1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Palaiologos2

Palaiologos2 Prince

A lot of derivative civs, such as Pontus, Austria, Mexico, Tatars etc. The Austronesians get in as a fully playable civ.

Christ that reminds me. I haven't done GPs for the Tatars, have I?

2. artyom

artyom Warlord

can someone please, oh I beg of you, please make a big europe map

3. kara42

kara42 Chieftain

Can you possibly say, if there will be any more savegame breaking changes between the current SVN Rev. 4220 and the final 3.2 version? or is it only minor tweaks till release at this point?

4. civman110

civman110 Immortal

Have you ever considered adding revolts/rebellions when a country changes from a more liberal form of government to a less free form of government? For example, from democracy to a dictatorship, or free religion to theocracy.

The couple turns of anarchy always seemed like a walk in the park.

5. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Well, on behalf of the team, I can say that no such map is currently in the works.

Minor tweaks doesn't always equal save game compatible. So I'd say it's a fair bet that there will be several save-game incompatible revisions still. But nobody forces you to update mid-game; as you said yourself it will likely be relatively minor changes that you could probably do without in your current game.

I don't think there are any major historical precedents to that. The transition usually happened pretty quickly and without major resistance (think 30'ies Germany, Iran, Italy etc.) - much less so than in the reverse situations. The exceptions being civil wars (Spain, Russia etc.), but those should probably be handled separately, and they could just as well be triggered by going from less liberal to more liberal (think USA for example), so they are more linked to the fact of the change itself, not the direction of the change.

6. artyom

artyom Warlord

i dont understand why mods dont come with good premade maps especially ones which get developed constantly. I mean, it only takes a tiny fraction of effort to make a dam europe map compared to, say that ******** crusaders map ya made there which is probably the most piece of map i had ever seen despite looking at it for a brief 5 seconds before clicking ctrl alt del

Moderator Action: Perhaps you should take their advice and make your own map. This is certainly not the way to ask. Please be more civil in future discussions.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. opelcity

opelcity Chieftain

You're always free to make such a map yourself. You can use the big map as a template and work from there with the ingame World Editor. The only thing you need is time.

8. Walter Hawkwood

Yep, you're welcome to make one yourself. All mods out there are made as hobbies, and as such we do only the stuff we want to do. It is not our job, and nobody pays us for that. People often forget that the only reason these mods are available to them at all is because we are kind people and we share with others on our own accord the work we do for our own amusement.

In this particular case, when I speak for myself, I don't care for maps at all, so I won't likely make any - and as far as I know our other teammates, the only new scenarios we will do is the fun stuff that nobody is ever going to request. :D

9. nauticaltiger

nauticaltiger Chieftain

Just wanted to say that I love the direction 3.2 is going in. Really enjoyable mod. A couple of bits of feedback from my play testing:

* When a town is conquered with a great person in it, this should be a spoils-of-war type situation (a-la the Russians and Americans capturing German scientists after WWII). I noticed in my campaign that the great person was destroyed, rather than captured. I was playing as Eamon de Valera with the Celts when I noticed this.

* Jungles that spawn extensively around the initial settlement areas in all directions are a huge encumbrance that are hard to come back from for two reasons - the health penalties, and the need to fast track iron (if you have it) to get rid of it. I've noticed this happens a lot with the perfect mongoose generator.

* As trade/open borders are so important in your mod, leaders without political traits seem to be at a huge disadvantage. I've played games where I've done everything from give away tech and money as gifts to reach an open borders agreement and they're still not interested despite being pleased with me. I think this might need to be tweaked slightly.

* Crusader knights produced after a holy war has been called should not be affected by fear penalties (IMHO). Perhaps they should start with the blessed promotion as well?

* Viking galleys set to sea patrol ignored repeated pillaging of adjacent sea resources by barbarians. My understanding is that they're supposed to intercept?

* The economic penalties for capturing enemy towns seem a bit severe (noticed on the second hardness level - Prince I think?). If a town is raised to mitigate the economic penalty, a rival civ moves in to build or the civ under siege rebuilds the town. It seems like expansion doesn't effect the AI civs to a proportionate level.

* Have you thought about adding a shaman or witch doctor unit early in the game? Maybe they could be an added benefit for staying with paganism and provide benefits such as healing. Just a thought. I haven't played the ancient civs in your mod yet so if they already exist my apologies.

Anyway, great work and I'm looking forward to the final release!

10. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

May I suggest Marco (and maybe Niccolo) Polo as merchants for the Tartars, or maybe the Mongols? They may have been Italian, but they did a lot for Kublai Khan..

I recently started reading the travels of Marco Polo :)

11. kara42

kara42 Chieftain

I have been musing over the unit promotions (Revision 4220).

The increasing bonus for "Combat" promotions (10, 12, 14, 18, 20, 26 = 100 total) as opposed to the vanilla 5x10 (and combat VI with +25 with general only) is interesting. It is probably also needed for balancing combat against the other more specialized promotions which also add up to 100% bonus but in 3 or 4 steps not 6.

However I was wondering if this doesnt make the drill line even less desirable then it is in vanilla where combat is already the more common choice. Maybe drill should be buffed a bit? Maybe increase collateral dmg reduction and add it to drill 1 as well?

12. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

Hello,

We know all the Drill promotions need to be boosted a bit. We still hesitate on what to do but something will be made.

13. Palaiologos2

Palaiologos2 Prince

Kublai Khan is "Mongol". General Mamai on the other hand is "Tatar". Marco Polo is already in as both a Roman and Venetian Great Merchant. I am open to any suggestions on GPs though. Tatar lists are understandably quite limited. Now that I think of it though if I dig deep enough I must find some renowned Astrakhan merchant. Hmmmm....

EDIT: Hop!!! There's one http://www.russianmuseums.info/M2357 I ma not sure he is Tatar racially though. He might have been Russian. And his pic isn't that clear.

14. Propunk

Propunk Warlord

OK, I've been trying not to ask it for a loooong time, but I can't take it anymore: ARE WE THERE YET???? ARE WE THERE YET???? ARE WE THERE YET???? ARE WE THERE YET?????:cry:

15. sjodster

sjodster Chieftain

We are close :) I inadvertently held things up by starting work on a new Civilopedia and then finding myself too busy to finish it. It's about halfway done, and I will find time to finish it eventually. In the meantime a bunch of cleanup and bug testing is happening.

-Josh

16. johnjohn

johnjohn Chieftain

That is perfectly ok! I hate it when modders make lots of changes and the Civilopedia doesn't reflect those and leads to several games of confusion :crazyeye: You guys have a GREAT mod and it only gets better!

17. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Prince

When you say world maps crash, do you mean premade maps crash?

18. tdfriese

tdfriese Chieftain

I've played a few recent games as the Chinese and found two unexpected building behaviors. I found granary giving +1 :food: in many of my cities (though not all). This showed up both on the tool tip and in the food breakdown. Likewise, I found toll house giving +1 :commerce:. This also showed up both on the tool tip and in the commerce breakdown. I don't see these boni documented.

Question: Does anyone know where these boni are coming from? It seems that I've only gotten them as Chinese, but I'm not sure.

Request: Could they be documented in the building descriptions and in the pedia? Thanks!

19. Walter Hawkwood

It's the provincial government building you've been constructing in your cities. And yes, reflecting that is one of the things that Josh is currently fixing the pedia for.

I believe you can see that from in-game tooltip for the building.

20. Nameless One

Nameless One Endarkened Despot

bug report: Mali medieval cottage/hamlet/village/town has industrial era graphics.