Real Marathon Mod

Real Marathon Mod 0.4.1

musixhine

Chieftain
musixhine submitted a new resource:

Real Marathon Mod - Marathon game with more wars and more fun.

Play Marathon game in Historical Speed. More wars, more discovery, less building/city spam in early era.

I test-played many times. You can play many nice big scaled wars, and city development feels real since I kept buildings and wonders cost.

Marathon speed with more wars! Reduced base cost for melee and ranged land units. Reduced a little for mounted (including tanks). And normal cost for naval and air units. Also, higher upkeep for units (but not recons), so you need a strong economy and industry to support a stronger army. Otherwise you are like North Korea where there are only cheap units. Also buildings, settelers, and wonders cost as same as it should be (original speed). So yeah it feels real!

Please try it out.

---Instruction---

1. Subscribe.

2. When start a new game, use "advanced setup", then choose the ruleset "Real Marathon".

3. Have fun!

4 (optional). Let me know your thought about this mod, and either leave a comment or email to musixhine@gmail.com.

5 (required). Let more people know :)

---v 0.3 features---

1. Reduced districts cost.

2. Added support for all new DLCs!

3. Fixed ruleset bug.

4. Blance tuning.

---v 0.2 features---

1. Add "ruleset". Now need to go to "advanced setup" and choose the ruleset "Real Marathon"

2. Stretched the game pace. Techs/Civis take longer time to finish, and will take even longer as the era progresses.

3. Great People are harder to get.

4. Now major civs start with "Scout(s)" instead of "Worrier(s)"

Please let me know your thoughts about the mod, and I will try my best to make it real!

My email: musixhine@gmail.com

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
1. Add "ruleset". Now need to go to "advanced setup" and choose the ruleset "Real Marathon"

2. Stretched the game pace. Techs/Civis take longer time to finish, and will take even longer as the era progresses.

3. Great People are harder to get.

4. Now major civs start with "Scout(s)" instead of "Worrier(s)"

This sounds really awesome. Extended research times, progressive cost increase to research, and increased unit maintenance... all great... with an interesting addition of easier to produce units.

Hope to try this out soon.

This is exactly the mod i have been waiting for but cant get it to work, ticked the box Real Marathon on Additional Content but theres only standard rules on ruleset :~(

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! Sorry this is still version 0.2 so there must be bugs :p. Would you like to tell me what DLC's you have installed? I only tested with all DLC's are on.
Also I will make sure the one I uploaded is the one on steam workshop. I know that one is working fine. I will get back to you tomorrow.

This is exactly the mod i have been waiting for but cant get it to work, ticked the box Real Marathon on Additional Content but theres only standard rules on ruleset :~(
Hi there,
I verified that the mod I uploaded was correct, and it works with any DLC. Do you use any IM services? We can chat and toubleshoot together. I am still working on this mod.

Also I tested the mod many times. So Much Fun!!!

Hi there,
I verified that the mod I uploaded was correct, and it works with any DLC. Do you use any IM services? We can chat and toubleshoot together. I am still working on this mod.

Also I tested the mod many times. So Much Fun!!!
Thanks for your reply aswell and sorry for my late one.
I think v0.2 did it for me! starting with scout instead of warrior, and right after establishing capital it takes 12 turns for monument and only 3 for slinger, this is correct building turns right?
Thanks again for taking your time making this mod and helping out, now im gonna play a long but eventful game on a giant map :)

Edit: Im still not able to change ruleset from standard rules to real marathon so could you please confirm if its working anyway by the building times I mentioned.

Thanks for your reply aswell and sorry for my late one.
I think v0.2 did it for me! starting with scout instead of warrior, and right after establishing capital it takes 12 turns for monument and only 3 for slinger, this is correct building turns right?
Thanks again for taking your time making this mod and helping out, now im gonna play a long but eventful game on a giant map :)

Edit: Im still not able to change ruleset from standard rules to real marathon so could you please confirm if its working anyway by the building times I mentioned.
Hi there,
I just updated it to 0.3, and it's gonna be better and better~ please try it out~

Played this mod a tad ..... reducing the units' price is a really good idea. But why buildings are still that expensive (read - long to construct)? It's not normal, that it takes several hundred years of in-game time to cunstruct a Water Mill :))
My vision here is as follows: science and social development are really slow processes. Construction of buildings and training of units, however, aren't that slow IFRL and should be faster in the game as well.

Played this mod a tad ..... reducing the units' price is a really good idea. But why buildings are still that expensive (read - long to construct)? It's not normal, that it takes several hundred years of in-game time to cunstruct a Water Mill :))
My vision here is as follows: science and social development are really slow processes. Construction of buildings and training of units, however, aren't that slow IFRL and should be faster in the game as well.
For the balancing purpose it must be slowed down.
It also takes a couple of hundred years in game to train troops, do that make sense IRL?

For the balancing purpose it must be slowed down.
It also takes a couple of hundred years in game to train troops, do that make sense IRL?

That's exactly what I am talking about - wouldn't it be better to limit the unit and building production economically, i.e. by upkeep cost, instead of stretching their production in time beyond any reasonable limit? Id est ANY building in the city and ANY unit shall have upkeep cost - but also all this IMHO shall be built way faster (reasonably faster, of course). Or / and - training any unit could require population. Not entire 1 of this per unit, of course. Not sure, if there are fractional values of population in this game, but if they are - this could (not sure, if would) be a good solution.

This mod sounds like a good idea, but isn't the increased maintenance cost combined with cheaper units crippling the AI extremely hard? As far as I know, the AI tends to build as many units as they're able to, while they're also notoriously bad at making money.

Hi, I love this mod... it makes everything more interesting... any chance you can find a way to make it compatible with Rise and Fall???

Hi, I love this mod... it makes everything more interesting... any chance you can find a way to make it compatible with Rise and Fall???

I agree, a definite must have, was one of the first mods I checked for after the update.

Top Bottom