1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Depending on what we change on RI, there are some chances that all scenarii have to be updated. That's the main drawback of building a scenario.

So yes. You can build a scenario if you want to. But bear in mind that it may have to be updated often.

What would be the era of you scenario ? The place ? etc. Maybe we may help you a bit if you wish to go faster.

2. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

The basic plan is very simple and easy to implement. It will be a scenario of the Migration period. The map will most likely be a standard sized one with parts of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. I will only use existing civs (about 10-12) and rename them (Greece = Eastern Roman Empire, France = Franks, Spain = Visigoths etc.). There will be three settled civs, the two Roman empires and the Persians to the utmost East. All the Germanic tribes will start only with a large stack and maybe one or two settlers. Penalties on the Roman empires will be high to retain their empires. Goal will be Domination victory, probably in a given time frame (~380-600 CE). Starting in the new year I will draw the map myself and enlarge/contract regions according to their relative historical importance. T.i. North Africa will be contracted. The map should be small to make travel distances reasonable. The scenario will mainly aim at playability and fun, the goal for the Germanic tribes is to conquer and hold as much territory as possible. For the other civs to retain (and sustain) as much territory as possible.

3. Palaiologos2

Palaiologos2 Prince

Ahh bummer. This is the exact theme of a scenario I am working on for ages for Civ2. Once I had it ready I was aiming to make it for Civ4 RI. I guess you beat me to it.

On the other hand I'd be more than happy to share my research and ideas with you. Wonders, techs etc.
    there is obviously much more to the scenario than this thread. I have actually been researching the period for no less than 2 years. I am even reading on Roman and Byzantine law currently.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=427809

The era offers much more than simply a "Barbarians against Rome" theme. The larger number of civs and building customization Civ4 allows can make wonders for the playability of a scenario. Religions too.

4. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Ok, so took a look at your game, and then started a new game for me using the same settings as you. The only civs besides myself ( playing ENG) who built any planes was germany, russia, and india ( the predominent powers). There were about 5-7 civs that were in the mid-range power category that had access to the resources necessary for building planes, but they didn't do so. This is kind of puzzling, as the balance of power would have shifted had more air units been built.
    So as a test, I bumped up the difficulty level to emporer to see what would happen ( besides me getting my butt handed to me). I played as Japan, focused primarily on defense just so I could survive to the era and hopefully see who would build any planes. Pretty much a similar situation as my earlier games, few civs would build any type of air power. OTOH, various navy elements were prevelant all over the map, especially for sea based civs.
    So, anyone else have this issue? Kind of curious.

5. Nineliveslost

Nineliveslost Chieftain

one wish.. How come we cant secretly tell our allies and vassals to get ready to attack an enemy? All i want is a semi coordinated attack or notify an attack so everyone can their together

6. Antonius B

Antonius B Chieftain

I guess it's very hard to find any historical examples of Allies able or even willing to coordinate.

7. Soro

Soro Warlord

At least, in games where the AI rules set isn't able to handle it.

8. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

I also made about 2 dozen scenarios for Civ2. Still, I think, it was easier then. Less to decide, less options available. The scenario editor was much easier to use for programming dummies like me. New units easier to incorporate.

You're welcome. The historical background is pretty much clear to me, since I studied this period in University. As of now I do not plan to add any new buildings, units or wonders. I just take the ones already present in RI. Like I said, the scenario's first aim is to be fun and playability for all RI players. For this reason, it has to be easy understandable in terms of rules and objectives.

Yes, of course, but I don't intend it to be a builder scenario. The timeframe is just to short. So the civs involved will mainly fight, plunder and try to stay alive. I'll see how it works and what I can improve once I play the scenario for a few times.

I hope I don't sound too negative about your suggestions. Your ideas and help are very much welcome. Just like you I'm also very passionate about Late Roman-Byzantine and mediterranean history and society. :)

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

There is a great historical mod that covers that period too, Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
    I would recommend to try it out, get some ideas for this mod
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=402472
    It's for Warlords though

10. Archo

Archo Chieftain

So I saw a GREAT deal on the steam and I bought the CIV. This is the best mod and I want to know if I should wait for 3.2 or play 3.1 until death.
    Thanks for the creators for all the hard work.

11. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Dear Modteam of RI,

since you play around with the Pyramids' function, did you consider using the mechanism present in Civ5 ("Tile improvement construction speed increased by 25% and two workers appear near the city")? As of now, the light increase in the usefulness of pagan temples doesn't seem to warrant the building of the Pyramids. I built them mainly for the GE points which let me choose a second wonder, mostly the Great Lighthouse. The 25% improvement construction speed + 2 free workers would IMHO be more representative for the strength of Egyptian economy and labour organization that led to the construction of the Pyramids.

12. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Interesting idea. I will look deeper into that.

13. Lt_Cmdr_Data

Lt_Cmdr_Data Chieftain

Happy new year everyone. May Realism Invictus thrive in this year as it did in the years before

14. Faithchild

Faithchild Chieftain

Hey RI Team!

Do you know if new version will be significantly harder to run on the computer, or will it be the same?
    I thought the new version was out before new year,, but alas..
    Any way I can be notified directly when new version is relaesed??

Thanks for the amazing effort!!

15. Propunk

Propunk Warlord

Dear RI Team: I've just gotta say: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ....

16. tobal

tobal Chieftain

Thanks for this big mod, it's the first time i see my city, Valencia, in the right way, i speak about the crusades mod.
    But i've found two errors,
    first, Grenada is incorrect, Granada is correct.
    And Lisbon is Lisboa and it is Portugal, not Spain. I mean, you have put Lisboa in Sevilla's or Cordoba's place. And Sevilla or Cordoba are most important cities with Ybn Yusuf, than Lisboa. Remember it existed El Califato de Córdoba.
    I expect you correct these mistakes, because i've watched you like history with civi, it was the main thing in ancient civi versions.
    Thanks for your mod, thanks for respect the history. The authentical Civi not respect the truth history.

17. Moses7

Moses7 Chieftain

I am a little new , so I do need some instructions . I have downloaded the file
    It is an .exe application
    I just run and install it, right?
    I don't think there will be problem with the original game ...

18. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

I guess AI currently sees air power as more or less secondary to land/naval. If it thinks it has enough tanks, it starts building planes.

What this wise man says. That would require a lot of completely new AI routines.

I can't see why you shouldn't play 3.1 to death while waiting for 3.2... ;)

Especially since this mod is fairly (very?) complex, and you should first get a proper "feel" for it.

Thanks! This won't make it to 3.2, since it would require new XML tags. Also, I consider an early engineer (= a guaranteed another free wonder) to be almost the main effect of the Pyramids.

We tried to deliver before the NY, but we still had things to fix. And it will likely be somewhat easier to run than 3.1 - at least it will run faster.

And since you are subscribed to this thread, you will be notified - I will of course post an announcement here.

You already know the answer to that. :nono:

Thanks for your interest in our mod! I should point out that the Crusades scenario is based on a medieval map of the world, and those have the East on the top, not the North like moder maps. So you are looking at Iberia at a different angle than people are used to, so Lisbon is placed quite correctly on the down side (that is, the Western coast of the peninsula). The name advice is noted and Granada will be corrected.

Yes. It is pretty straightforward and user-friendly, I think.

19. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Do you RI folks have a rough estimate how much faster the mod will run? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the mod, but when I hit around the IE the turn times get rather long ( and I have a pretty zippy pc :) ). Was just curious.

20. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

No, we didn't do benchmarks.