1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Real Life" Strategy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Skydance, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Skydance

Skydance Chieftain

I caught this comment from ControlFreak:

I plan to reinstall civ when I convince my better half that sitting next to her with a laptop while she watches American Idol IS considered "Quality Time"

I don't know if anyone's suggested it or not, but if you're really serious about making time for Civ, here's an arrow for your quiver:

Help clean up after dinner.

It might take 10 minutes, or it might take 30 ... depends if you use an automatic dishwasher or not. Get her to tell you what to do (don't take no for an answer) and the key: really talk to her about her day while you're doing it. Find out what's going on in her life, who she saw while she was out shopping, what's going on in her favorite soap opera, who she had to chew out at work ... pretty much anything you can get her to talk about.

If this is a 10 minute job (including cleaning up babies, if you have a young one that can't clean itself), then try to keep the conversation going afterwards. It doesn't have to be 30 minutes every night, but think of it as investing Worker turns in your marriage. 30 minutes spent here, right after dinner, will give huge benefits later in the evening. "Quality Time" is another word for Communication. Watching TV for a couple of hours often falls short of the mark (particularly if you don't like the same sorts of shows).

Once we've established our Communication Pump (usually complete by 700PM or 730PM), a lot of options become open. If you're tired, you can fort yourself in a chair somewhere and spend 30 minutes playing with the kids (assuming you have any). Let the kids do most of the work, picking the game and explaining how to play it, or reading a book.

If you're feeling a little more aggressive, build some Warrior Points by doing something small out of the job jar, like testing smoke alarms, changing a few light bulbs, or nailing down a loose stair step. Occassionally, an Opportunity Target will be revealed during your earlier trade talks.

With careful management (and practice ... no one is an expert the first time they play, no matter how many threads they've seen!), you'll soon find your hours from 8:00 to bedtime are your own 4 days out of the week, and your wife and children will be happier.

Finally, remember that every game is unique, with unique challenges and opportunities. Be flexible. Don't decide that this game will be Space Race, and pass up a perfect opportunity for a 100k victory. A real life Deity has mastered all the game types, and is ready to jump on the most appropriate game plan, regardless of his preferred style.

Mind you, I've never been married. I have been around the block once or twice, however, and I think these suggestions speak for themselves regardless of my personal experience. The most important thing is to approach it like you did the day you installed vanilla Civ: you won't play well your first game, and you might not even win ... but it's worth taking the time to master it. You married her, right?

2. Randy

Randy Chieftain

Yes, but if she beats you to writing watch out. This gives a wife the abilty to make honey do lists.

3. Kronis

Kronis Chieftain

No good. I'm basically captive because mine discovered currency first and thusly controls all the finances and household budgeting.

4. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

Right, I did.
    Nice post. I have been in the middle of such a nice game for 5 years now, and my civilization has definitely entered a Golden Age, one that will last for more than 20 years. Your strategy is basically sound.
    However, what you say about experience is true. This is the second time I play this game, my first attempt convinced me that I had to adjust my gamestyle a bit...

5. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

A honey to do list is a really good thing!:lol: I will explain that with this analogy: let's say that you are a great boss.:cool: Surely you must have a great secretary that organize your daily work schedule or your daily "to do" list, right? ;)

6. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

At last, the kind of tips I've been after since I started playing this variant just over a month ago! :thanx:

Oh, and here's a really cool tip for Cultural flipping:
    Ensure a copy of Civ is installed on your SO's PC [Edit: I have been asked to inform you all that it is a PowerBook G4, not a 'PC'. Whatever. It needed a different version of Civ, which was my excuse at the time - and what's an extra $39.99 when your plastic is getting shelled out for something like that, eh?]. Given time, they may just get curious.

Neil. :cool:

7. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

I've been getting mixed results. Several times I went for the early Domination victory, and only won twice.....

8. miller4242

miller4242 BassMaster

ROTFLMAO

I wish I could go back to my single days and go for a new Conquest victory every night at the bars....

but, I lost to an early domination victory....

9. RFHolloway

RFHolloway Analyst in the UK

Fortunately for me, my civilisation has the industrious trait, so after putting the kids to bed and cooking and clearing up, I can spend some time with her, and I can still play from 11pm to 12:30, after she goes to bed.

(I then sleep on the train to work the following morning!)

10. Paradigne

Paradigne Chieftain

I'd be happy if I could find another civ worth conquering <sigh>

11. chucknra

chucknra Chieftain

Well, I for one don't get enough playing time. I pop-rushed a settler 5 weeks ago but I can't send her out yet without a spearman to protect her. I've got the spearman in production and it should be ready in about 18 years.

12. KabeDerlin

KabeDerlin Chieftain

There are way too many epithets going on in the thread...

13. danz

danz BA in Micro Management

Well, pretend you started on a 80% water archipelago map. Whether seafaring by nature or not, you must establish those contacts, or everyone else will be building Dance Club improvements and having We Love to Party days when you're still researching Mathematics all by yourself :)

14. earthguido

earthguido Chieftain

I found that trading is the best solution, as always. I help cleaning after dinner, and even do dish washing sometimes, this will give me some reputation points. But the key is: I play a couple of hours during the week, and try to find a clear spot in the weekends to make the difference (when she is cleaning the apartment, or in the gym, or studying for her job). The only thing you need to take care of is: when she asks a question, pay attention. And never ever answer "huh?, did you say something". This would be as declaring war. :gripe:

I do not even turn the computer on if I do not have at least 1-2 full hours to play. If you have only 30min free and she sees you are preparing for a "quick 5 turns" instead of coffe + biscuits + chat, you're history. Show her that you care, this will pay for itself in the future. :thumbsup:

Another tip: play when she is asleep (@RFHolloway, I do the same)

15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Chieftain

I recently obtained the 'Interior Decorating' great wonder for my SO. ;) It does wonders for overall happiness!

16. miller4242

miller4242 BassMaster

haha

Another great wonder to get for your civ is the "Platinum Card" wonder. True, you have to micromanage to maximize your gpt and your lux rate, but at least your approval rating will be close to 100% ;)

17. Madroc

Madroc Researching: Code of Laws

For a while I was always gifting Wine and Incense to keep her at Gracious, but I finally just traded Gems for ROP & MPP. Much better investment ;)