RBO Discussion: A Not-So-Luxurious Discussion

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
As I began to compile my regular trade report for the upcoming turnchat, I noticed in my overview that it may become a bit difficult to purchase luxuries. The basic problem is this: If we're going to by anything, it probably won't be cheap. All deals to acquire luxuries will require either techs, or a large amount of gold.

The question: need we continue the purchase of luxury items? I'll note that, at the moment, the most we spend on entertainment, outside city improvements and Military Police, is a couple of entertainers. After my quick overview, we have no major happiness problems at the moment, except that both Roma and Windurst will riot next turn unless corrective action is taken

Offhand, we can get Ivory from Russia for Gems, Silks, and 380g. From the Aztecs, we can get Spices for Banking and Silks, and that's about as cheap as it gets. The only lux sale we can make is 27gpt and 10g from Russia for our Gems and Silks.

Please, contribute your thoughts!

honorable RBO Director Octavian :)

I say, make all deals possible, but keep China out. Never ever cut deals with the Soviet (China, maybe Russia) of the game, and go for the small ones to be happy and strong.

Dyes are worth 890 Gold to Lincoln straight up. So a trade for Physics after we trade with the Zulu (Physics - Printing Press) might be possible, considering that the Americans seem to be researching Military Tradition now...

As for the Aztecs, We can also get their Spices for Chemistry and 66 Gold. Since we now have the Oil springs Harbor, this would be my recommendation, as Chem is a middle MA "do nothing" tech, valuable though it may be.

I also recommend that we obtain only 1 Resource per Turnchat, so that we don't experience such a massive popularity shift in the future.

Snipelfritz might be more informative about the happiness situation in his province, but I'm sure he has some cities that aren't the happiest. Windurst is the only city in my province that has happiness problems (but it's currently building a cathedral). I suggest buying a luxury from a weaker civilization. Anything further would be dependent on the situation in Itakaji.

The more gold for us, the better. Go with what will give us the most bang for our buck.

Top Bottom