1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

Neither Sejong Taewang nor Mansa Musa are the best macro leaders since their weaknesses are also economy-related. Especially Sejong's - his populism will cost more as game progresses. Actually if one could count all the numbers of all trait combinations I wouldn't be surprised if dark horses like administrator or legislator would have won. (I hope I didn't mess with tenses:mischief:)

P.S. I have access only to SVN 5108.
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

Same here. It says "update finished at revision 5109" but the log shows only up to 5108.

As for Sejong, I like the leader, too. Let's not forget that Korea has an always useful unique improvement, and a pretty good unique building (better university) which the progressive also makes cheaper, iirc.

3. arizzi

arizzi Chieftain

Forgot to answer, I don't usually dont enable play to win. For what that's worth.

Also thank you all for looking into my save. I guess it is on my end. May I ask what operating system are you using. I am using windows 10 and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. Also is yours installed under program files or program files(x86)? Ill try running as administrator see if that fixes anything.

4. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

All right everyone, I'm going for a 10-day vacation, during which I won't be posting here much. Of course, when the installer is ready I will let you know nevertheless.

Well, my own experience (at least statistics from watching the AI) shows that there is some merit to what your friend is doing, but not the Korea part - the starting position is a much better predictor of AI success than any leader. Korean civ is among the overall overperformers when it comes to AI, but I always felt this was due to AI behaviour (for instance, more focus on farms due to their unique improvement) than any particular bonuses.

That is perfectly normal. 5109 deals with installer files, not with the mod. It shouldn't show up in the mod changelog.

Win 10. In general, I don't see much difference between Win 7 and Win 10 when it comes to Civ 4 stability.

5. DSChapin

DSChapin Warlord

I really think that maybe the way to handle jungles is to have an early jungle "civic", much like there is an early pasture civic now. This could be tuned so as to make jungles actually competitive with other starts, but would mean giving up other civic bonuses. That would let civs survive in the jungle early until they could advance enough to clear them and return to a "normal" style of play.

6. ThirstQuencher

ThirstQuencher Chieftain

Oh man just reading the forum for like 20 minutes I realize that civ 4 with this modpack has so much potential. I've only ever played Civ V, standard and with VP. I'm not even sure where to start with if I were to start playing civ 4 right now. I don't even have the game myself. So question is should I buy it (and where do I buy it now that the Winter Sale is over :O) and if so should I start of with vanilla civ or just jump the gun and start off with this modpack. Sorry if this is off-topic but I wasn't sure were to post it ;(

7. haroon

haroon Deity

I think you should have CIV 4 and its complete expansion pack (beyond the sword and warlord) at your collection, you cannot skip the expansion pack because most of the good mods need it. I really recommend you play Civ 4 with this mod, there are so many awesome thing in this mod, however there is one feature in this mod that makes me nearly unable to play civ 4 game without it: "changing technology transfer and brokering with research boost via open border".

Civ 5 is a failure compare to this. It is like comparing baby educational toys with a good strategy board game

ThirstQuencher likes this.
  8. ThirstQuencher

ThirstQuencher Chieftain

@haroon I agree that feature is something very nice, does not seem gamey whatsoever. I'm thinking of buying it on G2A for 2.88, is it possible to find it for cheaper :scan:? I'm buying a version that is compatible with steam and this mod correct? What difficulty should I start off with when running this mod? Do you know if civ 4 scales with higher resolutions? 1440p to be specific

9. haroon

haroon Deity

I'm sure the complete edition is compatible in this mod, and steam compatibility as far as I know is really not necessary, however if you think it is important I guess it should be compatible as long as it is a legal copy, but I might be wrong here.

If you never play civ 4 before, and you never play this mod, treat yourselves chieftain difficulty and take it for introduction and tutorial. Get to know the interface, the game, the tech, and all other mechanic. This mod is not an easy mod, beside fun, detail and exploration it is also provides challenge. Different geographical location, different leader, different civilization, may bring you to different gameplay. Hence don't worry to start the game with the easiest difficulty, because this mod provides a high replay value, higher than civilization 4, not to mention civilization 5.

I never really give attention about that issue, maybe other can help you regarding this.

That's so cheap, lots cheaper than steam. 5 usd for civ game is never wasted.

10. Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus Warlord

Since i'm not patient enough to wait for the installer, how do i update the mod using SVN? Should i uninstall the current RI first?

11. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

12. Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus Warlord

13. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

You create a new folder named Realism. And install the SVN version to a Realism folder. The folder names are different so you don't have to uninstall Realism Invictus.

14. Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus Warlord

So then where should i load the mod from afterwards? From Realism or the main one?

15. Lord Brooks

Lord Brooks Big Noob

My experience of MP is similar. There's three of us that play too. We play on the SVN version, usually within 10 versions of the most up to date, depending on how our game is going and how often we play. So anything I mention here is based on the latest SVN experience.

One of my group religiously goes Moshoeshoe of the Nguni because of his traits (charismatic and politician) for the +3 relations boost with the AI. He hates wars and prefers to build slowly and concentrate on developing his cities. So he always goes Moshoeshoe to lessen the chance of an AI declaring war, this also gives him the breathing space to expand slow and steady and concentrate on his 'builder' play style. Occasionally he goes Robert the Bruce (charismatic and protective), again so that he gets the AI relations boost and the nice defensive protection. Celtic walls (Dun) are also better than standard walls. Me and the other player just accept this is his style, he plays too slow and too conservative to ever really threaten the top civs (AI or human) so he's not really exploiting an 'easy victory' civ/leader combo.

Moving onto starting location; this in my opinion is critical and can be the deciding factor in my experience. Terrain is more important than the leader or civ you choose. Jungles or tundra are regular reasons for my group to re-load a new game, because experience tells us a good start spot can mean the difference between death and survival once you get to the medieval era. Especially if you have a slow, builder play style. If you start in jungle or in the tundra, your long term prospects mean aggressive expansion is critical to your survival. You have to get out of that jungle/tundra and take down any rivals quickly, before you get locked in unfavourable terrain by powerful neighbours.

Poor start locations ultimately lead to an early defeat and us restarting the game on a new map.

When it comes to Sejong Taewang it's worth exploring how his bonuses stack up.

The Korean communal farming is a good UI, but it's not like it goes hand in hand with either of Sejong's traits. The additional production you can get from communal farms is great, plus the food boost means he can eventually work more tiles, support more cities and concentrate on exploiting the financial trait. Rivers are a massive bonus with financial leaders though, so I can see why he demands river starts, because you can quickly maximize your +1:commerce: on tiles with 3:commerce: on a river.

Finally progressive is a very powerful trait because of the reduction to upgrade costs. In total he's looking at a total of +10% :science: once he gets the Seowon's (university) built. If he's ahead on tech and can upgrade cheaply that is a very powerful advantage.

So in short if he starts by rivers, away from tundra, then he can maximise the power of his financial trait, which should give an early commerce bonus and in turn an early research bonus. Then he can cement that bonus as his communal farming kicks in to maximum food and city growth (tundra is bad for growth), as a side bonus he has some decent additional production and once he gets ahead in tech, he builds his Seowons to get an additional +5%:science: (now +10%:science: in total) and he can upgrade his units cheaper than the other civs.

In addition, if he also builds the right wonders/buildings, for example the colossus, lighthouses, fishing docks and the moai statues his water tiles can be a huge advantage with the financial trait. Each coast would generate 2:food:, 1:hammers:, 4:commerce:.

All in all, when the geography is right and the player chooses the right buildings, wonders and civics then Sejong can be a scientific and commercial powerhouse.

On the other hand, why would you ever choose a leader and then not play to their strengths?

16. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

I do it this way: start a vanilla BTS game, click ADVANCED - LOAD A MOD - select Realism from a list, wait several minutes until it loads and play.

17. Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus Warlord

So that means the old Realism Invictus folder isn't needed? Can i delete/uninstall it to preserve space?

18. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

Sure.

19. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

These new Mongol units are magnificent. Really detailed and very appealing to look at. :D I really appreciate the new unit graphics and always look forward to them. I hope one day for Japan to have these, especially in the ancient era. :) Who makes these units? And would they be willing to show how? I'm also very interested in making new units too.

20. Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus Warlord

Okay so i successfully downloaded it, but when i load the mod, it just cuts back to my desktop with Civ 4 still running on the background. Why is this?
    EDIT: Nevermind it loads now. Thanks for bearing with me