RBTS8 - Rhye's of the Mayans

No, great people (and boats) won't die to the plague, unlike spies, missionaries, workers and land soldiers...

Cheers, Luke

Great, if you are going to win by UHV, the game is almost won at this point.

However, if you want to conquer or colonise to make the game more fun, be a little more careful--I won't give away anything as of yet.

Diplomatically:

The Aztecs became a vassal state of Germany early in my set, so we probably don't want to attack them even if we can. It's unlikely to make a lot of difference.

I don't really understand the mechanics of who we have contact with, I think. For instance, at the moment we have contact with Germany, Rome and Portugal (this turn), but not France or England. Have people been building Embassies without mentioning it, or are the AIs keeping units around us that cause them to retain contact with us?

I could build an embassy with Arabia, but I'm not going to bother because it looks like they might well collapse soon anyway. Instead I'm going to build far more awesome things, like the Taj Mahal.

Economically:

Selling maps to all the Europeans would be a great idea, if any of them had any gold. Since they didn't, I didn't bother. Let them go find out for themselves!

Does anyone know whether it's actually intended that while we can't chop Jungle until Biology, we *can* build plantations on resources, thereby removing the jungle?

I finished the research of Constitution, then also Corporation (yummy trade routes) and I leave Democracy on the very verge of completion. I haven't formed any strong opinion on what to do next, though.

We got a Great Prophet in the middle of the set. I can't decide whether he's better spent on the Kong Miao, given that Confucianism is one of the world's leading religions, or combining with the Great Scientist to form a Golden Age. I'm leaning towards the latter, for two main reasons: First, it would allow us to make some overdue civic swaps without anarchy (wait for Democracy first, though). Second, it would combine with the GA from Taj Mahal, which I leave over half complete, to form a super double-length GA, and there's no way that can be a bad thing, right?

Militarily:

Basically, nothing happened. Arabia declared war on Rome along about the end of the set, but I don't expect anything much to come of it.

Counting the scouting since it's the best we've got: the Knight in South America popped one hut for 118g. The scouts finished exploring Australia, finding nothing further of interest, and there's a Galley there so that they can scout New Zealand as well. The caravel covered the East coast of North America, where there was nothing much of interest.

In general, there wasn't a lot going on. Mostly steady as she goes, building Grocers and Universities and Customs Houses and Banks, pulling up the economy. Still several more Banks needed for Wall Street, note, which might well be relevant if we want that shrine, or any corporations.

Remember to check for places worth whipping before we change out of Slavery (I think we need a revolution whether or not it's assisted by a GA). Some of the colonies, at least, are likely to benefit.

If this were a normal game, I'd say it'd be an easy win from here. As it is... who knows what will happen?

Garath

PS: I really hope this save works - it's led a bit more adventurous a life than most do.

View attachment RBTS8 - Rhyes of Japan AD-1550 Turn 261.CivBeyondSwordSave

Does anyone know whether it's actually intended that while we can't chop Jungle until Biology, we *can* build plantations on resources, thereby removing the jungle?
Yes, it is intended.

Have people been building Embassies without mentioning it, or are the AIs keeping units around us that cause them to retain contact with us?
A reasonable possibility is that the AI have been building them. They act both ways. You migh be able to find some in your cities, that you didn't build.

I never build any embassies. Why waste the hammers when some stupid AI might eventually declare war on you.

You mention nobody has any gold. Well, France usually has lots of gold, and the trick is to sell them (all the civs you know) maps every turn to squeeze out an extra 10% of research. This is actually quite useful if you want to get good relationships with the rest of the world which will become apparent after you switch to free religion.

I would definitely build the Kong Miao now. You can always get another great person after communism or physics to switch civics.

Lurker's comment: Be careful with the golden age/swap civic without annarchy stuff, I'm quite sure it does not work the same as standard BTS

Lurker's comment: Be careful with the golden age/swap civic without annarchy stuff, I'm quite sure it does not work the same as standard BTS
I think the way we understand this is that you change civics, then set off the GA which cancels the anarchy. Or is it the other way around... :crazyeye:

The existence of many gamey exploits is a lagre flaw of that mod, IMO. I think that Rhye should bring back anarchy-free Golden Age switches, anyway.

Not much happened, so here's an executive summary of the turnset:

- Sold outdated techs around for some extra cash. Finished Democracy, then researched Replaceable Parts (3 turns), Military Science (3 turns), and Chemistry (4 turns). The idea was to get to the uber Assembly Line tech ASAP.

- Decided to go ahead and burn the Great People on a golden age, simply to avoid weird instability when changing civics. We went to Representation, Free Speech, Emancipation, Free Market, Free Religion, and Commonwealth. That's something different in five out of six categories! We were getting over 1000 beakers/turn while in golden age mode.

- I built a lot of jails during my turnset. They apparently add to stability, and the espionage points don't hurt either.

- Ended the pointless war with the Ottomans. We signed a white peace, gaining and losing nothing.

- We built Taj Mahal halfway through my turnset, extending the Golden Age another eight turns. Very nice.

- In 1580, we suddenly lost contact with half the civs in the game. For no clear reason, we lost contact with Arabia despite having a unit sitting in full view of the Arabian border! I have no idea what kind of silliness was going on here, nor do I want to guess.

- Late in the turnset, I pick up Astronomy from last-place Netherlands for Education + Military Science + Constitution. This is a nice deal for us, although is does obsolete our Colossus, sadly. Had to happen eventually.

- Arabia collapsed in 1595AD. Since we always had terrible relations with them, this can only be a good thing, methinks.

- Germany and its collection of European vassals (Netherlands + Portugal + France) all declared war on Rome in 1600AD. But Rome simultaneously drew an event that granted them a Golden Age. What will happen over there is anyone's guess... but Germany is researching Rifling, so Rome is probably in trouble.

That's all, a quiet turn where I just managed the economy and held down the fort. I didn't make any moves towards colonization, because I'm worried about stability and have no clue what those vague "stars" on the Domestic Advisor mean. Even with the major tech discounts that the AIs get, we are coasting along in comfortable first place position.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Attachments

• RBTS8-AD-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    802.6 KB · Views: 76
  • RBTS8-25.jpg
    RBTS8-25.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,078
Looks good, and certain cruise to victory. Only two comments:
1. Maybe try to build a couple temples in a city for the chance at a great prophet for shrine? Not a big deal, but may as well.
2. We aren't using our ability to direct Khmer's research. Suggest telling them to research Rifling, Steel, or Sci Method after gifting them the needed techs. Keeping us on AL beeline is fine for now.

I suspect we're in a good place to go either a-colonizing or a-warring on the next couple of sets if we feel like doing something more interesting than just cruising to victory. I left the nation a lot less stable than Sulla has now made it, so we've got plenty of buffer, I think. It looks like India is distinctly unstable, which might well make them a good target? I don't know.

Sounds like Germany's getting strong, which would matter a lot more if they weren't on the other side of the planet. They're unlikely to win by anything, or even become a serious threat, before our UHV kicks in. Fortunately, their own UHV is much later than ours and won't become a player in this game.

Garath

- In 1580, we suddenly lost contact with half the civs in the game. For no clear reason, we lost contact with Arabia despite having a unit sitting in full view of the Arabian border! I have no idea what kind of silliness was going on here, nor do I want to guess.

Losing contact with no unit that sees other's units or cultural border is reasonable, while losing contact with a unit sitting in others' border is a small bug which is certainly tolerable. Just move that unit by one tile and you gain contact again. I think this might be due to how "contact" is calculated, but it never impedes my game playing.

T1 1605AD - Germany captures a Roman city; Portugal unvassalizes from Germany; We get a Merchant which I decide to send on an exploration mission to Europe; Our worker in the Phillipines gets the option to heal :confused: (Effect of the Plague?)

T2 1610AD - We meet Ethiopia

T3 1615AD - We meet Spain; Independents capture a Roman city

T4 1620AD - We get Steam Power and we have FIVE sources of coal, and reveals to me that we have yet to settle all of our island; Russia gets the plague so I ensure borders are CLOSED

T5 1625AD - We meet Mali, who is hopelessly backwards; We get a GA who is settled in Beijing

T6 1630AD - Plague spreads to Germany, Turkey and Scandanavia, borders are closed and our Merchant's exploration mission is cut short and we get money from Delhi

T7 1635AD - Portugal, Ethiopia and the Netherlands get the plague, more borders closed; Germany captures another Roman city

T8 1640AD - Plague spreads to just about everyone, including us :sad:; Sapporo is founded in the north

T9 1645D - The plague continues to ravage

T10 1650AD - The whole world except the Aztecs have the plague; Germany captures Constantinople and vassalizes Rome while the Dutch unvassalize; We complete the Statue of Liberty in Beijing and Assembly Line, Rifling is selected as next

Victory Approaches! :)

Attachments

• RBTS8 - Rhyes of Japan AD-1650 Turn 281.CivBeyondSwordSave
    876 KB · Views: 72
Got it for tomorrow night. We could prepare for a war w/India but I'm not sure that would really get us anything. I imagine I will be mostly building factories anyways.

Lurker:
Reading this game has made me reinstall BTS and starting play with Rhye !

Even with all the complaints about the mod from the team? Interesting...

Another pretty dull turnset; no pictures. Plague continued to wreak havoc during the 1st half, was gone about 6-7 turns in.

When we finished Rifling, I stockpiled cash for a couple turns waiting for our vassal to finish Scientific Method. I traded for that, set him on Steel (will take him a while, but since cannons are already enabled in this tech tree I think it's not a high priority), and set our research to Biology. Free great people are tempting, but with many of our cities undersized from the plague I thought that would be best (also allowing us to clear some jungle on our colonies, suggest workshops down there to give them a little production ability). It looks like Portugal might have beaten us to Communism and no one appears to be going for Physics, so we may be able to get the free scientist. Medicine may be useful eventually, it grants immunity to plague and there is one more in the 1800's right?

Most cities built grocers for health along with production boosters (levees, factories). None actually got to shale plants.

Asoka is now Friendly towards us and is researching Communism, so we may be able to get it from him (although his research pace is slow).

The Karakorum replacements was founded, our fourteenth city. Our tech costs went up by 1/12th, faster than the total size of our empire (and much more so considering how weak a new city would be to our existing metropolises). The increasing tech costs vs. size is a decent idea but that's way too steep of a factor IMO.

Monty asked for Gunpowder, later broke free from Germany and asked to become our vassal (despite hating us!). I said no to both of these (he's not so popular across the pond), as well as to Zara asking us to adopt Theocracy. Rome fell into civil war and disappered. I was sending our atlantic workboat to re-meet England in hopes of some tech deals but it got sank by a barbarian before reaching there.

Just like last time, some cities in our core are w/o defenders thanks to plague; since none got happy problems I figured the replacements could wait until the production infrastructure got up.

ROSTER
Sullla
Kodii
Timmy827
mostly-harmless (UP)
Garath (on deck)

Attachments

• RBTS8 - Rhyes of Japan AD-1700 Turn 291.CivBeyondSwordSave
    917.9 KB · Views: 62
Now that you've built enough courthouses and jails, how about sending a spy on a mission to steal a tech. (Devote all your espionage towards that civ, e.g. your vassal Khmer or his neighbor India). If you research that tech first maybe you can get some gold.

Or are you willing just to sit back, wait till 1850 and spread your espionage around and see what's happening in the world?:lol:

Top Bottom