1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

I think I'm playing the last major release so this may not even be important to development but I'd still like to know what's going on.

I razed a Chinese city, the war destroyed their civilization
    Persia settled on the spot or the ring surrounding it
    I conquered said Persian city a while later and it got renamed to a Chinese city automatically on me taking over the city.

2. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

We have actually thought quite a lot about such a change before. Ultimately, we decided against it, because there are too many fundamental changes (including AI) required for it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good change, though.

Not totally removed, but nerfed a lot. I found it weird how barbarian territories would be more developed than regular civs lots of times...

Thanks! Please be on the lookout for it.

I adjusted it to depend on map size. On smaller maps (than Large map size) it will be more than 10%, on bigger ones less than 10%.

Great, now it looks like I was fishing for compliments. :blush:

Anyway, accounted for time spent, I think the artwork is what I spent most of my RI effort on. It means a lot to me to make it look good, and in a consistent way - so it doesn't look like a kitchen sink with all kinds of hastily created content thrown into it.

Me too man, me too. I actually had some conversations via PMs with him last couple of months, and he was contemplating it. I am very hopeful for his return.

I actually aped this one from Colonization, where pioneers were the guys building roads, fields etc. Is it that much jarring to see?

I am thinking about something along these lines. Can't guarantee anything particular, but still. And I begin to feel that Woodsman promos should indeed have more focus on attack too. A unit experienced in woodland tactics should totally slaughter someone new treading in the woods even when on offensive. Reducing health isn't a realistic idea without a lot of AI rework, since then we'll just see AI behaving like before and dying like flies in enemy territory.

If all you want is change some leaders, I'd recommend simply opening the scenario files in Notepad or another text editor of your choice. Changing leaders should be a fairly obvious task there.

It probably can be, but it'll take a lot of effort. I'd prefer a simpler solution.

Interesting. Haven't seen anything like that myself yet.

Those are much appreciated! I'll code them in with smallish changes as soon as the renaming code is fixed. Working on Armenian lists myself now (moving alphabetically).

There is some functionality where cities re-founded on the same spot keep their names. Since you owned that city before it was razed, it was considered "yours". Anyway, we'll have much more interesting functionality regarding city names in the future.

3. [Y]

[Y] Warlord

Makes sense.:) Do you guys have someone that actively works on the AI, or is that a field in need of a volunteer?

I am also incredibly thankful for the effort. The visual appeal of RI is immense.

Kind of. If you mentioned a "pioneer" to the average American, they are more likely to think of a wagon train than a normal worker. Also, "pioneer" would apply to anyone that went out west, including the townsfolk, and there's no reason to limit the term to those that did manual labor. The most iconic pioneers were woodsman, hunters, and explorers, actually.

Yeah. I currently never use Woodsman. It gives a good defense bonus... But forests and jungle already give a good defense bonus. The hills promotion bonus is more useful because it stacks with cities, while woodsman only stacks with one or two improvements. And the last level of woodsman doesn't give an advantage, it just evens the odds... And I'm not throwing a 10exp unit into a 50/50 chance battle.

Yeah, somehow when suggesting that, I forgot that the AI isn't programmed to withdraw when low in health.

4. Brackenspore

Brackenspore Prince

А мод ещё поддерживается? :d

5. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

Ещё как!;)

6. blueweasel10

blueweasel10 Chieftain

Fantastic mod, you can tell the amount of effort put into everything, job well done.

However it is unfortunately unplayable, due to AI behavior. Not sure if it has to do with the version I have, or maybe it didnt install correctly, but the AI is completely broken.

Play without aggressive AI on, nothing happens, at all. Got 4 hours in before I even realized there hadnt been a single war, ever. Started a new game on the included huge earth map in europe (germany), intentionally had 0 units in all my cities, still nothing.

Played with it on (germany again), still saw 0 wars between AI, but now a few of them declare war on me every 10 turns. But the odd part is they have never attacked a city. They just take an army and move from one end of my land to the other, burning tiles, but not attacking cities, even if there is 1 unit defending and they have 12 units.

Again, not sure whats going on. Going to try to reinstall it tonight if that helps. But as is this doesnt seem playable at all.

7. Civilai Khan

Civilai Khan Chieftain

Lennart Torstenson is a great engineer of Viking.
    His picure introduce he is a great general.

8. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

@blueweasel10

That... is really strange. I've played hundreds of games with this mod without seeing the behaviour you describe. On the other hand, I can't remember whether I play with aggressive AI on or not. Whichever I use, it is the default position.

And this mod is eminently playable, have no doubt about that. Not sure if the huge world map scenario has been properly updated to function well with the recent changes, though.

9. zantan

zantan Chieftain

I wanted to add to this; I am often frustrated by how underdeveloped the AI cities are. I typically play on Emperor and sometimes Monarch, and I find combat to be very rewarding at first, but inevitably I get a massive tech lead over the AI. Part of the problem is the constant whipping and I will try turning that off, but the AI is also terrible at building infrastructure in general and cottages in particular.

I will usually have 6 pop cities compared to AI 1-3 pop cities. I try to have 2 cottages per city plus as many storytelling circles as possible in order to support expansion, but often the AI will have completely undeveloped cities for centuries after I have cottages supporting every city. They do build cottages eventually, but after I have a massive lead and long long after they researched architecture.

I think turning whipping off is a good idea, and of course raging barbarians make the problem worse because the AI can't deal with them well, but I think the root problem is the AI overproducing units. In my last game Rome was a real challenge for me because it had they pyramids boosting research, but after we were at war I spied Rome's tech rate and calculated that its science was 0%; It was relying entirely on the pyramids for research. And they were the tech leaders in the game! In the game before that the most disheartening moment was when I sent out ships to check up on the other continent, centuries after last contact. Every single city I could find was the same size, and I didn't see any new improvements other than roads.

10. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

Just wanted to point out that I think AI regularly switches to 0% science when it needs an income boost to upgrade units. (Not 100% sure.) Also, they have cities building Research a lot.

11. zantan

zantan Chieftain

Good to know, thanks. Does anyone else find that the AI doesn't build enough improvements?

12. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

I really haven't noticed that. AI lands tend to be typically more improved than mine -- unless they've been waging wars for long with other AIs. AI is very good at completely razing the countryside.

13. zantan

zantan Chieftain

And terrible at defending against pillaging barbarians, which I think is a major problem with the raging barbarians setting.

14. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Has the Paddlewheeler range been mentioned yet? Civilopedia and ingame show it as having 5 movement points but unit has 7 when build.

15. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

You're forgetting technology bonuses: some of them give additional movement points to water units.

16. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

It turns out that this seems to happen only whenever a civ that's yet to use the new name system captures a city. So it should be a self-correcting problem, gone once all the civs have been handled.

17. Civilai Khan

Civilai Khan Chieftain

I customed Japan in Huge Scenario MAP.
    Add some resources, for example Bessi Coppoer Mine,Itoi jade,Ningyoutouge Uran Mine,Yubari coal Mine(Yubari is the famaous city of Bad news today)
    Hotate Clam in Hokkaido (My friend is a aquaculture fisherman in Hokkaido),Kaga-Hyakumangoku rice (this area is not hill, but plain)
    And some island and Shinano river which is the longest river in Japan.

If someone wants this custom Map, I will up this MAP.

And one of the best man for the Japanese leader is 天武天皇
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Tenmu

PS:Kokka Shinto is one religion of solar cult
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Shinto

18. Propunk

Propunk Warlord

Hello, RI fans. This is probably not the "right" forum to ask this, but I trust you: I've uninstalled civ4 in my recently converted win7 to win 10 pc. I've been trying my best to reinstall civ4, but it's been just impossible. The vanilla civ4 installation process simply freezes. I've already searched the web a lot of times, but have found no useful instructions. If any of u could help me, I'd be very grateful. Thank you in advance!

19. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

I recently played a game where I went for a science victory, but at the turn of the modern era, I "accidentally" scored a culture victory instead. I didn't build culture, use the culture slider, or prioritize great artists. I did build a couple of the cultural great works in my 3rd highest culture city as a matter of routine, but that is all. This is no doubt due to science progressing more slowly now, so the culture limit for legendary culture should maybe be increased to compensate.

Another thing, does anyone else think that University of Sankore wonder (+2 science per state religious building) is slightly OP? For me, it's the strongest wonder of the Medieval era. Although you can build fewer cities now, the increased need for more science output still weighs heavily in its favor. It's +4 base science (ie. subject to multipliers) in almost every city, roughly equivalent of building the (extremely expensive later game wonder) Statue of Liberty to have all cities run one extra Scientist. It is limited in that when not running state religion, you only get the Great Scientist points, but that's not common during medieval era. It's cheap to build too, with stone.

I suggest that it give only +1 science per building, or alternatively were obsoleted much earlier (currently obsoleted with Information Networking!), or both.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Cultural Victory came up recently.
    Other than increasing the threshold, we can (should?) also increase the number of legendary-cultured cities needed for the victory.
    Probably it should also scale with the size of the map.
    4 cities on standard sounds about right to me, but it's kinda grey area ATM with the new science penalty recently introduced.