Realism Invictus

In my recent game I noticed that non of the AI civs(except America) where building planes. Although they should have been able to do so. They where ahead of my in techs and had the resources. Version was 3.1

In my recent game I noticed that non of the AI civs(except America) where building planes. Although they should have been able to do so. They where ahead of my in techs and had the resources. Version was 3.1

Really? interesting. What civ were you playing? Last game I was playing as Germ, and only Eng and USA were building planes. Took a look at Japan, and they wern't building any, which seemed odd considering the era i was in.

I don't know if anything can be done on this subject but espionage in the late game becomes rather tiresome with all the clicking of single points. Then at some time it gets to 99 and becomes even more chaotic.

EDIT: gets to 99 with certain civ's, usually one or two

Hello RI team, i haven't been playing the game since i am very busy, but i took sometime to check the civs (rev 4069) and i wanted to say:

1-Democracy has no advantages to federalism.

Democracy should be the civic for little or medium modern civs and it should have some advantages over federalism but making it more expensive to have with many or a large number of cities. (like having elections is expensive). taken of later post: Because it has almost the same bonus as federalism but with more ww and +1 in 5 big cities and without the 25% GP points, so i think there is no reason to choose it over federalism.

2-Labor Union is OK if you add +1 health for adopting it and +2 health and +2 happiness if building social garanties (no just 1 each)

if you add this changes it is pretty much considerable adopting it, now i try to avoid it like the plague, because the ww and less production are too painful, even without social garanties.

EDIT:
3-Proteccionism is better now, but i still think that is not so good. It could be more balanced if imports tariff had also +25% national trade rute income or +some porcent of gold in the city, then it would be pretty fine.

4- I think that state property should have a bonus for a industrial building because countries that adopted it were famous for having good heavy industries. It should be a +10% (or 5%) production in the steel meel or ironworks or const. ind. or 5% in 2 of this buildings.

5-The piramids now aren't that useful, they were better with the city square bonus.

6-Talking about city squares, the ministery that makes them for free should be called ministery of city planning and it should be discovered a lot earlier, like in the middle or low industrial era. In te modern era it's too late.

7-Mass Transport sistem should be discovered in the late/middle industrial era and not in the modern era.

8-I don't understand the new Eirik Raude, it gives you 1 free oil for nothing? or do you have to have plastic resource for it?, i think the new bonus is cool, but i think it should have the old bonus too (+1 prod in water titles in the city)

9-I think that proteccionism should have a related world wonder like the H. league with guild monopoly. The new ww should gives +2 trade routes to all coastal cities or some sort of bonus that makes Proteccionism a better option than free market to the one that builds it (like the H. league). I think that it also has to be obsolete in some time (not to little).

10-The new bonus in the Eiffel Tower is nice, but it would be nicer if you added some sort of commerce/gold bonus, think about it. France is the most visited country in the world by tourists, i think that the eiffel tower should provide at least +1 or +2 trade route to the city or +25% gold or +10 to 25% of commerce.

Hello RI team, i haven't been playing the game since i am very busy, but i took sometime to check the civs (rev 4069) and i wanted to say:

Democracy should be the civic for little or medium modern civs and it should have some advantages over federalism but making it more expensive to have with many or a large number of cities. (like having elections is expensive).

2-Labor Union is OK if you add +1 health for adopting it and +2 health and +2 happiness if building social garanties (no just 1 each)

if you add this changes it is pretty much considerable adopting it, now i try to avoid it like the plague, becaouse the ww and less production are too painful, even without social garanties.

??? Since when? What are you running with Dem and have you specialized your cities? I'm not trying sarcastic here, i'm actually curious. Dem runs great for me after I've specialized my cities, so a little more info may help you with your current issue.

LU: similar situation here, as it works well in certain situations. Could you provide more deatails? granted, I'm not part of the mod team, but i've never seen this before and i'm interested in the specifics.

??? Since when? What are you running with Dem and have you specialized your cities? I'm not trying sarcastic here, i'm actually curious. Dem runs great for me after I've specialized my cities, so a little more info may help you with your current issue.

LU: similar situation here, as it works well in certain situations. Could you provide more deatails? granted, I'm not part of the mod team, but i've never seen this before and i'm interested in the specifics.

1- No, i am just saying this because it's description. Because it has almost the same bonus as federalism but with more ww and +1 in 5 big cities and without the 25% GP points, so i think there is no reason to choose it over federalism.

2-uum more details? what do you mean?

also i edited the other post to include something about Proteccionism.

If you are working on 3.2 could you include the "Panzer V" Panther and Panzer VI "tiger" in the German roster of tanks.

If you do, I work on a 1939 Scenario for RI.

If you are working on 3.2 could you include the "Panzer V" Panther and Panzer VI "tiger" in the German roster of tanks.

That would be awesome :goodjob::D, i have been waiting for it since the beginning.

We are working on 3.2.

No, we won't add such panzer. To add them, we would have to add new classes and units. Who were the civs which used these kinds of models (medium/heavy and heavy) ? Mali ? Zulu ? Inca ? To add an unit (and class), at least half of the civs should use it or an equal in class.

Hi,

Does this mod will be compatible with mac OS ?

No, it will not be.

being a 50 yrs old child, I am hoping to download it from the X-mas server on the 25th

From how it's going right now, it is possible, but not very probable, unfortunately.

I thought I'd elaborate a bit on what Yann said. Basically it all comes down to unit scale in game. For modern era, we consider 1 unit to be equal 1 division. If we look at the tanks from this point of view, heavy tanks like Tiger in WW2 era were never formed into separate divisions, but were used to reinforce the existing ones with medium tanks (and usually no more than in 5/1 ratio).

Likewise if we look at the Panther, which was indeed a medium tank and intended to replace the workhorse Panzer IV, during the whole war there was IIRC only one division formed that had the majority of Panthers. Basically, on Civ scale only one such unit was built.

Democracy should be the civic for little or medium modern civs and it should have some advantages over federalism but making it more expensive to have with many or a large number of cities. (like having elections is expensive). taken of later post: Because it has almost the same bonus as federalism but with more ww and +1 in 5 big cities and without the 25% GP points, so i think there is no reason to choose it over federalism.

It is already like that; the problem is that players usually have large empires, so Democracy, once Federalism is available, is more for smaller AIs. We certainly plan to revisit it once we implement Revolution component; there the differences between the two will be more pronounced.

if you add this changes it is pretty much considerable adopting it, now i try to avoid it like the plague, because the ww and less production are too painful, even without social garanties.

Don't forget the penalty for those who don't have it. From the point of view of a civ leader, we wanted Labor Union to be a "necessary evil". I think it already feels that way.

EDIT:
3-Proteccionism is better now, but i still think that is not so good. It could be more balanced if imports tariff had also +25% national trade rute income or +some porcent of gold in the city, then it would be pretty fine.

It is already fine, if situational. You will want to adopt it in isolated starts or during wars/large buildup efforts. It might be the Free Market that is overpowered...

4- I think that state property should have a bonus for a industrial building because countries that adopted it were famous for having good heavy industries. It should be a +10% (or 5%) production in the steel meel or ironworks or const. ind. or 5% in 2 of this buildings.

It is now Planned Economy and it already has this bonus for Const Ind (not the percentage though, we don't have tags for that).

5-The piramids now aren't that useful, they were better with the city square bonus.

True, that's precisely why they were changed. Too useful. But they are cheaper now to compensate.

6-Talking about city squares, the ministery that makes them for free should be called ministery of city planning and it should be discovered a lot earlier, like in the middle or low industrial era. In te modern era it's too late.

There are no ministries before late Renaissance era, and it will likely stay that way.

7-Mass Transport sistem should be discovered in the late/middle industrial era and not in the modern era.

We'll debate this one within our team.

8-I don't understand the new Eirik Raude, it gives you 1 free oil for nothing? or do you have to have plastic resource for it?, i think the new bonus is cool, but i think it should have the old bonus too (+1 prod in water titles in the city)

For free, and better offshore platforms.

9-I think that proteccionism should have a related world wonder like the H. league with guild monopoly. The new ww should gives +2 trade routes to all coastal cities or some sort of bonus that makes Proteccionism a better option than free market to the one that builds it (like the H. league). I think that it also has to be obsolete in some time (not to little).

Will think about it.

10-The new bonus in the Eiffel Tower is nice, but it would be nicer if you added some sort of commerce/gold bonus, think about it. France is the most visited country in the world by tourists, i think that the eiffel tower should provide at least +1 or +2 trade route to the city or +25% gold or +10 to 25% of commerce.

The tourism bit is already reflected by bonus culture.

I thought I'd elaborate a bit on what Yann said. Basically it all comes down to unit scale in game. For modern era, we consider 1 unit to be equal 1 division. If we look at the tanks from this point of view, heavy tanks like Tiger in WW2 era were never formed into separate divisions, but were used to reinforce the existing ones with medium tanks (and usually no more than in 5/1 ratio).

Likewise if we look at the Panther, which was indeed a medium tank and intended to replace the workhorse Panzer IV, during the whole war there was IIRC only one division formed that had the majority of Panthers. Basically, on Civ scale only one such unit was built.
I agree with you point about Tigers. So I accept the point that they were used predominately to re-inforce divisions, which is in line with my research also.

However, a Panzer Division had less than 300 tanks (even less late war) and there were nearly 6,000 Panthers made in just 2 years, which should be more than enough to setup 20 divisions. So while it maybe true only 1 division was setup totally with Panthers, the impact of 6,000 of these tanks should not be under estimated. Moroever, the Panzer division was a finely tuned fighting unit and it was not unknown for where one was committed to turn the tide of the battle.

This is why the original designers of Civilization were correct to include it as a separate unique unit for Germany.

As you can probably imagine, I have done a lot of research into WW2 (given the level of detail in my own mod), so I hope you give your omission of the Panther reconsideration and backed by the fact that the original designers of Civ 4 also included it as a unique unit.

Thanks for Responding Walter, here are some other thoughts:

It is already fine, if situational. You will want to adopt it in isolated starts or during wars/large buildup efforts. It might be the Free Market that is overpowered...

well, ok if you think that

Don't forget the penalty for those who don't have it. From the point of view of a civ leader, we wanted Labor Union to be a "necessary evil". I think it already feels that way.

yes but please change at least to +2 happiness and +2 health to social g. because -20% gold is too much

True, that's precisely why they were changed. Too useful. But they are cheaper now to compensate.

but why? it's nice that they are useful

There are no ministries before late Renaissance era, and it will likely stay that way.

i said in the beginning or middle of the industrial era, not renaissance. Please evaluate it well because this is pretty important (it's like 1st building for a city for me).

For free, and better offshore platforms.

but why won't you include the +1 production in city water titles?

Keep the awesome work RI team!!!!!:goodjob::goodjob::D:D:king:

Is it expedient to start making a new scenario now? Or will the 3.3. (with RevMod) be not backward convertible t.i. do I have to make the scenario again, then? I want to draw a new map and rename some existing civs but otherwise not change the rules of the mod. So my question is essentially - will I be able to port the map to future versions?

Top Bottom