1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real or imagined threats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dekker, Dec 7, 2019.

1. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I would hope that more moderate conservatives and more moderate liberals would both be the types who would be malleable to change their position on certain topics. We all probably have a few values we aren't letting go of (for me, they're basically summed up in the Bill of Rights), but I'd like to think that there can be a little change/progress in both directions.

But just to share my perspective, while there are a great number of people here who seem to at least attempt to be polite, there's also several more who are absolutely and obviously consumed by hatred. If you're going into a conversation with someone and have already decided that they are a ghoul or jerk or whatever else, then how willing are you really to listen?

TheCleanerDragon likes this.
  2. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

It's all projection from them, they talk about accountability and what not but when confronted with what they are and who they support they shy away.

3. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Conservative/Republican policy has raped and hollowed out this country, destroyed generations of the LGBTQ community, condemned PoC to the prison pipeline and taken away what little support the poor have.

That you aren't willing to acknowledge that reality isn't my fault, perhaps you should work on it.

cardgame and MaryKB like this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The distinction doesn't mean a great deal anymore, so maybe this is a pretty ineffective clarification, but the phrase "GOP" was always presented as the hardliners. Maybe it's a British lack of understanding thing (as I'm a Brit), and inaccurate on my part.

Regardless, my main point is that you support the party and / or consider it a necessity. Said party literally opposes Cloud's existence. Maybe you don't hold any ill will, but you need to understand that you support a party that definitely does. And for as long as you support that party, for whatever reason, a small part of the associated cost is LGBTQ folks (generally, some political examples aside) opposing you on principle. Because the party you support opposes them, and has the power to do something about that (and already is).

cardgame, Cloud_Strife and MaryKB like this.
  5. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

It really doesn't matter what you claim to believe when you vote for a party that does those things. If you put them in power then you're responsible for what they do. You don't get to just wash your hands and say "Those aren't the parts I supported when I voted." You vote for the whole package deal.

When you vote Republican, you're voting to strip women of our rights to our own bodies. You're voting to dehumanize LGBTQ+ prople. You're voting to suppress minorities. You're voting for cruelty and authoritarianism. You're voting to enable the rich to exploit the poor.

Any protestations you don't support these things are hollow: you support them all with your vote. Remember that "actions speak louder than words."

Gorbles, Cloud_Strife and Lexicus like this.
  6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Yeah but Gorbles, we effectively only have two parties here, so there's going to be a broad spectrum of personalities and things the people within it do or don't support. I feel like you almost might be compelled to paint with a very wide brush because such a very wide group all kind of congregates in one party or the other. So when you or cloud say things like "said party literally opposes Cloud's existence" it really doesn't resonate with me. Maybe the worst people in the party do, and they get the publicity, but it's by no means universal.

Then please, by all means, hurry the heck up and become perfect yourselves, because you are not. I judge your party's imperfections to be generally "worse" than mine, and so does nearly half the country.

7. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

What di Democrats do that's "worse" than the things I mentioned above?

See, you're really starting to admit you really don't have a problem with evil.

cardgame likes this.
  8. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

They try to restrict free speech, they try to restrict the right to bear arms, and they judge a person's worth on superficial things like race or gender. They tell people they can't do things, and that hope is gone unless someone else does things for them.

Also, I fundamentally disagree with you that your take on abortion is correct. I just agree you're the more practical.

Tristan_C likes this.
  9. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

No, the party does. Its uppermost members, and the policies it enacts, reflect this. It's not painting with any brush. You are voting for the party that is rolling back protections afforded to disadvantaged minorities (like LGBTQ folks). That is the party line. Your vote is an action, that action has consequences.

I don't care if the party you support does things that don't resonate with you. It's party policy. I was trying to explain that that is apparently an acceptable price for you to pay, because you dislike the inconveniences of the other major party (or supporting independents, which while ineffective in the grand scheme of things, would still be a way to be moral and political). People are going to judge you based on that, and you're complaining about it because they're "rude". You're voting for a party that wants them castrated, in jail, or dead. Deal with the consequences of that.

cardgame and Cloud_Strife like this.
  10. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Your opinion is immaterial to the fact that they are opposed to my existence.

We have historical records, their own words and actions as well as their close association with anti LGBTQ bigots that prove they are anything but accepting of my existence.

So when you say "it doesn't resonate with me" what I'm going to say is that your opinion does not matter because it does not comport with reality. Maybe you should work on that

11. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

What exact law or policy supports castrating, killing, or jailing a person just because they're gay? I'd really like to help you stop that.

Right now, the only people I'm aware of who want to be able to make a decision to castrate someone else are parents of minor children.

12. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I'm sure it's just a conspiracy that many minorities and groups despise the GOP, nothing to think about, reflect upon or change.

13. Narz

Narz keeping it real

IIRC there are laws like that in the Middle East & parts of Africa.

14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Interestingly the GOP has more in common with them then their liberal counterparts; both have a great deal of animus towards women and LGBTQ communities

15. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Careful, Narz. That's "their culture."

16. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'd find it more interesting if you'd help me find the law you're concerned about here so I can help you do something about it.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Thank you.

My quick take on the first article is I'm confused how that is even constitutional. I will oppose this.

The second article (about parents sending their kids off to be "rehabbed") I disagree with, though I'm not sure it's really any different than a parent initiating a transition for a minor. Kind of seems like the same concept at extreme different ends of the issue.

I support the GOP approach in the third article. They should argue for the publication l. But I also support Amazon's right to refuse as an independent business.

19. Dekker

Dekker Prince

Lol yes just brown people and cultures hate the gays.

20. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

The only way you can help is by not voting or supporting the GOP but we both know you won't so why bother