1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RC & Elysium 260AD

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by GaryNemo, Nov 11, 2002.

?

What shall we build in RC and Elysium?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2002.
  1. Civvium Silver: Rehome in Elysium, then to RC, Elysium max trade = 21

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Civvium Silver: Deliver to REGIA CIVITAS, Civvium max trade = 11

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Reneaux Salt: Deliver into Elysium demand in 4 turns!

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  4. Someone, please explore the Black Ocean near REGIA CIVITAS.

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Name Polar City: Penguin Flats

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Name Polar City: Frozen Beast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Name Polar City: by normal poll. I know few City Names are available.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. REGIA CIVITAS: Start another Caravan - Recommended

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  9. REGIA CIVITAS: Start a MarketPlace

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. REGIA CIVITAS: Start something else... Wonder Dip Settler?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Elysium: Complete Cop's, then start a Caravan.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Elysium: Start a MarketPlace

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  13. Elysium: Start something else... Wonder Dip Settler?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Civvium Silver Caravan: We will get twice the gold and beakers by rehoming it in Elysium, and also more Trade Arrows each turn. This may be the best choice, but it leaves Civvium without a Trade Route. Perhaps later, when we let Civvium grow, we can then form a Trade Route with Elysium or RC.

REGIA CIVITAS: Caravan 44/50 in 1 turn, feed Mike's
      Temple, 2 guards, 7 shields + 5 tax + 24 beakers
      Then another Caravan? Settler before grows in 27.
      Recommend we retain the Scientist, serfs 2 Whales & 2 Roads.
      Recommend we build one more Caravan, then Settler, then Mike's

Please spare me from posting a naming poll for Polar City, Penguin Flats. Penguin Flats is a good name, and it will help us to remember where it is, down in the middle of nowhere. If you must, suggest a name, Frozen Beast maybe? If you are a member of the government, think of your namesake and post it in the "List of City Names" thread. Naming poll must win by a 2:1 majority for me to even consider it.

Please consider the posts here and elsewhere carefully, then vote Tuesday or early Wednesday. Anyone heard from naervod?

2. GaryNemo

Afterthoughts:

Elysium: Cop's 289/300 in 2, Size=4, grows in 42
      has Temple, 3 guards, 6 shields, 20 trade (-5): 6 tax + 21 beakers.
      Legion & Phx guards + None Horse, very strong.
    Two Caravans on Road are planned for Mike's.
      Let's move one onto the Silk, separate them.
      Perhaps we should build Mike's in REGIA CIVITAS for safety?

With Elysium's six Tax, maybe we should be thinking of a MarketPlace. I wish I knew when we will discover Monotheism, for Mike's. And what about Republic? And our Duke has mentioned Isaac Newton. One last thing. We may need a Dip Captain for the LC Trireme in fewer than 10 turns.

This new WebServer seems a bit more reliable, doesn't it?

3. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Polar City actual seemed fine for me. Or how about Frozen Toe? Since it's at the bottom of the map (i.e. foot) and is near the arctic. ;)

Mike's would actually be a priority for me over Newtons, so maybe Elysium can build a marketplace while we use the caravans for Mike's. Once the Marketplace is done, let it start a wonder (or if some time to being done with Newton's a caravan).

4. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Good idea, Duke! Let's build Mike's in RC, starting with caravans so we can IPRB. Our star cities need marketplaces, too.

I prefer to establish the Civvium-RC trade route since Elysium already has 3 routes and the salt is also on the way. It would have been delivered already if I hadn't missed that detail. :mad:

Frozen Toe is a cute name, but don't we have any names in the queue? Aren't there some long forgotten former government officials without namesakes? ;)

Rout, I'm rooting for Routskilde for you. ;)

5. Duke of Marlbrough

I'm sure there are, but the question is, do any of the players want that city to be named after them. ;) It's not especially glamorous so a generic name may be best. The more I think of it the more I like Frozen Toe. :) And, if you've ever seen my city naming in my GOTM games, you'd see how hard it is for me to come up with a decent city name. ;)

6. GaryNemo

I voted so:
    Civvium Silver: Rehome in Elysium, then to RC, pays us double. I don't think we can afford the luxury of being kind to our cities. Count Goldberg of Elysium will repay us in profit for that Caravan, upon delivery and thereafter. Someday, Civvium will warrant a Trade Route, soon after it grows due to Mike's. And Reneaux Salt: Deliver into Elysium demand in 4 turns!
    Please explore the Black Ocean near REGIA CIVITAS.

Name Polar City: Penguin Flats, which I now spell "Frozen Toe"

REGIA CIVITAS: Start a Caravan, Elysium: Marketplace.

7. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

While I like Penguin flats, Frozen Toe is a good name as well. I would be happy with either. As the little bit of land sort of (kind of, maybe) looks a bit like a boot, Frozen Toe wins out for me. There may be other opportunities for Penquin Flats (just remember there are no Penguins on the North Pole ;) ).

rehome the Silver caravan, Civvium will get a trade route or two later.

8. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

What the heck! Go with Frozen Toe! :goodjob:

I realise that it is quite popular with some, but I feel that we ought to be concentrating on reducing our unhappy citizens and on wiping out the Vikings rather than fussing about what our cities should be called. Sure, we need some light-hearted fun here too, but the whole naming thing has become very bureaucratic. Have we used up all the names on the list yet then? In which case, can't we just let the President name each city as s/he sees fit? :)

9. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

I dont understand the urgency to explore the black sea near RC.
    I dont think there can be any land there as we would see the edge round the black areas.

Can we please transform RC's hidden special???

Frozen Toe is a good name, and I only intended Routskilde for the new roskilde site once it has been disbanded.

10. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Have we not also got a hidden special on the grassland to the east of Elysium? I'd like to see that transformed too as it might hide a worthwhile trade special. If we change it to plains then we only get buffalo or wheat: production or food, but if we forest it then we can get either silk or pheasant: trade or production/food. :goodjob:

11. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

There are LOADS to uncover, but as my previous appeals fell on deaf ears I thought I might edge the issue in slowly :)
    The Elysium NE is not one though.
    N,NW RC
    NW NW OP
    S Eboracum
    Inside Mordhiemia
    N Marl downs
    E Khorsabad
    S, SW Polar City
    SW Neuma

Edit: LINK:
    See this earlier map

12. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

We must rename Polar City to Penguin Flats. I love penguins!!! :D

13. GaryNemo

I also prefer Penguin Flats, since its near Beast Flats.

Rout, I guess we must decide which special to uncover first, RC or Elysium (they are about equal), and whether to Forest or Irrigate or what. I have no idea what would be best. Then we get F4, right?

We have the None Settler near Elysium, and LN in 10 turns.

14. Duke of Marlbrough

There should indeed be a hidden special for Elysium. It should be a pheasant. Then we can irrigate that to a plains and get buffalo if we want to. Since it is our SSC, trade is the key, so getting it to buffalo that generates trade arrows would be prefferable. It would also help with production a bit.

15. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Terraforming for specials is a fine use for available settler-turns. :D RC is the place to start. Maybe OP or MD next. Too late for Mordhemia, though. :(

16. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Once the cities start growing (when we have republic) we should have all specials available! Also by then we should have irrigated some squares around our major cities (the shielded grasslands preferably) to ensure proper growth.

17. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

So there is! Apologies.

18. Talar

Talar Warlord

I noticed Elysium is building a marketplace. I think a courthouse may take better advantage of Elysium's trade arrows because of the x1,5 and x2 modifiers given by the library and copernicus. Currently there is 5 corrupted trade arrows, I'm not sure if the courthouse effect is rounded up or down.

19. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

The idea is to switch to republic in the near future so will the courthouse have much benefit then? I think corruption is much lower in republic and we will have more benefit from marketplace than from courthouse.

20. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

I prefer Penguin Flats.