Resource icon

Re-Districting v2.0

anansethespider

Warlord
anansethespider submitted a new resource:

Re--Districting - This mod adds expands the District system from Civ VI Vanilla with new districts and interactions.

WHAT IS THIS?

Ever thought to yourself that there aren't enough districts in vanilla Civ VI to make the question of which to place actually meaningful? Ever felt like all your cities ended up being more or less the same?

This mod seeks to address these concerns by adding a number of new districts to the game. Each is meant to have its own identity and synergies such that in any given playthrough you will face meaningful choices concerning which districts to prioritize.

The mod is...

Read more about this resource...

They're quite visible if you install the artdef file correctly. Just overwrite the base game's districts.artdef and voila. The worst you'll have to deal with then is that the Fishery looks just like a harbor floating out in the middle of the water.

i have installed/overridden it correctly the districts are still invisible i built a culinary district and the tile is completely bare. the only one that shows is the fishery/harbor

Last edited:
Just finished my first game with this mod and I really liked it. Yes some district don't appear on the map and some building are not finished and do nothing, but this is the essence of a great start.

Here is my impression grab bag:
- Water mill hidden in the miller district. I was wondering why I didn't have the Eureka it normally provide. Also now you could build a water mill without a river.
- The new districts do not trigger the Inspiration for building a district.
- AI is even dumber now. Saw one fishery next to a harbor and no ressource for Germany and my spies revealed that nobody had build any exploitable district. Brazil had no culture, Germany no Hansa, etc. Russia DID build a Lavra. Using AI+ mod.
- Fishery requiring Industrial district to expand. I thought it was an Harbor district. I wouldn't mix those two if possible to keep the meaningful part of city planning you are aiming for.

- I like the idea of even more specialized city. I managed to build a successful harbor city on a 2 tile island and a government city wedged in the middle of my empire.

- Why does everything need adjacency to industrial, commercial and to a smaller extent theatre district? At the end my cities were going back to doing the same district as usual because they were needed to make the new district work.

- Campus and holy site would also need some love. Some ideas would be an Hospital district next to a campus and a City of the dead (culture and gold) for the holy site. Even a single option would make specializing a city possible. Also Encampment (militia training center with adjacency to Fort?) and Entertainment (a Mall for money bridging any of your commercial district?). Airport might get a big hotel for tourism. Space port should probably get something but I have no ideas.

Also I think district like the textile's would need the ressource bonus added to the building itself if you have the ressource instead of the ressource on the map. For added complexity, taking a page out of Civ4 and requiring a trading post in that city (connected to the trade network) or even better, getting the bonus for ressource of other players if they create a trading post in your city.

Keep up the good work.

Just finished my first game with this mod and I really liked it. Yes some district don't appear on the map and some building are not finished and do nothing, but this is the essence of a great start.

Here is my impression grab bag:
- Water mill hidden in the miller district. I was wondering why I didn't have the Eureka it normally provide. Also now you could build a water mill without a river.
- The new districts do not trigger the Inspiration for building a district.
- AI is even dumber now. Saw one fishery next to a harbor and no ressource for Germany and my spies revealed that nobody had build any exploitable district. Brazil had no culture, Germany no Hansa, etc. Russia DID build a Lavra. Using AI+ mod.
- Fishery requiring Industrial district to expand. I thought it was an Harbor district. I wouldn't mix those two if possible to keep the meaningful part of city planning you are aiming for.

- I like the idea of even more specialized city. I managed to build a successful harbor city on a 2 tile island and a government city wedged in the middle of my empire.

- Why does everything need adjacency to industrial, commercial and to a smaller extent theatre district? At the end my cities were going back to doing the same district as usual because they were needed to make the new district work.

- Campus and holy site would also need some love. Some ideas would be an Hospital district next to a campus and a City of the dead (culture and gold) for the holy site. Even a single option would make specializing a city possible. Also Encampment (militia training center with adjacency to Fort?) and Entertainment (a Mall for money bridging any of your commercial district?). Airport might get a big hotel for tourism. Space port should probably get something but I have no ideas.

Also I think district like the textile's would need the ressource bonus added to the building itself if you have the ressource instead of the ressource on the map. For added complexity, taking a page out of Civ4 and requiring a trading post in that city (connected to the trade network) or even better, getting the bonus for ressource of other players if they create a trading post in your city.

Keep up the good work.

YAY thanks so much for the detailed post! I love to see this.

1. What districts aren't showing up? I'm aware of the empty buildings, but I thought all the districts were fine. If you could specify it'd help out.

2. Hidden water mill, along with a few other changes, will mess up some boosts. I see that as the last step to fix.

3. I truly hope you're wrong that the ai is even dumber lol, but I do believe it's a possibility.

4. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing with the Harbor districts. That does seem off when you put it that way, but I believe my thoughts at the time were that the four Harbor districts would each benefit from harbor, but also one other district. So Fishery - Harbor/Indsutrial, Naval Base - Harbor/Encampment, etc. But this is not fully implemented at this point. Idk.

5. Awesome to hear about the harbor city and the government city, that's definitely the intention.

6. I think the feeling that you still needed all the same districts (commercial and industrial) is because that's where I started. I realize now from your comment and others that it was perhaps a mistake to implement all these changes to commercial and industrial based districts without adding comparable incentives for theater, holy site, campus, etc. So my answer to your question is that the next big set of districts/buildings/etc I'll add will emphasize the other districts instead.

7. I like both of your district ideas.

8. Why do you think the districts like textiles should attach bonuses to the buildings instead of resources? Speaking from a backend perspective, it's a lot easier to code additions to resource yields because of buildings like Water Mill that I can copy. I'm not aware of any effects currently in the game like what you describe that I could use as a baseline.

the culinary district doesn't show

also most of the districts can be built too early i can tell you now they would not have had butchers, smitthys and gem cutters in the ancient/classical era

1. Cantina quarter was another one that wasn't showing. I haven't tried building all of them yet.

2. After double checking the water mill cannot be built without a river. Maybe the entire Miller district should follow this rule to prevent confusion?

3. I my current game it doesn't seem so bad for now. Japan has a Miller quarter next to 2 farm and most city state build either a miller next to 1-2 farm or 1 butcher next to one pasture, when it could have bought a tile and put it next to 2 instead.

4. I see that now, but those adjacency are driving me crazy. Fishery want fish/harbor/industrial, drydock want harbor/wood/industrial, naval base want drydock and harbor (no encampment) and boardwalk want fish/harbor. Let's not forget that Harbor itself want fishes and a commercial, next to a river if possible. 19 pop are required for those 7 districts. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.
Suggestion: boardwalk should probably be an extension of the theatre district, with appeal of the tile being it's main bonus (maybe start with neighborhood district to work it out).

8. I like the idea of a commercial hub surrounded by all the new district, but if you get a city with that crazy amount of luxury all in one place, you wouldn't be able to place those district anyway. Maybe a district project for these would work?

9. New point: all your district have great Citizen yield but not a single Citizen slot, making the yield unusable.

also are ther new icons in this? because in the tech tree it just shows as a blank brown hex icon.

bread and sausage luxury resource icons when in the trade menu of another civ are blank.

Last edited:
Would there be any way to combine the building icons of yours with the ones from the Additional Buildings mod?

I tried doing it myself, and it...went poorly.

-edit-
Nevermind, your icons don't seem to work on their own.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the idea of this mod. I'm looking forward to trying it out and also looking forward to improvements and tweaks you end up making to the mod.

Did you add custom art for the new districts/buildings?

Thank you!

anansethespider updated Re-Districting with a new update entry:

Winter Update!

What does this Mod do?

Welcome to Re-Districting, a mod for Civ VI intended to enhance and rebalance the game's district system. Broadly speaking, this mod does a few things:

1. Introduces fourteen new districts with associated buildings
2. Rebalances existing districts in light of additions
3. Revamps the system of trade route yields from districts completely.

Trade Route Yields

All districts have had their trade routes adjusted. In vanilla Civ, every district generated...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Fantastic Mod! Especially loving the trade route changes!

I have a question: Is there anyway you can make the trade route revamps standalone? I would love to have those trade route changes without the overwhelming number of districts right now. Not saying your district changes aren't good, but I would like to keep things simple for now. Is there a way? Thank you :D

Fantastic Mod! Especially loving the trade route changes!

I have a question: Is there anyway you can make the trade route revamps standalone? I would love to have those trade route changes without the overwhelming number of districts right now. Not saying your district changes aren't good, but I would like to keep things simple for now. Is there a way? Thank you :D

I'd also be interested in this.

horem found a way to make it so you don't have to replace any of the games XML to get custom icons etc to work. check out his additional buildings or tot mod to see how he did it.

I decided to playtest your mod alongside thecrazyscotsman's Omnibus, Moar Units, AI+, Smoother Difficulty and CQUI and have found that the AI tends to stack a lot of the gold producing districts added by this mod while also building huge armies, leading to civilizations like Germany with an insane amount of Gold Per Turn with relatively few cities overall. I believe this is due to each of your districts adding a very high amount of gold yield to trade routes, which compounds quickly with district-stacking. Here are some screenshots of my current campaign:
I can provide more if necessary.

Removed original question.. found solution myself.

Anyways the trade thing seems to be broken? I seem to get ridiculous amounts of gold when trading with city states and AI even early game (maybe because they stack gold districts ..?) .. that'd be fine if there was a negative, but my city doesn't seem to lose anything when I trade with another city .. How am I even supposed to tell what I'm sending out? As is it doesn't seem like I'm actually sending out resources and since there's no visual indicator ..

Okay so Better Trade screens mod was causing it to not display what I'd lose by sending out a trade route.. Would be nice if you could intergrate Better Trade Screen into this mod because that mod is just lovely .. But the problem above still stands and as others have said as well it really is a problem when even early game you get stupid amounts of gold by trading with city states or the AI who seem to prefer districts that produce gold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom