Reactionary Defense Force approval poll

Do you an national Reactionary Defense Force?(RDF)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
before voting in this poll i suggest you read the thread this poll is based on, made by our ingenious Minister of Defense deputy Ranger99. the thread is here
since i felt an immediate poll was needed i skipped a discussion thread and went straight to the poll. it is vital that i get a citizen consensus ASAP. Ranger99's plan can make or break the future military defense of Fanatikos. i will also allow this thread as a discussion thread, but feel free to post in Ranger99's orginal thread. because of my concern and i would assume most citizen's concerns on losing our valuable workers, if this poll's results yield a majority of yes, implement the RDF and commence creating it, it will include only building units affiliated with it. i would like to hold off creating outposts until more discussion takes place and officials and citizens have more of chance to talk.

A brilliant plan, but what about if the AI attacks in multiple fronts? We will need lots of soldiers and separated defensive divisions, and that will cost money :(. I won't vote for now, I am still hoping this can be more carefully discussed in the future.

Well, you've hit the nail on the head, that's the weakness to this exact plan, the main idea behind the gamble here, is that our land area is so small that the AI has only one viable Point of Attack from thier location, and of course the AI's legendary stupidity...They never seem to attack from many fronts for me at all...but it may happen.

Of course if we ever get into multiple wars at once our recationary force will need to be re-fitted and the RDF loses some of its pizzaz when it comes to facing enemies on mulitple fronts. Thtat's wh ythe Ministery of Defense and the Ministery of Foriegn Affairs must work well together, as we rely on them to complete and solidify my plan.

-Ranger-

Minimal discussion, minimal details.

Too early for this decision to be made, we have to time to at least TALK about what's going on.

-- Ravensfire

Yes, we need a solid discussion thread, second Ravensfire there.

:bump: xcl...

The plan looks nice, and I agree with the setup, but is still too vague for a poll I think. For example, it seems to involve anywhere from 5 to 24 units...

I wrote a bunch of stuff and then thought, why not just keep it simple like Ravensfire did. Too little detail, too much of a hurry.

Spoiler long version :

Apology in advance for being very blunt... ;)

This poll breaks a core principle of DemoGame polling. The option being voted on really must be at least defined in the poll itself, otherwise the voters cannot make an informed decision. Should we create a RDF is a meaningless question if RDF is an undefined term. Personally, I can guess what it means from my previous involvement in discussions on similar functions, but that may not be true of more casual citizens.

While this is an important decision which does need to be made fairly soon, the units which would be assigned to this force have not been trained yet. That leaves enough time to be diligent on the proposal itself, and put the details into the poll itself where there can be no question what the poll means.

I have to say that there just isn't enough precision. While I like the idea of creating a mobile defense, I would like to see more discussion about the exact numbers of this effort. To say that each force would have 1-3 artillery units is one thing, but to say we are going to have one or two forces could possibly be the difference of a dozen units. Also, what would be the exact numbers for defenders in our cities?

While I appreciate the idea of a mobile defense force, I couldn't support only one force to defend all of Fanatikos. I can't buy the "we only need one force because an enemy rarely attacks from multiple sides." A Persian scout force could be viewed as a threat, distract our only force, and suddenly a Roman or German force could go after Civatonia.

Even if we do not go to war within the next years, the general unrest of the world means we will still need a military buildup. This gives us plenty of time to discuss whether that military will be used for mostly preparing for a future war, or just for defending, and in this time we should prepare a more concise plan.

Perhaps if polls in the next few days show a disaproval for joining the the war soon, then this plan can be revised to be more specific, including thoughts on total size of forces, total size of stationary forces in cities, and templates for using these RDF's in wars declared upon us (would all RDF's be thrown into the war? Would one stay behind for sneak attacks? Would the RDF's split / combined in traveling to enemy territory? )

Edit:

I will also post my main concerns in the discussion thread to continue this discussion there.

the problem is either we go to war with germany or make the RDF. We don't have the production capability

i started this poll after i read ranger99's thread and before the war with germany hype. therefore i realize i made a rash decision. i would like more discussion to go on in Ranger99's thread, while a lot of ideas have been put forth, few people have actually participated. after the war with germany, i will see where the discussion has gone, hopefully a higher participation level is obvious, i will then procced to create a more official poll.
- Minister of Defense, vikingruler

Top Bottom