Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Marshall Ney

Marshall Ney Chieftain

I can't get installer to recognize my game folder which is in steam. What is the path once in steam, "Beyond the Sword" folder??? I have tried several combinations, but no go. Sorry, for post, accidently on purpose found path. Thanks.

2. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

The 2-Nov SVN update was a pleasant surprise and the changes look interesting. Is there any chance of them making it into a 3.5 Hotfix?

3. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Since, as time has shown, most people don't notice the fact that hotfixes exist, I plan to do a final full installer with everything rolled into it. I want to wait for the next EU4 dlc before I release it, as it's likely to contain some SEA ship designs that would be very useful - so it's still likely a couple of months away. It's unlikely to include any major changes past the ones already in SVN though, just a small bunch of new content.

Hamid.H, Terkhen, Zap0 and 4 others like this.
  4. BCheek

BCheek Warlord

This made my day. Now that this mod isn't "officially" in development it's made updates just that much more exciting. I did check out the change log on the SVN and can't wait to try out the new changes. Thanks again Walter.

5. Aisale

Aisale Chieftain

Bug report: Just as the picture, the image of Bavarian Horsemen(Austria) can't be shown normally. Restarting the game is not useful. Rev5290
    无标题.jpg

6. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Prince

i tend to agree. the civic should include reductions for both militancy and war weariness.

i also think other civics should provide reductions to make separatism more manageable. it would also be nice if it was more dynamic and i hope the devs don't take this as criticism, but considering the size of your military in proportion to others and war weariness as the primary factors is a bit one dimensional. im not sure what i could suggest to make the calculations more dynamic.

they way its implemented domination and conquest may not be possible mathematically?

it would be nice if surplus happiness reduced separatism. buying the population off with luxury goods seems practical and perhaps a stop growth button could be added to the city manager interface to facilitate this?

perhaps espionage should have a slight buff for reducing separatism, or maybe buffs could be unlocked with certain techs? this would help during later eras.

having some buildings reduce separatism by a few percentage points may also help? maybe certain civics could unlock building buffs i.e. jails for despotism, dictatorship, etc. and their equivalents for more open societies (free religion, democracy, representation, etc.) i.e. religious communities?

some things like that would make civic changes very interesting.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  7. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

This appears to be affecting air units as well, adversely impacting carriers.

8. AbuHab

AbuHab Warlord

It appears that Berbers can't build aqueducts. Am I correct about this? If so, is this intentional?

9. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

Because their unique building Foggara (available with agriculture) is better (cheaper and provide bonus food) than aqueducts thus eliminating the need in the latter.

Walter, can you explain how this works please?

10. Walter Hawkwood

That fails to take into account the "end of history" modifier that takes over once the number of civs drops far enough. Just be sure to keep one big fish around for long enough so that your score isn't too much higher than anyone else's. I may broaden its trigger to a wider set of conditions though.

All techs start with +100% price per era applied (so none for Ancient, +100% for Classical, +200% for Medieval etc.). Those are gradually removed based on game year - the current trigger points are 1200 BC, 400 AD, 1450 AD, 1750 AD and 1940 AD (each time one "layer" is removed, so for instance in 1200 BC, Classical techs become +0% while Medieval become +100%). So basically you can still research the techs from later eras before they are supposed to logically start, but it will be slower. In roughly half of the test games I ran it doesn't ever become a factor, as if the techs are researched at roughly the expected pace, the price adjustment is removed before most civs get a chance to see it. But since the pace of the game is so heavily dependent on the starting conditions (numbers of civs, how tightly the map is packed, even the personalities of particular leaders), it is there to weed out the cases where games would otherwise progress too quickly by slowing down the pace a bit. The price adjustment is visible in the tech tooltip, same as with, say, tech transfer bonus.

Snowygerry likes this.
  11. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

I realize it's a bit late for new units, but how about a later game version of Privateers (or maybe just make them go obsolete)? It just feels silly watching my attack subs use privateers as a practice target for 1xp (yes, this applies to all obsolete units, but in particular privateers since they may be freely attacked by everyone and can't possibly survive a full turn outside of port, and certainly can't blockade anything).

12. Walter Hawkwood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_off_the_coast_of_Somalia +1 XP for an Indian frigate and some Russian Spetsnaz :lol:

In all seriousness, though, I also understand how hidden nationality units are annoying and, if anyone but the tech leaders field them, of little threat to anything. Historically this was also the case, but unfortunately the rest of the civs build them too when they, in turn, reach those units in their tech trees - and by that time tech leaders have all the shiny toys. Maybe some units should go obsolete on a global scale - for instance, if one civ reaches Steam Engine. I'll give it some thought.

13. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

For the first time managed to spread the religion to a whole continent!:cool:

14. [Y]

[Y] Warlord

Just started a new game with this change, and right now, in the ancient era, trying to research a classical era tech, I'm seeing a -100% science output penalty for "being ahead of time" rather than a +100% science cost. Not quite what you were aiming for, I think, but certainly explains why the test games were so stable. :lol:

15. Walter Hawkwood

As you can see from these screenshots, the actual output (as can be seen in the upper left) does not change. That's just a case of somewhat clumsy description, or rather an artefact. See, many versions ago, Tech Transfer used to work by altering the tech output of the civ while the applicable tech was being researched; it was changed later to instead modifying the cost of the respective tech, which was a "cleaner" solution in that it didn't result in excessive research overflow to the next tech (a standard "lifehack" from these days would be to go 100% research at the last turn of any given tech with tech transfer, to get more overflow). But apparently, as you just pointed out, nobody bothered to change the description - and I just copied that for the new effect. As the person who wrote the code, I can definitely confirm it modifies the tech costs, not the research output. Were it -100% science output, I wouldn't be doing any research progress at all in the screenshot below, obviously.

Spoiler Screenshots :

16. [Y]

[Y] Warlord

Are you certain it's modifying it correctly, then? In that game, it was giving me ~320 turns to research Metal Casting, which costs 647 research, implying a research rate of 2/turn, despite having about 11 gross research per turn.

Sorry I don't have more specifics/screen shots, but when I went in to check, my oldest autosave was at 1180 BC (of course), and now I've also overwritten them when trying to test.

17. [Y]

[Y] Warlord

Here's a screenshot from a new game. Year is 2040 BC, I'm in ancient era earning 14 research per turn, but researching Urban Planning is showing a total cost of 697 research with 232 turns to completion.
    Spoiler :

Edit: Your first screen shot shows this as well: It's taking 197 turns to research Urban Planning instead of (396 / 11) 36 turns. Even if the 396 research total is before the doubling, it should still only be 72 turns, not 197. Something about the current implementation is causing future-era research to happen at 2 research per turn, max.

2nd Edit: Noticed more interesting things.

Year is 1310, looking at shipbuilding (620 research).

If I set my research to 70% (19/turn), it takes 155 turns to research the tech (effectively 4 research per turn).
    If I set my research to 65% (17/turn), it jumps to 207 turns to research the tech (effectively 3 research per turn).
    If I set my research to 50% (13/turn), it jumps to 310 turns to research the tech (effectively 2 research per turn).

Setting it to 55% or 60% doesn't impact total research time, even though they generate 15 and 16 research per turn respectively (total time is 207 turns for both levels).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  18. Walter Hawkwood

Yeah, I will revisit the calculation. Meanwhile I also found it isn't saved properly, so you can easily play on by saving/loading, which kills the modifier altogether. :lol:

19. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

I had some similar concerns about the Ahead of Time malus, now mooted by my 5291 game getting dog-piled mid-Classical as well as your release of SVN 5292.

While waiting now for the SVN to load to try it out, first a quick word:

For a while I haven't been thrilled by the all-or-none stability bonus from Provisional Government after a conquest. I realize that it's a temporary (or not) kludge to keep conquered cities from constantly flipping, but it would feel less obtrusive if it faded out gradually. Maybe instead of going from 100% of the bonus on turn 49 to 0% by turn 51, it could extinguish linearly -- 100% on turn 1 and decreasing by 2% every turn until it's gone after 50 turns.

Something similar could eventually be used with the Ahead of Time calculations, where instead of hitting a wall that disappears on a certain date, the penalty decreases gradually as you get closer to the date.

20. Walter Hawkwood

Since the ahead of time algorithm has to loop through all the techs, I was wary about running it every turn. The discreet five steps have limited its performance impact to just 5 times a game, plus a bit more time on game load. While hypothetically, nothing is preventing this, I really wouldn't want to run that code each turn. A lot of good ideas in Civ 4 modding come down to how much performance one would be willing to pay to see them working. Since I'm not a good coder, I have to restrict myself to changes with minimal impact, as I know my code is often extremely suboptimal - so the fewer times it runs, the better.

As for Provisional government, that would require a separate mechanism that's not yet in place, and it would have come down to an even more performance-heavy routine. But all in all, I tend to think of Provisional government as a "recently pacified" modifier from EU4 - when one puts down a rebellion in a province there, it has a fixed 20(?)-year modifier that prevents rebels from occurring there again. All the civic-based reaction modifiers work the same way, after all - a fixed reduction that goes away after a certain amount of time.