1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Reaching for the stars

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Velvet glove, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

While normally I'm perfectly content with a world conquest, doing the fastest possible SV seems to be a renowned challenge and so I thought to learn a little more about it. I'm going to play a slow game, only a little bit at a time, and then post and wait for a day or two before continuing so if anyone wants to make an input they can. The point of this is not so much to find the best play for each moment, but to highlight the general considerations behind decision making when pursuing SV, so any current and future readers can improve their skills in this aspect of the game.

I'm posting it here because the primary goal is to discuss strategy but from the viewpoint of a complete game so it has a more holistic perspective and is more entertaining than if it were merely an abstract discussion. As such this seems to be the right place for it rather than the Let's play section.

Since it would be good to make this as general as possible even thought it has to be a specific civ, I thought that picking a generic one would serve best. Going through the civs Georgia seems a good choice as they have no bias, they have no spectacular strengths and the only peculiarity is that religion and faith are more important than usual, but this seems relatively mild compared to most others. The game settings will be standard - no mods, deity, standard speed, standard map size with 8/12, disasters 2, and standard resources and starting position. For map I'd choose shuffle so that the early decisions have to account for that unknown factor of are we on a big landmass or not and what are the properties of the world, rather than it be clear that we are on a Pangaea therefore a military will certainly be needed, or on a small isolated island and therefore our initial warrior is sufficient.

The plan was to reroll any start that is too good or too bad as the point is not to overcome a poor tundra start or to enjoy the advantage of a wonder or several super tiles, but to learn to play the hand we are dealt and most of the time that hand is average. The first rolled start seems to be just right thought. There are two luxuries but one requires irrigation and there is only one tile of 4 yield. The water situation is questionable but we have both fresh and coastal to choose from. This is a very northern start, there are only 5 rows above the top one we can see.

If all of the above settings sound reasonable, I'll start this game and for now will just post my thoughts on the starting actions but without taking them.

Also, I always play in strategic mode and find it easier to see what's going on, but most screenshots posted here are in 3d mode. Is it better that I post 3d as well? And what's the best practice for images - should they be in spoilers or sized down?

Edit: I replaced the image with a 3d one here because the 3d allows peaking into the void and seeing a bit of the rivers and neighbouring tiles that strategy mode doesn't show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

After thinking about it, this actually seems a sub-standard start because of the lack of good tiles to work. Moving 1 NW to have the ivory in the first ring and settling this turn looks like one of the better options. It doesn't have fresh water but the capital has one extra housing from the palace so it can be ok on coastal only and there are the 2-1 hills within the first ring which are as good tiles as we see here and can be mined.

Another option is to move 2 SW and settle on the cotton next turn. This is fresh water and extra cash but it's uncertain we'll have good tiles to work. Still, we can mine the plains hills and farm the flood plains to achieve a food-production balance and have immediate access to a luxury.

I generally love settling on plains hills, but here the left one has no water at all, and while the right one is both coastal and has fresh water from the river, there is a real shortage of workable tiles there.

Another option is to spend one turn moving north and settle on the river next to the mountain and the ivory, but this takes us very far north and it will probably be tundra there, so I wouldn't do that.

So the first thing I'd do is move the warrior 1SW and then either 1W or 1SW to evaluate if it's worth moving the settler for a turn and settling the cotton or it's better to settle 1NW.

3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

I wouldn't call this sub-standard. I would likely settle 2 hexes due North, so that I can work the Ivory and reach the river with an Aqueduct, and my second city would be destined for right on the Cotton. Start with Animal Husbandry, and if you pop Horses you have all you need for an easy Craftsmanship Inspiration.

4. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

Isn't it better the other way around? Going north will lose a turn now, and for the first settler it will be the same, but because it's taking us closer to the edge of the map all subsequent units and settlers will lose 2-3 turns going to where they need to in comparison. Whereas going south will lose a turn now too, but it will save tempo for later units. And also the flood plains river will make for a much better IZ zone for the capital and a couple of adjacent cities than if it's isolated to the north.

Is having an aqueduct important? Since the tile 1 SE from the ivory is also coastal, between the starting +3, palace, granary, lighthouse and a couple of improvements it will reach +10 easily for rationalism and more doesn't seem needed here as there are no quality tiles - but the advantage is that it doesn't lose a turn and has the grassland hills in the first ring, whereas we'll have to purchase at least one for the second citizen because the first tile to be obtained via culture will be the coastal cotton. Settling there will block the floodplain cotton from being a city location, but it looks likely that there will be a good location for the Temple of Artemis somewhere to the west and it may be worth leaving it as a plantation.

But in any case the time saved for future units obtained from going south seems a very strong argument to do the capital on the floodplain cotton. Even if the warrior doesn't reveal any interesting tiles and we go just on what we see here, starting with the plains hill and switching to the pasture in a few turns with the extra cash compensation from the cotton doesn't sound significantly worse than any of the northern options and has the tempo advantage.

Casualty of war likes this.
  5. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

See? It's a pretty good start. :)

Powerful argument which city to settle first. Thank you for making the map "normal." I thought the riverside Cotton was in Swamp, not Floodplain, and would take two Turns to get there.

It's a start that will make for excellent IZs but early Hammers will be average to poor. If you have an aggressive neighbor, you may be in trouble. I'm probably beelining Horsemen here, but who knows what the Warrior will reveal?

Velvet glove likes this.
  6. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

Let's see what the warrior will reveal :)

Nothing great... Though the rice can be farmed and balances the plains hills which can be mined and there are 5 visible tiles in the first 2 rings that can be improved to yield 4 so altogether it's quite workable. A builder start and mining will make only first turns will suffer from low growth. The hill gives 2 production so the builder will be out fast.

I do like the idea of quick Horsemen if we find horses. There is the religious consideration since this is Deity where religions are snatched quickly and being Georgia a lot of our advantages are tied to a religion, but a religion is a serious commitment and Shuffle from what I've read is 40% fractal which usually ends up Pangaea, 40% continents and 20% island plates so there is a high chance we have neighbours and a successful early rush can pay itself off handsomely. But something to consider. And putting mines on the hills will make a big difference for production so getting mining first also seems attractive.

My initial thought is start with mining as it costs only 25 science and explore while it's in progress to ensure we aren't in the 20% island case and on a small isolated start before committing to horses. But will mull this a bit since this game is about taking the time and learning to evaluate properly.

A question to the experienced SV players: what role do religion and faith play in SV? Are they something that can be ignored or can they help a lot and worth investing in instead of an early military rush?

Re the second move of the warrior, I think if the settler is definitely going south, first move the settler to the hill to reveal the east and unless there is a reason to go that way, continue west with the warrior for the most efficient exploration.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  7. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

Not sure why I was thinking the move south has a tempo advantage compared to 1NW and settle this turn. There are quite a few disadvantages: one turn is lost travelling, the f+p is 8 instead of 9 which loses another 1-2 turns before the builder is out and can bring the tiles up to 4 yield, an extra builder charge will be needed to get all initially worked tiles to be 4 yield, and possibly even cash to purchase the rice if the cattle opens naturally first.

In conclusion the tempo is the same, and the difference is 2-3 turns of growth and production vs having immediately a luxury and +2 gpt. But the luxury matters only at pop 3 or a second city or when there is a civ to sell it to, and by the time any of these happen we'll be able to add a camp on the ivory for exactly the same benefits (though this equalises the need for a builder charge). The +2 gpt meanwhile doesn't compensate for the extra food and production esp. since an extra tile may need to be purchased there. Also good IZ is just as possible from the northern location (updated the image above with a layout). So this is a decision, but before executing let's move the warrior just in case something special is revealed.

Which brings the question of exploration strategies: one option is not to take the warrior too far away from the city and just have it make a circle around. This can help if barbarians show up especially since they be a danger to the first settler. The other option is to go as far as possible trying to map more territory and meet more civs and CSs. The three possible paths I see are W this turn and continue along the river, or SE this turn and continue either SW through the river or SE on the hill. I don't have strong feelings about either option, if I choose now I'd be go to the cotton and then SW as that's probably the fastest way to get far out at a distance where we can meet a CS, and because going on the cotton may reveal an interesting tile that makes it worthwhile for the settler to move south, which is less likely with moving W.

8. Gaonac'h

Gaonac'h Chieftain

I would settle in between pasture and cothon, start with a builder improve pasture, plain hills, rice. Not sure I might also settle between pasture and rice depend on what the warrior see along the river while the settler move.
    You have a desert so you can plan on getting pyramids, usually you don't want to build the governement plaza district in the pyramids city since you want to keep 2 chops for t3 building.
    Religion can be nice for SV but if you are warring heavily it's not that great. Also when warring you can use conquered HS to spread nice belief to your cities: choral music, jesuit education and feed the world.
    Campus bring you more production than industrial zone and aqueduct.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I would settle on the hill 1SE. You will get a fair production start and work a 2 food 3 gold tile. IZ are overrated.
    Builder to build on 2 hills and then go to sea. Scout second as you are starting at snow and really want to look for foreign trade inspiration and political philosophy inspiration as well as just being able to plan next cities. Petra is not to be underrated either.
    You will have to buy grass hill tile but with the extra gold will not take long.
    This strategy is for a small capital that just pumps settlers until later.
    The only probable better location I can see is 1 south from where the warrior is standing. Probably better overall, more hills to mine, chopping in reach and good food so you can swap and change.

The elephant area is just a touch difficult to settle and the other river too unknown.
    Two of your 3 settling points are settling in T4 for not much known value, both mine are 1 turn away.

Play a few different settlements until T30 and see which one pans out best.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

@Gaonac'h That's a nice spot too. You can 3 food first and grow faster. It also guarantees the rice being opened first and allows for a very nice dam flower:

But it suffers from the same problem as the cotton - one turn lost travelling, lower initial yield resulting in more time for the builder and having to use the third charge right away, whereas the NW spot lends itself nicely to two builders - one with mining for the grassland hills and one with AH for the two animals that will also increase the housing just in time, allow both builders to be used as explorers, and has optimal initial production and growth.

@Victoria I had already played and written the below before seeing your post. But I like your idea to try the different variants for 30 turns. The saves are set to 1/all so it's possible to go back to any moment and try alternatives. (saving the previous line of progression first to a different folder so it doesn't get overwritten). The 1SE is indeed nicer than I first thought, it's on the side but still has access to most of the prime tiles. And of course it's both on a river and coast, and has the 2 centre production. But why do you say the elephant area is difficult? The grassland between the settler which I went for can be settled on T1 and has a starting 2-2 tile with 2 more after mines which still makes it the highest starting f+p and no need to purchase. The only weakness is it needs a granary to grow efficiently past 3 pop but assuming two early settlers that won't allow it to grow past that for a while anyway, the higher raw production and no need to purchase tiles, I'm still thinking that it offers the strongest start.

Re sailing builders it's super strong as we discussed in the other thread and I can't wait to send them out, but what do you think about getting Astrology first given Georgia here and Uluru that the warrior found below? Georgia's faith doubling with Monumentality can be very strong and it should be easy to get 3 Golden ages with ease with the normal era points counting in Golden, but declaring the war depends on having suzerainties which would be easier to acquire with a religion though of course making use of that requires spending faith which is much better saved for settlers and builders. It will be a while till a pantheon but River goddess doesn't get taken and there are plenty of rivers here, so Chloral music (which is also a safe belief) + RG will give a significant boost to cities and make TSs almost unnecessary and play well with our civ strengths.

-------------

Time to make the play. I'll go with the NW option for all the reasons described previously, and will choose the direction of the warrior to be such as to complement the one of the first builder. The builder will do two mines on the grassland hills and the quickest way for it to jump into the unknown is the grassland next to the mountain. That means initially west and then south-west exploration for the builder, so to complement that the warrior shouldn't go west as well but south. It can take a SW direction from the cotton which seems the fastest way to cover some distance, and allows a good exploratory direction for the second builder too - after doing ivory and cattle, it's one turn to cotton and can then take E through the desert hill.

This will be the "send the warrior far away" strategy which has caused me barbarian trouble in the past, as it's a bit of a gamble that barbarians won't block the settler. But if that happens it's still possible to use a scout or a slinger to get the settler through and a greater reward requires a greater risk. But I'd be interested to hear opinions on how to use the warrior initially.

Nothing interesting south, so the settler moves north and reveals a nice forested grassland hill before settling. Starting with mining and a builder as planned.

I play the next few turns as there are no strategic choices to be made. The first couple are uneventful, and on T4 the warrior bravely walks into a dust storm and finds a jewel:

We get +3 era score so there is no AI in the immediate vicinity (they've had 3 moves so far). The bottom two deserts have coastal water on the settler lens, and the two marked tiles are water (that's my marking for no-land) because strategic mode clearly shows that the left one has cliffs on both sides. So what are the implications?

This is a great place for culture, just settling it is the equivalent of 2 monuments and will propel us to PP very rapidly. It's desert but the rest of what we've revealed is far from spectacular. With the fertilized tile and a granary it can support a second citizen (which is a third monument), along with a very strong faith output. Coastal means it's possible to add a Harbour and a lighthouse for a good boost of housing, and if there is fish also a great boost of food allowing another 1 or 2 citizens to work the Uluru tiles. There is a spot for a +3 standalone HS too. We are already at 4 era score, and settling will give more, so that's well on the way to a Golden age where the faith can be put to a great use. The one thing I'm not sure what to make of is the storm notice says that 7 tiles were ferlitised but I see only one extra food having been added. Are the rest in nearby tiles?

Given all this faith, the boost to Astrology, Georgia's strengths being symbiotic to a religion including the doubling of the faith output, the lack of a prime food+production spot and the lack of a neighbor so far, I'm inclined to go for a religion but there are still a few more turns before that decision needs to be made. The only choice now is which direction shall the warrior continue in. I'm tempted to peek at the western Uluru tiles but if the builder will be covering the west, it makes more sense to go 1SW and then east.

Quick update as I'll pause here. So this is a bay and it's still possible to continue exploring in both directions but it's probably best to take the hut immediately and this allows the warrior to make a circle and get back in good time if needed. Something I forgot to check before - the water body next to our capital is the Indian Ocean, and this is the Sea of Japan. So it's quite likely to have an Eastern civ to the east. Mt. Kazbek and the rivers are our own. There is still only one line of strategy ahead for the next few turns - explore, get the builder and mine, and use it to explore the west, and start on a settler. The next important choice will be the second tech to research in 5 or 6 turns - probably one of Sailing, Astrology, and AH.

11. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

From here it's possible to continue both left and right but the tribal village is worth spending a couple of turns even when going left because it has a 1 in 4 chance of a great outcome - builder, scout or relic, and the other outcomes can also help a little. I don't expect another unit to be coming here anytime soon (except the settler but it's much better to detour a warrior than a settler) and if there is a civ to the east they can pick it instead. So go there first.

T7. We meet Antioch and get no envoy so there is a nearby civ. It must be in the west because we would have spotted a warrior moving between Kazbek and Uluru. Antioch in on a lake called Qinghai so most likely we have China. Antioch's quest is to trigger Early Empire. We also open the village and get an envoy.

Given a nearby civ, let's evaluate the attack prospects. The terrain seems great for archers - there are hills and rivers to protect them from being reached and giving them some extra defense, and there are few forests and jungles to block their range. 4 archers and 2 warriors should be enough for a war, and with upgrades and Agoge will cost only 120 hammers, or 12 turns for Tbilisi when it reaches size 3. Agoge will take ~20 turns to reach but even if it gives China (assuming it's them) time to get to chariots, they won't have time to build too many and the 60 production saved is huge in our circumstances.

AH + Archery will also take about 20 turns but Archery should not be completed until the slingers are ready and they will take 10, so we can take 10 turns to research something else - Sailing or Astrology. Tying this to production and what can be accomplished in the next 20 turns until Agoge - it's 3 turns for the first builder, then we can do a second builder (9 turns) so we can trigger craftsmanship and get an extra housing from the animals while leaving the builders at 1 charge as explorers. Then both builders can be off to sea to search for a new continent and city states. The remaining ~10 turns can be filled with a settler, and if there is any extra time, a scout is quick to do and can be of great utility, or some production can be put towards a second settler. I'd love to get a religion but even with it our civ strengths are not spectacular so it is not essential and would be a big distraction in this moment. So the first tech will be AH so the second builder can build a camp and a pasture, and next will be Sailing. The first builder will need to explore the land west of Tbilisi first and won't need the Sailing immediately.

Re Antioch, it's not worth putting the envoy immediately because the quest will be completed soon anyway, and we aren't pressed for cash, and its suze bonus isn't great. Even though it will take some time to trigger EE, the difference will be 120-150 cash at most whereas this envoy can be doubled with Diplomatic league or religion (if we are lucky to get one after all) in a much more worthwhile CS. It might be worth conquering later but for now this is not an option because of the walls.

Finally, which way shall the warrior go? The east looks very quiet and the second builder will be taking that direction anyway, while it will be good to meet China asap, explore the terrain and make a more precise invasion plan. And there is the extra possibility to steal a builder or a settler.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You are becoming damn lucky you are not being swarmed by barbs. How can you have fog unexplored so close to your undefended capital?

13. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

It's something I seem to be getting different than many others on the forums. I rarely have big barbarian problems so I happily wing it with the early military most of the time. It does come back to bite me every now and then, mostly with getting a settler locked in the capital for a few turns until I build an escort (then I don't fight the barbs and just try to get the settler to its destination), or when they pillage an early HS. This is unmodded standard GS with all DLC so it's the same game, I don't know what's different.

I'm actually somewhat concerned here about sending the builders into the void. There would be at least 30% chance to lose one of them but some risks need to be taken, often it's possible to run away, and once there is Sailing they'll be much safer.

14. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

And on the very next turn we meet His Imperial Majesty himself, Qin Shi Huang.

• The first impression is -8 but that's not a problem and I won't be sending a delegation since we'll probably be at war soon.
    • Two cities, each with population 1.
    • 18 gpt and 136 in cash, the Chinese Empire is rich compared to our little Georgia. 8 of that is the Deity 80% bonus, 5 comes from palace, 4 from Antioch, and 1 must be coming from a tile.
    • 2.3 culture pt which checks out with their current population. They are 4th so the world is not very cultured yet.
    • 7.2 science and they have the second place in science. Scaled down 32% for deity that makes 5.45. 2 from palace, 1 from population, that leaves a bit more than 2 unaccounted. Have they met a scientific CS? Even in that case and accounting for the palace amenity it adds up to 6.9 leaving it a bit short. But they are definitely getting 2 extra science.
    • 0 faith
    • And the most important stat - 110 military power and they are the world leaders. This is probably the 5 starting warriors and a scout, and they haven't been fighting barbarians yet. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
    Xi'an is further than I expected. The Indian Ocean is probably too far to be named after them, and the Sea of Japan could be too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another Asian civ. The map looks like large landmass Fractal or Continents.

Interesting that Xi'an hasn't grown even though they have a 2-2 tile in the first ring. Tbilisi just made 2 with 2 fpt. The tile they've opened on the second ring could be a low food one but tempting for another reason like a plains forest hill with a resource. It could also be something that provides science so it's that rather than a CS - a fissure or Yosemite (which is the only possible wonder due to culture, faith and it being a land tile; but it can account only for 1 sci because they have only 1 gpt from tile). In any case, the important thing is that Xi'an may be stuck on low growth, and this would help our invasion plans, though if it's due to large production and they have so much science it can still be troublesome.

I'm wondering what to do with the warrior next. Going towards China to map out their second city and see if there is a wandering settler or builder is an option, but we already have the most important information, so it's not essential to continue that way. There are still quite a few turns before the invasion can start during which the warrior can do something else. No barbarians have been spotted yet to deal with. The options are:
    • Go east after all with the idea that there may be a virgin CS there (they tend to be clustered so there may be one or more around Antioch in any direction), and any CS we reach westward will have been greeted by the Chinese already.
    • Go a bit west and then head as deep south as possible before it's time to attack.
    • Go west to explore the Chinese territory and what's between them and Tbilisi to identify a good spot for settling other than Uluru. Having a forward town will save a few turns with the archer upgrades - the first slingers can get there while the latter are built, get upgraded the moment we finish the 4th and attack immediately.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  15. Gaonac'h

Gaonac'h Chieftain

You shouldn't be scare of moving at the start, It's always better to move 2/3 turns to get a better city. Also a food heavy capital can make a good use of Pingala promotions.
    You also have to consider how many chops you got in the first and second ring when settling cities, not only production but also food and gold.
    Getting 2 builders just to explore with 1 charges left is a terrible idea, you are losing a tons of production for very small benefits. With 2 builders you could have 2 very strong cities. If you want to explore early just start with a scout.
    Archery boost is cool, but if you don't have a barb camp nearby just go without it and don't build slingers. A lof of eurekas in the tech trees are not worth hunting.

16. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

I had an interesting thought. China likes to build wonders and they have great science to get to the techs quickly, so why not give them a moment to do so? They might even build the pyramids though the first ring of Xi'an doesn't feature any desert. A later invasion will be more difficult but in the meantime we can get a religion and pick the Crusade belief to make up the difference. They have 0 faith and Uluru is powerful so their cities will be easy to convert. Crusade may even shift the balance to a different strategy altogether. Instead of getting Monumentality, we can get Exodus and be in an extremely strong religious position which can be used for a Crusade conquest. It'd be a more unusual play so that's against the generic goal of this game but it is a more interesting one to try.

17. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

They certainly have their trade-offs but terrible? They are the most versatile early explorers as they can travel both the land and the seas. Send two out in two different directions and you are guaranteed to get the Foreign trade inspiration in good time. There are also often island chains of CSs that remain unspoiled for a while and it's a jackpot if you get one. If they encounter a big continent they can go in or simply not get stuck like galleys might when a CS is blocking the only coastal passage. They are arguably the best tribal village pickers because they can't get the XP boost. When you discount for the two used charges, they are at 2/3rds the price of a scout so they are the cheapest possible unit you can explore it, and it makes up for their slower speed. If you need more city improvements you can always do another builder with the production that you'd have used on a scout otherwise.

Builders do have an Achilles heel which is barb vulnerability, but no one is perfect and I think the advantages more than make up for that.

Re Pingala, do you mean the 15% extra science and culture for the capital bonus CS yields? I thought it doesn't matter so much past the early game for the capital because even if we have all 6 culture and science CSs in the game - that's 24 total extra yield for the capital and 15% of that is just 3.6 so you can put Pingala in any other larger city if it's more appropriate and you don't lose anything significant.

Chops are indeed something I'm not used to considering but you are right that they are important!

18. Gaonac'h

Gaonac'h Chieftain

Scout have more movement point, better vision, a good first promotion, can pillage tiles and can steal civilian units.
    Every builder built escalate the cost of the next one. And you spent production in 2 builders while to only improved 4 tiles in your capital, wich you won't be able work because you will get settlers.
    Also if an AI clear a camp nearby you might get you builder stole by the barb scout.

About governors promotions, you get 3 governors titles early in the game (state workforce/early empire/governement plaza).
    First promotions on Pingala give +1 science/+1 culture for every citizens in the city, it's extremly strong in the early game.
    If you want a classical golden age you can appoint Amani for example, if you want to rush your neigbhors you can put 3 titles in Magnus and chop swordsmen/horsemen (doesn't work against varu).etc...

19. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

That's very true and I missed it in the comparison. I guess I'm thinking of the builders as rapid off-continent explorers and no other unit can fulfill this. I find the information that you get when you meet other civs extremely valuable for planning attacks, and getting it with builders means your military units can go straight for their targets instead of having the big task of exploration first.

4 tiles here isn't wasted because 2 give production, one gives cash and luxury and the last one (cattle) adds +1 housing and it will be worked after not too long too, but I agree with your point in principle.

20. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

Since this is a learning game I did a small experiment. I went through the auto saves and noted down the points each civ had on the score screen. It wasn't possible to always correlate which civ in one turn corresponds to which in another because they are ordered by score and not named, but it was possible to derive some interesting information.

For example I was wondering if China's science could be coming from Yosemite. It cannot, because they don't have the necessary era score to have discovered and settled next to a wonder. There is only one civ that started next to a wonder because they have 3 points on T1 whereas everyone else has 0, and them I was able to track fully and know that they settled on T2 and still have only 1 town of 1 pop. For China I can certainly tell that they settled on T1 so if they had been working their 2-2 tile they would have grown to 2 this turn too, and I know that settled their second city on either T5 or T6.

I don't know how useful this info can be in civ6, in other 4x games small details like this can reveal important info about their military and what you need to succeed in a war. It takes some work to track so it's not for a casual game, but if people go to extremes to get the best score, this is a small thing in comparison.