1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Sathar

Sathar Chieftain

Minor suggestion: Maybe Local Autonomy should provide a (small) reduction in Separation? Isn't the whole point of granting a city leniency to lessen their desire to break away?

2. Sinaherib

Sinaherib Chieftain

A couple of small things I noticed about Europe Scenario:
    1)Russia and Ukraine seem to be using the same border colour (as I remember Ukraine's colour is teal/light blue normally, but in this scenario it is yellow at the moment). It can become very confusing because their starting positions are close to each other.
    2)Did I get it right that Judea is the only non-playable civ in Europe Scenario? Because all other "minor civs" (such as Babylonia or Finland) are playable.

3. cfeyyaz

cfeyyaz Chieftain

Hi, I have an editing question:

I want -for instance- Trading World Maps to be enabled, only if both civs already have Paper technology - just like for Defensive Pacts and Permanent Alliances. Is there an easy way to do such a thing?

4. Sathar

Sathar Chieftain

SVN 5256 Armenia Huge World Map:

At first I thought it was an oddly undocumented NI stealth buff -- After 1 turn of use Highland Pasture is being replaced by a Wheat resource. Even if intentional, it's going to get old fast.

5. Jaded1

Jaded1 Chieftain

Hi Walter, First off I have been playing Realism Invictus for years.. Because it's the best Civ game in the world. I was sad to hear the team has moved on and this will be the last update. But I am looking forward to it. Anyway not sure if you can still add this before the release. But one thing that's bugged me over the years is that when you unlock Pharmacy and Botany you get Brandy (Wine), Rum (Sugar) and Vodka (Wheat) but you don't have Sake (Rice). It would make the Eastern nations able to get the +1 Happiness from the Tavern, and a trade resource as well. Just as most of the rest of the World seems to get.

aantia likes this.
  6. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

All right everyone, it seems that we're one update away from 3.5. I'm doing the housekeeping now - updating the manual, checking all hints are up to date etc... So if you've been hoarding bugs and/or balance observations to report, now's the time.

-1 FS chance would basically turn the promo into non-entity. With equal odds (where the modifiers matter most), 5% strength modifies victory chance more than 1 full FS (and is roughly equal to 2 FS). I don't really get where the perception of it being unbalanced comes from. I did change it to -2 FS chances, but that's against my better judgment, and -1 FS chance is certainly out of question.

Since Fishing docks are basically the cheapest building out there, this would basically equal just giving +1:health: to all coastal cities. Which kinda makes sense, but isn't very helpful from gameplay PoV. Coastal cities are already better in many ways. While it is a good suggestion, I think I won't be implementing it.

Thanks! The efforts are finally coming to an end result. :)

No idea. Probably in CIV4BuildInfos.xml

Implemented.

No easy way. You'd have to dig in the dll code.

Thanks for pointing out! That's what I always get when I mess around with improvements carelessly, an enum mismatch. Fixed in the latest revision.

Firstly, sake is not a distillate, so it can't be produced by a distillery. Secondly, humans are generally very inventive when it comes to producing alcohol. Why rice but not potatoes (aquavit) or corn (bourbon)? Creating a distillery for everything humans actually used for distilling would not only create more building clutter, but also turns alcohol into a non-resource. If everyone has it, it could just be a +1 base happiness from a tavern building. Currently it is at least somewhat scarce.

7. aantia

aantia Chieftain

I often find that the unit flags don't update properly when I change civics (which is a very cool feature, btw). I think that they don't update until I move the unit, but I haven't really checked. This has been the case for me since you added the feature.

8. Walter Hawkwood

Yup, this is unfortunately true. I think there is no way for me to fix that, as it has to do with how the Civ 4 engine loads graphic assets. If one wants to reset all flags to proper ones, a save-load can do that, but I don't think I can influence it directly.

9. aantia

aantia Chieftain

Fair enough. I'll just have to think of them as traditional regimental standards :)

10. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

I know this is asking a release date but we are about to launch a PBEM game using the old version. Would you recommend us waiting a week longer?

11. Jaded1

Jaded1 Chieftain

Okay i respect that logic on Pharmacy and Botany.. I do have one last query. Have you fixed up the Aztec and Maya.. They had buildings that were designed around Sacrificing Population while running the Slavery Civic. But a while back you guys disabled that button because of problems with the AI. So i was wondering if there was something that could be done to re-balance them by changing the benefits of those buildings ?

12. Walter Hawkwood

I wouldn't. While I will very likely be finished in a week, I can't build an installer by myself - and as I can't speak for the person who'll be doing it, it's probably better to err on the side of caution.

Yep. They got different effects and/or buildings quite a while ago.

13. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

1) Mughal civ leader Jahangir sometimes greets me with this.
    Spoiler :

2) I think there's a typo here.
    Spoiler :

3) The scroll says he's a spy but the game says he's an artist.
    Spoiler :

4) Something's wrong with the new Transoxianan improvement (btw it's awesome!:crazyeye:).
    Spoiler :

5) I hate to bring this up again but the Russian version of a great bombard is still in its old form (with a city attack bonus and a lower city bombardment strength).

6) Played another game (SVN 5245) until industrial era which ended (for me it's a gamebreaking bug) with a drop in expenses. Again.

Attached Files:

14. Walter Hawkwood

Thanks for all these! It was really helpful and you'll notice most of them were fixed in the last revision. And the save has allowed me to identify the reason for the bug. Here's a dll for if you want to continue that particular save - otherwise the fix will be incorporated into the next revision. You will still see a slight drop in expenses - but this is not the bug, but rather an adjustment to a "new norm", as it is calculated a bit differently now.

Attached Files:

15. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

That's great news! Tell me more about this "new norm": is it going to happen during the game or is it a new formula for the whole game?

16. Walter Hawkwood

Nah, it's just that particular save game needs to adjust to a formula that's not broken (which will lead to a one-time adjustment of inflation from 175% to ~110%). Otherwise it will work normally. In a new game, you won't notice the change, as everything will be working as expected. I might actually decide to change the actual figures a bit if I see it produces a consistently lower inflation though.

17. cfeyyaz

cfeyyaz Chieftain

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I feel, in many cases cities on land do just fine because they have some forests around them, while coastal cities, especially islands suffer from being surrounded by those "useless" coastal tiles and get :yuck:. I also don't agree that coastal cities are better in many other ways. Their greatest strength is :traderoute:, obviously. But they can't build as many farms or mines so they will have less population and less buildings than many other land cities throughout the game. Also, if you want to build a navy, the coastal cities will be responsible for that, which means the coastal cities will further be neglected.

All in all, I don't think coastal cities are that good. In fact, if you compare a coastal city with a riverside city, which gets +2 :health:, an early river dock, :commerce: bonus from riverside tiles, they are pretty terrible :). And I feel, +1:health: bonus with a very cheap structure is exactly what they need! It deals with the health problem at the early game, so that you can concentrate more on growth and development of the city, so that it gets going and can keep up.

18. Zap0

Zap0 Chieftain

First of all, let me thank you for all the effort you've put into this mod. I've been playing it for years now and it's my definite favorite, in good part because of the solid balance.

If you're taking feedback, I have a few things.

There's a bit of an oddity in the techtree where you unlock two naval techs right after another (Steam Engine and Armor Plating). Although the Armored Cruiser feels like a direct upgrade over the Steam Frigate unlocked just one tech earlier in many ways, it has a justified niche as a faster unit type, despite being so close to another unit in the tech tree.
    Why are they so close? Well, you need Mass-produced Steel and High Seas Warfare for the Steam Engine, and both of those plus Steam Engine for Armor Plating, so these techs are closely intertwined. Armor Plating having the requirement of Mass-produced Steel is completely redundant due to it being a direct requirement for one of it's other requirements (the Steam Engine).
    Was something changed in the tech tree here in recent versions? Apart from removing the redundant requirement, I suggest adding a secondary requirement to Armor Plating to make it not immediately available once you have researched Steam Engine - say Nitroglycerine or Military Industry.
    Alternatively maybe split it up into two techs, one of which unlocks the Ironclad and the Industrial Shipyard (maybe also obsoleting the old materials and giving you the Gunboat) and a later tech (with the extra requirement) that gives you the Armored Cruiser.

Some other related observations about Naval balance in the Era:
    The Ironclad seems underpowered. I've been struggling to find a niche for it, with it being so slow and not having the terrain move cost modifier. Lacking the +1 Gold cost (which I don't find has much of an impact) and being slightly cheaper to build it sounds like a good defensive option against lower-tech sailboat opponents, except sailboats can outrun it and the only other ship it can defeat is a Gunboat or transport, the other ships of the era are sufficiently more powerful than it. Additionally it has the same iron and coal resource requirement as the other major warships of the era. Giving it a niche as a resource-starved option by cutting one or both of it's requirements is an option, but then it encroaches on the role of the Gunboat.
    Perhaps the Ironclad could use the coastal ship modifier? That's what it's movement limitations make it out to be anyway, and it'd actually be defensiveley competetive against Steam Frigates (which still outrun it).

Another thing: The +100% against sailing ship bonus is quite powerful, obsoleting fleets of Line-Ships overnight (via the Steam Frigate). Perhaps reduce the Steam Frigate bonus to +50%? Still powerful, but existing fleets have a chance to compete with their large warships. Or reduce it's base strength to that of a regular Frigate and keep the bonus. That would also give the Ironclad more of a reason to exist. The paddlewheeler, being a transport, having such a large bonus is also weird.

Second topic:
    Not really a fan of the change to require two Limestone resources for the new Masonry Materials. I rarely ever get two Limestones, if even one, so that puts paved roads out of reach for most of my games until the late middle ages pending coal. The change in principle I like with how you split the construction speed boni to be half Limestone, half Masonry Materials for some things. Perhaps we just need to touch all maps and mapgens to include more stone.

sazhdapec likes this.
  19. Marrci

Marrci Chieftain

Wooden ships went obsolote when the first Steam frigates were created. They couldnt compete with them in any way.

Even ironclads beat wooden ships (Gloire), and they were utterly hopeless vs steam frigates (Warrior).

Ironclads could use that +50% vs sailing, but the 100% of Steam frigates is totally accurate and justified.

20. Walter Hawkwood

Hm, all good points, some didn't cross my mind. Perhaps a buff is in order - though I guess I'll increase the production cost of the fishing docks to compensate.

All good points. And while I agree with Marrci on the real-life historical match-up between those ships, there are also gameplay concerns, and to give Ironclads at least some purpose, I will buff them a little. They'll get more mobility (even though the actual speed of the early ironclads was meh, we could treat it as an ability to output that speed consistently) and a bonus to coastal attack/defense, further reinforcing their defensive role. I will lower the vs sail bonus of steam frigates and paddlewheelers to +50% (which in game terms still means that a steam frigate will consistently demolish even a SotL one on one).

Limestone was tweaked to make it more abundant; but more to the point, this is the very purpose of that change - having masonry materials before brick kilns is supposed to be a powerful boon, and quite rare at that. Basically Romans with their infrastructure vs all of their neighbors. Two units of limestone aren't intended to be readily available to most civs.