1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RCP example?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by SesnOfWthr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

OK, so I've been experimenting with RCP in my last couple of games, but I'm not quite getting it right. I've read and reread the article in the war academy, but I'm just not getting the math of it. I certainly understand the concepts, but I can never quite get the placement correct. Apparently, the number of moves a worker would take to get there is NOT considered the distance. I was hoping someone might have a screenie they can post as I'm more of a visual learner anyhow. BTW - I'm using Vanilla civ, I know this was fixed in Conquests.

At any rate, thanks for any help given. :goodjob:

2. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I try to do this --

Pretend that I'm moving a horse in chess from the capital. (either 3 or 4 tiles, then 1 right or left). I think the 'ring' is more of an oval, where you can fit 6-8 cities in your first 'ring' of cities.

EDIT: Look at this thread here. It's got a nice graphic.

There's 2 simple things to remember.

Diagonal tiles = 1
    Directional tiles (up, down, left, right) = 1.5

2 to the west = 3 (1.5 + 1.5).
    3 to the NW = 3 (1 + 1 + 1).

Color-coded city placement further down in the thread.

Here's a picture that I found in that thread:

One other thing to note: I also read that the distance numbers are rounded down. (so, the 1.5 becomes 1, 3.5 becomes 3, and so on).

3. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

OK, so now I get it!! :D

I knew a couple pictures could make all the3 difference. So basically, any move straight n, e, s, or w counts as 1.5 and ne, etc. counts as 1. I really appreciate the help Chieftess, you're the best.

:worship: :thanx:

4. Chieftess

Just so you know I edited it recently, the fractions are rounded down. But, it would still make your city placement look uniform if you placed all cities in the 1.5/2.5/3.5 etc. tiles. :)

5. kb2tvl

kb2tvl Chieftain

Technically the distances are truncated.

Anyway, city placement for civ 3 is super important. I like a distance of 5/5.5. As can be seen in the picture, you can get 12 cities in that ring which gives a super tight packing.

6. Chieftess

If you were to build correctly, an image such as this would appear:

Atleast that's the way the graphics in the other thread appeared to start to show. The points would be a bit more extended I think (and probably flipped -- I'm not a good artist, BTW).

7. ProPain

ProPain Chieftain

SesnOfWthr, keep in mind that RCP builds no longer yield the corruption advantage after the 1.13 C3C beta patch. So if you're playing conquest at 1.13 or higher, dont bother with RCP.