Realism Invictus

I believe from information gathered around, the 32 bit application that civ IV is written for is able to handle 3.8 GB on a 64 bit operating system (such as win7 and win10). Any crashes before that is prolly something else (aka not the limit caused by size/memory).
The largest I have been up to and still have my mod running is 3.6GB (on a 200x120 map with 30 civs in 2022AD)

https://www.viva64.com/en/k/0036/

edit: I believe that Civ4 BtS 3.19 have largeaddressaware turned on, and on a 64 bit system you shouldnt have to do anything else (I havent, and as mentioned I had my mod running past the 3.5GB (and certainly above the 2GB) without any problems (beside several minutes long turn times)) ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm... mine seems to be crashing at around 2.1GB now. Win 7 used to be OK. Not sure what is causing it, but turning on single unit graphics and low res textures seems to have moved the game size to around 1.7GB so that's helping, at least for now.

edit: In any case thanks! :) (this gives me some direction)

It is 64bit. Overall the game is more unstable, I have some early crashes where memory is not referenced, however after reloading, it moves past those points without issue. Starting a new game to see if it will start crashing once I move past 2GB in size.

Could it be that video memory is being overloaded as I only have a 2GB video card? (same card with Win7 system, so perhaps stretching it a bit, or this game just run better before Win10?!?)

In SVN 5053 I've been getting consistent crashes when exiting to to the main menu using the button in the options (ESC) menu after starting a new game. However I haven't experienced crashes when I retire or otherwise get defeated and exit to the menu. So far I have seen this bug on large and standard size maps with the berbers, hindi, and japan. Scripts used were earth evolution 3 and RI planet generator using default settings at prince difficulty and realistic game speed. I haven't tested the exit to desktop function yet, or any of the other map sizes.

When playing 3.3 this bug was not present. If it matters, I've been launching the mod using the load a mod option in the bts menu.

my system is windows 10 x64 on a dell inspiron 15 using intel intergrated graphics and an i5 2.3 ghz 2 core cpu.

Also, in the last game I played in 3,3 the turk ekbi didn't count for the horse whisperer quest, as I built 12 of them and it did not count as complete. (a rival civ completed the quest 20 or so turns later).

Otherwise, the current SVN runs well and the new assets look really nice.

Also, does the earth evolution script place reefs or islands? I haven't seen those on that script so far. (incidentally they're a really nice addition)

I'm modding the previous version of this mod and to limit units production I have set some prereq bonus and I want that a unit consumes an amount of those resources. I saw the string "consumesbonuses" as precompiled in python, used for buildings, I want to add it in units.xml files, but I cant find the right place in the unitschema file. Someone knows how to do?

Hello! I really love this mod. It is by far my favorite out of all the other civilization mods, with the only bad thing being it doesn't have revolutions in it. Nonetheless, the sheer amount of detail in this mod makes playing every civilization unique. There were two things I was wondering:

1: is there any way to start a game at industrial age on the huge world map? One thing I like about this mod is that you can start at later ages and begin to progress a lot easier than in other mods (in several other mods the AI doesn't even build cities after the medieval age), and I would love to be able to start at industrial or modern era.

2: Many civilizations have special units with notable features throughout the game, even non-unique units. For example, Mali skirmishers have 5 attack instead of 4, and others have slightly different bonuses. Is there a list or general guideline anywhere detailing particularly distinctive units, even if its just "Mongol cavalry have -1 movement cost" or "Russian units are cheaper" or similar generalizations.

So all i need to do is station a spy in every city and i'm completely spy-proof? There is no way, my enemy will plant a spy in my cities? That cant be a good thing, it seams to easy.

Hence I also added a restriction on the amount of spy units. Now it is no longer too easy. :)

For what it's worth, the spy restriction only seems to be enforced when you are at war with the other spies' owner. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. On the one hand, it makes wartime espionage much harder (and defense much easier), but on the other with the AIs' tendency to spam units, for all I know there could be a dozen spies in every city by midgame.

Exactly, that was another reason for this. I think AI loves spies much more than human players do.

Would it be possible to tied up unit maintenance & cost with total population of an empire? I really dislike increasing marginal cost from both a personal perspective and a gaming perspective without another variable that also adjust them. However, by linking then to population, there is a limit on Unit spam and also doesn't need to led to the ridiculous situation where a battleship is cheaper to build than an tank, as all the cost are modified by the same variable. I may also add that it could make warfare even more interesting as not only production but population is taken into account

That is not something I'd be willing to implement, from gaming perspective. Current mechanism tries balancing smaller civs with larger ones. More cities is almost always equal to more population, so that would render the whole thing pointless - then it would be easier to remove the whole mechanic altogether. BTW, it is of course not "a battleship vs a tank", but "a battleship vs a tank division" in game logic.

I noticed in my current SVN game that World Wonders can be destroyed when you conquer a city, is that intended (was it already the case?) ?
I quite honestly don't like it :-(

It has been like this for quite a while (and I think it is like this in vanilla as well). Wonders have a chance to be destroyed on capture, reasonably assumed from their nature (for instance, you can't really destroy Pyramids, while a Great Library is very vulnerable).

Hi folks,
There is no text attached to the latest SVN revision 5052. What is the content of this update ?
Thanks.

Thanks for pointing out. I think I took care of it with the next SVN revision. Always nice to see that someone actually reads this stuff :)

GazProm produces two natural gas, yet requires gas plant to build, which requires gas... Is this intentional for some reason or just an oversight?

No, that's intentional. It is meant to represent the fact that, unlike oil, natural gas production is rather unevenly distributed in the world. There are only two major exporters (Russia and Canada), and this wonder tries to simulate that by giving a country with gas reserves (a rather rare resource, so it is unlikely any given civ would have more than one or two) additional gas to trade away.

A question which must have been answered many times, but if anyone could point me to the answer itself? :)

It appears to me that in Win7 I was able to play for longer before hitting the memory wall, but as this was a loooong time ago, I might have done some Civ specific memory adjustment which made it better. Moved to Win10 in the meantime and the game is definitely crashing earlier (medieval, around crucible steel) on a giant map so...

Any specific settings in Windows10 to allocate CivIV more memory to avoid memory related crashes? (or just a link to where this is likely already discussed in detail? )

Heh... It's a question that has been answered many times, yet never with certainty. If you are playing the release version, could you do a simple (though a bit time consuming) experiment for me? Could you please unpack your assets (fpk files) and delete the actual fpk's, leaving only the unpacked stuff. The game will take forever to load (about 20 min), but it may be that you will be able to play without memory-related crashes. I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that either proves or disproves that.

In SVN 5053 I've been getting consistent crashes when exiting to to the main menu using the button in the options (ESC) menu after starting a new game. However I haven't experienced crashes when I retire or otherwise get defeated and exit to the menu. So far I have seen this bug on large and standard size maps with the berbers, hindi, and japan. Scripts used were earth evolution 3 and RI planet generator using default settings at prince difficulty and realistic game speed. I haven't tested the exit to desktop function yet, or any of the other map sizes.

When playing 3.3 this bug was not present. If it matters, I've been launching the mod using the load a mod option in the bts menu.

my system is windows 10 x64 on a dell inspiron 15 using intel intergrated graphics and an i5 2.3 ghz 2 core cpu.

Yeah, I've noticed that myself. We will try to hunt this down and fix it, but I am not sure if it is something we even can do.

Also, in the last game I played in 3,3 the turk ekbi didn't count for the horse whisperer quest, as I built 12 of them and it did not count as complete. (a rival civ completed the quest 20 or so turns later).

Thanks, will have a look and fix. These quest triggers are a constant source of pain for me, as they are written in an extremely inconsistent manner (for instance, one quest would reference a building class, and hence all flavor buildings too, while another only the default building of the class).

Also, does the earth evolution script place reefs or islands? I haven't seen those on that script so far. (incidentally they're a really nice addition)

It doesn't if you don't randomize features. But thanks for bringing this to my attention, I am going to add them to the default Earth Evo map as well, so they are there by default (as well as other RI-specific features).

Hello! I really love this mod. It is by far my favorite out of all the other civilization mods, with the only bad thing being it doesn't have revolutions in it. Nonetheless, the sheer amount of detail in this mod makes playing every civilization unique. There were two things I was wondering:

1: is there any way to start a game at industrial age on the huge world map? One thing I like about this mod is that you can start at later ages and begin to progress a lot easier than in other mods (in several other mods the AI doesn't even build cities after the medieval age), and I would love to be able to start at industrial or modern era.

2: Many civilizations have special units with notable features throughout the game, even non-unique units. For example, Mali skirmishers have 5 attack instead of 4, and others have slightly different bonuses. Is there a list or general guideline anywhere detailing particularly distinctive units, even if its just "Mongol cavalry have -1 movement cost" or "Russian units are cheaper" or similar generalizations.

1. You'd have to do it through WorldBuilder - go there and set every civ to be in the desired era. You can even save the resulting scenario afterwards, so you don't have to do it more than once.

2. Not at the moment. I considered adding a writeup on that to the manual, but it is obviously rather time-consuming. We have a very exhaustive pedia though, so if you'd like to get a big picture of a civ's roster, you can go to the unit upgrade tree and have a look.

Heh... It's a question that has been answered many times, yet never with certainty. If you are playing the release version, could you do a simple (though a bit time consuming) experiment for me? Could you please unpack your assets (fpk files) and delete the actual fpk's, leaving only the unpacked stuff. The game will take forever to load (about 20 min), but it may be that you will be able to play without memory-related crashes. I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that either proves or disproves that.

It must be some niche bug which was introduced with Win7>Win10 upgrade that somehow caps BTS.exe to 2GB again. Those old DX9 games used to copy the whole game to video memory IIRC, so this may have somehow been inadvertently reintroduced with Win10. I am hoping that having 4GB space on gfx card may save me, and am overdue a gfx card upgrade either way, but once that fails (as it likely will), I will try the suggestion above.

*I started another game, and sure enough reaching 2GB game size kills it without fail, I can reproduce it on the same turn this time.

It must be some niche bug which was introduced with Win7>Win10 upgrade that somehow caps BTS.exe to 2GB again. Those old DX9 games used to copy the whole game to video memory IIRC, so this may have somehow been inadvertently reintroduced with Win10. I am hoping that having 4GB space on gfx card may save me, and am overdue a gfx card upgrade either way, but once that fails (as it likely will), I will try the suggestion above.

*I started another game, and sure enough reaching 2GB game size kills it without fail, I can reproduce it on the same turn this time.

It might be that as well, but as I said, I have some reasons to believe it also might be the way we packed the assets for 3.3 (basically the individual fpk files are too large and the executable has trouble juggling them in the allocated memory).

I can actually confirm that.
At least I found it that way in my limited tests, and more importantly a lot of more experimented people with FPKs pointed me in that direction.

As far as I know:
Many art files in the FPK will definitely cause more frequent MAFs
Especially unit art, in most cases that is the biggest contributor by far. And RI is most certainly a world recorder in unit art :)
It matters to a much less extent whether the art is in a big file, or several smaller ones.
In fact someone even claims that from 7-8 separate FPKs will significantly harm the game performance, even if they are small.
(I myself never tried that many though)

The main benefit of FPKs are the loading time, which is also a very significant factor here.
Using them might even save some time during actual gameplay too, but it's not that significant, on the other hand it takes up significantly more memory.
As MAFs in Civ IV are already dangerous because of outdated memory-handling, the use of FPKs might push a lot on the number of experienced crashes.
So for huge mods like RI it's a very interesting question what's the better solution.
Xyth (the author of HR) for example definitely claims that unpacking all units would be more beneficial.
We can't really do that here though. Loading time would be unbearable.

1. You'd have to do it through WorldBuilder - go there and set every civ to be in the desired era. You can even save the resulting scenario afterwards, so you don't have to do it more than once.

The thing is, if you do that, it doesn't unlock all the required techs. Adding the techs individually to every civ is EXTREMELY tedious, and I was just wondering if there was a faster way

The thing is, if you do that, it doesn't unlock all the required techs. Adding the techs individually to every civ is EXTREMELY tedious, and I was just wondering if there was a faster way

I don't know if you noticed, but when adding techs there is a "+all" button in upper right corner, so adding techs by era can be done in two clicks (filter techs by era, add all). Another potential way to handle this is to add techs to one civ, save WB file, then copy/paste the tech part to other civs in the file.

I already knew that. If you do it like how its described, it does not add any prerequisite techs. When I tried editing the textfile, it gave me a *maploading failure* error. Nonetheless, thank your for trying to help.

Just researched Archery Training as the Germans, and discover that I cannot build longbow units, but get something called "The Horde", which I cannot build. What is it for?

Thanks.

So as far as revolutions are concerned have you ever checked into History Rewritten's civil war mechanic? Its a pretty simplistic system, uses only xml, and has a nice HUD within the city screen that's pretty clear as to recognize what going on as far as stability is concerned. Not only that but it manages to make civil war both a possibility and yet also preventable by the player so as to not ruin gameplay experience.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does it affect the AI? That's one of my favorite parts of the Revolution mod- its always exciting to watch an area degenerate into squabbling city states. Also, do you think its possible to have it generate multiple instances of the same civilization?

Last edited:
Top Bottom