1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RealFort Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Bhruic, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

RealFort was designed to deal with the lackluster benefits of building forts in vanilla Civ IV. It provides extra bonuses for units that are within the fortifications.

Fort Bonus I:
    +10% healing rate
    +10% strength

Fort Bonus II (requires Optics):
    immune to first strike
    +1 visibility range

Fort Bonus III (requires Steel):
    +1 first strike chance
    10% withdrawal chance

These bonuses are granted via promotions. Unfortunately, adding (or removing) promotions causes savegame incompatibility. So RealFort will not work with existing games. You need to start a new game to take advantage of it.

RealFort should NOT be installed in your main Civ IV location, as it will overwrite necessary files. Instead, it should be installed at: "My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4".

Bh

Attached Files:

2. Kid_icoris

Kid_icoris Chieftain

sweet idea man, although i still dont know if its worth it. I never build forts mostly cause i dont think the AI will deem it nescisary to attack them, just leaving a stack of units in this stagenent area that is useless, although ive never used them so i dont know if the AI actually does desregard them or not lol

3. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

It's important to note that units in the fort get those benefits regardless of their actions. In other words, they get them attacking as well as defending.

So if you know the AI is going to take a certain route into your territory to attack, fort up, and attack from inside the fort.

Bh

4. Kid_icoris

Kid_icoris Chieftain

cool, ill dl and try it out, maybe this will change my mind about forts :D

5. Seik

Seik Chieftain

Nice idea, but the problem is:
    there are only rare places which could be worth to build a fortification - ressources and small passages. The AI hunts down your improvements but moves around the fortifications most of the time.
    In the case of a ressource you cant build the fort (or leave the ressource unused) - so leaving only small passages.

The fort is an old relict where units had ZOCs (zone of controls) - it that case they were very good.

6. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

That's the point of this mod. Because you can gain benefits while attacking, it gives you a ZoC-like system. Basically, your units can attack any of the 8 surrounding squares at an advantage. This can help prevent the enemy from pillaging, because you've got a secure spot to work from. And because of the accelerated healing rate, your units won't be 'down' long if they get wounded.

Bh

7. Ariks

Ariks Chieftain

Great stuff.

I think the defence bonus should be boosted too. A hill with a forrest gives you 75% but the fort only 25%... so with the original rules there is really no good reason to build a fort when you have a forrest nearby....

8. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

wow - that is a good idea!!
    way better than only increasind def bonus or something like that.
    :goodjob:

9. Michel Keijzers

Michel Keijzers Chieftain

When being in a fort an attacking it would cause the unit to go to the defender's location when the attacker is successful.

However for units like bowmen who will not even leave the fort while attacking it makes no sense to move to the probably unprotected location of the defender.

10. GIR

oh yes, could this be mod that the attacker can chose if he want to go to this new location or to stay in the fort?
    some kind of "withdrawal" after winning.

11. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

Unfortunately that's not likely possible without the SDK. There's no pre-move event, only a post-move one.

Consider, however, that if you build roads around the fort (it is in your territory, after all), even units with 1 movement can attack out, and then retreat back to the fort.

Bh

12. Gulio

Gulio Chieftain

I build forts and usually sentry knights / artilery there around important resources.

Hourses early on, copper, iron, gun powder etc. will always usually have a fort near by with a knight in it for killing evil bad people

13. Samuelson

Samuelson Prince

I think that you should definitely up the heal rate for 10% to 25%, because 10% isnt a great increase. Also, the defense of the fort should be upped to maybe about 60%, because in real life it's easier to defend a for then a city.

14. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

The defense can be modified with the XML tables, I didn't touch that, actually. I'm not sure increasing the healing rate that much would be good. Units already heal fairly quickly in friendly territory, so giving them effectively a free "Healing I" seems like it should be sufficient. But because the mod works by attaching Promotions to the Forts, you can actually modify the Promotions yourself, if you wish to. The XML file for them is included.

Bh

15. kandalf

kandalf Warlord

Is it possible to make forts buildable on other improvements?

16. Gulio

Gulio Chieftain

I remember when you could build a City on a fort... mmmm

17. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

Unfortunately, no. Forts are considered 'Improvements', and the game only lets you have one 'Improvement' per square. I don't think there's any way to change that, short of the SDK.

Bh

18. the100thballoon

the100thballoon Emperor

do the units keep the promotion(s) when they leave the fort?

19. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

Nope, units only have the promotion(s) when on the fort square. As soon as they leave the square, they lose the promotions.

Bh

20. GIR

is it possible to improve your fort like it was in the expansion of civ3? and provide the advanced fort an extra 10% def bonus or something like that (not too strong because of balance)?