1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real-World Religions Reflected in-Game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Peng Qi, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I was thinking about which beliefs would best reflect the reality of a lot of the religions in-game. It's obviously impossible to actually reflect any accurately (after all the Catholic Christian church had both Papal Primacy and Church Property) but I was curious about the opinions of others on:

A. What best fits each
    B. What people who practice those religions think (i.e. list if you're a practitioner in your response)
    C. What people more informed on some of the less well-known-in-the-US beliefs think of those (i.e. I know nothing of Zoroastrianism).

My opinions as a non-practitioner but former Catholic are:

Christianity (Catholicism)
    Pantheon: Messenger of the Gods (Jesus)
    Founder: Papal Primacy
    Follower: Choral Music
    Enhancer: Religious Texts (I don't say Messiah because it's effect seems to be more akin to "Messiahs")
    Follower: Cathedrals

P.S. Please do not use this thread to bash religion in any way (i.e. no, not every religion would pick Holy Warriors and God of War). If it becomes a bashing thread I'd appreciate it if the mods closed it.

I also feel confident enough in my understanding of the Greek Pantheon that I think I could do it justice.

Greek Pantheon
    Pantheon: God(dess) of Festivals
    Founder: Initiation Rites
    Follower: Liturgical Drama
    Enhancer: Reliquary (Think Armor of Achilles or Golden Fleece)
    Follower: Choral Music

2. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Flying Spaghetti Monster Pantheon
    Pantheon: God of the skies.

done.

Hey, why wouldn't greek be god of the seas or goddess of the hunt? Poseidon would like to have a word with you...

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

If you look at the way the Greeks actually behaved rather than just at popular mythology, you'll find that Festivals is far more appropriate.

4. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

What does that mean? They were a bunch of partying drama queens like my ex-gf?

I bet Hesiod was huffing all the oracle's fissure fumes when he wrote some of that crap, tho.

5. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

While the entire pantheon was "understood" via oral tradition, often localities had patron deities. There wasn't a temple/shrine to every deity in any city. Pericles's patron was Athena, evidenced by the Parthenon. The pythia at Mount Parnassus specifically appealed to Apollo. Herodotus tells us some cities, like Phoenecia's Tyre chose a demi-god, Herecles as their patron.

It's not like wednesday was Dionysis day when everybody got janked and passed out. How would they have gotten anything done? Few Greeks ran around homeless and annoyingly pedantic like Socrates. "Sorry, Alex, it's Aphrodite week and I have to get my rocks off before I can march on Persia with you." What use did the Spartans have for theater majors? o wait... shield boys...

Yes, there was drama, culture, music, prose and holidays,but to say they're all "frolicking epicureans" kinda sells them short, and dismisses their brilliance in labor division as "hedonistic twattle".

You tell me. How did they actually behave?

6. buchengshi

buchengshi Warlord

Pastafarianism... :rolleyes:

7. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I'm going based mostly on the Athenian upper-class tradition of Symposia and the Cult of Eros. i.e. what the ruling class would have been supporting.

8. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

I'm not touching this anymore with a 10 foot pole or I'll make the same mistake you did calling Jesus a "messenger". hehe.

9. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

The other pantheon beliefs made even less sense. :p

God of Craftsmen? He was a carpenter... :D

Seriously though, most of the pantheon beliefs are things that are specifically admonished against in the Bible. Since the Bible says nothing disparaging about messengers, that, I think, is the closest fit.

10. OmegaKabob

OmegaKabob Le Just Derpin' Around ~

Islam
    Pantheon: Messenger of the Gods (Muhammad PBUH)
    Founder: Pilgrimage
    Follower: Mosques
    Enhancer: I'm not too sure... Maybe Defender of the Faith
    Follower: Possibly Holy Warriors? Or Divine Inspiration (I'm not too sure what that is supposed to mean though, as in everyday people being religiously motivated?) If so then definitely Divine Inspiration.

11. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

You guys it says messenger of the GODS meaning more than one god most likely referring to hermes the greek messanger god.

12. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Well duh, but all of the pantheon beliefs are pretty much non-full fledged religion references.

13. Babri

Babri Emperor

Holy Warriors would suit Christianity more because of the long history of crusades. Anyway enhancer could be religious texts (one of the most important cause of spreading of Islam in modern world is Quran itself). The other choice could be some extent Itinerant Preachers because the Islam spread in many areas due to merchant going there from one place to another & many locals embraced Islam.

14. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

The Crusades petered out due to lack of funding. I don't think you could consider them to be being purchased with faith. Besides, Jihad is ongoing today. The Crusades began and ended within a 400 year period.

15. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

Considering how religion can be flexible and how G&K fail to show the change that religion has been suffering between nations,I think it'd be better to focus on the religion as they have been practiced by the founders of it,which would be Mecca(for Islam),Vatican city(for Christianism) and so on . I guess I can help with Judaism:

Judaism
    Pantheon: Goddess of Protection
    Founder: Initiation Rites
    Follower: Religious Center
    Follower: Religious Community
    Enhancer: Messiah

The choice of the Pantheon "Goddess of Protection" is because it's the Pantheon that is more closely related to the belief of "Promised Land",that made the Jews defend that piece of land so fervently . For Islam,I think that the Pantheon that better fit them is the "Desert Folklore" .

16. Babri

Babri Emperor

Regarding Islam Messenger of God make more sense because it has a synergy with Arab UA & it is vital belief in Islam to believe on all the Prophets including that came before Muhammad (SAW), also Islam also believes that all prophet bought the same message. So I think Messengers of God make great sense. Desert Folkore could suit Egypt's Kemetism more.

Regarding Judaism why u gave them Messiah, just want to know ur perspective. :) Also Just War would make lot of sense for them as a reflection to their belief about gifted land from God as well as their rather aggressive behaviour of modern Israel. (no offence)

17. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

I think I agree with you,considering the scientific achievements of Arabia during their heights,when they had a very big empire . Also,I'd like to know what do you think it's the best Pantheon to represent other Middle-eastern powers,like Persia and Babylon .

About why I gave them Messiah,is because of the belief Messiah itself originates from the Judaism,whose belief claims that God would send someone to Earth to rebuild the Kingdom of Israel and this "Son of God" would become their supreme King . Also,the second reason for choosing Messiah is that it creates a connection between Judaism and Christianism and Judaism and Islam .

18. Flying Mathias

Flying Mathias Warlord

I'd go with Sacred Waters.

19. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

If you wanted to go with Islam under the Abbasid caliphate, I'd actually say Interfaith Dialogue would be about the best fit possible. Its major scientific and philosophical achievements were thanks largely to al-Kindi embracing the teachings of Western thinkers, and his legacy, the belief that Islam would flourish the more it accepted the wisdom of all peoples, was absolutely instrumental in bringing about Arabia's own Renaissance.

20. AstralVisage

AstralVisage Chieftain

The Crusades didn't so much die out because of a lack of funding, it was due to strengthening of political entities. By the end of the Fourth Crusade crusading was no longer possible due to kings consolidating power among Europe. As Europe moved away from feudalism and towards individual statehood loyalty also moved away from the Church and closer to the needs of the state. This is also the end of the Middle Ages. One can't go on Crusade when their king says no, even if that vassal's lord says yes.

Also, I agree with the fact that Holy Warriors should go to Islam.