RBTS2 - Defense!

Are you sure it's not the samurais killing units around the defender?

Okay, I came across a very irritating and bizarre bug while I was playing. I was just playing and early on, suddenly our elite hill warrior in the north as well as the elite mace that Sullla built just disappeared... They hadn't even been attacked yet (and there's no record of it in the combat log), but they were just gone. I halfway wondered if it was the invisible unit bug, but no, they're definitely gone, confirmed by enemy units walking on that space unimpeded. The round is called "Minefield" so my only guess is that random squares kill off units, but that seems like a totally bizarre feature... Any ideas, I guess we'll just roll with it and I'll finish this thing off, but just a heads-up. Any lurkers experience this? Anyways, I'll have the report up later tonight.

Are you sure it's not the samurais killing units around the defender?
I would also assume so. These guys are most annoying and deadly and should come up in your scenario about now. Any unit next to where they attack will be heavily wounded and after 1-2 or so attacks, they might just die...that's how it is

I had disappearing units in the Seppuku round in my game - that must have been what it was. It didn't seem to give any warning, though, and I'd weakened the Psycho Samurai heavily before they came through.

Mind you, I also had an inability to research techs when I reloaded my save so I do think there are still some bugs in this scenario.

I've tried playing a few turns of the next round from my save and I saw why the units disappeared: The round includes Suicide Grenadiers.

The first grenadier was hidden under a Samurai, so you might have missed it if you didn't hover the cursor over a stack. Maybe all future grenadiers were also hidden the same way. I haven't played long enough to find out.

What happened to the game, by the way?

As we start heading into the harder rounds, I think there will come a round where we die (or get decimated). If (when?) this happens, I think the poor sap that drew the short straw should report the round as per normal and then we should throw the game open to all the players to see if anyone can get past that round.

Thoughts?

Huts: 91, 53, 97, 52.
Builds: 3 Bowmen, 1 mace, 1 catapult, 1 musket, 600 gold leftover.

Ok guys, I finished the round, and I'm pretty sure this scenario is broken... Let's play "What's Wrong With This Picture," and here is the picture:

For those who don't catch it, this is the picture when the round ended. Anything wrong here? I thought I was going nuts, so I tried the round again (I'm uploading and reporting the original, the second one was merely as an experiment) and the same thing happened... This is on top of the disappearing units, which were not attacked by suicide grenadiers or anything else for that matter (I tested that again too, and the combat log also said I wasn't attacked)... The other thing is occasionally I'd have units that would get severely damaged, like one of my ranged units stacks would suddenly all be down to .3 health, which was very weird (also were not attacked, combat log verifies it). I also had a scout suddenly disappear too, also not attacked unless the combat log missed it. What I'm attributing this to is the title of the round "Minefield" in that maybe there are random spots around the map that kill off your units or something, but I don't know for sure to be honest.

All that said, I finished it, even though there are units left. When I hit end turn, the units left tally said "2" but there were way more than 2 units left, so I don't know what caused this or what we should do... My suggestion would be just to play with it and see what happens.

Other than the two units that disappeared, things went fairly smootly, with one slightly disturbing exception:

Fortunately I shifted a couple units and was able to catch it in time, but other than that things went relatively smoothly and according to plan. I updated one or two "safe" signs, I added a new one and got rid of one that wasn't really safe.

Sorry for yet another delay, I'm in the process of moving right now, so life has gotten slightly hectic. I might need to skip my next turn, depends on how things go (I'll let you all know).

Anyway, so what do we do with this? I think we just play it out, but I don't know what the deal is or what is going on with these leftover units...

Attachments

• RBTS2 stage 15 end.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.1 KB · Views: 121
I've tried playing a few turns of the next round from my save and I saw why the units disappeared: The round includes Suicide Grenadiers.

Oh yeah I knew they were in the round and I was watching for them. Play about 15-20 turns or so in this save (after about 20 kills) and you should see them disappear. I did a couple test rounds after I finished and I got the exact same results.

Ok guys, I finished the round, and I'm pretty sure this scenario is broken...
For those who don't catch it, this is the picture when the round ended. Anything wrong here? I thought I was going nuts, so I tried the round again (I'm uploading and reporting the original, the second one was merely as an experiment) and the same thing happened... This is on top of the disappearing units, which were not attacked by suicide grenadiers or anything else for that matter (I tested that again too, and the combat log also said I wasn't attacked)...

Well i told you so... units will remein from now on in all rounds, but with enough firepower (i.e. trebs and cats) that will be no problem. Only the last round can be challenging from now on. I thought this has something to do with the new Zombies that spawn when they get a kill (thus more enemies) but i can't verify it. The scenario also sais something about a bonus when you kill all units, maybe there is a round limit and those units you didn't kill remain...

How did those muskets play out ? I didn't buy a single other unit from that branch other than longbows.

The good thing now is that you have to kill the remaining weaker units from the round before and the stronger ones with more firepower in the next round. Round 19 should be finished in no more than 2 to 3 turns.

Good luck, and stay on course.:goodjob:

Well i told you so... units will remein from now on in all rounds, but with enough firepower (i.e. trebs and cats) that will be no problem. Only the last round can be challenging from now on. I thought this has something to do with the new Zombies that spawn when they get a kill (thus more enemies) but i can't verify it. The scenario also sais something about a bonus when you kill all units, maybe there is a round limit and those units you didn't kill remain...

How did those muskets play out ? I didn't buy a single other unit from that branch other than longbows.

The good thing now is that you have to kill the remaining weaker units from the round before and the stronger ones with more firepower in the next round. Round 19 should be finished in no more than 2 to 3 turns.

Oh, I must've missed that post, thanks for assuring me that I'm not nuts! It would be nice if the game let you know :rolleyes:...

Good job dealing with these unexpected problems. :)

I am still hoping this was just some sort of bug and not a “feature”. How much memory does your system have? I’ll try replaying your save this evening, and will also try replaying the round from my save, to see if it makes a difference.

About remaining units, perhaps there is a turn limit, so we should try to kill them off as quickly as possible and see if we can clear the field before next round starts.

PS And I agree with Ruff’s suggestion that if somebody loses, we should take the report, but then work together on getting through the round starting from previous person’s save.

Off-topic, on a possible bug in the Defense scenario:

I have experienced the same thing at the same level:

Round 15: Too many enemies 'left'.

I'm in the building phase, but there's still enemies left.
By the time I finish those, I get KILLED by the new units rolling in.

I posted in Bug Repots, no answer yet.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237751

I'd be interested to know if you guys can actually play past this issue.

I've replayed the round and found two things:

1. There really are extra units left over in the end of round. (My enemies left count was at -2, with plenty of enemies left on the screen.)

2. I saw only 2 reasons for units to disappear:
2.1. Samurai cause collateral damage to units in nearby squares. (As a couple lurkers have pointed out in this thread.)
2.2. There are sometimes Suicide Grenadiers hidden in the middle of large stacks. I've almost missed a couple of them myself, and I was paying careful attention to each enemy I saw.

I've seen no mysterious unit disappearances that couldn't be explained by one of the two reasons above. (It's possible that there is a bug in some systems, because my new computer is pretty powerful, so I am not ruling out this possibility, but, unlike the extra enemies bug, I couldn't reproduce this one.)

Bugs or not, it's time for us to keep playing onwards. There's still a full 20 units on the map before the next wave even starts incoming! :eek: Umm, that can't possibly have been part of the design...

Ruff, you have the fun task of being up next. Build us a couple maces to replace the units that disappeared, then keep cranking out those ranged gunmen. We'll show 'em a thing or two, bugs or no bugs! :hammer:

Yup - I have the game. Should be able to play tonight.

Bugs or not, it's time for us to keep playing onwards. There's still a full 20 units on the map before the next wave even starts incoming! :eek: Umm, that can't possibly have been part of the design...

Ruff, you have the fun task of being up next. Build us a couple maces to replace the units that disappeared, then keep cranking out those ranged gunmen. We'll show 'em a thing or two, bugs or no bugs! :hammer:
I certainly cant speak for the developer of this scenario, but my take is that it was designed with enemies left to make it more of a nonstop onslaught for the last few rounds while still letting you use your gold to buy units. It definitely adds to the challenge a bit, and some enemy units can get through the defense net this way (especially stronger enemy units which require bombardment).

That was a fairly straight forward round. I had quite a few units from last round to kill off (they reduced the number of tanks I had to kill). Kill off the suicide grenadiers and samari using long distance units (bowman, musketmen, cats, etc) and you will not lose any melee units. I had some injured elephants that I let roll forward (providing they were the only unit in the stack) to crash themselves against our jungle based warriors / macemen.

Then came the tanks ... str 18, movement 3. 3 cats and 1 bowman can kill a tank ...

... which is actually a lot of fun. I didn't spend much time looking for huts, spent most time killing units. These are the units I purchased (anti tank gun still doesn't make economic sense on a gold per str basis) ...

These are our forward attack units (still have 3 cats further out picking off the incoming units) ...

WARNING ... a few new attack paths, firstly the north ...

... and then in the south ...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/64034/RBTS2_AD-5870_End_Round_16.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom