1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

That would be perfectly fine, it was my hope when I started working on it that someone with more experience in RI like yourself would help in the balancing process. And it would be especially nice to see it be included in future RI releases!

2. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

hi RI team and friends,

im considering to start a game with 3.4,
    i have some questions based on gameplays of people here:

1. how does the ai act compared to base kmod? is it challenging? smart?
    2. what are the best settings for a game? i usually like to play on standard, i dont like lagging of later stages and slow turns.
    3.what are bugs and stuff you are aware of?

besides that, im very happy to see this grand mod still being alive! may it will be for the next 10 years also.

3. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

In order of questions:

1. I sure hope it is. We made a point of not adding stuff AI can't use and removing the more obvious exploits that gave humans an edge over AI. I wouldn't call it brilliant, and a good player is still better, but that's true for any iteration of Civ I saw.
    2. There are several map scripts bundled with RI, such as PerfectMongoose or PlanetGenerator - to me, they give the best RI experience. Can be used with most default map scripts if you like those. I'd say sticking to standard/large is a good decision.
    3. No major ones I'd say. I wouldn't call it bug-free obviously, as nothing ever truly is, but 3.4 was released only after we fixed every major thing we could. AI can still become hyper-aggressive in certain unknown situations, but lately I can't see I saw it happen too much.

4. terian1980

terian1980 Chieftain

Hi. Please forgive me for my English, I write through the translator. How can I change the configuration XML to speed up production with gold will be under any paradigm?

5. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

I assume you want to add the option of hurrying production with gold to a civic.

Go to
    ... Mods\Realism\Assets\XML\GameInfo
    Edit CIV4CivicInfos.xml with a text editor.
    For every civic you wish to be able to hurry buildings with gold, change the line
    <Hurrys/>
    to
    <Hurrys>
    <Hurry>
    <HurryType>HURRY_GOLD</HurryType>
    <bHurry>1</bHurry>
    </Hurry>
    </Hurrys>

6. CF101010

CF101010 Chieftain

Hi All
    There are some new indicators in RI, "total maintenance" e.g. IMO there would be very useful to have it in the Domestic Advisor screen.
    BTW can't figure out how the "maintenance" column (red coin) already existing in DA is calculated.

7. krasny

krasny Prince

Is there anyway I can stop a Bronze Works from consuming bronze in order to build an Electric Gear Factory?

8. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

You don't have to. Buildings that "consume" resources only count towards other buildings of the same name. So with one copper you can build one Bronze Works and one Electric Gear Factory both.

If you have trouble building an Electric Gear Factory anyway, maybe it's something else. Can't remember exactly and can't check myself right now, but maybe the Gear Factory also requires Power?

9. Atilla-My-Hun

Atilla-My-Hun Chieftain

Great mod. Thanks for all of the work you guys have put into this. This is the most well polished mod I've ever come across. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is stunning. I've played several games since the latest release and I'd like to provide some feedback if you don't mind - just some small things I noticed.

- The Kitab-i Bahrye scientific wonder can be built in a non-coastal city which shouldn't be possible since it gives a bonus to water units built in the city.
    - Notre Dame requires a potter's workshop to build. This can be an issue since a potter's workshop is such an early building. I find myself either forgetting where I built them, or they are built in cities where I do not want to build this wonder by the time it becomes available.
    - There should be a limit on the amount of scientific wonders (great scientist) that can be built per city, or at least limit it to so many per era. I noticed the AI (namely Portugal on the huge world map) loves to wonder whore and stack tons of these in a single city. These are very powerful, especially when combined with other wonders that also give bonuses to beaker %. Limiting this type of wonder per city shouldn't be an issue since a great scientist is capable of building it in any city.
    - Have you ever considered making Portugal a full blown civ? I think this might help to cut down on their wonder whoring. Joao has managed to steal the title from Elizabeth as RI's all time greatest wonder whore.

Now this is a complete wish list of mine and most if not all are probably not possible due to the limitations of the game, and just the amount of time that would be involved.
    - Do you have any plans on adding the Byzantine Empire? Very cool civ and this would be amazing on the huge world map.
    - Do you have plans to add tea and cocoa? These are really the only two resources that I feel are missing. I don't know if the game is capable of placing more resources properly... knowing this mod I have a hunch that you would have added tea already if there wasn't some sort of issue with doing so.
    - Granting independence to cities on a new continent. It would be nice if you could chose to grant independence to a select few cities, while still retaining some territory. Think the British Empire - America/Canada.

10. Dr Roach

Dr Roach Chieftain

The Byzantines are sorta split between the Romans (Constantine) and Greeks (Justinian, Komnenos), which I think is fine. I'd rather have the Khmers before the Byzantines or Portuguese, though I think it might be cool to have Portugal be tied together with Brazil too.

11. PaperPaulo

PaperPaulo Chieftain

Brazil split into Tupi and Portugal civilizations would be nice. :)

12. Dr Roach

Dr Roach Chieftain

I think making the Tupi and Brazil one nation would be best, like how the Aztecs have Mexican leaders, but reversed- Brazil with Brazilian and the occasional Tupi leaders.

13. Atilla-My-Hun

Atilla-My-Hun Chieftain

Anyone know how I can allow Portugal to build cities early game on the world map scenario? I have a hunch that will will reduce their wonder whoring.

14. Shuikkanen

Shuikkanen Warlord

Their Settler unit is one that requires a mid-game tech. Change their Settler unit to a normal one, Spain probably has a Settler that has the correct cultural look. To do this, find the Portugal civ in a file that says something like "othercivs" or "derivativecivs" in Realism\XML\Assets(...) Like all civs it has a list of units that replace the default game unit. I'm guessing just deleting the entry for settler would work but to get the right art look, use the same as Spain just in case it's different from default (you'll find Spain under a different file).

15. OrlindaT

OrlindaT Chieftain

Have anyone here seen the AI splitting his empire by creating colonies?
    In my current game Elizabeth has colonized half of South America and she didn't create any colonies by the end of the 18th century.

I know that theres a function named AIdo_split() at the CvPlayer.cpp file or CvPlayerAI.cpp but I don't see any way of increase the AI willingness to create colonies.

Anyone knows how can I modify it myself?

thanks and sorry for my grammar

16. Walter Hawkwood

I don't really understand what you were trying to ask here, sorry.

Well, the main bonus is still the research speed. Would be wrong to deny it to other cities just because they aren't coastal. So this one is better left to common sense and good judgment.

Yeah, I see how this can be an issue. Will probably remove the requirement.

They go obsolete quite quickly. Stacking them is generally a good idea for any civ, and a valid strategy, as is, in a more generic way, specializing your cities.

There will most likely not be any more full blown civs.

Byzantines are basically already medieval Greece in RI. Byzantine units, leaders, great people, buildings etc. - everything you could ask from a separate civ, with added bonus of meaningful content in other eras. :)

There will not be any more map resources. Their number already interferes with resource placement on random maps, and there is already too much resource-induced happiness in RI.

It's not like Britain wanted to grant USA independence. :)

Anyway, never messed with this before, don't know if it is realistically implementable.

I think I saw it happen a couple of times in earlier versions, but it is indeed very rare. I actually think that's mostly because in most cases it isn't really to AI's advantage to do so, so this is simple sound judgment. You're better off not releasing stuff than releasing it.

17. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

Who is LEADER_GUIDO from CIV4LeaderHeadInfos file? Couldn't find him in Civilopedia...

18. Walter Hawkwood

Ugolino della Gherardesca. Tags don't have to match the names. It is easiest to check them in Leaders.xml

19. Alexej

Alexej Prince

Free market civic is too strong compared to others I am now with 13 cities capable to have like 4000 in research on 55% still earning money. This drops to less than half with other civics /protectionism, planned economy/, is war weariness alone enough to make it balanced?

Razing Austroinesian cities spawns militias of Rome = its vassal :O save provided

Superheavy tank gets blitzkrieg promotion but can not choose special promos bound to this doctrine only regular promos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  20. haroon

haroon Emperor

Hello, to be honest with you I haven't download the newest version, because I still unable to finish my hotseat game yet we play already for more than a month even months, I don't know exactly.

However this is what I want to tell you, we encounter something strange today. So me and my wife have a quite big quarrel with her mother, and it somewhat affect our moods all through the day, and we keep talking about it, and we feel so negative. At night, we decide to start our game, then something strange happened, in the loading screen there is a text telling us that "be nice to your mother", and this is really hit our nerves so hard.

Our question, of course you put it over there, but what is your intention? And this is the first time we see this message after playing this game for years, what is your motive behind this? This is coincident is so strong that it turn to be quite creepy for us. And this is the first time we read this message and in the very right time hence it hit us so bad