Real-World Religions Reflected in-Game?

The Crusades petered out due to lack of funding. I don't think you could consider them to be being purchased with faith. Besides, Jihad is ongoing today. The Crusades began and ended within a 400 year period.

I wasn't going to touch this, and I am not muslim, but...

...Jihad, from my understanding, is a "personal struggle". It's a spiritualistic quest within. I understand from the western outside understanding it comes to exclusively mean "holy war", but that is a very small aspect of the greater responsibility of being a devout muslim.

People are bent daily by others using religion to beat them about the heads. Islam is a religion of peace, regardless of what a few thousand people have done to tarnish it and make the world believe.

CRUSADES

...were hardly a "holy war". As the above example it was a poor representation of religion as a whole, and it was hardly "holy". Yes it was sanctioned by the church, but only to give clemency to the tens of thousands of criminals that filled the ranks. It was an attempt by the universal church to cease in-fighting between european powers, giving them a target they could all hate. It was a greedy land grab propagated by murder, deceit, vandalism and worse...genocide.

HOLY WARRIORS

When I think of "holy warriors" honestly the first classic examples that come to mind are the Hebrews/Jews. From Jericho to the Macabees to the Sicarii combating Roman/Sassanid influence, when "only God should be in charge". Read about them sometime and notice the interesting parallels modernly we attribute Jihad.

I wasn't going to touch this, and I am not muslim, but...

...Jihad, from my understanding, is a "personal struggle". It's a spiritualistic quest within. I understand from the western outside understanding it comes to exclusively mean "holy war", but that is a very small aspect of the greater responsibility of being a devout muslim.

People are bent daily by others using religion to beat them about the heads. Islam is a religion of peace, regardless of what a few thousand people have done to tarnish it and make the world believe.

As laid out in the Q'uran, the concept of jihad is that one struggles with the evil/impurity within one's self to better serve God. Since the word itself just means "struggle," however, it was also used to mean armed conflicts. This has lead to the term being dissociated (split into two), with the "greater jihad" being the orignal meaning, and the "lesser jihad" being the struggle to preserve and spread Islam. Although understandably, you'll get different tellings of this story from different people.

TL;DR: You're more-or-less right.

Anyways, /resumethread. ;)

I'd go with Sacred Waters.

I'd consider that Sacred Waters fits better for India than Egypt . BTW,here's my suggestion of beliefs for representing Hinduism:

Hinduism
Pantheon: Sacred Waters
Founder: Cerimonial Burial
Follower: Divine Inspiration
Follower: Asceticism
Enhancer: Reliquary

If you wanted to go with Islam under the Abbasid caliphate, I'd actually say Interfaith Dialogue would be about the best fit possible. Its major scientific and philosophical achievements were thanks largely to al-Kindi embracing the teachings of Western thinkers, and his legacy, the belief that Islam would flourish the more it accepted the wisdom of all peoples, was absolutely instrumental in bringing about Arabia's own Renaissance.

I think that Pilgrimage would fit better for Islam,because it's the only founder belief that can represent Hajj,which is one of the main pilars of Islam .

The Crusades petered out due to lack of funding. I don't think you could consider them to be being purchased with faith. Besides, Jihad is ongoing today. The Crusades began and ended within a 400 year period.
Well we are talking about purchasing pre-industrial units with faith. Also if u like I could post a video of Bush about the 'modern crusade'. :D
That's a good point. But Pilgrimage is such a terrible pick... :p
Yeah ! Its kind of weak but I think it isn't that bad if u spread fast enough & get some masjids quickly. I hope they buff it 2 faith because unlike gold, faith looses its importance later on.

That's a good point. But Pilgrimage is such a terrible pick... :p

One of the reason why such belief is terrible is because of the insane faith cost of missionaries and because religion spreads too slowly(unless you get both Religious Texts and Itinerant Preachers,but you can only get both with Byzantium) . The other one is because it depends on the fact that your religion must be the majority in a foreign city,in order to give +1 faith . I'd put these problems in the list of things to correct in a future patch(on in a mod) .

Top Bottom