1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Reagan the Racist.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

"Democrats are the party of racism", I type on my computer, "and non-white voters are all just too stupid to see it! That's why they vote for the Democrats!"

Phrossack, Arwon and Birdjaguar like this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Racism can get complicated, but in US politics (until recently) it meant that a person was actively anti black or Hispanic and tried to limit the influence or actual participation of those people into the mainstream of American life. White supremacists are a more extremist version of that racism. With the rise of Trumpian influence and the naming of his followers and Republicans in general as racist for their actual behavior, the racists are trying to turn the tables and redefine the previous generally accepted definition, to name those who oppose racism against blacks and Hispanics as anti white racist. It's the "We are no different than you." defense. By lumping racism into the same category as arrogance and hypocrisy they hope to make it a natural human trait. It is not. It is hate and ignorance based on a long history of hate and ignorance pure an simple. Are there black or Hispanic people who hate whites? Sure, but their reasons for feeling that way are not rooted in the the same cultural patterns that has fueled white racism for hundreds of years. The "get whitie" movement of the 60s and 70s was in response to the white resistance to changes pushed by the civil rights movements of the times.

Like so many other efforts, this is just an attempt to normalize bad behavior and make it OK to be hateful.

klar_heiland likes this.
  3. Patine

Patine Deity

I don't buy that ALL racism in the United States by Black or Hispanic against Whites is PURELY based on cultural and historical reaction, and nothing else of substance. I believe that's garbage, and allows a lot of crimes in the U.S. that SHOULD be hate crimes to NEVER be labelled as such, and has such venom-spitting groups as the Black Panthers, Nation of Islam (who are NOT Moslems, by the way), Gods and Earths, and others not being labeled as hate groups, or only ever done so reluctantly and with qualifiers.

4. Birdjaguar

If you read my post, I said that in US politics racism has had a pretty steady definition over time. I did not say that there were not non white hate groups. I agree that all hate crimes should be labeled as such. But in your post above, you were trying to normalize hate and label democrats racist just like Republicans. You were saying hate is just like being hypocritical blah blah blah. That is not the same as identifying all hate groups who support violent acts against those they hate. It seems that now you have retreated to a safer position of "oh I really meant left wing extremist hate groups." You should figure out what you are talking about.

5. Patine

Patine Deity

"We think what we have here is a failure to communicate."

Basically, I think you misunderstand my two posts from the start and are trying arbitrarily "fill in the blanks" where you're unclear, but doing so as though you're pretty sure you know I was saying. The fact is, you obviously don't, but presented yourself as though you did.

6. Birdjaguar

Please explain it to me then. :)

7. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Democrat drip-feed poor African-Americans money from the public treasury and ensure that their real problems (poor family structure, violent culture) never get addressed in order to keep them as a voting block. There was a lot of pushback in the 90's from Republicans against violent rap music, but they were curiously also called racist for it. So clearly there is no way to avoid the charge without accepting the idea of permanent wealth transfer (talk of reparations for slavery is just another tool to distract blacks and keep them poor and miserable).

I can think of many parallels in colonialism (e.g. opium trade in China).

Moderator Action: Racist conspiracy theories have no place at CFC. ~ Arakhor
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
  8. Patine

Patine Deity

Oh, so the closest thing to racism against African-Americans any Republican has ever been guilty of is criticizing the violence of rap music? Give me a break, and take your poorly-done, insulting to the intelligence, ridiculous, and bad cliched revisionist history back to your echo chambers where your preaching to the (very toxic and warped) choir.

9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Nah, Mouthwash, Lexicus beat you. You can just acknowledge he scored a rhetorical victory. You literally cannot counter his snark without affirming his snark. Your position is that Democrats tricked them, and that you're smart enough to not be tricked.

10. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I am rhetorically defeated? Oh woe.

It's also pretty rich that someone who thinks all ethnic groups are deluded about their existence would defend the self-understanding of African-Americans who want welfare.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  11. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Only if you fall for the rhetorical trap, which you did. It's a rhetorical trap!

12. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

“As you can imagine,” Nixon confided in Rogers, “there’s strong feeling that we just shouldn’t, as [Reagan] said, he saw these, as he said, he saw these—” Nixon stammered, choosing his words carefully—“these, uh, these cannibals on television last night, and he says, ‘Christ, they weren’t even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,’ and so forth and so on.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

Just in case we are hijacking the thread. Reagan was in his heart a classic racist. That is important.

13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Arwon likes this.
  14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Moderator Action: This thread is supposedly about Ronald Reagan being racist. Anyone else being racist will face the consequences of their actions.

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

It's funny to me how a lot of white people are acting all surprised at this

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Reagan was a monster whose utter ignorance of even the most basic facts about Aids/Hiv helped enable generations of suffering in America alone, his legacy should be spat upon and anyone who still lionizes him should have the facts shoved into their faces about who he really was; a disgusting human being who deserves to be in hell if hell exists.

17. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

In hindsight it is not surprising, but it is important that is was a fact and changes the complexion of his legacy.

I mean you just kind of put my dad in hell because he was ignorant on the facts. I think this is harder to parse morally than you give it credit for, but we've disagreed on this type of thing pretty often.

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I understand your point.

19. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I don't think Reagan had the intellectual heft to be a racist. If there is one thing contemporary profiles of him indicated, it was that the man just regurgitated back whatever was stuffed into him, after running it through his movie-filter.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1980/10/looking-at-reagan/307256/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/why-edmund-morris-couldnt-capture-reagan/590353/

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

White people pretty much just need to go with the flow to be racist. It doesn't require any particular intellectual heft.

This doesn't change my opinion of Reagan in the slightest.