Real Strategy (AI)

Real Strategy (AI) 2.3.1

my Game 4:

t103

end of Classical Era

I broke out from my landlocked island where I had 3 cities, and settle 2 other cities, that makes 5 for me so far
Kupe 9, Hardra 8, Dido 7 cities…

I try to catch up in science, I am 5 techs behind the AIs

Game 4

Just when I thought I am about to peacefully catch up to the AIs in tech, I get this surprise attack from Dido
Uhh, this will be tough...

On the pic you see all my cities and the start of war...
And oh, I play with the mod that makes cities to be WITHOUT walls...

Dido surprise.jpg

EDIT:
I survived :) but at the very beginning my city to the east went down to almost zero defence...
Then my money bought me caravels and crossbows, so I could make to a peace with no harm...

Now in the Reaniassance I am tech par with the AI (ca. 30 techs).
Kupe is strongly heading for culture, Dido and Hardra are for conquest (as I could see...)

Last edited:
Suleiman is so OP. I am running a test game and he just captured 4 cities from Norway in less than 10 turns. It was a blitzkrieg with coursers, catapults, 1 ram and support from x-bows. Basically 2 armies attacking 2 separate cities. Amazing.

Here 3 turns after he took Oslo and Skedsmo at the same time.

And then he went for Bjarkoy and Alesund and captured them both.

Several turns later he tried to attack Brazil. Well prepared, 3 coursers with a ram plus catapults. But this mountain pass was deadly. He lost 2 units and withdrew.

Suleiman is so OP. I am running a test game and he just captured 4 cities from Norway in less than 10 turns. It was a blitzkrieg with coursers, catapults, 1 ram and support from x-bows. Basically 2 armies attacking 2 separate cities. Amazing.

Here 3 turns after he took Oslo and Skedsmo at the same time.

And then he went for Bjarkoy and Alesund and captured them both.

Several turns later he tried to attack Brazil. Well prepared, 3 coursers with a ram plus catapults. But this mountain pass was deadly. He lost 2 units and withdrew.
Is this testing some new tactical AI...? /wishful thinking/

I am running test games to tweak and balance strategies for GS. I basically pay attention for everything and if something is weird, I investigate.
E.g. firaxis changed something internally and yet again civs build too many Holy Sites. Or e.g. they added a missing pseudoyield tag to Longships and suddenly Hardrada builds them like crazy. That is actually one of reasons why Norway was a bit undefended and Suleiman grabbed an opportunity. Half of Harald's army were Longships sailing around the globe. The positive thing is that he really crossed the ocean as the first and his longships were exploring the seas.

In case of Suleiman I was just truly impressed that AI could do that. I like getting proofs that Civ6 AI is not as bad as most people think.

Game 4:

Well, Dido made a move I am not sure was the best...
She attacked Norway. Well, OK. But I was military ally of Norway, and thus Dido had to face two enemies.
I had a better army than last time, a good caravel fleet, and lots of money to buy land army too.
I captured all Phonicean cities on the big island she started on.
All her 5 campuses, 2 industrial zones, many harbors became mine...
As you can see on this FT report, Dido has left with almost nothing...

RST Game 4 - stat-1.png

I ask the following:
- When deciding to declare war, does AI take into account the fact that the enemy has ally that will join the war, too?
If yes: Does it take into account that it means a war on more than one front - and thus much more domination of the attacking force is necessary?

Infixo updated Real Strategy with a new update entry:

Version 1.3 Anti-Strategies

Version 1.3
- All mod features enabled.
- Added: Anti-strategies that activate when a victory condition is disabled. They basically decrease preferences for yields, pseudoyields, projects, wonders, etc. related to a disabled victory type. Particularly, when Science is disabled, the AI will rarely build a Spaceport and should not complete any space-race projects (well, except Satellites, knowing the map is good).
- Added: Preference to build Laser projects when going for a Science victory....

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Das Capitolin You wrote:

In the context of a discussion about preventing AIs to build spaceports when science victory is disabled.
So, yes, could be a language problem, because I naturally assumed that you would create something that I could well... incorporate.
My intention is not „coming down on you”. I am trying politely to explain to you that things are not as „easy” as you might imagine.

It seems that my research on disabling the building of Spaceports and subsequent mod were helpful for you after all. I'm glad it only took a few days to make it into your RST mod, since I like it very much.

1) does your mod's AI take into account and attempt to use to AI advantage benefits that are given by Magil's wondrous wonders, I mean both world wonders and NATURAL wonders as well?
2) I remember description mentioning that your mod is independent from the save file and therefore a player can begin to play with your mod mid game or overwrite the mod with update, but now I do not see it mentioned any more. Has this changed and can I safely play newer mod version in the middle of a game session?

does your mod's AI take into account and attempt to use to AI advantage benefits that are given by Magil's wondrous wonders, I mean both world wonders and NATURAL wonders as well?
There is no special support for content from community mods as of now.
Also, I am not quite sure what kind of logic you are referring to. The only thing you can do is mark a World Wonder as a Favored one (or Disfavored). And there is literally nothing special in Natural Wonders, as they are just features put randomly on the map. AI has no control over them.
I am curious: is there any special support for the above built in Magil's mods that would enable AI to use them more effectively?

I remember description mentioning that your mod is independent from the save file and therefore a player can begin to play with your mod mid game or overwrite the mod with update, but now I do not see it mentioned any more. Has this changed and can I safely play newer mod version in the middle of a game session?
It says the same with more precise wording. "You can enable / disable it whenever you want." So, yes.

Last edited:
Test of 1.3
prince, continents, 6CSs, 6 civs
SCI, CUL, DOM and Score victories

starting strat:

Shaka - CONQ
Saladin - SCI
Lautaro - CONQ
Quin - CUL
Amanitore - CUL
Hardrada - SCI

Nubia and Shaka on one continent, far from each other

Other 4 are together on the other, where Norway has more space in a corner

t30

first AI city - Norway

t52

Shaka is still with 1 city - most civs have 3

first districts were religion ones all around
China has a campus by now, no other builds that or other type

t78

civs are building districts (mostly SCI) and wonders

Shaka has 3 cities (he had barb problems at the beginning and has poor location too)
others have 4-5 cities

t100

Saladin and Hardrada changed to CONQ strategy - nobody is SCI at this moment:
4 CONQ and 2 CUL

t120

China has 4 harbours and lots of gold

t140

Shaka is only 3 cities, he is surrounded by CSs, others are 6-7 cities

Saladin and Hardrada changes to SCI strat - they have 3-3 SCI districts

China is strong - has 2 COM districts, too, Saladin too has COM districts

t155

Shaka is up to 4 cities…

on the 4-civ continent China and Norway are leaders

t165

WAR - btw Saladin and Quin
Quin very quickly captures 3 cities with her tigers, including the capital!
And he doesn’t stop - tactically not the best, as he has too many tigers and forgets to bring his melee unit close to city to capture…
so war gets painfully dragging - but Saladin has no real defense, only rare pikes…

t210

the war is till going, as China is suffering with her war logistics and now with loyalty too.

Quin keeps bombarding Mecca down in a close mountain pass to zero over and over, turn by turn…

Quin’s tiger unit management shows real problem of 1UPT
- I will use the 2UPT part of Gedemon’s Stacking Overhaul mod next time…

t235

Norway joins the war on Saladin’s side - now this is interesting!
This war should have already ended long time ago with Arabia out - but now Saladin have some hope…

t245

But China is superior with muskets - solved the logistic problems and now Saladin is down to 2 cities

Zulu also had a war vs Nubia but that was short and without results

Norway has cities on the Nubia-Zulu continent but they suffer from loyalty problem…
(these 2 citites became free citites and the Norway managed to keep one, loyal)

Norway helps Arabia to stay alive with 1 city
and Hardrada also has war vs Zulu on the other land..

t260

China finished off Arabia… - and then makes peace with Norway

Quin has 21 cities now and is a massive leader… other civs have 9-11

t280

China has democracy, goes for CUL strategy (35% of victory),
and has 45 techs, others are with ca. 35 techs

t320

peace all around, China has 23 cities and 50 techs, others have 11-13 cities and 40 techs
Quin has 45% of CV

t340

Hardrada vs Shaka war again - short war, no captures

t355

China declares war on Mapuche - war is short and no city was taken

t365

China is 55% on CV

China goes for CV, all others are CONQ strategy

t380

Zulu -Nubia war - but not much happening

t450

China is at 60% CV

Norway switched to SCI strategy, is at 66 techs and made 2 of 6 SV projects so far

t470

China finishes the tech tree (77), is at nearly 70% of CV, Norway has 70

t485

I see Shaka has very few (320) troops while has 12 cities…

China is at 75% of CV

t495

China is at 80% of CV

t500

China is at 85% of CV
Auto Game continues though I set it to also Score Victory with 500 turns

Norway is at 3/6 of SV

China has 6000 military, others have 1500-2000, but Shaka has 500

t510

China is at 90% of CV

t515

Norway and Nubia also finishes the tech tree

China is at 95% of CV

t527

China is 100% CV, yet game does not end

I stop autoplay, play a turn, game still does not end - I stop play…

there is literally nothing special in Natural Wonders, as they are just features put randomly on the map. AI has no control over them.

Not really. (Magils) Natural wonders do enable a player with lots of special things, like having +2 gold for each unique luxury resource you own or ability to ignore movement penalties in forests. THe precondition is that you must own a tile of the natural wonder. If AI is aware of those features, it shall seek to own the tiles of a natural wonder. THe same logic for world wonders - if AI is aware of the specifics of the bonus world wonder gives, it shall aspire to build the wonder if possible.

Top Bottom