1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real or imagined threats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dekker, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

@JPetroski

Conversion therapy is a very difficult topic to source effectively, because the implementation both has a range of methods and also because getting accurate information from the traumatised people put through it is also difficult. It is the complete opposite of transitioning.

I'm surprised at your support for the third article. Surely the government influencing the publication of a novel (nevermind the contents, which are a whole other bucket of nastiness) is a big no-no? Government overreach is usually one of the few things that unite a lot of political folks in places like this one (OT, just to be clear).

But again, you can fight individual things, or argue individual cases (like the two I linked), but why not vote for an independent? Is the spectre of Democratic policies really worth the kind of things I'm showing you here?

2. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Reagan and his administration condemned millions to an avoidable death and suffering because his rotten senile infant brain couldn’t comprehend that LGBTQ people are equal

3. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

My point was more that it's dangerous to point out the failures of any non-western society.

4. Dekker

Dekker Prince

Do share the exampkes where free speech has tried to been restricted? Your party is the one that refuses to speak to the media and lies on a daily basis.

Also, for one so against political correctness and in support of free speech, you seem to take a lot of issue with certain words being used that you find, uh, problematic.

5. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I didnt vote for Trump. I wrote in Ron Paul. And I guess maybe I read the second article differently. I saw it as a group of people complaining that another group was trying to censor a book.

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Oh I don't care what someone calls me. You guys have a ball. I'm just amused by how tolerant you all think you are.

As for the examples about restrictions on free speech, look no further than the average response when Jordan Peterson or Ben Shapiro try to speak somewhere. Or in fact the very issue that propelled Peterson to fame.

7. Dekker

Dekker Prince

Just like it's dangerous for me to point out the flaws in your reasoning here without you thinking that I'd be accusing you and Narz of being racists.

As in, there's no actual danger, as I'm not, and no one would legitimately think you are if you legitimately were pointing out the failures of non white countries, but obviously Narz was just making an ignorant comment seeing there's several white countries equally barbaric to their gays (except Russia, there's no gays there) and your defensiveness is based on the typical outrage you conservatives have to deflect and brush and off any criticism.

Cloud_Strife and MaryKB like this.
  8. Dekker

Dekker Prince

So Democrats are trying to make laws to jail people who use the wrong pronoun?

Cloud_Strife and MaryKB like this.
  9. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm not at my computer but theres a quote in this article explaining that a person who repeatedly refused to use a preferred pronoun might, in fact, be jailed.

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/m_features/canadas-gender-identity-rights-bill-c-16-explained

Granted it's a liberal, not "Democrat" issue, and, of course, the key word is "might."

My point, really, is that just as some of you fear the worst transgressions of the right, the left is hardly omnipotent.

10. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

So you wrote in a racist and a homophobe then, because I've seen Ron Pauls newsletters and boy does he not hold back on his disdain for minorities.

Edit:

Jordan peterson lied and people like you ate it up willingly without questioning it

11. Dekker

Dekker Prince

Uh no dude you have been shown actual despicable things the right has done, in the current, while you fear some hypothetical extreme fantasies based in nothing but exaggerated hate for the other side.

cardgame and Cloud_Strife like this.
  12. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Ever read any of their books, watched any of their discussions, or did you just skim through something your buddy spoon fed you to be outraged by?

13. Dekker

Dekker Prince

As for these two figures (yes I've consumed their material, wish I hadn't) and the issue of free speech, how come this defense doesn't apply to the speech of those university students declaring their disgust? If a holocaust denier wanted to speak at a school, you'd have a problem with Jews /people protesting that ?

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I read his newsletters where he claimed it was better when gays were in the closet, where he said undeniable racist thing's about African Americans.

In fact I implore everyone to look up Mr Pauls letters and the bigotry in them will be made clear

15. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I read a post like this and get the impression that you think the world would be a better place if Churchill never lived too.

It is possible that a person who is profoundly wrong about one thing isn't profoundly wrong about everything, you know.

16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You keep bringing up unrepentent racists and bigots, unfortunately for you Churchill was also implicated in a famine in India.

Try again.

17. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Others get my point.

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Hitler loved dogs too, yes he was wrong about pretty much every thing he thought but you know, dogs

Is that your point, because if so it's not very persuasive.

Edit:

It's very sad that in an attempt to not vote for a bigot, you inadvertantly voted for another bigoted, i guess that tells you all you really need to know about the GOP and their diversity of thought

19. Dekker

Dekker Prince

I'd like to understand your point on free speech :) because it seems that you want free speech for those you agree with, but when others have speech in opposition (students protesting/speaking against Ben Peterson) you oppose that speech. If you were such a staunch defender of free speech one would think that you'd fully endorse the debates rhetoric protests arguments slander whatever that happens at these universities. Especially since those of you who use this free speech talking point make sure to include free speech for the worst types like actual Nazis in the defense. So then I ask again how come that defense doesnt apply to those who speak against the figures and ideas that they disagree with?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Cloud_Strife likes this.
  20. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Strange how it always ends up favoring bigots at the expense of their victims