1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

I did not want offend you, i just throw loose ideas how to repair it.

2. Sathar

Sathar Warlord

Thank you!

My first couple of tries with the updated PM script didn't...quite...make maps I "liked", however it's a vast improvement and I believe that it will work out great.

One quality of life question -- I don't know if it's easy or hard but Totestra has some code at the end to shift the map laterally so that the left/right map edges hopefully go through water instead of cutting through a major land mass. Is it feasible to port that into PerfectMongoose?

3. Nicopathe

Nicopathe Chieftain

A lot of great SVN updates lately on Realism Invictus !
    Which make me still enjoying the game 10 years++
    Thanks for your great work and dedication to Civilization Walter, we love you.
    NoP

4. Zap0

Zap0 Chieftain

I lose sight of civ for three months and come back to find a whole bunch of new SVN updates! Nice :)

Just conquered a barb city named Parthia while also having a competitor named Mithridates I of Parthia in charge of the Parthian Empire. After razing the city I can see why he named me his worst enemy :lol:

5. terian1980

terian1980 Chieftain

will there be a 3.6 release?

6. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

hope not so fast, it funny when you are in indrustal era on monarch difflucty in 1400 AD xDD
    well, quite realism i guess

https://imgur.com/9z9dsAc

7. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

If you're talking about PerfectMongoose, then it's unlikely to be vastly different from before - the landmass generator is mostly untouched, though the starting plot distribution and other such stuff should be improved - but this is very hard to quantify. You're probably better off with Totestra if it's a different continent shape you want.

That's a very firm "maybe" from me. Map generators are generally very arcane when it comes to their inner workings, but I think I've seen the relevant piece of code. I might give it a try.

Thanks! Always nice to hear.

Heh, the current city naming is designed to prevent such stuff - for instance, you won't see Magyar as barbarians if there is a Hungarian civ in play. This particular case seemed to be an exception though, and I've worked in a small tweak into the last update to prevent that.

Maybe. If I feel like it.

TBH, this is very very low on my priority list to "fix". Age is simply a figure in the upper right of the screen that does nothing (or as of recently almost nothing) for the gameplay. The eventual "fix" might end up me just turning it off if I get pissed off enough by people complaining about it. :lol:

8. sazhdapec

sazhdapec Warlord

Recent SVNs are tough :sad:

9. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

10. Walter Hawkwood

What's this even? My 3.5 install fails to load it, and if it's SVN, why are you keeping it in "Realism Invictus" folder? It should be all kinds of broken.

11. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

i just copypaste save from "saves" folder
    >It should be all kinds of broken.
    they work, exept last save. give another?
    game froze after army of soviets arriving to my border, i thought maybe its the problem or number of vassals (uh, 10+?)
    i tried declare war on them, remove army with worldbuilder, initial a war between texas and soviets but soviets make instantly peace treaty, i have no idea what to do

i use game version 3.5 with hotfix 7 if something

12. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

13. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

aaand as i said, i make one turn, and game froze forever on "waiting for other civs"
    https://imgur.com/PiJFiR6

whats interesing, game clock, civilopedia or other things work properly
    i can cancel borders with others, change my own Civics but cannot open diplomacy window
    edit: WHOA, you have global warming window? what a shame i never watch it working but i hope will be work like in civ2 when global warming turn land into desserts and jungles

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  14. Colon

Colon King

@Walter Hawkwood

I was hoping to use add a bombard unit to my heavily modded RevDCM and use your graphics for it, however, I can't find the graphics anywhere. CIV4ArtDefines_Unit points to files in Art/Units and Art/Interface but there are no such folders in the RI folder. In fact, I can't find the mentioned files anywhere on my computer. Could you point me to them?

I don't know if you're taking suggestions but I had a thought relating to the rebels components of RI. Absolutely feel free to ignore it though (I sort of gathered you weren't anxious to put a lot of further work in it), but I was thinking it'd be nice it would be purely restrictred to letting vassals break free and to allowing a dead civ to return to the game. So that when a civ is gobbled up by someone, there's a possibility (which needn't be large) the cities with its culture break free again. To me, that's all that's really needed from the component is an element that gives the potenial (I doesn't even need to happen every game) to counter the propensity of a civ4 game to concentrate in ever fewer sides (masters+vassals). I was thinking/hoping restricting the component to that (or even just lettings vassals rebel, especially colonies) might not be too complicated to balance.

15. Walter Hawkwood

Both my 3.5 installs crash when trying to load it; from my side it looks like a checksum conflict - have you modified your RI install in any way? If the mod's checksum was changed (for instance, by adding or removing even a single unit in XML), I will not be able to open it without having the same checksum on my side.

What you need is in the pak files. Use this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/pakbuild.2384/

Colon likes this.
  16. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

nope, pure install version, first time when it happen when playing your mod

17. arizzi

arizzi Chieftain

Hmm the ahead of time penalty is interesting for sure. The intent seems to be to match up the techs better with the year, however I think this might also disproportionately punish playing tall and favor playing wide. I always saw faster technological progress as the main and perhaps only strength of the former. If the purpose is only to better align techs with the dates then perhaps the malus should affect all techs regardless of era, as to preserve the relative difference between civs. At that point it might be better to remove the malus completely as it would seem to only slow the game down. Anyway those are just some thoughts.

I also wanted to say this mod is amazing! I can't over state that. Actually stupendous. I've been playing this for close to a decade at this point and I've gotten so much value out of it. So a huge huge thanks from me!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  18. Walter Hawkwood

Sorry that it doesn't work at my side for some reason then. Can't offer any meaningful feedback.

It is mostly there to clamp on singular civs (AI or player) getting ahead in techs too much. As it doesn't prevent tech progress, but rather slows it down, one can still be ahead in tech, and being ahead is still advantageous, but it lessens the snowballing effect where the further ahead in tech you are, the easier it is to get even further ahead in tech. I can also envision particular game setups (lots of civs, lots of resources, everyone relatively friendly to each other) where this would apply to many civs instead of just one - but in that case, it is probably also a preferable outcome, since that would mean the tech progression in general in that game was far too quick. A feedback loop, nothing more.

Tied to particular in-game years just to minimize the calculations involved and make it more predictable for players. As I said many times before, I don't really care about syncing the in-game progress to the in-game date, so long as you have enough turns to potentially assure a victory of your choice (so the world being medieval by 1900 would, for instance, worry me, not because of the date itself but rather due to it being an indication that a tech victory in that game is impossible before the time victory number of turns passes).

19. DeepWell

DeepWell Chieftain

I've been trying to put my head around this in the past days. I'm quite satisfied with the idea of gradually aligning the tech pace with the era years.

Technical example: eras are divided in four parts. If Renaissance is 1250 -1700 AD then
    1st: 1250 -1363
    2nd: 1363 - 1475
    3rd: 1475 - 1588
    4th: 1588 - 1700

Now if I'm in Industrial era I would get research penalty according to which part of Renaissance the timeline is.
    1st: 100% (of the whatever amount the actual penalty is)
    2nd: 75%
    3rd: 50%
    4th: 25%.

The same way those who are still in Medieval era get bonus instead of penalty. This idea could of course be fine tuned as much as needed.

20. DisposableHero

DisposableHero Chieftain

Aha, a fellow map obsessive I see! Like you, every few years I battle with the map generators to get something that:

1) isn’t a giant blob and has some interesting geography to it
    2) ideally has a new world
    3) doesn’t isolate AI on tiny islands
    4) is fun to play

Typically I end up spending hours regenerating and eventually using WB to reposition.

I’d love to hear what settings you are using in your map generation. Honestly I find the whole thing arcane and can never quite figure out what all the options are meant to do.