1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Just a preference of mine, I can live with the installer too though.

2. Muninn

Muninn Chieftain

Is there a particular reason that building "Local Crafts" produces gold and research, but not culture?

3. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

I think (don't quote me on that, I'm not the guy who builds our installers) that it should create a set of blank configuration files. So if I just zipped and sent you my RI folder (which I guess I can do, if you want it), you'd end up with my configs.

Yep, it would be too easy a source of getting culture early on. In ancient age, culture is very scarce.

4. Colon

Colon King

It's been a while since I played the previous version but from what I remember it used to be quicker to start up and play. I also have this issue wherein I start up the application, in RI, and when load a save or a new game, it tells me to restart the application (in RI, naturally). During restarting it also sometimes crashes when I load a save.

5. Colon

Colon King

Actually scrap the "sometimes" in the above post. The game consistently crashes when I load a save.

6. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Are you using saves created with the old version?

7. Pepo

Pepo Prince

I'm currently playing my first 3.3 game and it is so good! I had before the 3.1 version and it is a vast improvement, especially the industrial system. Moreover I have some suggestions:
    - economically I feel that it is easier than 3.1 ,probably due to the addition of some new building and the -25% off maintenance on despotism that helps a lot in early game.
    - I know that you guys are working hard on addingthe revmod, but why don't add the barbarian civ mod (the one that make new civilizations appear when barbarians cities are developed enough)? I don't think it will be to hard to implement and it will make the gaming experience much richer
    - I like the civ transfer mechanic, but I think that it should work (at a reduce rate like 10% extra research) even with close borders. Mainly to reduce the tech gap in the early game and to simulate that there is still some contact between the civs.
    -the unit cost increase is broken at later stages of the game and it is unrealistic. While it works on the ancient age and more or less in the middle ages, once you reach the Renaissance and the industrial age, the main infantry gets really expensive, for not to speak about artillery. It also unrealistic because it doesn't represent the fact that if you build more , you end up building it faster and cheaper (the t-34 or any other mass produce tank for example). It also hurt civs with less resources, as they are limited to fewer units that end up getting really expensive. I suggest to scrap it altogether or to add a top cost for each units. When the unit cost reach this cost ,it stops going up. For example militia units could have it at 150% of the original cost, line infantry at 200% their original cost , knights at 300% etc,etc....with this solution, units shouldn't get ridiculous costs while it also make unit diversity a vital strategy
    - I suppose it has to do with what I said above, but upgrade cost goes from absurdly low to absurdly high. I suggest the same as above
    -unique units should cost more if they lack the resource they should need. I was going to suggest that they require resources, but I think this is a more elegant solution. You can still build those winged hussars without iron or horse, but it would be much more expensive
    -foundry (the replacement of the forge) should get a 5% with copper. If you lack coal but have copper,it reduces the number of hammers. And even with coal, it does exactly the same.
    -great works shouldn't need for a fixes number of national buildings. If the city have the building required, it should be able to built it.small nations maybe not be able to build then because of this reason
    -gunpowder units (line infantry) should get a bonus against cavalry. Fusiliers and, specifically riflemen should get a bonus against it. Of course, late game cavalry shouldn't be affected but only because it mainly figthed as a mobile infantry.
    - riflemen should get at least a 50% bonus versus archers. The figths between the colonial empires and the natives shows that the rifle was much better than bows
    -distintive units should still do their duty. To make it clear, the best medieval anti-cav of russia are probably the Bowman's or a level 3 dismounted boyar because their pikemen only get a 25% against cav, making pikemen almost useless as any other unit get their job done (on the matter, all the Russians units feel worse than the opposition. I know they cost less, but with the price increase the reduced cost feel irrelevant).
    Civics:
    -forced labor seem to me as a very weak civic. Sacrifice population at later stages is usually too costly , and the increase on pandemic reduce your population even further. It could get a boost.
    -free comunards and working class feel too similar. I would prefer that the working class civic is more industrial center while the communards one is better for commerce.
    -tribal union should reduce the cost for maintenance on cities(after all the cities would be practically self ruled) but reduce the cultural output and even the scientific one(due to the lack of a central government) .this would make it an interesting option for early game, as it makes expansion early but hurt your research on the long run
    -monarchy need a boost. I feel that despotism or republic are better most of the time
    -theocracy should have a bigger decrease at research, -5% is not significant enough.
    - I feel that early civics could get more interesting . apart from paganism, the rest are really bland. Maybe some extra buildings would make playing as then more viable

That's all (what a wall of text) I hope that this suggestions are useful

8. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Thank you very much! This is a great gift for the holidays! I will try it out instantly.

I second Pepo on that:
    Evolving new civs would be a great way to make up for old civs conquered and gone. The difficult thing of course is how to calculate the appropriate strength (technologies, city developments, starting units) of the new civs.

9. Colon

Colon King

No.

I did get it to work properly by starting up vanilla BtS and loading the mod from from there. Only when I start up RI directly from the shortcut do I get crashes and requests to restart the application.

10. Lagarto

Lagarto Chieftain

Is the multiplayer capped to 4 players? I'm trying to play with other 4 friends but one will always not be able to join.

Playing through Steam.

11. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Direct IP is best for greater than 3 peeps.

12. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

The Great Person event handler gets an error after a while, when playing Mayans. Presumably after they've ran out of names, and are supposed to create a realistic-sounding random name. The GP is created but with no name.

13. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

1- Clear the Cache (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

2- Delete "CivilizationIV.ini" & "CivilizationIV.ini.bak" (C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword)

3- Launch "Civ4BeyondSword.exe"

4- Load the "Realism Mod"

5- Select PLAY NOW! (and Click always OK after)

6- IF the game loads, close it immediately (return to desktop)

7- Create a Desktop shortcut: "C:\Games\Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Realism (Wait to use it and load the game)

8- Configure "CivilizationIV.ini" (No IntroMovie, etc...)

9- Clear the Cache (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

10- You're set! Play the game NORMALLY with your own map settings, etc...

14. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

Another bug.

The horse whispering event. It's supposed to become obsolete at Renaissance, and it will correctly no longer trigger once you have discovered Critical Thought.

But the completion event obsoletes at techs Nationalism, Printing Press, Astronomy, Arquebus... and University, which is a Medieval Tech. Changing these to Critical Thought, Arquebus and Shipyards (IIRC the first possible Renaissance techs) should fix it. (Changing the trigger to obsolete at these should also be done.)

EDIT: Aand the classic literature quest seems to suffer from a similar problem.

15. Colon

Colon King

I basically have the same result as when I initially start up in BtS vanilla: it asks me to restart the application before I can load the save, though it doesn't crash en route.

16. civman110

civman110 Immortal

Thanks everyone for the new version! Excellently done as always! :)

17. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

You're doing something wrong.
    It's up to you to try different things.
    Suggestion: forget the old SAVE that you're trying to load.

18. Colon

Colon King

How is that going to help matters? I can play the save perfectly fine, I just need to load the mod twice, before I can play anything at all. The included shortcut sends things crashing, either trying to start a new game or to load a save.

Moreover, even when loading the mod via BtS vanilla, I get a crash when I try to start a new game through custom game.

19. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

Load the mod first (Realism), then use your Save.

Did you add a shortcut on your desktop ?

I told you how to do it before.

20. Colon

Colon King

Yes, I did everything exactly as you asked, twice. Custom game gives me a crash. Play scenario, custom scenario and loading a save (also one I created starting up the game with the new shortcut) require me to reload the mod. It's all no different from using the regular shortcut.