1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

Been awhile. I never thought you guys would call RI finished. Congratulations, Walter and team. I'll be streaming it as time goes by (as newer civs have exhausted my patience with all the issues.)

One problem: Blue Marble doesn't work with RI. It works on the Steam version I'm using now but not the mod itself. I need my black background bright white text so I can see what I'm doing. Any ideas?

2. Colon

Colon King

Been checking the revolutions.py file: am I right to believe the numbers in def __init__(self) can safely be changed without anything game-breaking happening? And is self.iMaxZone kind of a general amplitude setting for the revolutions module? Would changes also affect existing saves?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  3. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

Figured it out.

FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS A CUSTOM UI COLOR/FONT SIZE:

1. Download Blue Marble
    2. Install Blue Marble
    2a. If using steam, create a file (txt is what I use) in Steam/Steamapps/Common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/ called Civilization4.exe (change the extension) and point Blue Marble there.
    3. On the UI change tab, click show affected files
    4. Copy said single file to mods/Realism Invictus/Resource/Realism Invictus and overwrite.

BEHOLD! You can now see your UI!

4. bjorne75

bjorne75 Chieftain

Hi!

I have a question that I hope that someone can help me with. I would like to install 3.5 but I am worried that this will give me problem with some ongoing games in 3.4. Is it possible to have both versions installed on the computer and switch between them depending on which game I like to play?

Thanks!
    Björn

5. fuir

fuir Chieftain

Hey guys,

Started to play this great mod yesterday, and it's awesome! I just have one big issue and that is separatism, at the current game (344BC) I keep loosing cities because of it. I have "alot" of soldiers in the cities, but i still loose them :/.

Could someone help me with why this is happening? I add a picture from one of the cities i'm loosing, could someone tell me why I loose it? If i check the separatism info i have +2 from faith, -36 from difficulty (?), 10 from rebels (?), 10 from buildings. Then i see one total of -36 and another of 59. What does it all means?

https://imgur.com/j74SMOB

6. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

There's not enough information. Can you provide a savegame?

7. qrek1

qrek1 Chieftain

Just downoloaded and started new game. First city, I builded smokehouse, city grown and smokehouse doesnt work properly. It should stored 20% food of 88 but stored almost nothing. And it is just beginnig, what can I expect in future?

8. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

If you built a smokehouse the turn city grew the effect would not trigger. Does it keep happening every time the city grows?

9. Törnqvist

Törnqvist Chieftain

Hi, I recently discovered this mod, and am having an absolute blast with it. It made me go back to Civ 4 again, and now I feel like this is the ultimate Civ experience!

I encountered one thing that seems like a bug though. Is the slavery civic still allowing you to hurry production by "sacrificing" population? Because the slavery civic description says nothing about this, and hovering over the button to hurry production with population says nothing about what is required for this either.

On the other hand, for hurrying with GOLD, it says explicitly which civics enable this in the civic descriptions, or if you hover over the hurry button.

I have not yet tried the slavery civic, because it looked pretty weak to me before I realized that it may allow hurrying production. Currently there is pretty much no way of knowing this, except if you dig it up on the "hurry production" civilopedia page - but that's not exactly apparent.

It makes me wonder if there are other "hidden" game mechanics or bonuses for other civics, techs, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  10. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

No, you cannot sacrifice population under slavery. Mostly because AI handles this mechanic poorly.

11. Törnqvist

Törnqvist Chieftain

Ah that's good to hear, thanks. Then I know this is by design, and that the UI can be trusted. There is just some outdated info on the civilopedia hurry production page.

12. 2popbulb

2popbulb Chieftain

If number is negative it means city won't rebel. If it is positive and above 10 you can lose that city. However,there are two modifiers. One is for each city and you can see it on the city screen.
    Second is global modifier. You can see it when you click on revolution tracker. It is placed in the upper left corner next to event log and interface options. It affects all cities in your empire. If your score is highest or your military is strongest you get positive modifier. If you are at war and losing too many units and cities you'll get positive war attrition modifier.

13. Crispy007

Crispy007 Chieftain

SIR , YOU ARE LEGENDARY!

14. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Delighted to see this new version of RI - it's given me many hours of enjoyment over the last 7 or 8 years. Congrats and many thanks to Walter and the team.

15. globosud

globosud Chieftain

good patch 3.5 , but very easy , in the huge world map in 3.4 I had difficulties even on a noble level, in 3.5 I also win easy on imperator level.
    for me 3.4 is the best version of this mod.
    however realism invictus remains the most beautiful patch of civilization 4, if I continue to play it and only thanks to this mod. Thanks for everything
    Can I know if there is the possibility of having 3.4 and 3.5 installed at the same time?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  16. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Generally that's just how Civ 4 engine works. But also consider that IRL building a new better road usually happens in a different location to an older road rather than on top of it.

Hey man, glad to hear from you! Been awhile indeed. I'm happy you figured it out yourself as frankly I'd have been at a loss.

To answer your questions: yes, yes, yes and yes.

Theoretically you could rename your existing "Realism Invictus" folder to something else, install 3.5 and then rename the 3.5 folder to something else and 3.4 folder back to "Realism Invictus" if you want to keep playing both. But the one you're playing right now has to be called "Realism Invictus" to work properly.

You could use the method above, but generally speaking you're better off using 3.5 and turning off new features you don't like. The major culprit for difficulty, I feel, is the revolutions - so just turn that off in custom scenario options, and you'll get an experience close to 3.4, but with more content and better polish in general.

Colon likes this.
  17. Törnqvist

Törnqvist Chieftain

Nordic Shortswordman seems to be built from hammers + food somehow. Is this intentional? If so I don't see the logic behind it, or a description of this anywhere.

Currently I'm building the Nordic Shortswordman with 3 :food: + 19 :hammers: (and hovering over these stats tells me I get +3 :hammers: from +3 :food: surplus).

If I'm switching to any other military unit, such as Nordic Axemen or Nordic Bowman, and work the same tile - then this unit is only built with 19 :hammers: .

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  18. pioswa

pioswa Chieftain

Yes it is intentional. These are irregulars and that unit class is built with hammers and food. As far as i know, logic behind it is that you recruit farmers, peasants, commoners etc to fight for you. When you recruit settlers and workers you don't lose population but you stop producing food, in the same way you recruit irregular troops.

There is description that says it is irregular unit, every irregular unit is recruited that way.

19. Törnqvist

Törnqvist Chieftain

Alright, thanks. I see now that the manual says something about this too:

20. AbuHab

AbuHab Warlord

I don't know if this is a Civ IV issue or a RI issue, but I've never seen it before. I've got two new cities, both adjacent to freshwater lakes and neither adjacent to the ocean. Yet one city can build fishing docks and a lighthouse, and the other cannot. In regular Civ IV, I've never seen a city that's adjacent to a freshwater lake but not adjacent to the ocean be able to build a lighthouse, harbor, etc. Is this an RI thing? If so, is it intentional or a bug?
    CIV IV RI Screenshot.jpg

Here's a partial screenshot using World Builder where you can see that the upper lake never connects to the ocean.
    Partial Screenshot.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020