1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Eurekas (vanilla, R&F) 2.6

With 250+ new Eurekas that are randomly assigned each game will look different

1. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Steam mods are in Steam installation dir under workshop, not in Mods.

2. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

NQ UI also has its own version of tech tree that will override game's files.

3. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

@Leyrann great comments, thx
    Invisibility - well, like I said, quick & dirty, totally missed those 2 places you mentioned :)
    Admiral & TRs - thx for pointing this out
    Settler - yeah, I noticed that too. The game considers an existing unit as trained. But it's not that bad - you have 20% to get it, consider yourself lucky :) anyway, i might use 'have 2 settlers' maybe. It's tougher, but really means that you are building an empire.
    5 barbs - strange. I tested it and it worked, same as 3 barbs. Maybe it counts a barb camp additionally? Ah, btw, the counter goes from the game start. It's not reset when you get a boost. So, later e.g. I put even kill 20 barbs as trigger.

4. Saacool

Saacool Chieftain

as much as I like the idea, in practice its really cumbersome to deal with some of the eurikas, instead of having more specific requirements (not to mention when the same eureka comes up multiple times) maybe be more broad with a few of them, instead of requiring wine, or marble, maybe count any mines/plantations over luxuries and require more then one if that makes the eureka too easy to obtain

5. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

@Saacool A) There are triggers like this, too. B) who said that one event cannot inspire scientist to invent couple of things? C) the difficulty of this mod lies NOT in triggers but in EXPLANATIONS. Please do tell what tech or civil could be triggered by building a plantation over cocoa? D) being broad means that your options end quickly. 1 mine? Ok. 2 mines? Ok. 3 mines? Ok. And then you get bored. Maybe 5? Ok. So, you have got 4 triggers. Only 581 to go... yes. In total there needs to be 585 triggers for all techs/civics to have 5 different options to choose from.

6. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

I looked into this and:
    a) Admiral - yeah, it seems that before Celestial Nav there's no way to earn any GA points, so I will remove it
    b) Trade Routes - actually, you can have more than 1 TR without Currency - you need Harbors which come with CelNav, parallel to Currency. So this is actually a very good example how boosts can affect your strategy. If you settled on the coast you might wanna build Harbor before CommHub, so you will have 2 TRs needed for Currency.

7. anansethespider

anansethespider Chieftain

So here's my situation: I'm not just adding boosts for my new techs/civics, I'm also adding to the ones you've already done for existing techs/civics to combo with new districts/buildings/units/etc. For instance, I've added a boost to Machinery that is "Build a Forestry Quarter". This is only possible by loading all of my database updates before I run the lua functions you created, at least as far as I can tell.

What I'm using from your work is your Randomizer function, and all of the infrastructure from the other lua (though I am replacing 50% of the content, and adding a bunch more of my own on top of it).

8. anansethespider

I've already added about a hundred new boosts and have finished re-mapping all the techs/civics from ancient through medieval. So it really doesn't do me any good to run the randomizer with the database from Real Eurekas, because I'm just going to re-randomize everything anyway with a completely different set of boosts assigned to each tech/civic.

This different set of boosts draws on the new ones you created as well as the new ones I've created on top of it. It's the exact same structure as the mod you created, but with vastly different content in the tables. The only reason to include the dependency would be symbolic, to make sure people know that it's coming from you and not me. And I would be totally fine with that symbolic function if it didn't seem to be adding to the (already substantial) workload during load times.

9. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Ok, I understand now better. I agree that it doesn't make sense to REUR run in the first place, because you have a new expanded set of boosts that use e.g. your new objects. Quite a rework you did, I must say... In this case you can use the code and data structures, just a) give credits in mod description and b) in places where it is feasible, put a link to the Real Eurekas mod (e.g. in Steam description or CivFanatics mod homepage).

10. anansethespider

You made it really easy for me!! Whenever I needed to add a new boost I just inserted a line into your table and multiplied by 10. So between 360 and 361 is now 3601, 3602, etc. So thanks again, looking at the code I felt like an earth scientist looking at an alien artifact that changed my entire understanding of science :D

I will make sure the attribution is everywhere I can put it, I promise!! And of course, your other mods (so far Great People and Disasters) will be linked to and referenced directly (which is always how I prefer to go!)

Thanks much, can't wait to see what you come out with next.

11. João VIII

João VIII Chieftain

Infixo, first of all, great idea to bring randomization of eurekas! Do you plan to add the hiding of eurekas (for both science and culture) to the main mod downloadable from steam in the near future? That would be fantastic! I'm so addicted to min-max with respect to the visible eurekas that I feel I'm being driven away from a more "natural" playstyle. Anyway, keep the good work ;)

12. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

13. João VIII

João VIII Chieftain

Ok. Anxiously waiting for the update!

14. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

15. João VIII

João VIII Chieftain

16. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

17. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

18. anansethespider

I'm passing along a report to you, that both the Real Eurekas mod as well as my adaptation of it seem to be causing desyncs in multiplayer. Just making you aware of the report, not complaining myself :D

19. João VIII

João VIII Chieftain

It seems that in my playthrough I got the boost for currency when I met the 6th civ (france) and not the 5th city state as in the boost description. Other than that all seems working :)

Edit: also got the boost for celestial navigation when founding the third city at coast, but the boost text says just "found a city on coast"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  20. Infixo

Infixo Warlord