1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

re-enabling unit gifting to AI players

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by CrimsonIdol, Jan 17, 2019.

1. CrimsonIdol

CrimsonIdol Chieftain

Hi, just want to say I LOVE Vox Populi and have been playing iterations of it for a good while now. The one thing though that I really miss though from the previous versions/vanilla Civ is being able to gift units to AI. I realise/have read that this was removed as the potential there was for it to be exploited but I really think it added an extra dynamic to the game, another avenue of gameplay.

I used to love being able to send troops to some lesser Civ to help them ward off a far stronger one, whilst not *technically* going to war with that Civ. Even if often that might turn against me later down the track (they are their own civ after all). I often play Civ in an almost roleplaying way, and war-by-proxy is one of those things this allowed and I find it hilarious. The point where this usually becomes an option for me is when I'm already that far ahead anyway that this is usually just keeping myself entertained in the later half of the game.

Anyway, I understand that a lot of people play Civ differently, but I feel removing this feature was a real shame. Is it possible to at least add the option to do this (a checkbox or something) or is there some way I can hack this back into being available in some way?

Cheers

2. black213

black213 Chieftain

I had totally forgotten that used to be possible! Agreed, I wish an option for it would be introduced - roleplayers and other non-meta players likewise would appreciate it.

3. CrimsonIdol

CrimsonIdol Chieftain

To answer myself, I found this post very useful once I finally found the MODS folder (for any other noobs it's in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ ). Work a charm, thanks Moi Magnus!

I still think an option to include this in games without editing the some SQL file could be great, but I'm happy I can "fix" it for myself at least. Of course programming the AI to decide when it should and shouldn't delete its excess/outdated units that might be bogging them down would be the ultimate win-win, but I'm sure that's a lot easier said than done.

cammcken and black213 like this.
  4. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

JohannesWasHere, CrimsonIdol and vyyt like this.
  5. CrimsonIdol

CrimsonIdol Chieftain

Hmmm, seems to be more work than just editing that one file, but I presume the point is to keep the customisation there when you update VP if you had a few things you like to alter.

6. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

Nope, you just edit 1 file (you add the update line to the sql file) of the linked mod-mod instead of editing the line Iin the VP original file. Seems pretty much the same amount of work to me.

Moreover, if you edit the VP original file, you will have to do it all over again when you update VP.

It's easy, try it.