indian warrior was getting in the way.

LET COPENHAGEN GROW before you start building workers or settlers out of it. The larger Copenhagen IS, the faster it GROWS. Do not let it drop below size 3 once it gets there; it should always be working the three bonus food tiles. That's the +5 food threshold even without any worker improvements, so don't spend worker labor at this city yet. TRONDHEIM can make the +5 food threshold too once three wines get irrigated. That'll take a lot of worker labor, but pay off well.

There's still the one Indian warrior in our territory. Our scouts are holding the blockade for now, but that'll only last until Gandhi declares war. Also, Karachi and Jaipur won't take long to build temples and put the northerly blockade square into Indian territory.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/rbe6-1750bc.zip

After we fill both red dots on the map, we need to focus on workers instead of settlers for a bit. Military won't help anything until we get Iron Working and some iron (if we have any, it'll take worker labor to hook up.) If Gandhi wants us now, we're dead no matter what we build. (Copenhagen's warrior on order is for police, which we will need.)

That picture is looking MUCH better for us, T-Hawk. :goodjob: Three cities versus a Deity civ's nine is still suicidal odds, but it beats one city versus EIGHT! :lol: As you said, we are still screwed if Gandhi comes after us anytime in the near future, but we are making progress. Keep your spirits up, o brave Viking people! If we win this game down the line, just think of how glorious it would be! (If we manage to survive this starting position, I'm going to FRAME that first picture that shows our one city against their huge civ.) Even if (when) the borders of Jaipur and Karachi expand we should be able to bloackade off all incoming units with our three scouts: one on the wheat tile NW of Bergen, a second on the tile directly N of that, and a final scout on the hill two tiles SW of the fish. We'll be fine as long as Bergen doesn't flip. :eek: I wish you good luck JMB - we're going to need it.

reagan
Sullla
T-Hawk
JMB <<< UP NOW
JaxomCA <<< on deck

That picture is looking MUCH better for us, T-Hawk. Three cities versus a Deity civ's nine is still suicidal odds, but it beats one city versus EIGHT!

No joke! Making it out of this spot would really be something to be proud of. If Gandhi lets us hang around for a few more turns, we just may be able to make him wish he hadn't.

The placement of Copenhagen is nice because it allows us to drop another city to the west without having to burn a wheat tile. I also agree with settling the cows before red dot. Even if the game and fish bonuses were reversed, as they appeared to be in the previous pictures, you can't beat two cows and a wheat!

Good luck, JMB! :)

Oh my, oh my!

The current lineup of deity games should carry a warning label to lurkers - not for those with heart conditions.

There is *serious* competition going on for who will be swallowed up whole, spit up, and the first SG loss, between the Naked Vikings, Defiant Nationalists, and the Warmongering Koreans. I would have sworn the latter had the lead, but I think the Vikings and Japanese have them beat as far as the brutality of their headlock.

And yes, that 1-vs-8 shot would be priceless
An odd thought - you have a backup plan. It would still be an amazing comeback, but there's something in your back pocket. If Gandhi goes to war now, if you can hold your capital, a OCC style Diplo win remains possible. NOT where you would choose to go, but keep that in mind.

Good luck!
Charis

I think this one is in the best situation, actually. I agree Korea/Japan looks pretty scary, but this is low-mongering India we're talking about here. I see the biggest threat to this game as being a flip of Bergen. There's still a LOT of game to be played here...and they're not nearly as hand-cuffed as the nationalists or as behind as the Koreans.

Not that either the Japanese nor the Korean situation is necessarily fatal, either, as far as that goes. We do, indeed, live in interesting times.

But who said dying in interesting times was fun?

Arathorn

0 - Worker begins irrigating.

1 - Not much.

2 - Not much. We produce a settler out of Trondheim. Begin producing a worker. Bergen completes a worker, begins a warrior.

3 - Copenhagen completes warrior begins another.

4 - Not much.

5 - Found Reykjavik (along the coast to the NE of Trondheim) and begin a warrior. Trondheim completes worker, begins barracks (can be changed to a settler or temple if desired (and if we have the tech...)).

6 - The Indians begin the Pyramids.

7 - Not much.

8 - Not much.

9 - Reykjavik begins barracks (can be vetoed). The Carthaginians complete the Pyramids.

10 - Trondheim will grow in four turns and can produce a settler in the same time. We should probably do so to ensure we settle all our lands... Copenhagen should also be able to produce a settler within the next 5-6 turns. The two workers are bringing water down to Trondheim, but should we have iron (and plan to go to war), they should beeline for our nearest source of iron.

Karachi just expanded its borders last turn. Currently, we are producing another warrior in Bergen, but a temple might also be desireable (although we don't have the tech and it'll cost us 60 shields to produce...). Due to the border expansion, the scout to the NW of Bergen should head E to help block access to our lands.

I held off on purchasing any techs as we don't really want to purchase them at 1st. IW due in 4 turns and Gandhi doesn't yet have it, so there could be some brokering opportunities. But, I think we should try some "pointy stick" research (that is, if we have iron...) as that would be in keeping with our heritage. With "pointy sticks," we could also reduce the cultural pressure around Bergen (Gandhi does appear to have several spearmen in the area though...) and hopefully gain a few techs.

Here's the save, http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/RBE6Naked1500BC.zip

JMB

PS - if anyone notices any :smoke: please let me know...

BTW, I forgot to include this in my last post...

reagan <<< on deck
Sullla
T-Hawk
JMB
JaxomCA <<< UP NOW

JMB

Trade Iron Working to Gandhi when we get it. Why? He'll eventually demand it, and we won't yet be in a position to refuse. We're not Naked Defiant Nationalists. :) Go, however, for as much cash as we can get in the trade, since we'll be selling at monopoly price; cash doesn't devalue when we meet more civs but tech will.

Preturn: Noting changed.

1. 1475 BC ...
  2. 1450 BC ...
  3. 1425 BC Bergen completes a warrior, begins a worker.
  4. 1400 BC IW is discovered, traded to India for 132 golds (all he had) and ceremonial burial. Research begins on Mysticism at minimum pace for lack of a better tech to research. We have 1 iron and so does India.
  5. 1375 BC ...
  6. 1350 BC Copenhagen builds a settler and starts another one, the settler is sent to claim the iron. 20 shields is pop-rushed into Reykjavik barracks, which is then switched to a temple. Trondheim completes a barracks and starts cranking out vet warriors.
  7. 1325 BC ...
  8. 1300 BC England completes the Oracle.
  9. 1275 BC ...
  10. 1250 BC Irrigation reaches Trondheim.

I believe the next city should go on the hill where the scout is. Another city is needed between the 3 wheat NW of Copenhagen. After that, Copenhagen should be setup to become a worker factory and we should get ready to do a swordsman rush on India. Bergen should build its barracks as this is where we should be sending our warriors to be upgraded. Trondheim now needs to be MM between 4-2-4 foods.

Here is the save at the end of 1250 BC.

reagan <<< UP NOW
Sullla <<< on deck
T-Hawk
JMB
JaxomCA

We have iron!!! Woohoo! [dance] [party]

Every turn that passes makes this game look that much better. Irrigation brought to Trondheim is great news. Getting 132g (aka 3 sword upgrades) and Ceremonial Burial for Iron Working sounds good to me, seeing as how I don't think we could have gotten much more at 2nd civ prices. We definitely want to engage in some "pointy stick" research! :satan: Only thing I don't quite understand was the whipping at Reykjavik - was there an overriding need for the temple there? Bergen seems like it's the town that needs culture. Irregardless, we are in a vastly improved position compared to that in 2500BC. In another 20 or so turns, we might even be up to the status of cardboard cutouts! :lol:

Good luck reagan.

Top Bottom