1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Do they?

2. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I mean that w/ all the best ...In terms of cycles yes. Torches are past legacies continue etc.. :beer:

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I just mean, the Civ3 community is still going strong. I've never seen that kind of camaraderie or tenacity of the same kind with Civ4. I wish I learned to mod this game alot sooner. Now Civ6 is here. I hope it can be modded to the same extent as this game.

4. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

You are very right. We have great MODs in Civ 3 and even older MODs are being redone.

I don't see a reason to abandon this great project here. I would only know how I can avoid my mod game crashes since I upgraded to Win10. Anyone?

5. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Chieftain

You might've hit the nail on the head with that one. :/ I need to buy another computer soon, but there's no Win 7 preinstalled ones available anymore, which means a big hassle just because I know that I can't play this game properly on Win10.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Interesting. I also use Windows 10, and don't experience any crashes with any of the mods I tried recently.

About the future of RI:
    Walter didn't mean that after the release of the next full version all work will cease on the mod.
    Bugfixes, further small(er) enhancements will definitely happen even if the team decides that it's the last big hit.
    And if the stars aling, it's not even sure that the next one will be the last full version.
    (btw, are there any Civ III mods still being actively developed?)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Daft73 likes this.
  7. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I was mis-understood. I would love for RI to continue as well...I still play Civ4 a bit and recently started firing up CIv3 again:old:..looking into those mods now.

8. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

yes, there are still MODs developed. In fact the modders seem to still be able to finetune the editor to give us more content. It's quite amazing. Have a look at CCM, which will get to its 2.0 version soon.

9. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

All right, first of all I would like to address everyone who's sad that 3.4 will be the last major RI release. Firstly, I may have been unclear - this in no way has to do anything directly with Civ VI release. I haven't played Civ VI yet, and I won't at least until it goes on a steam sale - as I haven't played Civ V until all the expansions came out, and even then not a lot. So, it doesn't matter if Civ VI is good or bad; at this point it's so vastly different to what we have in RI that we could be separate franchises.

Basically, it has more to do with real life; the core people of this mod who have been dedicated to improving it for years (I am tempted to say "decades", even), are slowly moving on to other stuff. The fact that 3.4 is going to be our last major version is just observation-based. We seem to not have as much free time on our hands to create enough content for another major release (as you know, even in better times it took us a year or more to put those out), and, OTOH, the mod is already somewhere where we like it quite a lot - rather close to something we can consider "finished".

Secondly, it doesn't mean that RI is getting abandoned. It's just that, realistically speaking, nothing major and game-changing is likely going to be added post-3.4. We (or at least I) will still be here to address potential issues and bugs.

I came to the same conclusion eventually. Specifically on World Maps, we increased the research speed.

Will look into conscripts specifically. I don't have a ready answer yet.

That wouldn't fix that particular exploit though. One would just bring down the defenses first and THEN keep pounding at units. I guess that's an exploit we have to live with, as I don't even see any elegant way of potentially fixing it save removing bombardment XP altogether.

Yeah, it was the case with this particular quest. I looked it up, and fixed it as well.

And implemented. I also don't remember if there were any legitimate woes concerning this or if it was just forgotten. So I just went and did it.

Thanks, forgot to do it. Now they're playable.

Yep, that's my feeling too. Since the results by different scripts are so varied, base civ count per map size is more of a suggestion - I also find myself tweaking the actual number based on the map I want to play.

That's the main idea, to make smaller civs more viable. Being big still has a lot of other advantages, but at least it doesn't automatically put you ahead in tech.

I am toying in my head with hard upper logistic-based limit of units per tile, but I am not sure if it won't utterly devastate AI.

Thanks; again, this was the general idea behind it - more choices and trade-offs for the player. Where once expanding was a relative no-brainer, different strategies are now possible.

Well, we did what we could regarding unit upgrade costs. Lowering them too much would open up too many exploits where it would be possible to output lots of obsolete units and then upgrade them instead of actually building modern ones.

Guns not Butter requires Taj Mahal, not Zeus. OTOH, I looked into a quest that does require Zeus, and you are quite right in that it didn't recognize the flavor versions of the wonder. Now it does.

Will look into it.

It is unfortunately unlikely that any new playable civs will be added at this point.

10. ronehjr

ronehjr Chieftain

I'm having trouble with the install. First I got Civ 4 thru steam, and the install for invictus couldn't find the directory, even with the browse feature Tried GOG, same thing, copied and pasted everthing i the mod folder, first game was fine, but now I cannot load it. When I try to run invictus, am told it is an invalid mod. Going to uninstall and try again. Any advice.

11. ronehjr

ronehjr Chieftain

Never mind. I kept re-installing and now it shows up on the game menu when it's running. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I got it now.

12. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

the increased cost per city is indeed very well working. In my last game on Immortal, by the begining of the Miedieval Era till well into renaissance, the Tech leader was Poland queen , on its own on a small continent with just 5 cities and no one to trade with. On the biggest continent, we were 8 civs, with the biggest one having about 15 cities.

13. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven Chieftain

This is my first time trying this mod and it is very nice and I can see a lot of work has gone into it. However I have one minor question/suggestion. Germany's tank tree goes from the Panzer IV to the M47/48 Patton. I find this a bit bizarre. It just skips right over the Panther, Tiger I, and Tiger II. In my opinion, the Panther should replace the Panzer IV for Germany's and Austria's medium tank, and the Tiger I should replace the M47/48 Patton for Germany's and Austria's main battle tank. The Tiger II could become another unique unit for Germany and Austria.

14. Walter Hawkwood

A PSA of sorts: it looks like we won't be releasing for Christmas. For 3.4, I'd like to finish both city lists and GP splashes for all civs, and realistically that will probably not happen before 24th.

I'm torn here on whether isolated starts are now OP or not - because while it is more often true now, the tech lead seems to disappear when that lonely civ starts colonizing (first) and founds lots of cities on other continents.

Nope. Addressed those several times already, and I will repeat that again. In Civ 4 terms, not a single unit of either Panther, Tiger or Tiger II was built in history. Realistically, a Civ 4 unit is no less than a division by modern era, and there have never been heavy tank divisions fielded by any army. Therefore, heavy tank is not a regular unit for any civ in RI. I understand that these machines (and their allied counterparts/adversaries like Soviet KV/IS series and US Pershing) are cool and all, but they wouldn't be realistic to have on rosters. While Panther could qualify as a medium tank, I feel that Panzer IV, which was the most numerous tank in the German army and its "work horse" is much more representative of German WW2-era panzercorps, with Panthers entering service only as late as the battle of Kursk (by which time German defeat was more or less inevitable).

And the only thing Nazi Germany ever produced that could be considered an MBT was E50 design, but it had never reached production. Unlike that, M47/48 was actually used by post-war German military en masse (more than 1000). When there's a historically available design, we try not to use what is essentially (plausible) fantasy. It's not even a question of availability - I have an excellent E50 I could use, but choose not to. Same actually goes for France - while they have their own ARL 44 design we could use (and it even reached production), only a few of these were ever produced, and Pattons are again used in their place, since those were the main post-war French MBTs. Admittedly, in case of MBTs I was in both cases torn between realism/flavor options I have. Would be interesting to hear what others think about it...

15. LordBaal

LordBaal Sistem Lord

I would say make a small flavor patch where you can use the E50 and ARL44 for the germans/french and make it optional. Do not include that in the changes on the mod but as a separated zip to download and install if you wish so. So if one really wants them, it's have to be done manually and knowingly it might break your multiplayer capability.

16. Walter Hawkwood

No, I won't do compromise on this one :) It will take me quite some time to convert and add those units, so if I do that, I'll just put them into the main mod. To get a definitive opinion, I actually created a doodle vote, and I encourage everyone who wants their input heard to vote there. Please use your forum name or I will not count your vote and delete it; otherwise I can't filter out double-voting and spam (which happens there). If your vote got deleted by accident, you should post here or send me a PM and let me know: http://doodle.com/poll/6t5v6e7wvhwade5w

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  17. LordBaal

LordBaal Sistem Lord

Voted. While would be somewhat fantasy, I'm pretty sure the Romans weren't at war with the Aztecs over an oil rich archipelago either.

I think it's an acceptable break. It's not like you are introducing advanced robotic bipedal mech for WWII era tanks.

18. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven Chieftain

About 6,000 Panther tanks were produced, I would say that is enough to qualify at least having the Panther as another unique unit for Germany. About 1,347 Tiger I tanks were built, and about 492 Tiger II tanks were built. The Tiger II was fielded specifically in heavy tank divisions though, and they were not usually given piecemeal to the infantry. Maybe have the Tiger II as a unique unit that only 2 of can be built, to represent the superiority of late war German armor designs such as the Tiger I and II, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger, and Ferdinand. They were not built in large numbers, but they certainty had an impact on the morale of the allies that far exceed their numbers. Sorry for all the suggestions, but I am a WWII history fan and cannot help myself.

LordBaal likes this.
  19. Pepo

Pepo Chieftain

There were actually heavy tanks battalion in both Germany and USSR. And also civ 4 units aren't division size, else units like feudal knights or archer or machine gun wouldn't be there as they never figthed without other supporting units

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  20. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Hey.

I just posted a scenario map for Realism:Invictus and wanted to share it in this thread as well. Link here.

I called the scenario "Rushing Industrialism", because it starts in the year 1800. The ancient, classical and medieval era are all over already, colonization has begun. The player is tasked to lead his civ towards the end game. All victories except cultural are allowed.

Feedback is appreciated (in that thread over there). If the map is any good, I'd be honored if an adapted version could be later included in R:I 3.4 - But at this point of development it's just wishful thinking.

I'm not in the loop about all the changes done in the current SVN version (only reading this thread from time to time), so I'd just like to say that I was missing some civs/leaders I'd have loved to include. I made do with renaming leaders, renaming civs, swapping flags and then crudely mixing them all together (very grateful that R:I already has so many leaders and civs!).