??? re Parallels + Civ

Blue Monkey

Archon Without Portfolio
I've finally got a new mac. The 2009 mini core2duo. I want to get xp installed - pretty much all I use my pc for is C3C & dvds. I want to be able to use the editor & some related utilities like bmp2bic & map tweaker. So a couple of questions:

1. Is Parallels still the best choice or should I go with VMware Fusion?
  2. Will I need to partition the drive? Which would mean reinstalling all the mac stuff I guess.
  3. How much room would you estimate I'd need on the XP side for the C3C stuff - including alternate terrain files, etc.
  4. Is anyone aware of problems with installing & running things other than the Conquests Editor & CivAssist? I've got both those threads bookmarked.

1. I use Parallels, though I have licensed copies of both Parallels and Fusion. Fusion used to be slower, but I suspect there's little in it these days, but it also had trouble with Civ4. I have settled on the last one that worked well and so I don't know the current state of Fusion.

2. No partitioning required for Parallels or Fusion. They just use virtual hard drives that are files on your Mac. If you *do* want to partition your drive for other reasons, you can usually do it non-destructively using Drive Utility.

3. Not relevant. A minimal Parallels installation will handle all you need.

4. I use Parallels for some accounting software, Civ3, Civ3Editors, Civ4, and some special purpose database software. No problem with any of it.

Thanks, AlanH. Parallels is cheaper. Not having to reformat the drive is good, since I just transferred about 5-6000 files from the drive in the dead g3. I bought a cheap kvm for the short term, but in the long run I want to get down to one machine.

Top Bottom