1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real World

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Naokaukodem, Jan 17, 2006.

1. malclave

malclave King

Well, you can't really go back that far, can you?

Didn't that civ get taken over by the Normans in 1066, or thereabouts?

2. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

In the real World, military is relative, America might have top military units, but hardly sufficient to conquer the World. The WOrld also have a military pact to prevent any would be world conquerers from exercising their power, although America seems to be trying to be dismantling this diplomatic agreement. Very devious...

Problem with America's culture is that it doesn't stick, just because someone sampled a portion of America's cuisine/music/movie doesn't particularly endear America to them, might even turn them off :D. Just be cause Americana is ubiquitous in the World of bad tastes doesn't make American culture dominant in the World as CIV4 meant. Worst it can be argued that since Some aspect of Americas culture is derived from existing cultures, that America was conquered culturally by those nation. How may Americans call themselve Irish/Scot/African/Italian/Mexican/ American?

In the real world, technology and knowledge flows. It is readily available to the next guy with the cash.

3. me_Barb

me_Barb Chieftain

Well with the current Hamas win as a prime example it is quite clear that as long as your leadership sucks you can have god powers and still fail miserably.:lol: The tank vs Spearman is quite a possible victory it seems if the guy in the tank can't tell the difference between the spearman and a tree.:lol: America fails at leadership. No wonder only the heavily bribed followed and even they pulled out already.:lol: China and Russia are probably laughing their asses off. With such a great leader who needs Osama. The guy practicly does nothing all the time and Bush somehow manages to do his work for him.:crazyeye:. Bush is like the perfect enemy to have.:D . He must be put into CIV for begginer players.

4. Mauritania

Mauritania Warlord

Yeah but we have to take into account of all the obelixes until the time of the Georgian calender

5. me_Barb

me_Barb Chieftain

Also the Fact that The French (and the british for that matter) stole a lot of Egyptian artefacts and displayed them at, well ,their cultural sites, doesn't that means that Egyptian culture got and still gets a huge boost around the world. This + Pyramids could acount for a culture win if they were not eliminated from the game already.:lol:

6. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Sadly as of right now the US would be winning a Cultural, spacerace and domination victory with a very strong tech lead. But I'm afraid in the endgame there will be no winner. US's finances will crumble. China will choke under a banket of its own industrial waste. The rest of the developped world will spend more money taking care of it's aging population than it's infrasructure. Africa will slip further into the grip of poverty and disease. Maybe the penguins in antartica have somthing going for them.

7. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

Hear Hear! :goodjob:

8. me_Barb

me_Barb Chieftain

Originally Posted by Innocence
    Being a European myself, I must agree that while (especially southern) Europe has many truely magnificent old monuments, we have nothing even close to the Wonders found in the cradle of civilization, like modern day China, India, Iran, Iraq, Egypt etc. Those areas predate European history by several millenia.

It's all the Christians fault. With their "no idol worshiping" policies they basicly run around torching the place. Every significant ancient monument we had faced the fire. Christianity is just a big no no when it comes to preservation. Come to think of it all bible-related religions (Islam, Christian and judaism) have this tendencies of going around torching ancient stuff they don't like. Never heard of a Buda or Hindu monk torching books for herecy now, did you.

9. BLOODYBATTLEBRA

BLOODYBATTLEBRA Chieftain

I guess I should clarify what i meant, but me_barb understood my points best.

IF, and it's such a big if that's it's highly unlikely, the USA had decided that they wanted the middle east, and not just a friendly regime in Baghdad, they could quite easily have conquered all of those nations there, INCLUDING Iran. I mean, Iran and iraq had a rough parity in power, and how long did Iraq part 2 last? Or, more accurately, part 1, when Saddam was more powerful.

Look at what the Mongols did, they swept in, murdered anyone who had resisted them, and then moved on. The USA could, if it mobilised it's industry, overrun the world. It has more, bigger and technologically better everything. Sure, individual troop quality may be somewhat lacking when compared to French or British troops, but Britain's entire army (150,000 strong, including reserves) navy, airforce AND marines (only 6,000 of them) is SMALLER than the US Marine Corp.

Stand back and think fo that for a minute. Britain is rare among nations today in that ir can project its power anywhere in teh world if need be, within 24 hrs (there's even a special reaction Brigade set aside for this, drawn from all the services, which gets rotated every 2 weeks or so, wherein the members of said brigade are on such short notice that it isn't even notice, it's 'ready' status. I.E. President Blair gets on the phone, gives the order, and those troops will be at the troublespot in hrs).

To my knowledge, only 4 r so nations have this kind of global amphibous/airborne capability and they are:

USA
    France
    Great Britain
    Holland (with GB association-and no I am not kidding).

My source is a book called "The making of a Royal Marine" by Nigel Hawthorne, and his claims have been borne out by various others, including Brigadier General Thompson, the guy who was in charge of the Task fleet that took back the Falklands.

And America blows all those other countries out the water, literally if it liked.

Disregarding Nuclear weapons, for the sake of the hypothesis, I can't see how one can really say that, if America wanted to, it couldn't militarily take over the world. IMHO, Europe would be the hardest nut to crack. Germany, although officially pacifist, and only having what it calls a 'defence force' has the potential to dominate europe again.

regarding iraq, in terms of a 'war', that was easily won. In terms of an 'occupation' then yes there are problems. But think of this for a moment, if America had invaded and exterminated Iraq, it would have been very easy. America is being quite restrained really.

Imagine if they just occupied the oil wells...:(

10. biratets

biratets Chieftain

Hmm, have you people forgot that your lives (and mine too) can still be ended by a single button click in Moscow?

MAD.

edit. Sorry, you did actually mention something about nuclear weapons.

11. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

Hence the Cold War, but to quote Tom Clancy, "Who wants to be the ruler of a parking lot?"

12. biratets

biratets Chieftain

Exactly my point.

13. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

So militarily it would be a stalemate between the Old Soviet Union and NATO, I suppose.

Since there are so many nations that have had so much/so little power throughout different times at history, I think it's impossible to pinpoint one civilization that has "won".

14. biratets

biratets Chieftain

Well maybe not so if USA or any other NATO country was after world dominance as bloodybattlebra envisioned. The Nato itself would cease to exist immediately if any single country would have these kind of purposes. The result would just be MAD to everyone - guess you can call it a stalemate too.

Empires stand and fall as history has shown to us several times. So to be able to know who "wins" we should be in the end of our history looking back. I hope mankind wins before the sun swallows us or we destroy ourselves / the nature. But anyhow it's fun to speculate these things.

15. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

Agreed.:) :)

16. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Where did I ever say it was sufficient to conquer the World? No nation has that big a military and as you mentioned the rest of the world would unite to prevent any global takeover. I stand my by statements of the US having the world's strongest military and having the only truly global military presence.

Once again not dominant, but winning, as in ahead of any other nation. Doesn't matter if US products 'endear' you to America or not, somebody must be buying or they wouldn't continue to be for sale worldwide as they always are.

But right now that guy is the US as it has cash and the consumer market economy that goes with it. For whatever reason the US scientific influence is more widespread than anyone else.

If you don't agree the US is winning then who would you suggest instead?

17. Vietnamese Guy

Vietnamese Guy Chieftain

The borg... Hey they're out there somewhere

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Warlord

That line of argument can be applied to any culture that had some form of predecessor to it.

19. Mauritania

Mauritania Warlord

Yeah technically everyone in the world is Kenyan...