1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RE Getting 'into' character. Civ4 is the least RP friendly Civ.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by AU_Armageddon, Nov 27, 2005.

1. screwtype

screwtype Warlord

Yeah, I feel the same way. In Civ 3 you get a whole bunch of different continents, some of which are sometimes completely uninhabited, plus a sprinkling of little islands dotted here and there. I've tried several different map generator settings in Civ4 and just can't get the same effect, if you pick archipelago you get these crappy little islands everywhere and if you pick continents you get two or three big continents and that's it. Nothing between the two extremes!

2. screwtype

screwtype Warlord

Again, very well said. The game just seems sterile and antiseptic to me, leaderheads excepted, it lacks a human touch.

3. DemonDeLuxe

DemonDeLuxe Warlord

That seems to sum it up in a nutshell or, how I love to say: That's the way the cookie crumbles.

4. Agraza

Agraza Chieftain

5. Esteban

Esteban Chieftain

Man I remember reading about the various Unit Promotions and thinking : Holy... this one will feel so real'..... alas...

6. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Sad but true. I've had a Civ give me a huge tribute in gpt to let them leave, only to threaten me the turn after ? Quite ludicrous.

why ? Actually this is quite a realistic feature. Have you never seen a classical or medieval age siege in any movie ? Troy held for 10 years according to the legend.

obviously they can't have the effect of a real ICBM because they would be too unbalancing in the game. Then you or someone else would rightfully come on the forum to complain about it. But actually, they have an exponential strength factor. I have tested them only once (I never ever used them anyways) on a huge city far away from my borders . Well, 3 ICBMs and there wasn't any of the 10-12 defenders stationed there anymore, population crippled to that of a nomadic pre-historic village, etc. I didn't exactly think that was a waste of production. It would take me much more to achieve that result with "conventional" warfare.

You can also use navy to attack not just to defend, in case you didn't know.

Actually, with the exception of gunships, here I must agree with you again and disagree with others' comments. I don't know where they saw bombers being so useful ?
    1- you can't load them on carriers anymore. Realism ok. But their operational range then should have been increased HUGELY, accordingly. Instead...
    2- I couldn't manage to bombard any troops outside a city. Is it me or what ?
    3- whenever I try bombarding anything, I will ALWAYS be intercepted. No matter how many fighters the AI has. If they have even just one, that will do. Also they don't have a chance to intercept, they simply ALWAYS do it. The opposite scenario though is laughable. I almost never intercept enemy airplanes, and if I do I almost never shoot them down or stop them from hitting the target. And this on Noble/Prince difficulty...
    4- fighters: read above, almost always ineffective.

Can't fully agree nor disagree with your GPs considerations. But you must admit that they do add a great deal of strategy and also can add to roleplay.
    About wonders I full agree with you, the holy wonders don't even have a real movie to go with...

I don't like the map generation engine at all myself. I found that I now play only "balanced" maps.

I think everyone will agree here. But for this very reason, I am quite positive that a patch or an expansion will improve them.

I love the game too... let's keep these discussions up, because I think this will only help the game to improve. This kind of discussions should be sponsored and not discouraged. Incidentally, the quickest and most useless comments like "n00b" come often from beta-testers. Well personally I don't have a high opinion of Civ beta testers since when they allowed Civ3 multiplayer to come out with the worse setup ever for a LAN (and not only) game and not even configurable / moddable. So well, it's not like the opinion of a beta tester is worth to me anything more than the one of the last Civ newbie himself.

7. DemonDeLuxe

DemonDeLuxe Warlord

Instead you can now land them in an allied city.

It is you. Use the right one of those two bombing buttons, but be aware that airplanes can't attack units that are already at or below half strength, which propbably was the case if it didn't work for you.

Coincidence and subjective feeling. I found that preparing an attack with 6-8 stealth bombers is good enough for most cities.

Turn 1: Bomb down the culture bonus
    Turn 2a: Damage all defenders with collateral damage bombing
    Turn 2b: Get the modern armor rolling
    Turn 2c: "Do you want to raze this city?"

I build them primarily to intercept enemy air attacks - which DOES work. One should have more than just one fighter in endangered cities, however.

Can't fully agree nor disagree with your GPs considerations. But you must admit that they do add a great deal of strategy and also can add to roleplay.
    About wonders I full agree with you, the holy wonders don't even have a real movie to go with...

I don't like the map generation engine at all myself. I found that I now play only "balanced" maps.

I think everyone will agree here. But for this very reason, I am quite positive that a patch or an expansion will improve them.

I love the game too... let's keep these discussions up, because I think this will only help the game to improve. This kind of discussions should be sponsored and not discouraged. Incidentally, the quickest and most useless comments like "n00b" come often from beta-testers. Well personally I don't have a high opinion of Civ beta testers since when they allowed Civ3 multiplayer to come out with the worse setup ever for a LAN (and not only) game and not even configurable / moddable. So well, it's not like the opinion of a beta tester is worth to me anything more than the one of the last Civ newbie himself.[/QUOTE]