1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. globosud

globosud Chieftain

why in diplomacy I have no selectable alliances, it is only my problem, or alliances in the 50-civ world scenario are not implemented?
    I am not talking about defensive pacts, but alliances

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. globosud

globosud Chieftain

In scenario,where find game mod option?
    if I make a custom scenario, I can only select permanent alliances

3. globosud

globosud Chieftain

I can not activate alliances even in the editor, I do not find how to do it, the only thing I have in the option is active permanent alliances, I am in the modern era, of the world huge scenario, and I have never had the alliance option, or defensive pact. Am I wrong? have civ 4 complete edition 3.19, and realism invictus 3.4. In the patch note I have read that defensive pact, they have been deactivated, but I have not read anything about alliances (non-permanent)

4. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

You are right, it should be possible to establish aliances, or defensive pacts at least!

5. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

I wish I could use some diplo options* from RAND into RI but I think there are not compatible. I'd rather play RI even thoug Im missing some RAND stuff. In life you cannot have it all ;)

6. globosud

globosud Chieftain

Ok, therefore it is not possible, the only thing is to activate permanent alliances.

7. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

Don't lean on me, please wait for someone who knows RI mechanics better and reply!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. aantia

aantia Chieftain

Are alliances other than Permanent Alliances even a thing in civ4? It's been years since I last played without RI, so I can't remember, but I didn't think they were.

9. globosud

globosud Chieftain

I remembered they were there. sorry :) my fault

aantia likes this.
  10. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

Hi there, I started a game with SVN revision 5225 and reached modern era, then I created a scenerio trhough world builder to continue the game with revision 5231 updates. It works but as soon as civilizations switches gov their flags turns white, red, black, etc. What am I missing?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. Dr Roach

Dr Roach Chieftain

Alliances were disabled because they tended to cause ginourmous world wars or just result in geopolitical gridlock. However, you can turn them on in a specific file somewhere.

Also, about the multiple of the same civ appearing, I think that is fine with the new dynamic name system. Perhaps just make sure the same leader doesn't get used, if at all possible. Also, may I suggest that different leaders have different country names - i.e. the Nguni leaders Nelson Mandela and Shaka rule South Africa and Zulu respectively.

12. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

What Walter is doing with civ dynamic names and flags its a beauty. An admirable addition to all those unit models you can enjoy watching on the field. Its far the best mod for those who look for some kind of realism. As a 40+ years old player like me enjoying this PC game like a child is priceless. My last wish to crown this mod would be by adding a little depth into diplo issues, like unfold "open borders" in two options like trade agreements (include tech transfer) and free pass of military units as a separate issue. Or the possibility to trade or give military units (except soldiers or workers) Have non aggression pacts or defensive pacts. Thats all. Thanks again for your woderfull work Walter and collaborators!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  13. arizzi

arizzi Chieftain

I get a crash when playing on earth evolutions with the latest SVN. I've attached the save.

Windows 10
    16gb Ram
    3gb Vram

Attached Files:

14. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

15. Robalex

Robalex Chieftain

Hi Walter, started a game under revision 5233. Will next updates (if any) be save game compatible?

16. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Eh, I thought about it and it just causes more problems. There is no way of distinguishing your rebels from any other rebels, so it would turn that into an ideal tool for sniping the cities from other civs when they rebel. What might be good instead is if they reduced the separatism in cities these units are stationed in, but I will see if I can code it in an efficient way. Don't want to slow down stuff too much with calculations.

Multiples do happen still, but yeah, now they should be visually separate. So now the system should be working as intended.

I think it's just some technical stuff related to how walls/palisades interact with each other. Should be working as intended in game anyway.

Thanks for pointing out a typo. Fixed. BTW, further suggestions for flags/names are quite welcome, I am not omnipotent, I can always miss stuff.

As pointed by others, defensive pacts were intentionally disabled, as unlike in real world, they actually did a fine job at preventing world wars. In my tests I've never seen a single war in the world after defensive pacts were unlocked.

All in the plans. :)

I want to do the base versions for every civ first, and then I'll delve into the leader-specific stuff for a bit.

It is pointless to request new diplomatic features from me. It's more or less on the level of requesting me turning the map into hex-based instead of square-based. It's just not technically possible for me to do.

All further sources of that particular kind of crash should be solved now.

Ugh, I don't really get why people feel there are any "save game compatible" SVN updates at all. This has caused me so much trouble over the years. Not only are you ruining your own game, but later I see and have to investigate "bugs" reported that don't really come from RI at all. As always when asked this question:

You never update SVN during an ongoing game, excluding very specific and rare cases where an update is rolled out to fix a very specific crash issue you are currently experiencing - but then I will be sure to inform people that it is safe to update. To reiterate, the answer to this question is always NO. There are no save game compatible updates, even when they look that way. I should probably make sure that each update causes instant CTD in existing games, to minimize the amount of issues people experience with SVN.

Prester John 2 likes this.
  17. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

hi folks,

i wonder - can i play RI 3.4 in multiplayer? without oos?

18. Neonprime

Neonprime Chieftain

Hello Walter, thank you for the great effort in this mod

I was thinking, why not German Empire name and flag under monarchy government to the german civ?

19. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Didn't try it myself, but people have been reporting mixed results - worked for some, OOS for some. I tried to hunt down all possible sources in SVN, and either eliminate them outright, or at least make major components responsible toggleable so they can be turned off for an MP game.

For naming schemes, I generally reserved "... empire" names (and flags that go with them) for Despotism civic (which in RI is also a monarchy, just with more authoritarian leanings). So the flag and name are already in RI, just for a different-flavored Germany. :)

I would have considered using this flag for Monarchy civic anyway, if Germany didn't have any other historically appropriate options - but Germany is one of those civs that actually have more good options than I had an opportunity to use. I may end up using North German Confederation (that had the same flag as Imperial Germany) for Bismarck if/when I do leader-specific ones. But I won't be using "German Empire" name for non-despotism civics to avoid player confusion. Unlike contemporary England for instance, Germany post-unification doesn't actually have a non-imperial official name.

20. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

well, since your based off of kmod,
    it should be better i guess.

i hope to give it a spin....

thanks.